Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Old 23rd May 2009, 7:07 PM   #91
Will S

I have a sound card but with the size of the GPU its a tight fit and the onboard sound sounds ok...to be honest I am impressed
Old 24th May 2009, 11:41 AM   #92
JuzIE

I'm using the onboard audio from the Rampage Formula and it sounds ok. I did have some problems when i first built my pc though, as it had issues with the RAID but that was fixed.

I'd have to agree though, a comparision with onboard would be nice.
Old 24th May 2009, 6:42 PM   #93
Will S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuzIE View Post
I'd have to agree though, a comparision with onboard would be nice.
Its just plain curiousity

Sound is a very individual thing but would like to see how they rate
Old 27th May 2009, 6:54 AM   #94
rippi

Hi

could you make another comparison for Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 and ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe ?

i'm gonna buy one between this two soundcard , but still dont know which one better..

thanks
Old 12th June 2009, 10:35 AM   #95
Munki

Would buying the Xonar DX be worth it for the performance increase from an oboard? I'm mostly interested in it for the music, and I don't want to spend $200 for a sound card...

Munki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 3:21 PM   #96
Will S

I think there would be a very slight increase but how much I dont know. Basically you wouldnt notice the difference unless you ran benchmark programs.

If you are happy with the sound of your onboard you would be better putting the money away for a better GPU

Actually I am very curious on how a multi core CPU would handle onboard sound. Especially interested in quad core systems. Would one of those cores be able to dedicate itself primary to sound ?
Old 12th June 2009, 5:55 PM   #97
Dodoman

I just got a Xonar U1 and it made my crappy Z2300s sound a 100 times better. One of the best purchases I've made.
Old 20th June 2009, 1:22 AM   #98
telefragd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will S View Post
I think there would be a very slight increase but how much I dont know. Basically you wouldnt notice the difference unless you ran benchmark programs.

If you are happy with the sound of your onboard you would be better putting the money away for a better GPU

Actually I am very curious on how a multi core CPU would handle onboard sound. Especially interested in quad core systems. Would one of those cores be able to dedicate itself primary to sound ?
I think you're a little confused about how audio is handled. Having more processor power doesn't give you better sound quality. Also, all those audio benchmarks do is analyse things such as distortion, SNR and the like. Not necessarily things you'll actually hear.

If you're talking about the effect that onboard sound has on CPU load compared to a sound card, then it really depends on the application, but either way it's not really a concern with hardware now.

On a simplified level, high quality ouput is a combination of a good source, DAC, amplifier and headphones/speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munki View Post
Would buying the Xonar DX be worth it for the performance increase from an oboard? I'm mostly interested in it for the music, and I don't want to spend $200 for a sound card...
I'm not so sure I'd bother considering the speakers you have aren't really stellar. You might hear a difference, but it's difficult to say whether that difference would be worth $115 to you.

Last edited by telefragd; 20th June 2009 at 1:29 AM.
telefragd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 8:45 AM   #99
Will S

I know more CPU doesnt equal better sound quality. And yes, I read quite often that onboard sound has an effect on CPU load , just go through this forum and you will see that quite a lot.

But I am curious to how multi core CPU pass that load, little as it may be , onto different cores.
Old 21st June 2009, 10:38 AM   #100
Munki

Quote:
Originally Posted by telefragd View Post
I'm not so sure I'd bother considering the speakers you have aren't really stellar. You might hear a difference, but it's difficult to say whether that difference would be worth $115 to you.
I went and got it a few days ago, and I must say, I haven't regretted the purchase. Even on the Z4, I have noticed a significantly cleaner sound. Also very evident when I use my ES7s. I know they're not top-range headphones, but the sound is much better coming from the DX than the onboard. It's all good!

Oh and Will S: I'm not entirely sure on what you're trying to find out, but I haven't really noticed any significant usage of CPU processing...I don't think it's able to dedicate a core for sound processing...?

Last edited by Munki; 21st June 2009 at 10:41 AM.
Munki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 11:35 PM   #101
Alba

Very well done review.

RE: STX cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiddi View Post
Can’t have headphones and speakers going at the same time
I was just playing around with mine. Coax plugged into Z5500's and headphones in. With the settings as in the pic I get sound through both. If you set the SPDIF to Dolby Digital Live then you lose sound to the headphones.

Last edited by Alba; 20th July 2009 at 12:22 AM.
Alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 12:34 PM   #102
Criminal_Colt

I was going to get the STX but this review raised some serious concerns. Why spend $200+ on a card that will bring frame rate issues into games?

Could someone expand on this? What causes it, and why on earth is this deemed acceptable?

It seems there is no choice but to go with the Forte.
Old 21st July 2009, 1:32 PM   #103
VeeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criminal_Colt View Post
I was going to get the STX but this review raised some serious concerns. Why spend $200+ on a card that will bring frame rate issues into games?

Could someone expand on this? What causes it, and why on earth is this deemed acceptable?

It seems there is no choice but to go with the Forte.
I can't say I've noticed any unusual stutter in any of the games I play.
This includes Valve games, Empire Total War, Arma 2, Crysis, HAWX etc.

Only problem I've encountered was Trine refusing to load, but I haven't tried it since updating drivers.

Not sure where I read but I think it was HardOCP or xbitlabs that tested each card and all cards actually showed an improvement in FPS by a couple of frames (unnoticable, but there).
VeeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 1:33 PM   #104
Criminal_Colt

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeK View Post
I can't say I've noticed any unusual stutter in any of the games I play.
This includes Valve games, Empire Total War, Arma 2, Crysis, HAWX etc.

Only problem I've encountered was Trine refusing to load, but I haven't tried it since updating drivers.

Not sure where I read but I think it was HardOCP or xbitlabs that tested each card and all cards actually showed an improvement in FPS by a couple of frames (unnoticable, but there).
Ok so it's probably more a one off driver issue?
Old 21st July 2009, 2:21 PM   #105
VeeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criminal_Colt View Post
Ok so it's probably more a one off driver issue?
Let me put it this way; this card could ship with double the amount of issues and I'd still refuse to get rid of it for anything else
VeeK is offline   Reply With Quote