Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Old 11th September 2009, 11:22 PM   #91
Cellsplicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdennutta View Post
Sucks about the Sen situation. Seems to be the done thing for companies to be the monster lately

Anyhoo - Snufkin has put me off the iphone headset idea so now I am after some canal cans which offer the best isolation with decent sound quality. I spend a lot of time around loud stuff like buses (on way to uni etc) and have only recently noticed it *hurts* sometimes.

I have a question re the SuperFi 3Studios.
This lists biflange tips as included (which I assume offer better isolation?) whereas the UE site says includes blunt and foam tips??

These deem to be my best bet in the $100-$200 range? Is there anything up ti $250 which would demand I spend more?

How do the Shure SE210 compare?
I've heard the SuperFi 3S and they are not bad for the price. However I am not a big advocate of expensive IEMs so I find it hard to recommend them

I bought some Audio Technica ATH-CKS50s in Japan for 2990 yen and am totally satisfied. They are a bit dark but I dont want to pay a lot of money for something that is easily lost or broken. However you won't be disappointed with the SuperFi's, they extend well into the highs and also have good bass impact. Can't comment on the Shures as I haven't tried them.
Cellsplicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 11:33 PM   #92
Snufkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdennutta View Post
Sucks about the Sen situation. Seems to be the done thing for companies to be the monster lately

Anyhoo - Snufkin has put me off the iphone headset idea so now I am after some canal cans which offer the best isolation with decent sound quality. I spend a lot of time around loud stuff like buses (on way to uni etc) and have only recently noticed it *hurts* sometimes.

I have a question re the SuperFi 3Studios.
This lists biflange tips as included (which I assume offer better isolation?) whereas the UE site says includes blunt and foam tips??

These deem to be my best bet in the $100-$200 range? Is there anything up ti $250 which would demand I spend more?

How do the Shure SE210 compare?
The Shures offer higher isolation, an easier fit and higher durability.
Despite UE models having a replaceable cable, the Shures tend to last longer.
As far as sound is concerned, the SE210 is warmer and has more prominent bass response than the SF3 which tends to be fairly lean sounding.
If you want a balanced and detailed sound, I'd recommend the RE0 over the SF3 any day.

Quote:
I've heard the SuperFi 3S and they are not bad for the price. However I am not a big advocate of expensive IEMs so I find it hard to recommend them

I bought some Audio Technica ATH-CKS50s in Japan for 2990 yen and am totally satisfied. They are a bit dark but I dont want to pay a lot of money for something that is easily lost or broken. However you won't be disappointed with the SuperFi's, they extend well into the highs and also have good bass impact. Can't comment on the Shures as I haven't tried them.
We'll have the CKS50 in stock soon for those that just want big, boomy, phat, one-note bass and nothing else.

Last edited by Snufkin; 11th September 2009 at 11:36 PM.
Snufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 10:27 AM   #93
holdennutta

Thanks Snufkin & Cellsplicer.

I'd immediately jump on the RE0's but I've only seen them rated as lowish isolation which is my main concern unfortunately as these will generally be worn only outside the house with as little volume as possible.

As long as the Shure's provide better isolation and sound quality (both of which I am sure) than my iPod headphones and my POS CX300s I refuse to use anymore because they sound worse than the new iPod ones(!!!) I'll be happy.

Hopefully order the 210s soonish
holdennutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 1:49 PM   #94
Criminal_Colt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
One thing to be aware of : any headphones with a built in mic/remote WILL FAIL at least once within the warranty period (no matter how much you pay), and definitely once warranty has run out.
Quoted for truth, or personal experience. My DT234's microphone failed once within warranty and then again out of warranty. Main reason I'm upgrading although after...four years(?)...they're pretty worn out anyway (padding wise).
Old 21st September 2009, 12:55 PM   #95
MomijiTMO

I'm looking for headphones under $200 for listening to a range of music genres from trance to hardstyle to extreme metal. Looking at the Audio Technica A700 because the A500 is priced a bit high. I see a lot of people enjoy the Alessandro MS-1s but I'm quite paranoid about people hearing what I'm listening to and play my music at low to moderate levels. As a result, I'm looking at closed ear phones. The Shure SRH440s were recommended in the closed <$200 category in a recommendation thread at Headphones au forum. Any opinion will be taken into consideration. Oh and I like circumaural designs but don't mind supra-aural headphones [have Sen PX 200s for 3 years].
Old 24th September 2009, 10:22 PM   #96
123realtalk

Lately i have been looking for headphones and stumbled upon the audio technica ath series.. I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and the Audio Technica ATH-A700.

cheers
123realtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 10:29 PM   #97
MomijiTMO

Open v closed. If you don't need sound isolation [works both ways, hate people on the bus with bloody open headphones], go for the AD700.
Old 25th September 2009, 5:36 PM   #98
123realtalk

any more opinions?
Old 25th September 2009, 5:41 PM   #99
AlieN101

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123realtalk View Post
Lately i have been looking for headphones and stumbled upon the audio technica ath series.. I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and the Audio Technica ATH-A700.

cheers
AD700's are a decent set of cans for the price, what music do you listen to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post
I'm looking for headphones under $200 for listening to a range of music genres from trance to hardstyle to extreme metal. Looking at the Audio Technica A700 because the A500 is priced a bit high. I see a lot of people enjoy the Alessandro MS-1s but I'm quite paranoid about people hearing what I'm listening to and play my music at low to moderate levels. As a result, I'm looking at closed ear phones. The Shure SRH440s were recommended in the closed <$200 category in a recommendation thread at Headphones au forum. Any opinion will be taken into consideration. Oh and I like circumaural designs but don't mind supra-aural headphones [have Sen PX 200s for 3 years].
if your going with electro id go with the shures, ive heard the SRH440's stack up quite well against there older brother (SRH840) and a great set of headphones for the price.

Over 20 Successful Trades on OCAU!
AlieN101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 5:51 PM   #100
123realtalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlieN101 View Post
AD700's are a decent set of cans for the price, what music do you listen to?

Well, I mainly listen to trance and rnb. From what I've read, the AD700's leak a lot and I need my music to be isolated from the outside, but, according to some people, the AD700's sound better than the A700's. This is why I need some advice between the two.
Old 25th September 2009, 6:47 PM   #101
AlieN101

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123realtalk View Post
Well, I mainly listen to trance and rnb. From what I've read, the AD700's leak a lot and I need my music to be isolated from the outside, but, according to some people, the AD700's sound better than the A700's. This is why I need some advice between the two.
if your happy with very little bass, AD700 would be a good choice.

Over 20 Successful Trades on OCAU!
AlieN101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 7:36 PM   #102
MomijiTMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlieN101 View Post
if your going with electro id go with the shures, ive heard the SRH440's stack up quite well against there older brother (SRH840) and a great set of headphones for the price.
Yeah after a day of no replies I went to headphonic and asked there and BANG ordered the 440s. Thanks for replying though .

Now I'm thing apart from the STX I'm going to buy, should I upgrade to the 840s? lol. STUPID AUDIO. Where is my money?
Old 25th September 2009, 8:37 PM   #103
Nong23

Hey guys,

I've just stumbled across this quite late! I was about to order some BeyerDynamic DTX-800's and saw some very positive things about the SRH440's. The main difference between these it appears is that the Beyer's are open and the SRH440's are closed.

I listen to a variety of music, though things that are reasonably mid-range/bass oriented such as hip-hop, drum and bass and the occasional radio/chart sort of music are mostly used. Some classical/jazz i don't mind to ilsten to while studying either. I also play a limited range of games - though not heavy fps's! Mainly NBA games actually these days lol. I'm not an audiophile or anything. I plan to plug it into the 1/4" port (I think) from an HT receiver that receives an optical signal my PC (it sits on my desk), and also occasionally into a 3.5mm slot off the back of an iMac.

Could anyone who has the DTX-800's or who has got the SRH-440's shed some light as to what they think might be preferable? I had my heart set on the Beyer's until I saw some SRH-440 reviews!

Cheers in advance guys.
PC : AXP 2500+ Barton @ 3200+, Abit NF7-S, 1gb Corsair XMS3200 (2X512), ATI X800XT 256mb, 120gb Seagate 8mb SATA HDD, External USB2.0 Maxtor 8mb 200gb IDE HDD, MS XP Pro SP3, TT WingoV8000A, Corsair HX-620, Pioneer 111D-DVDRW, Sony DRU500A DVDRW
Mac : Powerbook G4 1.5, 512mb DDR, 80gb HDD, 8X Superdrive, OSX 10.4 (Tiger)
Nong23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 8:52 PM   #104
Snufkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nong23 View Post
Hey guys,

I've just stumbled across this quite late! I was about to order some BeyerDynamic DTX-800's and saw some very positive things about the SRH440's. The main difference between these it appears is that the Beyer's are open and the SRH440's are closed.

I listen to a variety of music, though things that are reasonably mid-range/bass oriented such as hip-hop, drum and bass and the occasional radio/chart sort of music are mostly used. Some classical/jazz i don't mind to ilsten to while studying either. I also play a limited range of games - though not heavy fps's! Mainly NBA games actually these days lol. I'm not an audiophile or anything. I plan to plug it into the 1/4" port (I think) from an HT receiver that receives an optical signal my PC (it sits on my desk), and also occasionally into a 3.5mm slot off the back of an iMac.

Could anyone who has the DTX-800's or who has got the SRH-440's shed some light as to what they think might be preferable? I had my heart set on the Beyer's until I saw some SRH-440 reviews!

Cheers in advance guys.

The DTX800 sound better, but the SRH440 is closed, so if you need a closed model the Shures are a great choice, if not go the Beyers.
Snufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 9:12 PM   #105
Nong23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
The DTX800 sound better, but the SRH440 is closed, so if you need a closed model the Shures are a great choice, if not go the Beyers.
Thanks for the prompt response mate. The main question then for me is, how much sound leaks out of the open DTX-800's? I would in most cases not be sitting around many people, if at all, however at night the point of using my phones would be so that others (say 4-5m away) do not hear it. I would use it also to listen to a fair bit of speech while studying (ie uni lectures). Do you reckon this (or rap even) could be heard by others sitting a a few metres away?

Sorry if these are silly questions - I want to get a purchase right lol.

Cheers,

Neel
PC : AXP 2500+ Barton @ 3200+, Abit NF7-S, 1gb Corsair XMS3200 (2X512), ATI X800XT 256mb, 120gb Seagate 8mb SATA HDD, External USB2.0 Maxtor 8mb 200gb IDE HDD, MS XP Pro SP3, TT WingoV8000A, Corsair HX-620, Pioneer 111D-DVDRW, Sony DRU500A DVDRW
Mac : Powerbook G4 1.5, 512mb DDR, 80gb HDD, 8X Superdrive, OSX 10.4 (Tiger)
Nong23 is offline   Reply With Quote