Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 16th February 2012, 11:20 PM   #1396
Ando420

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralDeath View Post
where are u ando
Still keeping an eye on things

Haven't had much time for clocking as I have a new job that's paying very well, I needed it to feed my HW addiction lol

Iv been playing a little with some ddr2 ocz flex I got from snappy on my DFI mobo and having some success but not completely happy as it takes time to tweak ram on 775 and espeshaly on DFI T2RS lol.....so far I have booted and benched 1m pi @ 1300 6-7-6 stock 2.1v.

Also been looking for a cheap i3 or i5 to test on my P55 EVGA SLI, need to find out if it's the mobo or CPU (655k) cbb'ing @ -60 and cb'ing @ -65.

Going to start looking for a cheap dewar in the next month or so, so I can have LN2 stock at home rather then using snappys all the time lol. I will get some dice in the next week or so and test my 960 a little more and I need to test for max FSB on my q6600 on DFI and Blackops, so far 512fsb is max I could get so I need to tweak it and get it sorted before I put her back under Ln2 (5.6ghz bench stable so far) + I have like 10 or so more 775 chips I need to put under Ln2 or dice lol

There is a comp coming up that should have details up next week so keep an eye out and start getting some clean benching os's ready

Last edited by Ando420; 16th February 2012 at 11:23 PM.
Ando420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 16th February 2012, 11:41 PM   #1397
aussie-revhead

Hey, would it be feasible to get a little comp in between comps just to keep interest up? Something within the team maybe, no prize, its more for practice, or do you guys just hwbot bench for that?

Its just a thought.

aussie-revhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 11:44 PM   #1398
Ando420

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie-revhead View Post
Hey, would it be feasible to get a little comp in between comps just to keep interest up? Something within the team maybe, no prize, its more for practice, or do you guys just hwbot bench for that?

I have had another offer for a ocau team comp only but haven been pm'ed back. Regardless I'll sort something and let you guys know. Should be a little in team fun for sure
Old 16th February 2012, 11:55 PM   #1399
jjjc_93

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie-revhead View Post

Its just a thought.

The Hwbot challenge feature has been brought in for this very use. Go ahead and challenge your team.
Old 17th February 2012, 12:39 AM   #1400
Chaffe

IMO a 3Dmark 11 challenge would be good. Something I know you like alot Aussie.

What hardware limits to impose

Who here has some HD5870s I reckon it's time to break some team records when I get back to tassie . It's going to be interesting pushing that beastly triple (may even add to that) rad setup with a 0 degree ambient. Might break 1100 on one of my HD5870s. Got 2 atm that can comfortably push 1050+ on the core .

Last edited by Chaffe; 17th February 2012 at 12:42 AM.
Chaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 12:47 AM   #1401
t8y

i have a couple of 5870s that do over 1050+ (air) and a 5850 that does 1066 (water).

quad cores only would be a start, the last wprime challenge was upset by hexacore hax
maybe no HT enabled too?
unsure on current tessellation rules havnt benched 11 in a while
t8y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 12:55 AM   #1402
Chaffe

Before I do any benching though I'll have to spend a day making a stripped down version of Win 7 for benching, should also do the same for XP I spose.

I remember a while reading how to streamline win Xp installs so I will also have to try that out as well. I know a few of you have tiny XP and Tiny win7 versions. Who knows I might be back here in a week asking for help but will be fun none the less. Would be good to compare my final attempt against some of these other tiny window installs. I really liked the effeciency side of the last challenge.

Last edited by Chaffe; 17th February 2012 at 12:59 AM.
Chaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 1:01 AM   #1403
t8y

well my tiny7 (not custom done, a pre-packaged .iso) is 699mb if thats a guide
edit: the readme in it claims;
Quote:
- ISO File Size.............................. 699 Mb
- RAM Usage On First Installation............ 145 Mb (idle for 5 mins)
- Entire Installation Size................... 2.46 Gb
- WINDOWS Folder Size........................ 2.40 Gb
- Running Processes, total................... 24
- Running Processes, Windows................. 22
- Install Time In VMware..................... 10 to 15 minutes*
but it still has a fair amount of useless services etc running. the main memory culprits are disabled already though.

forget how big the xp one here is (edit: 699mb also but it has several versions within that, 8 choices - each various things added/removed, most are there to potentially save hdd space though iirc. i usually choose the most cut down one and go from there).

either way, i've been meaning to do an install + usual general tweaks, everything right upto the point of loading drivers - then make an image of that..
itd save so much time to just dump that image on a drive and be good to go, but EVERY reinstall, i forget and just get stuck in

Last edited by t8y; 17th February 2012 at 1:08 AM.
Old 17th February 2012, 9:37 AM   #1404
kazen
(Banned or Deleted)

any idea where we can find these tinyW7 isos?
or setup guides even?
kazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 9:43 AM   #1405
t8y

ive probably gone close to saying more than is allowed on the forums already (just by confirming their existence)
while on that subject, i do own legit retail XP and 7 (hell, even vista..), so personally consider these "streamlined" versions as time saving extensions of that, rather than anything more nefarious..

nlite is a popular program to custom streamline your own OS, though, see it suggested quite a lot. have tried it myself without much luck. there may be better apps to assist the process now though (?)

Last edited by t8y; 17th February 2012 at 9:46 AM.
Old 17th February 2012, 10:03 AM   #1406
kazen
(Banned or Deleted)

yeh, i assumed they were "sketchy"
i too have tried nLite without much luck.

my usual method for a benching drive atm is just to install windows to a drive, then turn off all services. usually gets it quite streamlined and gives me a decent boost in benchmarks such as 3dm11
Old 17th February 2012, 10:21 AM   #1407
t8y

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazen View Post
yeh, i assumed they were "sketchy"
i too have tried nLite without much luck.

my usual method for a benching drive atm is just to install windows to a drive, then turn off all services. usually gets it quite streamlined and gives me a decent boost in benchmarks such as 3dm11
well thats more or less it. tweaked normal install is probably just as effective overall, with a larger HDD install size (which is pretty much irrelevant to benching).
theres other differences but the difference is minimal im sure
Old 17th February 2012, 10:22 AM   #1408
kazen
(Banned or Deleted)

yeh. probably little point in worrying about it.

im superkeen on a 3dmark11 comp.
Old 17th February 2012, 10:35 AM   #1409
GeneralDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffe View Post
Before I do any benching though I'll have to spend a day making a stripped down version of Win 7 for benching, should also do the same for XP I spose.

I remember a while reading how to streamline win Xp installs so I will also have to try that out as well. I know a few of you have tiny XP and Tiny win7 versions. Who knows I might be back here in a week asking for help but will be fun none the less. Would be good to compare my final attempt against some of these other tiny window installs. I really liked the effeciency side of the last challenge.
+1 I need a version of this or need to make a stripped down version that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8y View Post
well my tiny7 (not custom done, a pre-packaged .iso) is 699mb if thats a guide
edit: the readme in it claims;

but it still has a fair amount of useless services etc running. the main memory culprits are disabled already though.

forget how big the xp one here is (edit: 699mb also but it has several versions within that, 8 choices - each various things added/removed, most are there to potentially save hdd space though iirc. i usually choose the most cut down one and go from there).

either way, i've been meaning to do an install + usual general tweaks, everything right upto the point of loading drivers - then make an image of that..
itd save so much time to just dump that image on a drive and be good to go, but EVERY reinstall, i forget and just get stuck in
Hell yeah I'm need of this will have to look into this over the weekend that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando420 View Post
Still keeping an eye on things

Haven't had much time for clocking as I have a new job that's paying very well, I needed it to feed my HW addiction lol
Awesome I know about the time factor as well with work and talking about work I just got told yesturday That I'm being made redundant and have 6 weeks till I finish So I'm on the look out for a new Job my self but don't finsh to April the 12th as Centerlink is not my cup of tea and can not buy no HW with that type of cash flow.
GeneralDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 10:51 AM   #1410
t8y

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralDeath View Post
Awesome I know about the time factor as well with work and talking about work I just got told yesturday That I'm being made redundant and have 6 weeks till I finish So I'm on the look out for a new Job my self but don't finsh to April the 12th as Centerlink is not my cup of tea and can not buy no HW with that type of cash flow.
that sucks, same happened to me last year.
had 6 weeks notice too, which is nice and all, but for me it just made the whole process drag out..
centrelink counted my redundancy package as income so i couldnt get on the dole for a couple months even if i had wanted to..

gl with the job market atm, i had mixed luck and only just landed a job this week, small town though with very few opportunities.

it definitely affected my benching efforts anyway (well not at first, i kinda splurged some of the payout on gear lol)

Last edited by t8y; 17th February 2012 at 10:54 AM.