Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Audio Visual

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 12th January 2012, 12:04 PM   #1
DiGiTaL MoNkEY Thread Starter
Inverted Monkey

Default Panasonic unveils Infinite Black Ultra Panel plasmas for 2012

Quote:
The leader in plasmas TVs keeps stepping up its game with 16 new 3D models for 2012 and one lonely 2D set. At the top of the line is the VT50 series -- 4 is unlucky in Japan -- featuring the new Infinite Black Ultra Panel with blacker blacks then the 2011 VT35 and 24,576 steps of gradation, which should provide more detail in dark scenes. It's too early to tell if this will officially dethrone the king of blacks, but we were able to appreciate the improved performance in a side by side demo. The picture quality isn't the only thing new, 2012 brings DLNA, a new more anti-reflective screen and a web browser that uses a smartphone app to avoid entering data with an onscreen keyboard. There are also new 3D glasses for 2012 that are much ligher and work via Bluetooth -- and of course not compatible with last year's. We wish there were more details (like price and availability) in the press release after the break, but we'd guess this Summer for less than you paid for your 2011 HDTV.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/11/p...as-for-2012-e/

DiGiTaL MoNkEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 12th January 2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Doso

Finally a TV that I may justify upgrading my Pioneer 508xda for!

Looks like all the Pioneer engineers that moved to Panasonic after Pioneer pulled the plug on their plasma division might be doing something
Doso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Mau1wurf1977

The last hurrah before OLED production gets into gear?
Mau1wurf1977 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 12:55 PM   #4
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

I'm not worried so much about thinness, but bigger is better
MR CHILLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 3:17 PM   #5
csimpson

I'm very keen to trial one of these against my Pioneer LX509. I'll report more when I find out Australian release dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mau1wurf1977 View Post
The last hurrah before OLED production gets into gear?
Panasonic won't have OLED for a while, AFAIK they don't have any significant research into it.
Old 12th January 2012, 3:26 PM   #6
Luke212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doso View Post
Finally a TV that I may justify upgrading my Pioneer 508xda for!

Looks like all the Pioneer engineers that moved to Panasonic after Pioneer pulled the plug on their plasma division might be doing something
you mean besides a PRO70X5FD
Old 13th January 2012, 7:25 AM   #7
Fishface

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimpson View Post
Panasonic won't have OLED for a while, AFAIK they don't have any significant research into it.
They are hoping to release an OLED TV this year:

http://www.oled-info.com/panasonic-b...oduction-plant

I suspect that it will be a long time before OLED prices come down enough to become competitive with plasma.
Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 9:31 AM   #8
PsychoSmiley

The thing is now that we are on the cusp of OLED, plasma and LCD are dying tech. Panasonic need to start getting into R&D (they would be foolish not to have some R&D going into it at the moment) otherwise they are going to pushing old tech when the like of Samsung are already releasing OLED devices.

EDIT: Just read the above link. Looks like they are into it lets just hope they aren't too late to the game.
Old 13th January 2012, 11:28 AM   #9
Space Hi-Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimpson View Post
I'm very keen to trial one of these against my Pioneer LX509. I'll report more when I find out Australian release dates.
Yes, please do. I wouldn't mind hearing real life comparisons.

These TV's do look promising. Also, from a design perspective I must say I am impressed.
Space Hi-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 2:46 PM   #10
Zee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoSmiley View Post
The thing is now that we are on the cusp of OLED, plasma and LCD are dying tech. Panasonic need to start getting into R&D (they would be foolish not to have some R&D going into it at the moment) otherwise they are going to pushing old tech when the like of Samsung are already releasing OLED devices.

EDIT: Just read the above link. Looks like they are into it lets just hope they aren't too late to the game.
I doubt plasma will vanish too soon - it is still the best bang for buck in terms of size and image.

OLED *should* blitz it in all areas, though prices will be steep off the bat. I'd also be expecting a fe wissues in the first few generations (as with all new tech).

I have no doubt it will kill off both Plasma and the various versions of LCD tech out there once it gains traction and becomes affordable.

I'm hanging for the "roll it up" and "thin as aluminium foil" 130" screens I was promised when first introduced to the tech in the late 90's...

Back on the plasma - I hope they will include their Calman capable calibration system in more of their newer models.

Z...
Old 14th January 2012, 4:14 PM   #11
Mau1wurf1977

The thing about OLED is that it's actually a very very cheap technology in regards to production. No need for a back-light for example.

So as soon as production and sales ramp up, prices will come down very fast.

It also depends on how many companies will produce. It certainly doesn't look like a single manufacturer will be first to market by a significant amount, which is very good for the consumer.

What I expect to see now are ridiculously cheap LED LCD and Plasma TVs in 2012 / 2013 as manufacturers scramble to squeeze the most profit out while the market is declining.

Another thing I noticed is all this "smart TV" stuff. I wish one manufacturer would launch a "Just a TV" or something like that. Huge size, excellent IQ and great price.

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977; 14th January 2012 at 4:17 PM.
Old 14th January 2012, 4:30 PM   #12
mtma

Like anything it will be a case of cheap OLED is cheap to produce. It will undoubtedly have its own idiosyncrasies that will turn into the next black reproduction craze.

Probably to the tune of dither noise and top end saturation.
mtma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 4:41 PM   #13
Brett

Quote:
"Just a TV"
Yeah I don't want a built in PVR, web browser or media player, I've already got stuff to do those jobs better.
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 5:41 PM   #14
Luke212

Quote:
The thing about OLED is that it's actually a very very cheap technology in regards to production. No need for a back-light for example.

So as soon as production and sales ramp up, prices will come down very fast.

It also depends on how many companies will produce. It certainly doesn't look like a single manufacturer will be first to market by a significant amount, which is very good for the consumer.

What I expect to see now are ridiculously cheap LED LCD and Plasma TVs in 2012 / 2013 as manufacturers scramble to squeeze the most profit out while the market is declining.

Another thing I noticed is all this "smart TV" stuff. I wish one manufacturer would launch a "Just a TV" or something like that. Huge size, excellent IQ and great price.
I wouldnt say its cheap tech. You pay per pixel. rather than per display(or per region) for backlight
Old 14th January 2012, 5:42 PM   #15
Mau1wurf1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtma View Post
Like anything it will be a case of cheap OLED is cheap to produce.
Well the way OLED works simply lends itself much better for displays. Compare that to the very first LCD monitors. How shocking were they?

They still haven't been able to match the good old CRT TV in terms of black levels and other IQ parameters. The technology simply isn't ideal for displays, but was the best available at that time...

The approach Sony took (Crystal-technology something) is quite interesting. I doubt that they will continue down this path took.