OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Newbie Lounge

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 13th January 2012, 7:26 PM   #1
Stantor Thread Starter

Default Help Please - OC: i7 870.

Hello,

I'm planning to OC my 870 to 4GHz however I'm a total novice when it comes to overclocking.

My motherboard is a "Asus P7P55D-E LX" with the latest BIOS update. My board has a "CPU Level Up" option in the BIOS which automatically adjusts volts etc but unfortunately it only goes up to a maximum of 3.5GHz.

I understand I must do it manually to get a higher speed but have no idea what voltages to use, is there a website or anything to go by as I can't find anything.

Also what happens to turbo mode speeds when I OC? Does it automatically scale or do I need to disable it?

Cheers guys.
Stantor is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 13th January 2012, 7:55 PM   #2
Madengineer

Would be best to disable turbo.

With volts. Start on stock, increase the FSB, and volts until you boot.
Doesn't matter had toastie .
Madengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 11:25 PM   #3
abe465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stantor View Post
Hello,

I'm planning to OC my 870 to 4GHz however I'm a total novice when it comes to overclocking.

My motherboard is a "Asus P7P55D-E LX" with the latest BIOS update. My board has a "CPU Level Up" option in the BIOS which automatically adjusts volts etc but unfortunately it only goes up to a maximum of 3.5GHz.

I understand I must do it manually to get a higher speed but have no idea what voltages to use, is there a website or anything to go by as I can't find anything.

Also what happens to turbo mode speeds when I OC? Does it automatically scale or do I need to disable it?

Cheers guys.
Here is a good website that tells everything about overclocking ... http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/...ide-lynnfield/ (btw this is a 4 page guide because the first time I read it I never saw the selection of 1-4 pages -.-)

When you're overclocking you must turn off turbo boost or else it will interfere with the OC and confuse the CPU.
| $1400+ in Sales

Last edited by abe465; 13th January 2012 at 11:36 PM.
abe465 is offline   Reply With Quote