Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 3rd August 2009, 7:32 PM   #1
DiGiTaL MoNkEY Thread Starter
Inverted Monkey

Arrow Speaker System Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Though it would be handy to get a thread setup where people can ask for advice in a consolidated thread. It should save some searching and allow users that frequent this section to share their knowledge and experiences.

Otherwise post it in the What/Where to buy section of the forum.

Thanks
DiGiTaL MoNkEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 5th August 2009, 1:06 AM   #2
glenpinn

Default speakers for dell studio 1735

hey peeps, just got me a dell studio 1735 from this forum, but the speakers are so crappy i cant tolerate it (like listening to someone talking into a tin can)

i just sold my spare e8400 gaming pc which has a set of logitech Z-340 speakers (with the big sub) and i can use those while the laptop is used on the pc desk where those speakers are, but i prefer something like 2 small single speakers that are portable, but still has decent quality sound, and maybe runs from the laptop power such as USB.

the laptop is used mainly for basic pc stuff and surfing, playing Xvid movies and mp3 music, and a bit of gaming (daughter loves sims3)

i found a set of Logitech R-10 stereo speakers but not sure what they are like.
http://www.shoppingsquare.com.au/p_8...CH_R10_SPEAKER

logitech X-140 2.0 speakers
http://www.shoppingsquare.com.au/p_1...40_20_speakers

Logitech LS11 Speakers
http://www.shoppingsquare.com.au/p_6...ers__2_Channel

Logitech V10 notebook speakers
http://www.shoppingsquare.com.au/p_6...EBOOK_SPEAKERS

Logitech V20 notebook speakers
http://www.shoppingsquare.com.au/p_6...EBOOK_SPEAKERS

any help appreciated.

edit: just got a link for these tiny speakers
http://www.x-mini.com.au/?gclid=CJOl...FU8wpAodz2f6YA

Last edited by glenpinn; 5th August 2009 at 1:35 AM.
glenpinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 10:57 AM   #3
Davo1111

why not just go to the post office and buy the $39 speakers? from memory they were logitechs and were 2.1 (had a subwolfer). Especially with Xvid movies, you'll appreciate the extra bass. (you won't feel the ground rumble, but any bass is good bass)
Davo1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 11:08 AM   #4
Benno1988

R-10's are horrible. LS11's are worse.

V10's are OK for their size. V20's I'm guessing would be better. Never heard the X140's.
Benno1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 1:04 PM   #5
glenpinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo1111 View Post
why not just go to the post office and buy the $39 speakers? from memory they were logitechs and were 2.1 (had a subwolfer). Especially with Xvid movies, you'll appreciate the extra bass. (you won't feel the ground rumble, but any bass is good bass)
hey thx, not sure if those are the ones with a seperate sub, if so i rather not get anything that has 3 componants for mobile use, as im happy to use the Z-340 2.1 speaker system already on the desk for when the laptop is used on that desk (probably 75% of its time)

the issue here is mobility, cos if we move the lappy around and running on battery for argument sake, or we go away anywhere, i cant take those Z-340's with me because of the big sub box, you cant go moving those speakers around with it all the time, so a good quality set of small twin speakers would be nice for portability, and even better if i could get small speakers that attach to the outside of the lid somehow and are powered by a short usb cable, making them more mobile with the laptop.

im probably asking too much, but i prefer not to have A/C mains powered speakers as a portable option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benno1988 View Post
R-10's are horrible. LS11's are worse.
V10's are OK for their size. V20's I'm guessing would be better. Never heard the X140's.
yeah the R-10 are pretty horrid apparently, so im still searching, but might have to go to JB Hi-Fi and see what they have so i can listen to some.

cheers
Old 5th August 2009, 1:27 PM   #6
budzilla

Logitech Z-5500 speakers are good value for money if you don't mind the somewhat sloppy bass. Pretty much the best 5.1 PC speaker system although if music is important getting some bookshelf speakers with an amp is a better option.

Also if the speakers fail chances are the fuse blew. Just go to DSE and buy a pack of 2 amp slow blow fuses to replace the old one (glass or ceramic is fine).

I own a set of R-10s and they are horrible, then again I paid 18 bux for them
Old 5th August 2009, 1:48 PM   #7
glenpinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by budzilla View Post
Logitech Z-5500 speakers are good value for money
hey, m8 thx for your help, but i already use decent Z-340 2.1 speakers with sub box on the current e8400 gaming pc that i am selling on friday to make room 4 the new dell studio 17 laptop.

as mentioned, im happy to keep those speakers with the dell while the dell is used on that pc desk in the dining room, so what im after is a good quality, small portable set of 2 speakers that are possibly usb powered, so they can be taken with the laptop when its in a mobile state, and these will need to fit into the laptop bag along with a 500gb ext hdd caddy and power brick.

my son has a set of logitech Z-640 5.1 speakers on his desk with his gaming pc, and although they pump it out, there is no way i can lug around a big sub box and 5 speakers, its even impossible to transport the Z-340 2.1 speakers around.

something small, portable, preferably usb powered, but pretty decent quality is what i need, and no seperate sub, just 2 good speakers.

cheers
Old 5th August 2009, 2:02 PM   #8
ICEW0LF

portable, good quality and not requiring external power - have you considered using some nice headphones? something like the Koss: KSC-75 are very portable(folds up and lightweight) and will sound MUCH better then budget speakers you are looking at

then you could just use your existing speakers when you are at home
Project: ICED ARMOR: Xeon X3440@4GHz | EK HF + MCP655 Var + XSPC Restop + MCR320 + MCR120 | P7P55D-E Pro + EK Blocks | 12GB DDR3 2GHz | EVGA GTX480 + Aquacomputer AquagraFX | X-Fi XtremeMusic | Onkyo TX-SV50PRO + A5 Passives | 3x Lian Li EX33B + Phoenix Pro 60GB + 7TB of HDD | DVR219 | HX620 | TT Armor + NF-P14FLX + 4x 12cm + NF-B9 | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate + Vespula | R.A.T 9 | PX2370 + E173FP + 740N|
The PC Professional - Canberra's Leading PC Store
ICEW0LF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 2:33 PM   #9
glenpinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEW0LF View Post
portable, good quality and not requiring external power - have you considered using some nice headphones? something like the Koss: KSC-75 are very portable(folds up and lightweight) and will sound MUCH better then budget speakers you are looking at

then you could just use your existing speakers when you are at home
did think of speakers, yep, and we have 3 sets here and pretty good quality (gaming ones)

great idea, but if more than 1 is watching the movies, makes it impossible for others to hear it with decent quality.

as a solo user yes, good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiTaL MoNkEY View Post
Though it would be handy to get a thread setup where people can ask for advice in a consolidated thread. It should save some searching and allow users that frequent this section to share their knowledge and experiences.

Otherwise post it in the What/Where to buy section of the forum.

Thanks
hi m8, yeah nice idea, i just worry sometimes that consolidated threads can get somewhat confusing because i might be asking questions about 1 thing and other topics are posted that also require input from other posters and they can end up getting all messed up.

i dont know if this will happen here, but they did this over at whingepool and it turned out to be a total disaster with many topics, especially the internet security and pc hardware sections, many disgruntled posters had a lot to say about it.

i know this isnt whingepool, i just hope the idea works here.

cheers

Last edited by glenpinn; 5th August 2009 at 2:37 PM.
Old 6th August 2009, 4:27 PM   #10
pezzy

looking for a pair of passive bookshelf speakers to be powered by a cambridge 540a. budget is $600 but not limited to. open to international sources as well. i'm after a balanced sound, maybe a little emphasis on midrange. not too picky on design, but would like something that looks classy and professional. atm i'm leaning towards the KEF iQ30.
pezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 4:41 PM   #11
Stygian Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezzy View Post
looking for a pair of passive bookshelf speakers to be powered by a cambridge 540a. budget is $600 but not limited to. open to international sources as well. i'm after a balanced sound, maybe a little emphasis on midrange. not too picky on design, but would like something that looks classy and professional. atm i'm leaning towards the KEF iQ30.
Some B&W 686's would do the job wonderfully. $700 RRP, so you should be able to get them within your budget. I've got a pair of 685's in my CA 540A, and absolutely love them to bits!

I guess the fun part will be finding a local B&W dealer.

edit:

Classy enough for you?
You do not have a god given right to do whatever you want with hardware when you buy it. ... Homebrew is piracy, you haven't paid sony to license the product for PS3 use, therefore it doesn't belong on their system.

Last edited by Stygian Shane; 6th August 2009 at 4:43 PM.
Stygian Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 5:03 PM   #12
samo

Firefox 822's

for the money they cant be beat.

http://adelaidespeakers.com/bookshel...s-firefox.html

although auditioning may be a problem.. so try these.

Monitor Audio Bronze BR2's

Elac BS63

Last edited by samo; 6th August 2009 at 5:08 PM.
samo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 5:08 PM   #13
Aratama_Bashi

any owners care to offer an opinion on edifier s330d 2.1? TIA
Aratama_Bashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 7:32 PM   #14
supernerd

Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Cambridge Audio 640A. You won't be able to beat that unless you DIY or you are willing to spend tens of thousands.
supernerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 12:59 AM   #15
pezzy

thanks for the suggestions, will look into each of them. i must have missed the b&w as i had a look at their range before. the firefox is too large, the elac size is what i'm after.

so far the b&w, elac and the paradigm looks to be what i'm after.

Last edited by pezzy; 7th August 2009 at 1:05 AM.
pezzy is offline   Reply With Quote