Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 13th July 2014, 7:28 PM   #1
Krimzen Thread Starter

Question Audio-Technica ATH-ADG1/AG1 Opinions?

I plan on buying this headset, since I recently bought a $160 SteelSeries Siberia V2 (USB Heat Orange) headste, and I absolutely hated it, the ear pads irritated the outside of my ears and made the top of my head itchy, it sounded worse than my old $70 headset and the mic was even worse, so I'm trying to return it to PCCaseGear (I was advised to do it under warranty because they do not support regular returns... ugh).

So now I'm here, trying my best not to make the mistake of buying another crappy headset as far as my tastes go. I'm looking at this pair because it seems to have a nice microphone from the tests I've listened to, a nice brand, and 53mm drivers (I know quality isn't entirely dependant on drivers, but they're still nice ), and I'm here to ask what is your opinion on the headset, as far as quality, comfortability, and practicality. In specific the ADG1 (Open-Air) model, but AG1 (Closed) are welcome too, since they are almost identical. But suggestions for other headsets are good too! (Please note I can't use 3.5mm jacks unless it comes with a 3.5mm -> USB adaptor due to terrible onboard audio and interference)

Also I plan to use the headset mainly for gaming, but for music as well, and I plan to do YouTube videos so the mic needs to be clear and crisp.

Thanks!
[Logitech 'G' Owners Club Member #420]
CPU: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.5GHz - NZXT X31 Kraken (Water)
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1070
RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz
Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M3
Krimzen is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 13th July 2014, 8:49 PM   #2
japes

I've got the ADG1's - not an audiophile, but here's my opinion. Please note that I've had AD700's and AD700X's for.. well a large number of years now.

They're essentially an AD700X with a microphone attached; this is a good thing - well regarded as one of the best value for money headphones on the market for a long time now. They feel slightly lighter in construction but fit and sound basically identical. I personally think they're slightly overpriced compared to the AD700's, but with that said the microphone is excellent quality - I don't use the USB DAC which would also add price unnecessarily if you're running a decent sound card/DAC already.

Pros:

- Excellent sound quality that you've come to expect from Audio-Technica
- Well priced for the kit you get
- One of the best headsets available with a built in microphone out of the box, especially when compared to other more popular "gaming" headsets.
- Microphone quality is brilliant, as is the quality of the gooseneck it's attached to.
- Comfortable, especially for those with a big head.

Cons:

- The cord situation. What they've done is given you a 1m length cord from the headphones that terminates in a 3-ring 3.5mm plug for console gamers to use in their controllers, and then a separate 2m(?) length that splits into individual 3.5mm plugs for input and output for PC gamers or regular applications that require more length. This would only be a minor annoyance, but the secondary split cable is very thin and spins/tangles easily.
- Headphones can only sit one way due to the extrusion from the microphone mount, so if you don't have a stand that will only sit on their back. Minor issue.
- If you're not going to use the USB DAC, the $100 price increase of the AD700X's for something that feels a little less well-built might be a little steep for the microphone - with that said, good luck finding better options. After having them for a number of months they're definitely worth the money.

Highly recommend, but I think I'm at the point where I'm a casual Audio-Technica fanboy..

Last edited by japes; 13th July 2014 at 8:52 PM.
japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 9:20 PM   #3
Krimzen Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
I've got the ADG1's - not an audiophile, but here's my opinion. Please note that I've had AD700's and AD700X's for.. well a large number of years now.

They're essentially an AD700X with a microphone attached; this is a good thing - well regarded as one of the best value for money headphones on the market for a long time now. They feel slightly lighter in construction but fit and sound basically identical. I personally think they're slightly overpriced compared to the AD700's, but with that said the microphone is excellent quality - I don't use the USB DAC which would also add price unnecessarily if you're running a decent sound card/DAC already.

Pros:

- Excellent sound quality that you've come to expect from Audio-Technica
- Well priced for the kit you get
- One of the best headsets available with a built in microphone out of the box, especially when compared to other more popular "gaming" headsets.
- Microphone quality is brilliant, as is the quality of the gooseneck it's attached to.
- Comfortable, especially for those with a big head.

Cons:

- The cord situation. What they've done is given you a 1m length cord from the headphones that terminates in a 3-ring 3.5mm plug for console gamers to use in their controllers, and then a separate 2m(?) length that splits into individual 3.5mm plugs for input and output for PC gamers or regular applications that require more length. This would only be a minor annoyance, but the secondary split cable is very thin and spins/tangles easily.
- Headphones can only sit one way due to the extrusion from the microphone mount, so if you don't have a stand that will only sit on their back. Minor issue.
- If you're not going to use the USB DAC, the $100 price increase of the AD700X's for something that feels a little less well-built might be a little steep for the microphone - with that said, good luck finding better options. After having them for a number of months they're definitely worth the money.

Highly recommend, but I think I'm at the point where I'm a casual Audio-Technica fanboy..
Thanks for the great indepth response!

I think the USB DAC is great, especially since my onboard audio is utter trash... and I don't want to go and buy a internal sound card just yet..
[Logitech 'G' Owners Club Member #420]
CPU: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.5GHz - NZXT X31 Kraken (Water)
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1070
RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz
Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M3
Krimzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 9:25 PM   #4
japes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimzen View Post
I think the USB DAC is great, especially since my onboard audio is utter trash... and I don't want to go and buy a internal sound card just yet..
Yep, it's well suited for a nice upgrade for people running onboard. You may need an extension cable unless you're sitting right next to your PC though, since you only get 1M of cable length out of the box to the USB DAC (I've never used it, that may not be correct, but from memory it's just the 1m length out of the phones).

Last edited by japes; 13th July 2014 at 9:48 PM.
japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2014, 12:04 AM   #5
Mau1wurf1977
(Banned or Deleted)

For gaming I would recommend the AD700 + Sound Blaster Z. This will give you surround over headphones and a real edge if you play online

That's if you mostly play on the PC

I also recommend you read up on the "wing" thingies on the top. It's a love or hate thing.
Mau1wurf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2014, 8:29 AM   #6
R3IGN
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mau1wurf1977 View Post
For gaming I would recommend the AD700 + Sound Blaster Z. This will give you surround over headphones and a real edge if you play online

That's if you mostly play on the PC

I also recommend you read up on the "wing" thingies on the top. It's a love or hate thing.

I also recommend this option as the sound blast comes with mic you can sit on top of your monitor its what i have done
R3IGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 6:59 PM   #7
synic

Off Topic.

But...

Anyone know where I can get a set of replacement earpads for the ATH-AG1's?

Mine have finally crapped out but I don't want to throw them out.

Suggestions?
Last edited by SLATYE; 5th April 2010 at 9:01 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling of "bargain"
synic is offline   Reply With Quote