Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 3rd August 2009, 7:29 PM   #1
DiGiTaL MoNkEY Thread Starter
Inverted Monkey

Arrow Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Though it would be handy to get a thread setup where people can ask for advice in a consolidated thread. It should save some searching and allow users that frequent this section to share their knowledge and experiences.

Otherwise post it in the What/Where to buy section of the forum.

Thanks all

Last edited by DiGiTaL MoNkEY; 3rd August 2009 at 9:17 PM.
DiGiTaL MoNkEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 3rd August 2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Whisper

Exclamation

The best headset to get that is under $200 and makes all the others look ordinary, is the Beyerdynamic DT234 Pro's

All the other gaming headsets sound crap compared to them for "most" people, so long as the sound source is good, moreover, considering what most people are prepared to spend, are being massively over charged for said crap gaming headsets. That is to say, at half-the price, they would probably still be a rip off!

To put it another way, 99.99% of people who get to listen to a pair of Beyerdynamic DT234 Pro's after using their <insert expensively overpriced crap gaming head brand name model here> kick themselves for wasting their money.

That being said, you can get better headphones for the same price as the Beyerdynamic DT234 Pro's, and then add a clip on microphone.

That is all.
There's something about philosophy that is at once humanising & utterly human. It's the court of last recourse. When the oracles have failed us, when the saints have grown silent & when god has chosen not to reveal himself. Then we stand back in the dark dark shadows of confusion & fear & ask, "What sort of being am I?" "What kind of life is right for me?" "& how should I govern, or be governed?"
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 5:32 PM   #3
jcady81

Does any one have the Sennheiser CX 380 canalphones? How do you like them? How do they rate besides the Shure SE110s? Any other canalphones I should be looking at besides those two and the Vsonic R02-Pro?

The important thing is they can last at least a year under reasonable conditions (ie don't need to be handled with kid gloves), and have good clear crisp sounds (bass isn't overly important cause the music I listen to doesn't centralise itself around the bass)

Looking around the $100 mark
jcady81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 5:51 PM   #4
Snufkin
OCAU Sponsor

In terms of sound quality, the CX380 is the same as the CX300. Good, but not amazing.
The biggest benefit of the CX380 is that they're designed to be compatible with sweaty people, so if you're sweaty, or are going to be sweating when using them, I'd recommend them.

The Shure SE110 has the advantage of offering the most isolation from outside noise for the price. Sound quality is probably a little above the CX300/CX380, but not greatly - namely they have a more well balanced sound with less boomy bass that results in clearer detail overall.

The Vsonic is the best sounding of the lot by a large margin, they really sound great for the price. I used to be hesitant to recommend the older R02Pro because of durability issues, despite sounding great, but the new R02Pro2 so far has been rock solid in terms of durability (but I don't know how they cope with excess sweat). Isolation levels aren't as high as the Shure, they're more around the Sennheiser levels.
Snufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 5:58 PM   #5
itachi46

might be in the market for closed full-size can for about <150 bux. really after comfort and isolation. its going to be used on the road so sound quality doesnt need to be astounding...

currently using the ath-es7 loving it it just hurts after wearing for a few hours. hence why i want a full size.. isolation on these are fantastic
itachi46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 6:09 PM   #6
Snufkin
OCAU Sponsor

Most of your fullsize circumaural closed models are going to be pretty cumbersome.
I'd say either the Sennheiser HD215 which are decent, or one of the new closed Sennheiser models that are due in soon - I don't know if they're any good yet, and I'm not holding my breath.
Old 5th August 2009, 6:20 PM   #7
itachi46

cumbersome how? if you mean their not portable and stuff then thats not really an issue i have to bring with me a set of tower speakers with me i think a circumaural headphone is a piece of cake for me

Last edited by itachi46; 5th August 2009 at 6:22 PM.
Old 5th August 2009, 6:23 PM   #8
Snufkin
OCAU Sponsor

Large, big, unwieldy, not small
Old 5th August 2009, 6:25 PM   #9
itachi46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
Large, big, unwieldy, not small
yeh thats not an issue :P the 2 12" speaker + horn is alot more "large,big,unwiedly, not small" than the hd215

thanks i'll look around for places where i can audition them
Old 5th August 2009, 8:00 PM   #10
Drubbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcady81 View Post
Does any one have the Sennheiser CX 380 canalphones? How do you like them? How do they rate besides the Shure SE110s? Any other canalphones I should be looking at besides those two and the Vsonic R02-Pro?

The important thing is they can last at least a year under reasonable conditions (ie don't need to be handled with kid gloves), and have good clear crisp sounds (bass isn't overly important cause the music I listen to doesn't centralise itself around the bass)

Looking around the $100 mark
The Vsonics cack all over the Cx300 and fart in their general direction. More robust as well.
Drubbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 9:47 PM   #11
Foos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
Most of your fullsize circumaural closed models are going to be pretty cumbersome.
I'd say either the Sennheiser HD215 which are decent, or one of the new closed Sennheiser models that are due in soon - I don't know if they're any good yet, and I'm not holding my breath.
I bought some of th HD215's from snuff last week.

Got them on now. They are brighter than I expected, clarity is pretty good, not great but ok. Had to get closed ones to avoid gf agro.

They are fairly comfy - no hard clamping, - no drama's

I still haven't hooked them up to a good source yet, just laptops x 2 - and they seem easy to drive.

Also they don't make my ears as over-toasty as my old phillips ones I had a few years ago with velour earpads
Old 7th August 2009, 2:37 AM   #12
itachi46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foos View Post
I bought some of th HD215's from snuff last week.

Got them on now. They are brighter than I expected, clarity is pretty good, not great but ok. Had to get closed ones to avoid gf agro.

They are fairly comfy - no hard clamping, - no drama's

I still haven't hooked them up to a good source yet, just laptops x 2 - and they seem easy to drive.

Also they don't make my ears as over-toasty as my old phillips ones I had a few years ago with velour earpads
do they look like htey can take a beating? because i'm going to use this at gigs and stuff and its inevitably going to get more wear than the average headphones.
Old 7th August 2009, 11:50 AM   #13
rotamonkey

damn wish i saw this yesterday just shelled out for the razer HP 1 hope they r ok
rotamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 11:59 AM   #14
RoSWeLL

For Metal listeners, how do the AD700's fair? I've been thinking about them for a while now.
OCAU MetaL Club Member #009

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live I will kill you, if I die you are forgiven". Such is the Rule of Honor.
RoSWeLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 12:04 PM   #15
Snufkin
OCAU Sponsor

Clear, fast and detailed, but not authoritative or particularly impactful.
I normally recommend the MS1 over the AD700 for rock/metal.