Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 7th July 2010, 6:24 PM   #1
ShadoX Thread Starter

Default Z5500...Did i just get a free fix?

G'day folks

This ones odd too me. My z5500's have suffered the same fate as many others before me have. The LED's have slowly been dying, then eventually, just died about a week ago.

So last sunday i decided to have a crack at fixing the LED's my self as per this guide (Since my Z5500's are way way WAY out of warranty)

Anywho, i couldn't really get em to work right and ended up still with no LED's so i figured, screw it i'll see if i can get a new one.

I shot off an email to some logitech address (i think it was off a the US logitech site but i couldn't find any AUS specific site) stating my LED's had died and specifically saying i wished to purchase a new one (and that i couldn't source a POD from anywhere in Aus, and whether or not they could sell me one or point me in the right direction)

Anyway, next day, got an email back stating they'd be glad to help me, they asked me for my shipping address and said they'd forward my email to their australian department. I replied stating my thanks, with my shipping details and also a request for a costing of the new price.

Today i check my email and surprise surprise, i had one from logitech again, and basically it was a short email stating they were "pleased to inform me" that a new control POD had been dispatched Today - july 7th 2010, and to please allow 1-2 weeks for delivery. No mention of parts cost, or delivery costs, no mention of me having to send my old pod to them. Their just....sending me a new one?

So im pretty dumb struck atm, absolutely awesome that im getting a new one, but wow do they do this often? Does this seem odd to anyone else? Like really for them to send me a POD for free, even though my hardware is years out of warranty, im pretty damn well amazed!

Whats everyone elses thoughts? has this happened to anyone else? perhaps they did this because mines apart of the "old" revision of pods? (apparently they changed the design to avoid the LED issues in later revisions of the z5500's, as i've read?)

so im effectively going to end up with 2 pods now :O

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 7th July 2010, 6:44 PM   #2
SingAlong
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoX View Post
so im effectively going to end up with 2 pods now :O
Good stuff. Logitech just got a +1 in my books!
SingAlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 7:31 PM   #3
karnage112

great to hear. my pod has been flickering in the past but seems to have disappeared. i thought i would be screwed if my pod died but its good to hear that i can try get a replacement from logitech if it dies in the future.
karnage112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 7:35 PM   #4
encoderboy

What a great result! Kudos to Logitech, that's outstanding customer care.

Reminds me of Palm way back in the day. I had an early Palm Pilot that died.. called them up. They couriered me out a new one (newer, better model too) the next day. Along with a prepaid padded package to return my broken one in.

They did exactly the same thing for me a few years later when a Palm 3 died on me.

Old skool, excellent customer service like this is the sort of thing that earns a lifetime of sales from me.
encoderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 8:44 PM   #5
eskimogenius

Thats when you give them a big thank you, leave a good feedback. And stfu so you can get more free stuff in the future.
eskimogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 8:50 PM   #6
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Wow, I will give this a go as mine has been flickering for some time now.....doesn't really phase me but I don't like it. I'm fully prepared to pay for it if required, but if it's at no charge that would be great.

Mine would probably be out of warranty also.
MR CHILLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 9:32 PM   #7
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

I've sent off my email tonight so will see how I go.

Maybe they are just trying to get rid of old stock anyways.....not going to do much for them holding onto the pods.
Old 8th July 2010, 12:10 AM   #8
dingdong555

Same thing happened to me, they replaced it and sent a new one out within the next day. Recieved the new one and it's how it should be

Their service has been great, I think they're honouring it as they KNOW it's a common problem.
Old 8th July 2010, 12:11 AM   #9
$3@N
(Banned or Deleted)

Mine stopped working completely a year ago.

Its a pain in the arse but its not worth ruining the remaining warranty or going without speakers for weeks.

Great guide though, thanks
$3@N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 5:52 AM   #10
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by $3@N View Post
Its a pain in the arse but its not worth ruining the remaining warranty or going without speakers for weeks.
You had to send your old one back?
Old 8th July 2010, 10:38 AM   #11
ShadoX Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarez View Post
It was more likely an accident, Logitech aren't known for the service, reliability or warranty claims.

Let us know how this pans out.

Will do, I'm hoping it wasn't an accident :P honestly I expected them to say the pods weren't available for purchase or to charge a fee that's verging on just buying a new set of z5500s. I never expected this, I'm still half expecting it to turn up with a bill or not at all

let's hope i'm wrong and this truely is just a company doing a good deed
everyone else who emails em let us know the outcome I'd be interested to know if this was a one off, or if their fixing a known problem or this is just a new stance ?
Old 8th July 2010, 11:48 AM   #12
$3@N
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
You had to send your old one back?
No not yet.
$3@N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 6:21 PM   #13
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by $3@N View Post
No not yet.
But they have requested you return it?
Old 8th July 2010, 7:41 PM   #14
ShadoX Thread Starter

um, can we not turn this thread into a "the z5500's and all other logitech audio is crap sez the audiophile" thread please? Thanks

anyway, i have FREAKIN AWESOME NEWS

So i got my email last night right, saying they were posted out on 7th of july 2010 and to allow 1 to 2 weeks postage right?

I arrived home from work today to be told a "random big package turned up for you today"....It was my new POD ! I was totally not expecting the pod for atleast another week, so i was scratching my head as to what it was, all the while thinking...come on, it can't be....

but sure enough it was, and i took photo's POD's hooked up and running perfectly as we speak, and nice and bright too ! There was nothing else with the pod, no letters/documents/bills, just a brown box with a pod bubble wrapped in it.

The one thing i was worried about was whether or not the existing remote would work with this pod (i assumed it would, but worried it wouldn't)...i was right, it works fine

Logitech just shot up 100 points in my books

I'll post up the unboxing after dinner (and after i resize them from their stupidly giant resolutions)
Old 8th July 2010, 7:47 PM   #15
Dorz

nice work! i should have done this before i tried (and failed) to fix the burnt IC on my set!
Excellent trades: DrNick, 0zTek, Gierke, Brutus the III, Chrysilis, Artoxian, Lichey, von.Gunst, Caffeine, dalien, ichigo, gbh, fsn, hobo-jo, Ledstar,drsplodge, Gristy, Ryooma, Hennels, foaley77, stevodude, snivlac, Howie_Ly, procrastinate, lionman, HSV_Enigma, Spada, mjd26, -Tman-, SGG, Schnooper, -Cypher-, snm, mshagg, Andres, MickybD, Prawnstar, Chunksoul, mittons, Oosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by _the_duke_ View Post
Listen to some Justin Bieber. If it sounds crap, you're speakers have accurate sound.
Dorz is offline   Reply With Quote