Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 5th June 2014, 10:23 AM   #1
roosterman Thread Starter

Default New gaming headphones with mic help

Hi guys, i have been using a razer chimera wireless gaming headset for a while an reasonably happy with sound but bulky and battery issues leave me needing corded options.
Will be used for pc gaming and youtube etc so not really looking for full blown audiophile cans although if funds were available would love em.
Looked at the logitech g430 for $60. What opinions do guys have that use these and what other similar priced options do you recomend ?
Cheers....
roosterman is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 5th June 2014, 11:14 AM   #2
TheBear21

Interested in this too. Purely for convenient gaming and don't want anything expensive. I have good headphones for music already but need a microphone and wonder if a USB set is more convenient.

I am not a believer in surround headphones, but then again I have not tried them. So I am willing to be convinced they are good for gaming.
Old 5th June 2014, 11:32 AM   #3
roosterman Thread Starter

Bear, i see in other threads guys using clip on mics ? Not sure if they are compatible etc but options esp if you have good comfy cans already .

I am running onboard audio out of my asus sabretooth z77 mobo and it has Realtek ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC so sound to me is pretty good and dont see need for souncards .
roosterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 12:06 PM   #4
TheBear21

Yeah.. I am looking to pick up a good soundcard after tax time, most likely the Soundblaster ZxR as I have high(er) end studio monitors that sound like ass through on-board. I will use this card for other things like some production work as well so it's not necessarily an over the top, high end gaming card for me.

This has a built in mic. Plus I also have/had a Zalman clip on round here somewhere? But it's been a long time and 2 house moves since I have seen it. Might have a quick look this arvy actually...
Old 5th June 2014, 12:11 PM   #5
tunagirll

I am a big fan of the Razer Carcharias (old model) however the new model that has a USB plug is terrible as the USB produces buzzing in the earphones whenever the computer does anything. A workaround is to plug the USB into the monitor but it's still shit. So keep that in mind when shopping.
Old 8th June 2014, 7:58 AM   #6
Gnatty

Yeah, just use whichever headphones you are comfortable with/prefer, and get the Zalman clip on mic

Edit: this one http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...oducts_id=2885
Desktop: HAF-X | i7-4770K | Swiftech H320 | 2xGigabyte GTX 670 OC | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Crucial M4 128GB | Filco Ninja | IBM Model M | U2311 + U2713 :Photo: Nikon D7000 | Nikon 17-55/2.8 | Nikon 80-200/2.8D | Nikon 35/1.8 | Nikon 50/1.4 | Sigma 85/1.4 | Nikon SB-600 | Think Tank UD-60 | Crumpler Karachi Outpost
Gnatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 9:59 PM   #7
leechy

Another option, if your happy with your existing headphones.
http://www.modmic.com/
leechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 12:18 PM   #8
Dimtar

Quote:
Originally Posted by leechy View Post
Do they perform well?
Dimtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 3:33 PM   #9
Lichking

On sale http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=24348
going to pick these up myself
Old 14th June 2014, 6:31 PM   #10
TheBear21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichking View Post
On sale http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=24348
going to pick these up myself
I like the look of them. Have placed an order.... Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by TheBear21; 14th June 2014 at 6:37 PM.
TheBear21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 5:49 PM   #11
theSeekerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by leechy View Post
I've got a ModMic 2.0 and it's pretty great. Looks like they've made some design changes since then for robustness, and changed the mic capsule, but I do recommend them.
Old 25th June 2014, 3:11 PM   #12
TheBear21

My Paypal transaction didn't complete for those other set of headphones. I did some more research and ended up with a set of SteelSeries Siberia V2. And after my first bit of a test with them today I have got to say they are pretty bloody good.

Haven't had a chance to get on BF4 yet with them, but I am happy with my purchase so far. Very comfortable and the sound is pretty impressive.

I wanted one that didn't use a USB so when I get my decent sound card I can make the most of the headphone amp in it.
Old 4th July 2014, 1:56 PM   #13
beilbyg

I did a lot of research into this like 4 years ago and bought a Steelseries 7H USB

I was pretty confident at the time it was the best choice on the market for a simulated 7.1 headset, but I haven't kept up with the field so can't say for sure nowadays.

I still highly recommend it though, use mine every day, sound quality is great, very comfortable, and the simulated surround works OK, but not perfect. Also breaks down into 4 pieces so very easy to travel with.
beilbyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 8:11 PM   #14
onggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBear21 View Post
My Paypal transaction didn't complete for those other set of headphones. I did some more research and ended up with a set of SteelSeries Siberia V2. And after my first bit of a test with them today I have got to say they are pretty bloody good.

Haven't had a chance to get on BF4 yet with them, but I am happy with my purchase so far. Very comfortable and the sound is pretty impressive.

I wanted one that didn't use a USB so when I get my decent sound card I can make the most of the headphone amp in it.
I have a question about these headphones. A combination of little padding and stupid weird ears, all the headphones I have worn hurt my ears after 1hr or more of use. Basically the cloth that covers the actual speakers push down on my ears. Earlier this week I tried a pair of Turtle Beach headphones (green ones) at EB and they sat on my head perfectly. My ears don't even touch the padding in front of the speakers. But they sound like ass.
onggie is offline   Reply With Quote