Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 12th September 2016, 4:14 PM   #1
irR4tiOn4L Thread Starter

Default System upgrade - hold onto Xfi Extreme Music?

Hey everyone,

I'm faced with a bit of a dilemna right now - I'm currently running a Core 2 Duo E8500 system with a Gtx 770, but have finally run into a game which this system can't handle - Star Citizen (bloody 4gb of DDR2! Plus 4.3 ghz is no longer stable). Long story short, I'm going to finally pull the trigger on a 6600K skylake upgrade (overclocked to 4.5+, naturally!).

Problem is - I'm running a PCI X-fi Extreme Music internal soundcard for sound, and I'd like to have high quality sound (run Senn HD590 headphones, plus 2 x external hi-fi stereo amps and 2 x 3 pass and 2 x 2 pass speakers).

Does anyone know how the extreme music compares to modern onboard, whether it's worth it trying to get a Z170 board with legacy PCI slot and what other options I might have if onboard is shit and PCI is tough to get?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Irish Proverb When you are right, no one remembers. When you are wrong, no one forgets.

Originally posted by Ben Franklin Once people realise they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic

Last edited by irR4tiOn4L; 12th September 2016 at 4:17 PM.
irR4tiOn4L is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 12th September 2016, 6:00 PM   #2
terrabyte

There's a few Z170 boards around with PCI slots I believe, depends if you're after those crazy high end boards (they rarely have pci) or otherwise there's a few mid range boards with standard PCI.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads...y-pci.2448655/

If you're running good sounding hardware (as it seems you are) I'm still under the impression stand alone cards are better than onboard. I've seen a couple of reviews with manufacturers touting their ultra amazing onboard audio, but they're still not isolated well and have all kinds of issues with signal interference among other things.

I use a pos set of headphones and crappy source audio so it would make zero difference to me

Hundreds of trades over 10+ years.
terrabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 2:16 PM   #3
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

As above I'd be tending to stick with your third party add-on card. You can always try both and see which you like better in terms of quality, settings etc. XtremeMusic is also a few generations old so now so you might want to consider an upgrade of your card sometime as well.
Old 13th September 2016, 2:17 PM   #4
power

I still have the card you have OP, still happy with it

mine's in something older though a 3770K system.
Old 16th September 2016, 11:47 AM   #5
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
I still have the card you have OP, still happy with it
It's a competent card, I used to have one, cards should progress in quality over time though.