Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 11th September 2010, 3:02 PM   #1
DeejW Thread Starter

Default Bottlehead Crack OTL Group Buy BUILD LOG

So another member and myself have been researching this headphone amp kit and it ticks all the right boxes. It can also drive high impedance cans well and its quite cheap, even cheaper when its bought in bulk. So I thought I would see if theres any interest in a group buy. As soon as I can get some numbers il email Bottlehead and see how cheap we can get them. Then il seek Agg approval. Genuine interest please who are actually going to go through with the sale and not back out.

Product link: http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?...on=show_detail
The discounted price of the kit shipped to your door is $230 ($220 AUD at current exchange rate). A big saving! We need 12 members to make it happen

Interested members:

DeejW confirmed + Badge PAID
Stygian Shane confirmed PAID
Hens confirmed + speedball PAID
Tythais confirmed + Speedball PAID
jlavao confirmed + Speedball + Badge PAID
cdtoaster confirmed PAID
MomijoTMO confirmed + speedball + Badge PAID
jjinh confirmed + speedball + Badge PAID
Grizzli confirmed + speedball PAID
Morphine confirmed + speedball PAID
Blobster confirmed + Badge PAID
Labman confirmed + speedball PAID
Pieface confirmed PAID
Unforgiven confirmed PAID

Last edited by DeejW; 3rd December 2010 at 3:10 PM.
DeejW is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 11th September 2010, 4:44 PM   #2
m_ani3
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeejW View Post
So another member and myself have been researching this headphone amp kit and it ticks all the right boxes. It can also drive high impedance cans well and its quite cheap, even cheaper when its bought in bulk. So I thought I would see if theres any interest in a group buy. As soon as I can get some numbers il email Bottlehead and see how cheap we can get them. Then il seek Agg approval. Genuine interest please who are actually going to go through with the sale and not back out.

Product link: http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?...on=show_detail
thanks all
hey deejW i would love to get one but my soldering skills are below zero...lol...i was going to go for the cantante(for christmas) ... but if this is gonna perform just as well as the cantante i might as well save myself the extra cash ...

what sorta timeframe are we looking at here?about a month? or less ..i can make your list if its a month )

it will be powering my dt 990 ( 250 ohm)

Last edited by m_ani3; 26th October 2010 at 11:23 PM.
m_ani3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 6:12 PM   #3
DeejW Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_ani3 View Post
hey deejW i would love to get one but my soldering skills are below zero...lol...i was going to go for the cantante(for christmas) ... but if this is gonna perform just as well as the cantante i might as well save myself the extra cash ...

what sorta timeframe are we looking at here?about a month? or less ..i can make your list if its a month )

it will be powering my dt990 ( 250 ohm)
Hey, Im not sure about the time frame. I guess it would depend if he had enough in stock. then would have to allow shipping time then time for me to send it out to you. but I think a month would be about right. as for comparing it against a cantante Im not sure their is a direct comparison. Il also be powering a 250 ohm set of DT880s and was considering the cantante myself but was put off by the price tag. Plus id love the experience of assembling it myself. plus I have a custom enclosure idea for it. Of all the comments Ive read about the unit Im yet to find a negative one, if the sound doesnt suit you can swap out the tubes too so for the price I think it will be well worth it. I might email the bottlehead and ask him If I was to order 5-10 the time frame for post and the discounted price.
Old 11th September 2010, 6:39 PM   #4
m_ani3
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Hey, Im not sure about the time frame. I guess it would depend if he had enough in stock. then would have to allow shipping time then time for me to send it out to you. but I think a month would be about right. as for comparing it against a cantante Im not sure their is a direct comparison. Il also be powering a 250 ohm set of DT880s and was considering the cantante myself but was put off by the price tag. Plus id love the experience of assembling it myself. plus I have a custom enclosure idea for it. Of all the comments Ive read about the unit Im yet to find a negative one, if the sound doesnt suit you can swap out the tubes too so for the price I think it will be well worth it. I might email the bottlehead and ask him If I was to order 5-10 the time frame for post and the discounted price.

that would be awesome deejW .. i get 50 a week spending money so it will take me a month to come up with the 200ish
Old 11th September 2010, 6:42 PM   #5
Stygian Shane

Consider me very interested
You do not have a god given right to do whatever you want with hardware when you buy it. ... Homebrew is piracy, you haven't paid sony to license the product for PS3 use, therefore it doesn't belong on their system.
Stygian Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 6:47 PM   #6
DeejW Thread Starter

Quote:
that would be awesome deejW .. i get 50 a week spending money so it will take me a month to come up with the 200ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stygian Shane View Post
Consider me very interested
thanks for the interest, il report back with prices and an estimate of delivery time.
Old 11th September 2010, 6:52 PM   #7
m_ani3
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
thanks for the interest, il report back with prices and an estimate of delivery time.
cant wait mate ...
Old 12th September 2010, 2:17 PM   #8
Blah72

I just got some DT990's...so im very interested in this.

Interested to know what the final price is inc shipping etc before i commit.

Also i read what was on the web page, but it didn't seem to cover what was involved in building the amp...Does anyone know what stuff is required? is it something a complete noob could put together? cause i have no experience in building stuff...
Blah72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 2:21 PM   #9
DeejW Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah72 View Post
I just got some DT990's...so im very interested in this.

Interested to know what the final price is inc shipping etc.

Also i read what was on the web page, but it didn't seem to cover what was involved in building the amp...Does anyone one know what stuff is required? is it something a complete noob could put together? cause i have no experience in building stuff...
There is a cdrom with detailed assembly instructions. They say its an entry level difficulty so if you have a soldering iron and can solder and some sidecutters and pliers Im sure thats all you need. The good thing about a group buy is if you get stuck you can ask one of us who is also building the kit. Ive got a bit of soldering experience so il be happy to help anyone that gets stuck but it shouldn't be too difficult. pricing should be coming in tomorrow hopefully.
Old 12th September 2010, 2:21 PM   #10
oohms

It looks pretty easy (point to point wiring, few components), just beware that you are dealing with mains power and high voltages that will be stored in the capacitors
oohms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 3:04 PM   #11
Hens

I am definately interested in a kit. I have been eyeing one myself but lacked the motivation to actually order one (unless my hand was assisted by a group buy).

Have you considered the speedball upgrade as well?
Hens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 3:10 PM   #12
DeejW Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hens View Post
I am definately interested in a kit. I have been eyeing one myself but lacked the motivation to actually order one (unless my hand was assisted by a group buy).

Have you considered the speedball upgrade as well?
yes im very interested in the speedball upgrade. Ive been reading through the bottlehead forums and most say its well worth the extra $100. But to keep things simple I want to keep this as a standard crack otl kit group buy for now. Then if this order goes smoothly il be happy to organise a speedball upgrade group buy too. The speedball upgrade can be easily retrofitted to the crack otl.

il update the op with a list of interested members. I think the perfect number is 10 at this stage, if theres 10 interested il seek agg approval and then things can go ahead. so get in quick people.
Old 12th September 2010, 3:57 PM   #13
m_ani3
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
yes im very interested in the speedball upgrade. Ive been reading through the bottlehead forums and most say its well worth the extra $100. But to keep things simple I want to keep this as a standard crack otl kit group buy for now. Then if this order goes smoothly il be happy to organise a speedball upgrade group buy too. The speedball upgrade can be easily retrofitted to the crack otl.

il update the op with a list of interested members. I think the perfect number is 10 at this stage, if theres 10 interested il seek agg approval and then things can go ahead. so get in quick people.
cool any word back from bottlehead about price if you get say 10 kits? ... their webpage states 2 or more you get one unit for 190ish usd.. here is me hoping it will be less lol .... but nonetheless 200 is still a good deal ..
Old 12th September 2010, 3:59 PM   #14
DeejW Thread Starter

Quote:
cool any word back from bottlehead about price if you get say 10 kits? ... their webpage states 2 or more you get one unit for 190ish usd.. here is me hoping it will be less lol .... but nonetheless 200 is still a good deal ..
still waiting on reply, it is the weekend after all. but yes I think 10 should give us a pretty substantial discount. considering the discount from buying 1 to 2. But we do have to pay extra for the 240v transformer
Old 12th September 2010, 4:14 PM   #15
m_ani3
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
still waiting on reply, it is the weekend after all. but yes I think 10 should give us a pretty substantial discount. considering the discount from buying 1 to 2. But we do have to pay extra for the 240v transformer
they should send it for free lol ... oh wellzy .... waiting lol