Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 21st January 2015, 3:09 PM   #1
Snufkin Thread Starter
OCAU Sponsor

Default DACs and amps really aren't that difficult to understand...

Here's some simple info for those that appear confused:

First up: DAC stands for Digital to Analogue Converter. It converts digital audio (00101011010) into analogue sound. Everything you have that plays some form of digital music has a DAC in it.
Phones, CD players, HT receivers, DVD and Blu-Ray players etc have DACs in them.

It's the quality and implementation of the DAC that matters.
You will notice a difference if you go from a poor quality DAC to a good quality one, but the difference between a good quality DAC and a great quality one isn't as big as the difference between a poor quality DAC and a good quality one vs the $ you will pay.

Second: Amps amplify the analogue signal by adding power. Everything you can plug headphones or speakers into and get an audible signal has some kind of amp in it.
Your phone, media player, soundcard etc have amps in them.

It's the quality and implementation of the amp that matters.
You will notice a difference if you go from a poor quality amp to a good quality one, but the difference between a good quality amp and a great quality one isn't as big as the difference between a poor quality amp and a good quality one vs the $ you will pay.
Some headphones, or speakers, will require more power than others. This doesn't make them better, it just makes them more demanding.

It's all about bottlenecks.

Here is a typical simple audio chain:
Production quality -> format (digital files, CD etc) -> DAC (not present in an analogue setup) -> amp -> speakers/headphones.

Whichever of these steps offers the lowest quality will determine the quality of the end result.
You cannot put back quality that has been taken away somewhere in the chain.

In closing 24/192 is dumb.

Last edited by Snufkin; 21st January 2015 at 3:25 PM.
Snufkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 21st January 2015, 3:14 PM   #2
MUTMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
You cannot put back quality that has been taken away somewhere in the chain.

Many have made a dollar selling the opposite of this

Great post snuffy. I assume you're sick of the same questions over and over
MUTMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 3:19 PM   #3
Snufkin Thread Starter
OCAU Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTMAN View Post
Many have made a dollar selling the opposite of this
Yeah, it's not something I subscribe to.
This page has some good reading

Quote:
Great post snuffy. I assume you're sick of the same questions over and over
The question is fine it's just the confusion about DACs and amps like they are mysical, difficult to understand things which they really aren't.
Get yourself a decent DAC and/or amp to begin with and it's something you won't have to worry about for a really long time.
Manufacturers are coming out with higher numbers to try and justify the new tech they keep churning out and people will always get sucked in because higher numberzz!!!1
Old 21st January 2015, 3:28 PM   #4
MUTMAN

Part two of the xiph article where monty does the actual ADC >DAC on top end gear is a good watch too

Sounds like you need a holiday mate these crazy numbers keep you and me in a job

edit - its the first link at the top of the article you linked
watched these a while back, monty is a bloody champ
MUTMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 3:35 PM   #5
Snufkin Thread Starter
OCAU Sponsor

I could make a lot more money if I was into the more questionable side of things, like super expensive power or USB cables...
The margin on stuff like that is GREAT!
Old 21st January 2015, 7:20 PM   #6
Life_Essence

You should add to that that most cables and everything made by monster (coax, power, speaker, data or otherwise) are full of shit.

Gold plated, Neon Filled, Blessed by the Pope himself Heliax LDF4-50-A 0.25m S/PDIF Cable SON.

[Logitech 'G' Owners Club Member #22]
Life_Essence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 8:00 PM   #7
/invariance\

Don't forget directional cables.
What about speaker cable risers....
I would rofl but it's pretty sad how some companies prey on the uninformed.

Edit: I should also say gullible. As for the fools, well they deserve it.
Waiting for a rebuild: AMD Phenom II 1100T, ASUS M5A99X EVO, 8G Patriot PG38G1600EL, HIS Radeon HD6670
Decomissioned Crunching boxen: 5xP4 (Willarnette, Northwood, 3 Prescott)

Last edited by /invariance\; 25th January 2015 at 11:12 PM.
/invariance\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 8:56 PM   #8
trackhappy

I hope this wasn't inspired by my thread.

And while we're on the subject of voodoo power cables, here's probably the best Tumblr blog you'll ever read. If you don't believe me and are too lazy to click, the most recent article is on how storage mediums affect how music sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wathifi
Harris thought the Hitachi sounded very ethereal, almost out of phase, and rated it lowest; the Seagate was sharper with a more thumpy bass, slightly brighter with a slight tendency to sibilance. Both lacked much drive in presenting the Madonna track, and were certainly ‘mushy’ […]

If the Kingston SSD stood apart from the disk drives for its mostly good yet quite alien character, drive four made itself known for entirely the wrong reasons. This Corsair drive (another SSD) conspicuously highlighted vocal sibilants, and had a hard, relentless quality that was impossible to miss.
Shooter: 40D | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/4 L
Flickr
trackhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 9:44 PM   #9
Modafroman

Read head-fi: good way to increase your blood pressure. So much rubbish/hypetrains.

The hype around the Schiit stuff as well annoys the crap out of me. I'm all for his message and what the company stands for, and he's pretty transparent about the way he runs the business, mistakes they've made and learnings, but the whole made in america thing is dumb for anyone not in the US. It's all well and good, but the value for money thing gets destroyed as soon as you try to take into account shipping and currency conversion fees. Even their base level $100 models suddenly become $250AUD here, which is just silly.
PC: i7 4930K | Asus R4F | 16GB Gskill | Asus GTX680 DC2 | XSPC Raystorm+RX360+280mm-SR1 | Samsung 830 256GB | OCZ Vertex 3 120GB | 8TB HDDs | Creative X-Fi Ti HD | Fractal Designs Define XL | Corsair HX1000 | Dell U2711+U2311 |
Modafroman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:15 PM   #10
Snufkin Thread Starter
OCAU Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhappy View Post
I hope this wasn't inspired by my thread.
haha no, it's been on my mind a while

Quote:
And while we're on the subject of voodoo power cables, here's probably the best Tumblr blog you'll ever read. If you don't believe me and are too lazy to click, the most recent article is on how storage mediums affect how music sounds.
See this is what I'm talking about.
Someone claims they can hear a difference (they can't) then other people figure "what's the harm?" - a fool and his money is easily parted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modafroman View Post
Read head-fi: good way to increase your blood pressure. So much rubbish/hypetrains.

The hype around the Schiit stuff as well annoys the crap out of me. I'm all for his message and what the company stands for, and he's pretty transparent about the way he runs the business, mistakes they've made and learnings, but the whole made in america thing is dumb for anyone not in the US. It's all well and good, but the value for money thing gets destroyed as soon as you try to take into account shipping and currency conversion fees. Even their base level $100 models suddenly become $250AUD here, which is just silly.
heh - I could write a lot about that situation, but I won't
Old 22nd January 2015, 1:50 PM   #11
Comma

Just get a baller like Jan Meier to give you a CHEAPER international price than a local price. (But that's because of VAT...)
Comma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2015, 1:54 PM   #12
Life_Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modafroman View Post
I almost thought that brand name was a joke. "Buy yourself a pair of schiit headphones :P" but then I went to the website, Everything looks pretty standard bar the AUD upmark you mentioned but the SYS annoys me. USD$49 for 6xRCA connectors, 1 Switch and 1 Pot? That's ridiculous. I'm glad that they tell you that's all it is but it's still stupidly expensive for what it is.

[Logitech 'G' Owners Club Member #22]
Life_Essence is offline   Reply With Quote