Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 30th December 2013, 10:37 AM   #1
bobster Thread Starter

Default Creative Sound Blaster Z any good?

Hiya,

I want a sound card and the Asus Zonar STX is a bit pricey and the DX may not be the right card for me.

Anyone tried the Creative Sound Blaster Z, I know the last gen of these cards had a lot of issues but are these better?

Cheers

Bob

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 30th December 2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Acesi7

Have a read through this thread.

Some pretty experienced Audiophiles and Sound Card enthusiasts compare it to most models out there...

[Review] Sound Blaster Z Review
Acesi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 1:53 PM   #3
bobster Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesi7 View Post
Have a read through this thread.

Some pretty experienced Audiophiles and Sound Card enthusiasts compare it to most models out there...

[Review] Sound Blaster Z Review
Just bought a Zx hehe
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh....php?t=1113032
Old 31st December 2013, 8:46 AM   #4
Schumi275

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster View Post
Nice pick up . I have been running the ZX for close to a year now and cannot fault it. I just run a set of Sennheiser Momentums even for gaming and sound quality is impressive for me. The remote mic works very well if mp games are your thing. I have the mic almost a metre away from me and can still have it setup to eliminate all the background noise of my pc and TV whilst picking up just my voice very clear. Hopefully your as happy with your purchase as I was with mine. .
Schumi275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 12:03 PM   #5
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster View Post
Anyone tried the Creative Sound Blaster Z, I know the last gen of these cards had a lot of issues but are these better?
When Creative software works they work well....but I tell ya what, my next card probably won't be creative at this rate. Getting tired of just little software issues time and time again. Although I think I might have said the same thing a few creative card purchases ago
MR CHILLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 1:44 PM   #6
bobster Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
When Creative software works they work well....but I tell ya what, my next card probably won't be creative at this rate. Getting tired of just little software issues time and time again. Although I think I might have said the same thing a few creative card purchases ago
Problem is ASUS Xonars suffer from software issues as well although modern beefed up ALC 1150 like asrocks Pure Audio and the latest Supreme FX do a decent job now but I wanna know if a proper soundcards beats them haha
Old 7th January 2014, 1:18 PM   #7
bobster Thread Starter

Default Review

Hiya

Quick review of my Sounblaster Zx.

Great card with amazing improvement in sound quality.
I have had ALC892, ALC1150, ASUS ROG VI Gene and Impact with Supreme FX and Xonar DG. This card beats them all, you can hear way more frequencies and the bass is awesome and more in game effects.

Personally I would only go for the Zx if you use headphones its completely wasted haveing the volume control feature for Speaker. If you only use speakers go for the Z.
Old 9th January 2014, 5:55 PM   #8
Äpocalępse

I've got the ZxR. I use both speakers/headphones for movies & music/games. Haven't really noticed much difference except in bass going from onboard sound to the ZxR with Logitech z506 speakers but have seen a noticeable difference with my Razor headphones. I have started getting issues though where it randomly reassigns the 5.1 speakers to different positions, ie: front left becomes rear right, etc. It's only ever happened with this sound card.

I read somewhere that the previous generation cards had hardware decoding. So you could have connected something like a PS3 to run blurays through to your PC but this card doesn't have it. So when you plug in a PS3 it just makes a sort of static sound.
Äpocalępse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 6:25 PM   #9
terrastrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Äpocalępse View Post
I've got the ZxR. I use both speakers/headphones for movies & music/games. Haven't really noticed much difference except in bass going from onboard sound to the ZxR with Logitech z506 speakers but have seen a noticeable difference with my Razor headphones. I have started getting issues though where it randomly reassigns the 5.1 speakers to different positions, ie: front left becomes rear right, etc. It's only ever happened with this sound card.

I read somewhere that the previous generation cards had hardware decoding. So you could have connected something like a PS3 to run blurays through to your PC but this card doesn't have it. So when you plug in a PS3 it just makes a sort of static sound.
I have highlighted the reason why you aren't hearing any improvements.
terrastrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 6:27 PM   #10
TheBear21

I think I read somewhere that the headphone output on the ACM is next to useless as it doesn't use the good headphone amp on the card. Have to plug headphones directly into headphone out on the card for the full benefit.

This the case? Or am I totally wrong?
Old 10th January 2014, 7:00 PM   #11
Schumi275

The ACM plugs directly into the headphone (and mic) output jacks on the sound card and is analogue cables so I am not sure that sounds right. I have been running my Sennheiser Momentums through the ACM and they sound great.

I am no audiophile but if it didn't use the sound card amp how would it power my headphones?
Schumi275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 5:07 PM   #12
Chamelion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
I'm so sick of creative software and drivers being tits on a bull useless that I'm for the first time in a decade moving to another brand.

AUS STX this time...
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 6:24 PM   #13
onggie

I had a Z and it shit me up the wall that there was no Linux support. The control software took 15seconds to open. I had the realisation that Creative can go die. I went and bought a Xonar DX. I use the UniDrivers for Windows and the card works out of the box on OpenSuse. Will never buy a Creative product again.
onggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 11:08 PM   #14
lithos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBear21 View Post
I think I read somewhere that the headphone output on the ACM is next to useless as it doesn't use the good headphone amp on the card. Have to plug headphones directly into headphone out on the card for the full benefit.

This the case? Or am I totally wrong?
Drives my 250-ohm Beyers at full balls-to-the-wall. No difference to plugging them straight into the card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrastrife View Post
I have highlighted the reason why you aren't hearing any improvements.
I like you.
lithos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 11:31 PM   #15
Mau1wurf1977
(Banned or Deleted)

I haven't had driver issues with Creative Cards since the Sound Blaster 1.5

Sometimes they simply do not support your OS, but other companies like Canon do the same thing.

The W7 64x driver disc and web drivers for 8.0 worked beautifully on my Titanium HD under 8.1.
Mau1wurf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote