OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 8th November 2014, 8:32 PM   #1
dslazar Thread Starter

Default 3.5mm headphone jack replacement - something odd after

Hi guys,

I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD700's. They were plugged into the front audio panel in my PC and one day at a lan someone knocked the plug while plugged in which bent it. Ever since then i had to spend a minute turning the plug in the socket and pulling it in and out until i got stereo. Otherwise I'd only get sound out of the left can.

Anyway, i Googled it to see if i could do a home repair job and it seemed simple enough. So i ordered a new gold plated 3.5mm jack from asia for like $1 and it recently arrived. When i stripped back the headphone wires to hook it up to the new jack, i had a red (which from my reading is universally right) which i hooked up to the longer of the two plates, blue to the smaller plate and white to the ground / main metal plate. I soldered it back together and was excited when i had stereo sound. Except, I noticed a subtle difference, the sound is a tad fainter in the right can and the left can seems to be the only one producing bass as well.

Anyone know what I've done wrong? I de-soldered it all and tried it again, and tested different combinations of wires on different plates but none of them work except for the combination i explained above.

Hoping someone's done something similar and might know why there's softer no bassier sound coming out of the right, but the left is fine.

Thanks!
dslazar is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 8th November 2014, 8:57 PM   #2
nEBUz

Have you tried the headphones in another device to make double-sure that the jack wasn't damaged too? (although it seems unlikely, I've seen it happen before)
nEBUz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 6:40 AM   #3
dslazar Thread Starter

Yes I plugged them into the headphone jack in my speakers and my mobile phone and got the same thing. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 9th November 2014, 11:42 AM   #4
brocke8

Cut the plug off completely and cut around 10cm off the cable (the wires could be stretched and the right speaker could not have a full cable connection eg 2 wires out of 10 lets say)

When you strip the wires again for a new resolder be careful how you strip them, they are extremely fragile and as you strip the shielding you could be breaking strands up to 10mm to 20mm further up the cable.

resolder the connection.

Check the resistance on each speaker before and after soldering, to check if either wire are not earthing out and the resistance is equal on both speakers.

If this doesn't work either your cable is stuffed somewhere along the line or one of the speakers is shot.
brocke8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 3:16 PM   #5
dslazar Thread Starter

Hi Brocke8, thank you for the detailed response. I am currently moving house so these are in a box somewhere, but when i can, i will do as you suggest. I do like that pair of headphones!