Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 28th July 2015, 5:22 PM   #1
Freebee Thread Starter

Default xonar dgx... should i get a refund or replacement

so im 90% sure that my xonar dgx has an issue (getting crazy amounts of hum) and will likely end up returning it

just not sure whether to get a refund or replacement

bought it because it has a built in amp which is useful for driving my razer krakens (i know how they are gamer junk) which sound underpowered without an amp.. but then again for $40 i could just run on integrated audio (it gets better by the day) or even get a dedicated headphone amp in kit form

mainly wondering what you guys think?
(mb,cpu & gpu were free)
Freebee is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 28th July 2015, 5:41 PM   #2
mshagg
Politburo

I rate the little DGX. Supposedly 'good' onboard on this X99 board w/ heaphone amp but still sounds really flat and dull compared to the cheap as chips Xonar.

DAC/Headphone amp would obviously be a step up but you might find that's an overinvestment if the cans aren't worthy.
mshagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 7:06 PM   #3
Freebee Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshagg View Post
I rate the little DGX. Supposedly 'good' onboard on this X99 board w/ heaphone amp but still sounds really flat and dull compared to the cheap as chips Xonar.

DAC/Headphone amp would obviously be a step up but you might find that's an overinvestment if the cans aren't worthy.
all quite true and it has been a good card... but a refund would put another $40 in my pccg account... and ive also been considering building a Cmoy for a while now, and pricing up the parts, I could probably build one for $10~20ish.... so mainly interested in whether: on-board + HP amp (basic Cmoy) >= xonar dgx

and yeah... the cans aren't worth an external DAC... but the amp makes them a ton better.... imagine beats, but with 1/2 decent sound quality and 4x the bass feeling (for lack of better terminology).... that's what razer krakens sound like when given enough power... defiantly worth an amp
(mb,cpu & gpu were free)

Last edited by Freebee; 28th July 2015 at 7:11 PM.
Freebee is offline   Reply With Quote