Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Photography & Video

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 29th January 2012, 7:34 AM   #1
two40 Thread Starter

Default Photo Rights and Privacy Laws To Change...?

SMH article source

Quote:
Overseas, celebrities such as Naomi Campbell have led the way in seeking to enforce their right to privacy from the lenses of the paparazzi.

In Australia, however, while in a public place ''a person … does not have a right not to be photographed'' - as former Supreme Court justice John Dowd once put it - because of the absence of a right to privacy.

''In every other Western nation in the world there's a bill or a charter of rights that governs privacy, where people have a constitutional right to privacy,'' the head of the NSW Council for Civil Liberties, Cameron Murphy, says.

The council, along with other privacy experts and lawyers, has called for such a right to be enshrined in legislation in Australia in submissions made to a federal review late last year which could also restrict the use of photography.

Quote:
Nemeth says for the past few years people have been becoming more hostile to having their photograph taken in a public space, especially when male photographers take images of children, even their own, or take photos at the beach.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 29th January 2012, 7:49 AM   #2
wrobel

So what happens to all the cctv's around the country?
wrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 9:04 AM   #3
BRGMCS

Ironic that the council for civil liberties wants to restrict what people can do...
Old 29th January 2012, 9:32 AM   #4
Jack's Butt
(Banned or Deleted)

Well that's me boned.
Jack's Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 9:56 AM   #5
Power47

maybe i can start shooting weddings in a ghillie suit
Old 1st March 2012, 8:06 PM   #6
deepspring
(Taking a Break)

I've never experienced any kind of harassment, but I am so glad I'm only into product, still life, and landscape photography...

When I do my landscape shots, I usually plan well in advance what I am going to take before I take my camera out of the bag, so I'm not caught meandering around a place for any longer than about half an hour to an hour.

I only photograph on beaches when it's either dawn or sunset when most people (especially children) are either in bed or are heading home, and I generally avoid heavily populated locations.
deepspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 10:37 PM   #7
lionman

Since when is taking a photo of someone an invasion of their privacy? Wouldn't that basically equate to looking at someone being an invasion of privacy?

Pointing a 600mm lens at someone house into their bedroom window is one thing, but taking a photo of strangers on the street is completely harmless.

I think the Council for Civil Liberties have lost their minds.
lionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 8:37 AM   #8
checks202

My 2cents,

To enforce that people can't pictures of strangers is crazy. So what happens to tourists?

I say, keep shooting and if someone doesn't want themselves in the picture I expect them ask or say something. In such I'll delete it.
Old 2nd March 2012, 8:47 AM   #9
NIE70

Found an interesting article on the issue.

http://4020.net/words/photorights.php
Old 2nd March 2012, 8:50 AM   #10
jum

Sounds like one of those laws where they want to make everybody a criminal so that the cops can arrest someone if/when they feel like it.

Male at a beach with a camera? Obvious pedo - random mother complains - lock him up.
jum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 9:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionman View Post
Since when is taking a photo of someone an invasion of their privacy? Wouldn't that basically equate to looking at someone being an invasion of privacy?
About the second you show it to somebody else without their permission.

I had this same argument with my wedding photographer.

Ultimately, its your "copyrighted" photo, but the likenesses in them belong to the person you took them from.

When you "look at someone" you cant take that look and publish it later. You can describe it sure, but its not the same thing.
426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 9:41 AM   #12
Athiril

Quote:
Originally Posted by 426 View Post
About the second you show it to somebody else without their permission.

I had this same argument with my wedding photographer.

Ultimately, its your "copyrighted" photo, but the likenesses in them belong to the person you took them from.

When you "look at someone" you cant take that look and publish it later. You can describe it sure, but its not the same thing.
Their likeness doens't belong to them. As it stands you do not need a person's permission.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/athiril/
35mm, 6x7cm, 4x5"
Ask me about C-41 & E-6 processing!
Athiril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 9:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
Their likeness doens't belong to them. As it stands you do not need a person's permission.
I would think for commercial use. eg. advertising on their website, you would.
426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:14 AM   #14
^catalyst

426, please, do not post any more opinion on this before reading in to it further. There is a huge amount of misinformation and misunderstanding online about photographing peopling in Australia, please do not add more. I mean no offence.

Even for commercial use you don't necessarily need permission, but its far too complicated to explain adequately in a few sentences and really needs to be addressed on a case by case basis.
^catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:27 AM   #15
Athiril

Suffice to say you do not necessarily need permission. Obviously any commercial usage is best to have it, especially to preserve a good rep if you're a photographer etc, so people will continue to want to hire your services.

Either the commercial usage needs to be of note (big campaign) not some backyard catalogue or low traffic website, or you need to be of note yourself. Though there's probably exceptions to that too.

http://www.artslaw.com.au/info-sheet...ge/#headingh32

While putting an example of their work in a gallery may be commercial usage, it's not necessarily 'sponsorship' of their services by that person, as in the case you're talking about the image is not usually of a noteworth person with a public reputation, nor is it misleading people into thinking that this person edorses this photographer's services.

As it is the image itself, and not the person's likeness that's advertising their services, because generally their service is about the quality of image they can provide, and Average Joe being in the image isn't bringing any benefit to their business either, it's also a documentation/journalism of something that has happened.

I would go so far as to say, it's more like the image itself is in commercial usage, but the likeness of the person is not in commercial usage, though it may not necessarily be seen as two separate things. But you cannot get a black and white rule in this case to apply to everything so you don't have to examine everything case by case.

"53 False or misleading representations "
" (c) represent that goods or services have sponsorship, approval, performance characteristics, accessories, uses or benefits they do not have;"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/athiril/
35mm, 6x7cm, 4x5"
Ask me about C-41 & E-6 processing!

Last edited by Athiril; 2nd March 2012 at 10:40 AM.
Athiril is offline   Reply With Quote