Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Extreme and Water Cooling

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 16th February 2012, 12:32 PM   #1
TommySCD Thread Starter

Default Would a Corsair VX550W Power Supply be able to power...

Hi guy's, quick question...

Would a Corsair VX550W Power Supply be able to power...

I52500k
GTX560TI
Couple HD's + DVDROM
and a Koolance PMP-450 12V Variable Speed Pump

Also...

Would these parts all go together properly?

XSPC RayStorm CPU Waterblock Copper Edition
Koolance PMP-450 12V Variable Speed Pump
Koolance RP-452X2 Reservoir for PMP-450/S Pumps Rev.1.3
XSPC EX240 Radiator
PrimoChill PrimoFlex Pro LRT Tubing Black 1/2ID 3/4OD
Bitspower G1/4 Matte Black 1/2 Compression Fitting CC5

I surely hope so as i've already order'd everything. LOL, damn impulse buying.
I've got a feeling i'm gunna wish i had did a bit more research.
Anyhow, at the moment it's just the CPU i'm watercooling but i thought i'd grab a decent resovoir and pump cause i'm thinking of adding extra loop for GPU.

Appreciate any bit of advice, thx guys

Last edited by TommySCD; 16th February 2012 at 12:47 PM.
TommySCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 16th February 2012, 1:29 PM   #2
Mav3r1k

Its going to be close thats for sure! I have a CM620w powering a i3-550 @4.4GHz, 4GIG DDR3, 5 HDDs, GTX560 OC but no watercooling parts. I know it would not run from a CM460w unit.
Intel i5-750 @4Ghz | Gigabyte P55A-UD4P | GSkill 8GIG 1600Mhz | Nvidia MSI GTX780 Lighting OC 3GIG | Nvidia Gigabyte GTX570 OC [Physx]| X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion | 240GIG SSD | WD 1TB Black | WD 3TB | Corsair TX850 v2 | Corsair Obsidian 700D | 3x ASUS 27" LED | XSPC Raystorm CPU Block | XSPC RX360 | EK-RS250 & D5 Vario |
Mav3r1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 2:23 PM   #3
walker_2003

People would say yes but I'd go a 750w whilst on a spending spree to have leeway, especially once u w/c and overclock CPU and GPU
Old 16th February 2012, 7:44 PM   #4
TommySCD Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker_2003 View Post
People would say yes but I'd go a 750w whilst on a spending spree to have leeway, especially once u w/c and overclock CPU and GPU
Yeah.. i've kinda spent a bit of money already so if i can get away with the 550W Corsair that would be good but if i have to then i'll just grab a new PSU.
What happens if i do try using the 550W but it's not enpough power. Can i damage anything or will it just not power up?

Also, any comments on the parts i bought?
Old 17th February 2012, 9:55 AM   #5
Spyfox

if you already have one, then use it
if you dont, then save for a better one
PSU is one of those things that generally get carried onto the next build and the one after.
Spyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 11:50 AM   #6
TommySCD Thread Starter

Yeah... i had bought the PSU a while ago, otherwise i def would have gone for a better one if i was buying now.
K, ill give this one a go first i guess

Oh, and thx for creating this thread for me mods I was like, i'm sure this is the sticky thread i posted in, or maybe not... hmmm.
Old 17th February 2012, 1:45 PM   #7
walker_2003

Unless the PSU is heaps under powered it will boot but PC will be unstable in intensive CPU and GPU apps if not enough grunt.
Old 17th February 2012, 6:42 PM   #8
Sugarfly

Very similar to what I have been looking to do. I have a hx650, i5 2500k, 570 SOC and ssd. Was going to he rev 2 of the res and probs blue, purple or clear tube. Planning on just doing I CPU first and have the rad at the top of my 650D. Keep me updated on how it goes very keen to see how it pans out.
Sugarfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 7:36 AM   #9
TommySCD Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker_2003 View Post
Unless the PSU is heaps under powered it will boot but PC will be unstable in intensive CPU and GPU apps if not enough grunt.
Fair enough, guess i'll just try it and hope for the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfly View Post
Very similar to what I have been looking to do. I have a hx650, i5 2500k, 570 SOC and ssd. Was going to he rev 2 of the res and probs blue, purple or clear tube. Planning on just doing I CPU first and have the rad at the top of my 650D. Keep me updated on how it goes very keen to see how it pans out.
Wow, pretty much exactly what im doing too and i have a 650d also.
Basically just wanna mount my ex240 rad up top, loop to the cpu and then in the future when i buy my next gpu (prob one of of the new 600 series kepler nividia cards, round $600 - $700) i'll grab one that can be watercooled and probably will add another phobya 200mm fan at the front as thats what seem's to be the recommended rad for the front which accommodates the 200mm fan but i'm looking into somehing else as the stock corsair fans seem shithouse to me and a lot of other ppl say the are.

I'd love to keep in touch with you to see your progress is going, i think we can learn a lot from each other and i'll def keep this thread updated with pics etc.

There's something that i wanted to ask you too which u might be able to know. The built in corsair fan controller. You can attatch 4 fans to it but when i attatch a pwm fan the thing doesn't turn on at all.
I know it's got something to do with all the fan cables running off the fan controller being 2 pin cables but there has to be a way around it.
When i attatch 3 pin fans they work fine.
I've currently orderd 2 pwm noctua fans. I mean worse comes to worse i'll use the mb, there's a few pwm headers and with decent optios for good speed control for all the headers in bios
. That or i can change my noctua pwm's to pain normal noctua's. Currently the order is still processing so i still got a chance

Take it easy buddy, keep in touch

Last edited by TommySCD; 18th February 2012 at 7:48 AM.
Old 18th February 2012, 7:55 AM   #10
TommySCD Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfly View Post
Very similar to what I have been looking to do.
Any chance you could list your components that you've gotten so far and also the ones you plan to get.
Old 22nd February 2012, 7:56 AM   #11
Sugarfly

I am no help on the PWM fans sorry I am using a Lamptron fan controller some one else will know though.

I have the 650D, a Z68 UD3R, i5 2500k, Corsair 1600C9 16GB Vengeance, Corsair Force 3 120gb, Gigabyte 570SOC, HX650, Lamptron FC touch fan controller, 3 gelid wing fans in use 2 still unused, 1 CM Strom Blue LED at the front, and a Noctua NH-C14 with the 2 Noctua fans.

So not using any of the Corsair fans anymore. I like the Laptron fan controller but it just doesn't sit flush.

WC parts that I am planing on getting; Raystorm Block, EX240 Rad at top, Koolance RP-452X2 Reservoir Rev.2.0, Koolance PMP-450S 12/24V Water Pump or should I get the other model that is the same price I know this one is meant to be stronger will I need that? Probably wont got to a multi GPU setup ever. When the new graphics cards come from Nvida I will get a reference design this time around and get a aqua computer block or maybe Koolance and the Phobya 200mm.

Have you made any progress recently I am waiting till I go on my holiday next month first. Do want to spend all my cash on water cooling parts then be short of money on the holiday no fun holidaying without money.
Sugarfly is offline   Reply With Quote