Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Extreme and Water Cooling

Notices

Search our forums with Google:
Closed Thread

Old 10th February 2012, 3:27 PM   #31
Moptimus
(Taking a Break)

10% ready mixed coolant to di is the common ratio from back in the day. How far back in the day? Car heater core back in the day.

Makes shit green or red though - clear tube included.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 10th February 2012, 5:39 PM   #32
Theodorou

Creekin's rant commencing shortly.....
Old 15th February 2012, 3:11 AM   #33
aeidau

EK are not fine a new video has been released

http://www.realredraider.com/vbullet...=47617&page=13

See for yourself a flaking block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topet2k12001
Uploaded by topet2k12001 on Feb 11, 2012
Video upload to submit flaking issue of EK waterblock. Product is newly-opened and not yet used.

The waterblock is not yet used as I am still waiting on some final parts to complete my build. I opened it just to check and noticed that the outer surface is already exhibiting signs of flaking/wear. I initially tried to wipe it with a soft cloth and unfortunately the nickel plating continued to flake. I tried to rub with my hands and apparently the entire waterblock flaked (like skin peeling off when you have a sunburn). The entire outer surface of the waterblock peeled off.

I opened the waterblock to inspect the inside surface. It did not flake but I fear that it eventually will, because if my understanding is correct, the entire inside and outside surface is treated/plated. Also I took some pictures. The inside surface has two metal "bars". I took pictures of the bars from the left and right side. One side seemed smooth but the other appears rough (like chipped skin from sunburn or chapped lips) and I fear that this side is where flaking may start to happen.
Buy German made and designed water-cooling products. Germany has strict manufacturing and product quality regulation unlike Slovenia (EK), Korea and China (Swiftech, XSPC, Koolance, etc).

I mainly buy from German companies like Watercool, MIPS and Aquacomputer and guess what I have perfect blocks, perfect plating and little or no machining marks. The only Asian based company have watercooling gear from is Bitspower and they are Taiwanese.

Last edited by aeidau; 15th February 2012 at 3:23 AM.
Old 15th February 2012, 8:54 AM   #34
Mav3r1k

aeidau, I have been using XSPC gear for about 3.5 years now and I have never had a problem with any of their blocks or other accessories. I have used probably 16-20 different CPU, GPU and Chipset blocks over the years in many different systems and not one has ever had a problem with quality, fitting, finish and for the price, it was even better.

Like many, i wont be touching EK for a long time, despite liking their blocks and using many over the years also.
Intel i5-750 @4Ghz | Gigabyte P55A-UD4P | GSkill 8GIG 1600Mhz | Nvidia MSI GTX780 Lighting OC 3GIG | Nvidia Gigabyte GTX570 OC [Physx]| X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion | 240GIG SSD | WD 1TB Black | WD 3TB | Corsair TX850 v2 | Corsair Obsidian 700D | 3x ASUS 27" LED | XSPC Raystorm CPU Block | XSPC RX360 | EK-RS250 & D5 Vario |
Old 15th February 2012, 10:08 AM   #35
Moptimus
(Taking a Break)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeidau View Post
EK are not fine a new video has been released

http://www.realredraider.com/vbullet...=47617&page=13

See for yourself a flaking block.
Yeah that seems like a place for a balanced opinion.

And the flaking is coming off and leaving nickel behind, not copper.

EDIT: LMAO - how immature is that board.

http://www.realredraider.com/vbullet...&postcount=314

Thank god for impartial moderation and forum control.

Last edited by Moptimus; 15th February 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 15th February 2012, 10:58 AM   #36
radeon_freak

Is that the same twat who was trying to score business out of the EK flaking issue? Slamming EK and at the same time promoting his or friends plating business?
trades/sales: Hung Mung01, arnica, goodguy82, pshnfry, Pic, XTREME OC'ER, lui_gough, alexanderino, phil_is_mrx, Noonoo, lionman, snoozeys, callen_1, iCrunk, craigoss, CHemical, V1C7012, mtot, Miggod, protecon, Chop92per, Copie, stedyedy, Pipster, Peteodeath, Blue_muppet, dingdong555, baby_ute, fredhoon, WuzzA21, ElBeasto, lostdude, endo, disa1377,TwistedTripper, SoniQx, MorgzMods, gigabyte123, lostdude, vinnie, iNoob, colinskies, Wombycat, jamieyn, Linkin, aln, Little Man, linsi + many more
Old 15th February 2012, 11:00 AM   #37
HornySamus
(Banned or Deleted)

trolls trolling trolls.
inb4 Red posts here
inb4 thread shutdown
Old 15th February 2012, 11:01 AM   #38
HornySamus
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeon_freak View Post
Is that the same twat who was trying to score business out of the EK flaking issue? Slamming EK and at the same time promoting his or friends plating business?
yep. because he uses strong, american made plating, by americans, for americans.
Old 15th February 2012, 12:17 PM   #39
Moptimus
(Taking a Break)

MERIKUH!! F*CK YEAH!!!
Old 16th February 2012, 2:41 AM   #40
aeidau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moptimus View Post
And the flaking is coming off and leaving nickel behind, not copper.
You would be an idiot consider this to be acceptable. Under ACCC regulations this product would be considered to be faulty. Go back to shopping at MSY. It's the same situation they are just milking ignorant customers who put up with their shit. It's the human centipede of consumerism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeon_freak View Post
Don't comment on what you don't know. It's a normal legitimate business arrangement and of course anyone would back up their product/service in the same situation. You do know how capitalism works right?
Old 16th February 2012, 7:04 AM   #41
Moptimus
(Taking a Break)

Quote:
You would be an idiot consider this to be acceptable. Under ACCC regulations this product would be considered to be faulty. Go back to shopping at MSY. It's the same situation they are just milking ignorant customers who put up with their shit. It's the human centipede of consumerism.

Ok, All I said is that it was strange that the flaking nickel reveals more nickel underneath, usually you would expect that for a nickle plated, copper object to flake, the material exposed beneath would be copper. AND YOU DON'T SEE ANY COPPER AT ANY STAGE OF THAT VIDEO.

But no lets rant about MSY, and other shoddy business practises, because you haven't missed/avoided the point at all.

Quote:
Don't comment on what you don't know. It's a normal legitimate business arrangement and of course anyone would back up their product/service in the same situation. You do know how capitalism works right?
It is called a conflict of interests. And while it may be a part of capitalism, it is at best, a shady part.
Old 16th February 2012, 7:51 AM   #42
aokman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishBone17 View Post
I've been hearing stories of people using car coolant and the green shit seperating and clogging out your waterblocks, you need to know that car radiator and cooling system isn't as complex and intricate as a pc with multi blocks.

Just go demin/distilled water and get a bottle of Liquid Utopia, best and most safest way of watercooling.. Add a 99.9 pure silver piece for extra safeness if needbe (don't neeed to if using liq utop)
i have been running nulon red for almost 3yrs now in 1 loop. Never had any buildup or floating bits. Cleaned some fluff out of the heatkiller block once from the initial build and thats it. Also using a EK/heatkiller block and no issues at all lol.

Heatkiller block also looks brand new inside not even tainted and i dont use kill coils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moptimus View Post
Scratch Koolance to that list.

pix
what exactly is wrong with that block?

Last edited by aokman; 16th February 2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 16th February 2012, 8:57 AM   #43
warwhore
(Banned or Deleted)

Obvious RRR shill is obvious.
Old 16th February 2012, 9:01 AM   #44
roamin

i love these kinds of threads. very entertaining indeed lol

what ever it is ek have done, they have done it well as ppl still want there blocks. personally i wont touch them again. but each to there own. being shafted once is enough for me to never want there rubbish blocks again. especially when there are so many good blocks about today from other manufacturers who dont blame there customers when things go wrong.
Old 16th February 2012, 10:15 AM   #45
aokman

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamin View Post
i love these kinds of threads. very entertaining indeed lol

what ever it is ek have done, they have done it well as ppl still want there blocks. personally i wont touch them again. but each to there own. being shafted once is enough for me to never want there rubbish blocks again. especially when there are so many good blocks about today from other manufacturers who dont blame there customers when things go wrong.
every company has dodgy blocks, i had a heatkiller block almost destroy my videocard because it wasn't machined properly.

I agree the ek do have issues with some of their blocks but i also think that people are dreaming if they think a plain distilled loop with a kill coil and no corrosion protection is safe aswell esp when mixing metals / plating etc.