Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Extreme and Water Cooling

Notices

Search our forums with Google:
Closed Thread

Old 16th February 2012, 10:20 AM   #46
Moptimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokman View Post
what exactly is wrong with that block?
That block is a Koolance 370. That block is nickel plated. The one in the image is no longer nickel plated on the area that was in contact with the coolant.
Trades: koitech; bricktop; Mr DOHC; Bertross; Nerdbox87; Vantec; Rory K; i0Nic, Creepin, trash, Unr3strictable, EpicPCcases, omaraa, madaimer, pakka, mkusanagi, mrflay, illuminati, OnGsTa, doodz, interlopr.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 16th February 2012, 10:30 AM   #47
roamin

Quote:
every company has dodgy blocks, i had a heatkiller block almost destroy my videocard because it wasn't machined properly.

I agree the ek do have issues with some of their blocks but i also think that people are dreaming if they think a plain distilled loop with a kill coil and no corrosion protection is safe aswell esp when mixing metals / plating etc.
not here to repeat myself but at only 6 months mate, my block was stuffed. 6 months is no way near long enough to create the issue to the extremes mine was at. it was there plating, plain and simple. if its metal mixture than why have none of my aquacomputer blocks done it in the same period of time? still run the same water, same LU, same silver, same fittings, same rad, same pump and so on.

but its not just that, its the way ek went about it all and blamed the customers for 3 months as its our fault with what water we use and so on. i called bullshit. within good time though they pulled there heads out of there ass and claimed the warranty process. but it was to late. everyone was already over there bullshit and had enough. me included.

it was more about how they went about it more than anything else for me. they were assholes. simple. remember all there expert scientific testing and shit they did to prove everyone wrong? but yet they ended up going ok we will fix them all now. good luck to them, hope there business fails.

its no way to treat your customers especially when your one of the largest watercooling company's in the world.
Old 16th February 2012, 1:32 PM   #48
aokman

whatever lol im just pointing out that i have a had ek blocks aswell with proper automotive corrosion inhibitor in the correct mix and never had an issue. Running a plain water loop is just asking for trouble. Just because it doesn't happen with some other brands doesn't mean the block is necessarily faulty it just means they react differently.

Like i said i know some of their blocks have issues but it doesnt help when nubs mix 3 different metals in a loop and run plain distilled water and expect it to last LOL. There is a reason why all commercial cooling systems run inhibitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moptimus View Post
That block is a Koolance 370. That block is nickel plated. The one in the image is no longer nickel plated on the area that was in contact with the coolant.
ummm hard to tell from the pic but i would say that is polished copper and nothing more than oxidization of the surface area / finger prints etc...

Last edited by aokman; 16th February 2012 at 1:40 PM.
Old 16th February 2012, 1:50 PM   #49
Moptimus

Quote:

ummm hard to tell from the pic but i would say that is polished copper and nothing more than oxidization of the surface area / finger prints etc...
Nope.

This is a 370

This is the build log

And this is the block.

Click to view full size!
Trades: koitech; bricktop; Mr DOHC; Bertross; Nerdbox87; Vantec; Rory K; i0Nic, Creepin, trash, Unr3strictable, EpicPCcases, omaraa, madaimer, pakka, mkusanagi, mrflay, illuminati, OnGsTa, doodz, interlopr.
Old 16th February 2012, 2:16 PM   #50
aokman

looks fine to me? its just some oxidization on the surface area. Heat mixed with high water turbulence through the channels and high pressure would be more than enough to do it.

People need to stop worrying about making their loops pretty and clean and run the right stuff for the job, plain water is not good for longevity. Im running a 3-4 metal loop and there is no staining of blocks / corrosion etc, tubes arn't great but they never last.

In the end a bit of discoloring isn't going to hurt unless stuff floating through the loop clogging the channels and restricting flow.

Last edited by aokman; 16th February 2012 at 2:20 PM.
Old 16th February 2012, 4:06 PM   #51
random_al

Quote:
looks fine to me? its just some oxidization on the surface area. Heat mixed with high water turbulence through the channels and high pressure would be more than enough to do it.

People need to stop worrying about making their loops pretty and clean and run the right stuff for the job, plain water is not good for longevity. Im running a 3-4 metal loop and there is no staining of blocks / corrosion etc, tubes arn't great but they never last.

In the end a bit of discoloring isn't going to hurt unless stuff floating through the loop clogging the channels and restricting flow.
The part where the item description says Nickel-Plating should clue you in to the fact that it isn't polished copper, and Nickel doesn't oxidize to orange...
Old 18th February 2012, 3:12 PM   #52
Hood

Quote:
Nope.

This is a 370

This is the build log

And this is the block.

pix
Any word on Koolance replacing the block under warranty? they recently replaced the front of my RP-452X2, sent it from the USA at their own expense. took about 4 weeks as they didn't have any stock.
Old 18th February 2012, 3:31 PM   #53
radeon_freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamin View Post

but its not just that, its the way ek went about it all and blamed the customers for 3 months as its our fault with what water we use and so on. i called bullshit. within good time though they pulled there heads out of there ass and claimed the warranty process. but it was to late. everyone was already over there bullshit and had enough. me included.
So sick of this EK bashing going on. From what I understand, EK didnt blame anyone but merely stated the corrosion COULD have been caused by a number of things. And this was during the third party testing. Then once EK realised it was most likely due to a plating issue, the offered replacements no questions asked.

I dont see the problem? Just a whole bunch of impatient retards who wanted replacements right there and then.
trades/sales: Hung Mung01, arnica, goodguy82, pshnfry, Pic, XTREME OC'ER, lui_gough, alexanderino, phil_is_mrx, Noonoo, lionman, snoozeys, callen_1, iCrunk, craigoss, CHemical, V1C7012, mtot, Miggod, protecon, Chop92per, Copie, stedyedy, Pipster, Peteodeath, Blue_muppet, dingdong555, baby_ute, fredhoon, WuzzA21, ElBeasto, lostdude, endo, disa1377,TwistedTripper, SoniQx, MorgzMods, gigabyte123, lostdude, vinnie, iNoob, colinskies, Wombycat, jamieyn, Linkin, aln, Little Man, linsi + many more
Old 19th February 2012, 7:33 AM   #54
RedRaider

Here is a video that was posted up earlier this week...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IElI...eature=channel
<><
Old 19th February 2012, 7:55 AM   #55
Prosthetic
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood View Post
Any word on Koolance replacing the block under warranty? they recently replaced the front of my RP-452X2, sent it from the USA at their own expense. took about 4 weeks as they didn't have any stock.
Reading the thread, they initially were not going to replace it as you werent using their coolants, apparently the member had great difficulty in getting it replaced and had to climb the management ladder to have it done. He was running distilled + silver.
Old 19th February 2012, 8:41 AM   #56
Moptimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
Here is a video that was posted up earlier this week...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IElI...eature=channel
It is a bit odd for a nickel plated copper item to flake and not show any copper beneath. All the flaking issues that I have seen images of seem to have copper beneath, rather then what seems to be more nickel.
Old 19th February 2012, 9:40 AM   #57
Creekin

Quote:
It is a bit odd for a nickel plated copper item to flake and not show any copper beneath.
does seem a bit odd
may have been double plated?
it appears to be this one
http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/bl...al-nickel.html

i tried to reuse my original ek gpu blocks this week
they only had minor flaking to begin with.
soon as i started the pump,
the res turned into a silver snow globe

AC FTW
EK FTL
/endthread
Old 19th February 2012, 9:56 AM   #58
leithals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekin View Post

AC FTW
EK FTL
/endthread
Bit unfair. I was going to rehash everything but it's been said before.
Old 19th February 2012, 10:16 AM   #59
Moptimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekin View Post
does seem a bit odd
may have been double plated?
it appears to be this one
http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/bl...al-nickel.html

AC FTW
EK FTL
/endthread

Could be argued that the AC plating is not the best

Or maybe nickel plating is generally not the best idea - so far on this forum we have a AC tube res with plating coming off from sticky tape, - EK, a koolance-370 loosing its plating and not being replaced.

Full cu FTW
Old 19th February 2012, 10:21 AM   #60
Creekin

Quote:
Originally Posted by leithals View Post
Bit unfair. I was going to rehash everything but it's been said before.
true...i have tried to stay out of this...its page 4 ffs
but that vid posted above is new, and shocking
and i just tried to reuse my blocks this past week as i didnt think they were that bad..i was wrong.
Quote:

yeah ok if u think 1 item equals the 100s of dead ek blocks
the res is odd..i really cant see how tape can pull off plating, maybe the chemicals in it reacted or sumthin

some of u new guys seem to think its just about the nickel failures
and completely forget about or are unaware about all the other issues ek has had in the last 2 years.
failing o rings
cracking resz
un-machined blocks
etc...
and the way they were handled at the time.

google is your friend

Last edited by Creekin; 19th February 2012 at 10:25 AM.
Closed Thread