Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Photography & Video

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 28th February 2012, 7:37 PM   #31
SSJX Thread Starter

Thanks guys for putting it into perspective. We have negotiated a more 'appropriate' deposit with the photographer and both parties are happy

Add your PSN ID to OCAU's Wiki

Sony Vaio Club Member #2
SSJX is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 28th February 2012, 7:45 PM   #32
Deftone2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratosFear View Post
*snips*
Well you are putting a heck of a lot more down for a reception venue.. or a dress.. or many other things too ahead of time. Weddings are expensive... and photographers (if you are choosing the right one) are professionals.. its their business & livelihood.. and as (below) it doesnt mean things cant be discuss further or arranged. It hasnt even been mentioned in this thread that full payment generally occurs before the actual wedding day.

And a lot of people put priorities in different areas (of what I dont understand.. but as you said it is all personal ). Met a couple that spent $3500 on cars for the day, yet didnt want to scrounge up more than $600 for photography. I sure would remember the photos a bit longer than the cars lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJX View Post
Thanks guys for putting it into perspective. We have negotiated a more 'appropriate' deposit with the photographer and both parties are happy
Good! I am glad.. we arent an unreasonable bunch..
Deftone2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 10:05 PM   #33
WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftone2k View Post
52 weekends a year (most people get married on a Saturday or Sunday.. although week days are becoming more popular).

- 12 (Winter/Cold)
- 2 (Holidays/Periods that dont 'generally' attract bookings

= 38
I saw a similar defence to wedding photographer costs on dpreview recently.

What does the wedding photographer do with their time for the 3 months a year that they can't shoot weddings? Not many businesses I'm aware of that only expect to work 9 months a year for a decent return.

Last edited by WRC; 28th February 2012 at 10:07 PM.
WRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 10:29 PM   #34
BMan2

Another "wedding photographers" charge too much thread. Seriously? What's the problem - if you're going to spend $4k+ on a photographer - and that's a reasonable amount for a city-based decent photographer - what's the problem with putting half down as deposit? When are you going to change your mind? Why are you? If you're not - why are you worried?

I shot 36 weddings last year - but I'm rural based - so I might see 3 weddings a year not on the Saturday. However, over the Sep->Dec period - I had 15 weddings in a row. Three of those weddings cancelled with less than a weeks notice to myself - despite them being contacted contstantly - with one week to go I rang them and they said "oh sorry we're going with someone else" One even had the temerity to ask for their deposit back. My deposit is $500 - which is a little under 30% of my base package. I know you say - great - $500 for doing nothing - but in the busiest time of the year - that's at least $5k I've lost in 3 weddings. That's money that's budgeted, allocated and expected - so I don't see it as time off, I see it as time wasted.

The contract you sign should protect you from all misadventure - and if it doesn't then THAT'S where you should be negotiating - the deposit protects the photographer.
BMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 11:23 PM   #35
Deftone2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC View Post

What does the wedding photographer do with their time for the 3 months a year that they can't shoot weddings? Not many businesses I'm aware of that only expect to work 9 months a year for a decent return.
They work.. on the business.. in making improvements.. marketing.. rebranding.. workshops.. conventions.. or catchup on backlog (you still have to deliver the last weddings you shoot before the break within your turn around time)... its never ending.

Or work on other areas of photography.. or new additions to the overall business (it might be supply of products that assist with wedding photography.. or other wedding related products)..

I'm sure if it was 52 weeks of 52 weeks it would be the same costs (infact.. the top guys that do destinations and many weddings overseas do work a higher amount of weeks per year.. and their costs are the same).

You could go further to discuss with (on average) how much time is spent with each client.. the time varies but it would be in the vicinity of 25/30-40 hours. Depending on work flow.. what package they want.. and all of the above.

Besides.. if you decide to take time off.. you have earned it.

Last edited by Deftone2k; 28th February 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 28th February 2012, 11:59 PM   #36
methd

My studio did over 110 weddings last year. About a dozen of those were overseas gigs which always takes about 4-5 days with no time to edit or do any other work (for no extra income). This amount of work gets you run off your feet and it's never ending. Winter is a time to catch up but we still do one a weekend.

i don't complain about the income.. but it's far from an easy job
methd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 2:03 AM   #37
C.Michael
Iron Photographer

Recently second shot a wedding with a GREAT photographer here in Adelaide. He had to do two weddings in one day, the first I watched, the second I shot.

People think that shooting a wedding is easy. You get one shot at it, you have to be in the right place, at the right time, with the right settings to get the shot.

It's not point and shoot. After working from 10-10 with the photographer, they are entitled to every penny they charge.

It's a simple thing really. Some people like spending money on cars, some on photography and some on other hobbies. On your wedding day it's much the same, some people splurge on a dress, a venue, a car....some people, god forbid pay good money for memories that will last a life time. You can't put a venue, or a car in your lounge room to look at every day, but you can put a photo.

When I get married, I will pay good money to have those memories recorded.

Quit yo jibber jabber bitches.
Old 1st March 2012, 12:36 PM   #38
Nafe

Quote:

I know Gav Cato is pretty much booked every weekend of the year, plus some weekdays now. During the week he's editing, getting prints done, books done, meeting with couples, trash the dress shoots etc. When he can't make a wedding, he has other shooters to help him out - that's when he is booked for multiple weddings on the same weekend, or if he's on holidays etc. The good wedding photographers are shooting all year long. Rain Hail or Shine.
Nafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 8:46 AM   #39
SSJX Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafe View Post
I know Gav Cato is pretty much booked every weekend of the year, plus some weekdays now. During the week he's editing, getting prints done, books done, meeting with couples, trash the dress shoots etc. When he can't make a wedding, he has other shooters to help him out - that's when he is booked for multiple weddings on the same weekend, or if he's on holidays etc. The good wedding photographers are shooting all year long. Rain Hail or Shine.
Yeah, I've heard good things about Gavin. Is he a member of OCAU as well?

Add your PSN ID to OCAU's Wiki

Sony Vaio Club Member #2
SSJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 11:03 AM   #40
a777

Quote:
Yes, he is
Old 3rd March 2012, 12:39 PM   #41
WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafe View Post
This makes more sense than the "wedding photogs can only make money during part of the year therefore they have to charge accordingly" argument I see bandied around various places.

If you can't shoot weddings go shoot something else until you can.

Also photographers aren't on their pat malone having to chase up clients, balance their books etc. Every business owner faces the same issues irrespective of industry.
WRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 12:41 PM   #42
dandanmien
(Banned or Deleted)

Business = cashflow.
Retainers = cashflow.

It is simple as that.

Being a full-time wedding photographer is a lifestyle choice.
dandanmien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 10:04 PM   #43
Nafe

Quote:
I'd use Gav if I ever found someone stupid enough to marry me
I recommend him even though he uses my services as second shooter on occasion
Nafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 1:11 AM   #44
Deftone2k

Quote:
This makes more sense than the "wedding photogs can only make money during part of the year therefore they have to charge accordingly" argument I see bandied around various places.

If you can't shoot weddings go shoot something else until you can.

Also photographers aren't on their pat malone having to chase up clients, balance their books etc. Every business owner faces the same issues irrespective of industry.
You seem pretty hell bent on specifics.. when it does not matter.. as dandan said above.. its all cashflow. It doesnt mean they arent doing other work, jobs or things to bring in the cash it just seems that too many dont see the time/effort that goes into it.. thats not just the wedding day. And if you are talking about weddings then you are going to talk about things specific to weddings... like seasons/general booking periods/days etc

Last edited by Deftone2k; 4th March 2012 at 1:13 AM.
Old 4th March 2012, 1:35 AM   #45
Zee

Quote:

This pretty much happens to me for my (non photography) business.

In time, you gain an idea as to when is busy and when is not. You either use that time to go on holiday, do some training, or perhaps branch out into another area of the business (photography lessons? Studio work?) - or maybe even do something else on the side.

Z...