Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding > Modding Worklogs

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 30th March 2012, 9:49 PM   #16
Galahad256

haha yeah been having soo many problems getting something big enough and good enough to... May have to talk to a cabinet maker mate of mine see if he can knock something up

Thanks bro
Galahad256 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 30th March 2012, 10:23 PM   #17
Saate Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs View Post
thread is lacking copper pipes... :upset::upset:
Don't get me started on copper pipes, that's a whole story for another day :p Having all sorts of trouble sourcing EN 1057 (european standard) 12mm OD pipe, I think I'll end up having to pay a fortune to get some sent from overseas :(

...and because you asked, heres a shot of the 12.7mm aussie stuff I've got at the moment:

Saate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 11:03 PM   #18
Moptimus
(Taking a Break)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saate View Post
Don't get me started on copper pipes, that's a whole story for another day Having all sorts of trouble sourcing EN 1057 (european standard) 12mm OD pipe, I think I'll end up having to pay a fortune to get some sent from overseas

...and because you asked, heres a shot of the 12.7mm aussie stuff I've got at the moment:
What is the difference, aside from .7 mm
Moptimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 11:09 PM   #19
Saate Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moptimus View Post
What is the difference, aside from .7 mm
The 12.7mm pipe won't fit the bitspower sli fittings that ive got to do the copper hardline loop with. A little frustrating but I'll source the right stuff sooner or later, it won't block the build.
Old 30th March 2012, 11:25 PM   #20
Moarkill

so you are set on using the copper? Should look rad mate ! Are you going to coat them or sleave them or leave the bare copper? Will it clash with the color of any components ?

Also noob question. Will you put any silver in the loop? And is there anything you CAN NOT include in the loop they may react with copper ?
Old 31st March 2012, 12:03 AM   #21
MrCupHolder

Saate

Reading your thread reminds me. I have a custom built desk too. Love this thing but I did make a small error in my design but I"ll live with it.

I'll see if I can add a picture up of it.

You're build looks like it should finish up nicely.

Project: Plain Jane - Lian Li PC-A77F x2
MrCupHolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 12:06 AM   #22
Saate Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moarkill View Post
so you are set on using the copper? Should look rad mate ! Are you going to coat them or sleave them or leave the bare copper? Will it clash with the color of any components ?

Also noob question. Will you put any silver in the loop? And is there anything you CAN NOT include in the loop they may react with copper ?
Definitely set on using the copper, this build is as much as creating a piece of art as it is performance - more actually, given the time I'm sinking into sleeving and design :)

I'll either give the copper a clear coat to help keep it shiny or nickel plate it, will depend on what I do with the rest of the case. I've taken a lot of inspiration from Project White leading up to this build and luckily Alain has been swapping emails with me to talk about my plans.

As far as stuff to avoid on the loop the big thing is galvanic corrosion, caused by having different types of metals in the loop. An example of what can happen - http://www.overclock.net/t/951340/wh...horror-history

Also I'm just as much of a noob as you are here :p fortunately with all the good advice and posts and worklogs around anything is doable if you're prepared to put in the time to read up :)
Old 31st March 2012, 12:23 AM   #23
Ezekill

Quote:
The 12.7mm pipe won't fit the bitspower sli fittings that ive got to do the copper hardline loop with. A little frustrating but I'll source the right stuff sooner or later, it won't block the build.
Can you not just neck the ends down (or have them turned if they're only short lengths) where they need to mate the fittings?
Old 31st March 2012, 11:23 AM   #24
Moptimus
(Taking a Break)

Yeah, I'd suggest having the ends turned down, should be easy enough (on a scale of the works you are already attempting.)

Also galvanic corrosion shouldn't be to much of an issue, use a sealant on the pipe to keep the colour, and run with cu blocks as well. Hell, if you are keen enough, you can get full cu rads. That would just leave you with plated fittings + solder to account for.

Or just run with whatever fittings/rad/blocks and use something like Liquid Utopia or some other anti-corrosion agent.

Running silver and nickel without anti-corrosion agents, is not a good idea.
Old 31st March 2012, 12:35 PM   #25
Saate Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezekill View Post
Can you not just neck the ends down (or have them turned if they're only short lengths) where they need to mate the fittings?
Quote:
Yeah, I'd suggest having the ends turned down, should be easy enough (on a scale of the works you are already attempting.)
Yeah I've considered that, only issue is the 0.7mm brings the wall width down a fair bit considering the varieties of 12.7mm stuff we get here is 0.7-1.00mm wall thickness. I thought I was in luck when I discovered that Crane Copper make the EN 1057 european stuff here, spoke to someone at Tradelink who after many calls was at the stage of placing the order. Fortunately I'd read up on it a lot at the time and when he said "its 0.7mm wall thickness" (the 12mm OD is 0.6mm thickness) I realised he was about to order a 6m length of the 15mm stuff!

He went away and spoke to them again - came back and told me unless I want to buy a tonne of it they only make that stuff for export. Damnit! Having a think about what contacts I have that might be able to help me out on that but stuck at the moment. Also emailed a UK vendor about international shipment but they got back to me and arent able to cut/ship the length.

Quote:
Also galvanic corrosion shouldn't be to much of an issue, use a sealant on the pipe to keep the colour, and run with cu blocks as well. Hell, if you are keen enough, you can get full cu rads. That would just leave you with plated fittings + solder to account for.

Or just run with whatever fittings/rad/blocks and use something like Liquid Utopia or some other anti-corrosion agent.

Running silver and nickel without anti-corrosion agents, is not a good idea.
Yeah not too concerned about corrosion, I'll take due care and use some kind of anti corrosion additive. I'll think about it and research in more detail when I get to that stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCupHolder View Post
Reading your thread reminds me. I have a custom built desk too. Love this thing but I did make a small error in my design but I"ll live with it.

I'll see if I can add a picture up of it.

You're build looks like it should finish up nicely.
Thanks, and yeah would be cool to see your desk - did you go for a similar size and flat surface? Trying to figure out what the error could be colour?
Old 31st March 2012, 1:18 PM   #26
Moptimus
(Taking a Break)

Either turn out the fittings by .7 mm or look at using some non watercooling specific G1/4 fittings, that are speccd to suit the 1/2 cu pipe?
Old 31st March 2012, 1:24 PM   #27
BlueRaven

Ambitious project, subbed.

Nice job on the sleeving so far. Dunno about the triple colour scheme but hey, it's your build.

Are you going to be doing the pipe-bending yourself, or outsourcing it?

Also interested to see how you'll be mating the pipe to the fittings, something I've not really got my head around even after looking at several other hard-piped builds. I presume a flare and some kind of o-ring seal would be required for compression fittings? (I know nothing about this kind of metalwork/plumbing)

Proper mod, looking forward to moar pix.

You can never explain a good pun to a kleptomaniac... he always takes things literally.

Last edited by BlueRaven; 31st March 2012 at 1:27 PM.
BlueRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 1:45 PM   #28
MrCupHolder

Just a suggestion.

Do you have any mates who are plumbers?
They may have the contacts to get the copper you need.
Also they may be able to help with the bending of it.

Project: Plain Jane - Lian Li PC-A77F x2
MrCupHolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 1:47 PM   #29
BigDave

Cool

Quote:
I'll either give the copper a clear coat to help keep it shiny or nickel plate it, will depend on what I do with the rest of the case.

Is stainless tube an option? is it available in your size requirement?
Old 31st March 2012, 3:01 PM   #30
Saate Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
Ambitious project, subbed. :thumbup:

Nice job on the sleeving so far. Dunno about the triple colour scheme but hey, it's your build. :)

Are you going to be doing the pipe-bending yourself, or outsourcing it?

Also interested to see how you'll be mating the pipe to the fittings, something I've not really got my head around even after looking at several other hard-piped builds. I presume a flare and some kind of o-ring seal would be required for compression fittings? (I know nothing about this kind of metalwork/plumbing)

Proper mod, looking forward to moar pix. :leet:
Thanks :) I guess black and white arent really colours so the real unifying 'theme' colour is the red sleeving. I've done a few test fits with the motherboard/case/24-pin just to get measurements and it looks pretty nice :) What I really need to figure out is if I want to paint the case or just midplate+mobo plate. Will have to do some thinking on that!

The 12mm copper pipe fits perfectly into the Bitspower C-47 SLI fittings (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10...P-WTP-C47.html) which are basically just a double o-ring. Some people have concerns with this method and have expressed it in other threads but the guys who've done similar builds and given me advice (Alain and EvoCarlos) havent had problems. I think the main design consideration around this method is that the loop routing should reinforce the fit - eg don't have a 180 degree bend that might (though I doubtit anyway!) potentially be susceptible to being forced out of the fitting over a long period of time.

Absolutely doing the bending myself - what fun would it be without losing my temper a million times trying to get it right and learning in the process? :p :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCupHolder View Post
Just a suggestion.

Do you have any mates who are plumbers?
They may have the contacts to get the copper you need.
Also they may be able to help with the bending of it.
Yeah I know a few people - its actually a weird paradox that they're the worst kind of people to ask questions! :p Speaking to a few plumbing places on the phone and two mates they actually seem to have no idea the 12mm/european standard even exists. To make it more difficult if you ask "can you get 12mm OD copper" they'll say yes! Since there aren't other 12.x varieties of copper the industry refers to 12.7mm as 12mm. As soon as you say 'No, I actually need the EN 1057 european standard true 12mm OD stuff' they're scratching heads in confusion :)

A refrigeration teacher I know also was unaware of the 12mm stuff but suggested a whole lot of alternatives to doing it. Unfortunately those methods generally don't lead to 'pretty' finished products - I've seen some of the awesome fridge compressor cooling worklogs some guys have done but yeah, wont be acceptable option for this job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
Is stainless tube an option? is it available in your size requirement?
That's a good question, my uncle does a fair bit of metalwork and when I was talking to him he suggested non cu tubing options. I just don't know how well it'd bend and would have to think about any longterm (corrosion/etc)implications. Definitely an option though!

I'll take some shots of the fittings this afternoon or tomorrow, have a 2000 word paper due monday though so will see how I go. Couple of shots of my bender for you guys in the mean time:

Last edited by Saate; 1st April 2012 at 8:31 PM.