Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Game Consoles > Sony Consoles

Notices

Search our forums with Google:
Closed Thread

Old 29th March 2012, 9:49 AM   #1
supasaiyan Thread Starter

Default Rumours Surface on new PS4 called "Orbis"

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/03/the...e-the-details/

Quote:
While the official reveal of Sony’s next home console could still be months away, if not longer, Kotaku has today learned some important details concerning the PlayStation 3′s successor.

For one, the console’s name — or at least its codename/working title — is apparently Orbis. And it’s being planned for release in time for the 2013 holiday season.
we’ve heard from multiple sources that the Orbis will likewise have some kind of anti-used games measures built into the console. Here’s how our main source says it’s currently shaping up: new games for the system will be available one of two ways, either on a Blu-Ray disc or as a PSN download (yes, even full retail titles). If you buy the disc, it must be locked to a single PSN account, after which you can play the game, save the whole thing to your HDD, or peg it as “downloaded” in your account history and be free to download it at a later date.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 29th March 2012, 9:53 AM   #2
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

To be honest I actually don't mind the name Orbis. It could be worse.
abbott on the NBN: "We're not against using the internet, errr, for all these things, ah but do we really want to invest $50billion dollars of hard earned tax payers money on what is essentially a video entertainment system."
| Co2 is weightless apparently
Old 29th March 2012, 10:44 AM   #3
BFM666

im curious if we'll see some form of protest from retailers (eb, etc) refusing to carry it. cause lets face it, b&m game stores make a bucket load more cash off of preowned games than they do new
PC: i7 960, ASUS Rampage III Gene, EVGA GTX 670, 6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1600C7, Silverstone Strider ST750-P PSU, Silverstone FT03-B, Thermalright Macho HR-02, OCZ Agility 3 60GB, 2x Seagate 500GB, Dell U2311H
Old 29th March 2012, 10:54 AM   #4
PsychoSmiley

On the plus side at lease the architecture is going to be roughly uniform across the board at this rate. If they are all using x86 and some flavour of AMD card there should be less issue between platforms unlike the PS3 currently which can be brilliant when the effort is put into the coding.

It seems they are going for Steam like system for games which I would say isn't a bad thing. I say Steam like because it's the closest real world comparison. I'm not against this format because I'm the kind of person who doesn't sell games, however I do buy second hand games here so it would it affect me in that respect. Ideally if/when we arrive at the point of the new system, I would hope we would get locally hosted content as I would expect the size of games to continue to expand.
Old 29th March 2012, 11:11 AM   #5

i've seen some blu-ray games that are over 50gb, my internet plan is only 80gb per month!!
Old 29th March 2012, 11:15 AM   #6
thecondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasaiyan View Post
i've seen some blu-ray games that are over 50gb, my internet plan is only 80gb per month!!
Really what game would that be? from my understanding the largest ps3 game rocks in at around 42gb.

Edit: Yah I was correct Killzone 3 is the largest coming in at 41.5gb.
Old 29th March 2012, 11:23 AM   #7
toopy28

HE NEXT PLAYSTATION, AT A GLANCE

■Is called, or at least carries the working codename, “Orbis”.
■Is scheduled for a Holiday 2013 release.
■Won’t be backwards compatible with PS3 games.
■Will lock new games to a PSN account as an anti-used games measure.
■New games can be bought either on Blu-Ray or downloaded.
■Current specs are an AMD x64 CPU and AMD Southern Islands GPU

what a piece of shit, no backwards compatibility, no used games, amd cpu and gpu.
Definatley will be giving this a miss and wont reccommend it to anyone, probably wont be able to play non DRM content either so would be useless as a media centre even
Old 29th March 2012, 11:42 AM   #8
2SHY

What is this amount of hate for games locked into one account?
Steam and Origin have done it, i just don't get the hate for this part. I can see how locking users from buying used might be a problem but that only has been problem due to the price of our games at launch.

PS3 and xbox 360 have varying levels of backwards compatibility, with consoles so cheap now days most people can get their hands on an old console.
Old 29th March 2012, 11:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecondor View Post
Really what game would that be? from my understanding the largest ps3 game rocks in at around 42gb.

Edit: Yah I was correct Killzone 3 is the largest coming in at 41.5gb.
i could have sworn GT was over 50gb, yep appears i misread it
Old 29th March 2012, 11:44 AM   #10
.Radiant

Swapping from the Cell to an x64 isn't surprising given the difficulty they had with ports early on and even now. Using an AMD chip for graphics isn't surprising either, as far as I can tell nvidia are focusing more on the tablet/phone side of things (tegra). Who else are they going to use? intel? The Wii (u) and the 360 use amd/ati as well.

The whole DRM thing sounds very enticing for publishers/developers, so if it does go through hopefully we'll see a large game library to support it. I think it's where publishers are shifting now given the amount of exclusives on the ps3 recently.

Steam | PSN: Cermage
Old 29th March 2012, 11:49 AM   #11
arytel

Quote:
Originally Posted by toopy28 View Post

what a piece of shit, no backwards compatibility, no used games, amd cpu and gpu.
Definatley will be giving this a miss and wont reccommend it to anyone, probably wont be able to play non DRM content either so would be useless as a media centre even
Wow. Looks like they are using Nintendo's business model of stupidity.
Old 29th March 2012, 11:52 AM   #12
ddk
(Banned or Deleted)

What I'll never understand about the mentality behind restrictive DRM systems like the one proposed here, is that these big, billion-dollar companies never actually run real-world research on the impacts of them.

The second-hand gaming market supports them more than they seem to understand or are willing to realise. They look at their little spreadsheets and say, "We lost X amount of money because people traded and bought games second-hand!" And yet that's a completely farcical set of statistics because it doesn't take real-world factors into account.

The fact is that without the second-hand gaming market, consoles will see a DECLINE in popularity and therefore sales. And yet the old-guard continue to cling to these old-world solutions to new-world problems. Forcing a square peg into a round whole has never worked and won't work this time, or the next time either.
Old 29th March 2012, 11:57 AM   #13
DavidRa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SHY View Post
I can see how locking users from buying used might be a problem but that only has been problem due to the price of our games at launch.
Hate is high for lots of reasons.
  • Today I can go borrow a friend's game while he isn't playing it
  • Today I can hire a game from Video Sleazy or Flockstuffer
  • Today I can buy a second hand copy for half the price
  • Today I can sell a full priced game I've finished to fund the next game
  • Today I can sell my console and games collection
  • Today I can share a game with my son, daughter, wife, husband, father, mother etc (one copy, one in use)
  • Today Sony comply with the First Sale doctrine (whereby I buy it, it's mine) - well not completely but mostly
I may have missed some but it's a start.

You really think game prices are going to drop if there's no second hand market!? I think reality won't be quite this bad - because I think there are enough big players to cry foul that Sony will have to give up a little. But it's getting to the ridiculous stage very quickly.
Old 29th March 2012, 12:01 PM   #14
Guardian452

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SHY View Post
What is this amount of hate for games locked into one account?
Steam and Origin have done it, i just don't get the hate for this part. I can see how locking users from buying used might be a problem but that only has been problem due to the price of our games at launch.
As you point out, if games are priced accordingly, ie new releases @ AU$50-60, back catalogue stuff @ ~AU$20, I'm pretty cool with that.

However if the Australia tax continues and we are being slugged ~AU$100 for a new release, then tohellwiththatshit.

FWIW, I have a largish Steam account, but I only buy when the price is right (not one of my games have been bought at full AU$ tote).
Old 29th March 2012, 12:01 PM   #15
proffesso

Quote:
Originally Posted by toopy28 View Post

hang on, so your not going to recommend something, based purely on specs alone? not the games?

and how is it a bad point that games can either be downloaded or bought on physical media? what would you rather? magical pixie dust?

amd cpu - who knows, but who cares? do you have any idea whatsoever as to what the current ps3 cpu is/does?

sure, I would like a 16 core 5ghz intel, and quad sli kepler gpu's....however im not willing to pay $5000 and have the size and power requirements of a small fridge.

feel free to post your own ideas of what a next gen console would be btw, would love to hear it