Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 31st March 2012, 11:03 PM   #1
RSDXzec Thread Starter

Default Weird buzzing noise when speakers plugged into pc?

For some reason today my pc speakers started making an odd buzzing noise. It's been irritating me all day, the weird thing is that it only makes that noise when it's plugged into my pc. I tried plugging the speaker into my mp3 player and it played perfectly. So I'm guessing there's a quick fix for this, anyone have any idea why my speakers make an odd noise only when plugged into my computer?

fyi I connected my earphones directly to the computer and they sounded fine, so it's something about the speaker mobo combination that isn't working here...

Cheers.
My competition sound system updates https://www.facebook.com/TeamGreenSPL
RSDXzec is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 1st April 2012, 1:24 AM   #2
ipex

have you got a mic ?
Old 1st April 2012, 2:39 AM   #3
RSDXzec Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipex View Post
have you got a mic ?
nope

10char
Old 1st April 2012, 3:13 AM   #4
Dr Evil

Sounds like something is interfering. Generally when I hear a soft buzz or humming sound its either because I've got the volume up way to loud & the OS sound low.

Possible electrical interference? Anything in the way? Have you tried plugging the speakers in a different computer?

The quick fix for me is to also turn off the PC for a minute then power it back up. The noise should be gone, might pop up after a while but this is my only quick fix, otherwise just re-plug everything back in.
Originally Posted by Akh-Horus View Post
I forgot the bogan stamp, the Southern Cross tattooed on the inner forearm!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foos View Post
won't the electric handbrake annoy the bogans?
Dr Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 5:36 AM   #5
Linkin

Are you using an external amplifier? You will need one of these, if you are:

http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp...p&form=KEYWORD
Hodor won't die. He wins and ends up on the throne, giving birth to the tradition of dimwits being in the position of power!
Linkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 7:09 AM   #6
mareke

I had a similar problem once. I fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for my soundcard.
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 12:22 PM   #7
RSDXzec Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
Sounds like something is interfering. Generally when I hear a soft buzz or humming sound its either because I've got the volume up way to loud & the OS sound low.

Possible electrical interference? Anything in the way? Have you tried plugging the speakers in a different computer?

The quick fix for me is to also turn off the PC for a minute then power it back up. The noise should be gone, might pop up after a while but this is my only quick fix, otherwise just re-plug everything back in.
yep, just tried it on another computer and it works fine. This morning it still makes the same noise and it's been off for about 10 hours in between. And no the volume isn't way up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkin View Post
Are you using an external amplifier? You will need one of these, if you are:

http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp...p&form=KEYWORD
no i'm not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareke View Post
I had a similar problem once. I fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for my soundcard.
if it's the drivers I'm assuming it would affect all speakers plugged into the computer... but I tried plugging my earphones directly into the computer and I didn't get the same noise.
Old 1st April 2012, 12:46 PM   #8
mareke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSDXzec View Post
if it's the drivers I'm assuming it would affect all speakers plugged into the computer... but I tried plugging my earphones directly into the computer and I didn't get the same noise.
I didn't get the buzzing on my headphones either only on my speakers. Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and removing the software that came with the soundcard and only installing the drivers fixed it. That was a long time ago and it might not fix your issue. I still use the same computer, soundcard and speakers by the way and the problem has never reoccurred. At the time the problem frustrated me enough to post on the soundcard maker's forum (Creative) to try and find a solution
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:40 PM   #9
RSDXzec Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareke View Post
I didn't get the buzzing on my headphones either only on my speakers. Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and removing the software that came with the soundcard and only installing the drivers fixed it. That was a long time ago and it might not fix your issue. I still use the same computer, soundcard and speakers by the way and the problem has never reoccurred. At the time the problem frustrated me enough to post on the soundcard maker's forum (Creative) to try and find a solution
ok well here's the weird thing... when I put my hand close to the speaker (within 2cm) the buzzing gets louder, with or without earphones plugged into the speakers. Did this happen to you as well?

Seems like some odd interference going on...

Cheers.
Old 5th April 2012, 4:26 PM   #10
RSDXzec Thread Starter

ok well even without the audio drivers installed on the pc it still makes the buzzing noise... athough obviously my computer isn't outputting an audio signal.
Old 6th April 2012, 10:45 AM   #11
RSDXzec Thread Starter

so no more ideas?

this buzzing is driving me insane
Old 7th April 2012, 12:43 PM   #12
RSDXzec Thread Starter

plugged in other speakers and still making the same buzzing noise out of them.
So the pc is definitely the source, and reinstalling the drivers unfortunately didn't change anything.
Old 7th April 2012, 12:47 PM   #13
Riverback

Are you plugging it on the front port or the back?
Riverback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 12:50 PM   #14
mtma

I reckon it's a ground loop, do the speakers have the double insulated mark on them?

If they do then a ground loop is less likely, if they don't then a ground loop is quite possible.

If you suspect a ground loop, then one possible test is to get one of these awful travel adapters and plug in the power socket upside down, such that the earth pin does not connect. If the buzzing persists then it's probably not the issue. If it doesn't, then you need the Jaycar adapter. The aforementioned thing with the adapter ISN'T a solution btw, only for diagnosis because it's not safe at all.
mtma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 2:45 PM   #15
RSDXzec Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverback View Post
Are you plugging it on the front port or the back?
in the back, right into the mobo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtma View Post
I reckon it's a ground loop, do the speakers have the double insulated mark on them?

If they do then a ground loop is less likely, if they don't then a ground loop is quite possible.

If you suspect a ground loop, then one possible test is to get one of these awful travel adapters and plug in the power socket upside down, such that the earth pin does not connect. If the buzzing persists then it's probably not the issue. If it doesn't, then you need the Jaycar adapter. The aforementioned thing with the adapter ISN'T a solution btw, only for diagnosis because it's not safe at all.
yep, it has that sign on the back... learn something new everyday lol.
It's definitely not the speakers as I have tried different speakers, I suspect the noise is from the computer somehow. As I tried the speakers in other computers and they sounded fine.