Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Geek Food

Notices

Old 8th April 2012, 1:38 AM   #1
ddk Thread Starter
(Banned or Deleted)

Default Your favourite ALDI buys

My previous, "I HATE ALDI!" thread inspired me through people responding with what their favourite ALDI purchases are and why they consider them to be so good. I figured this deserved a thread of its own so that it can eventually be stickied and I can bask in the radiant adulation of my fellow ALDI-ITES.

I'll start the ball rolling with a few of my favourites:

Expressi
I couldn't start this list off without first giving homage to my all-time most favourite, bestest, most awesomest purchase ever: my Expressi. I'm so enamoured of this thing that I'm going to buy a second one SOLELY on the basis that should my original break down, I don't want to have even a day's gap between being able to replace it.

Blackstone Deli-style Potato Chips
Better tasting than Kettle chips, IMO and $2.69 for a 200g packet as opposed to $4~ for the 185g Kettles.

Hommus
Not quite as good as Chris' dips, but close enough that I don't care and also significantly cheaper. That and it seems that Coles and Safeway don't stock Chris' dips anymore (have they gone out of business) and Black Swan dips are shit.

Chocolate Rabbit
$0.79 125g chocolate bunnies. 'nuff said.

Garlic Bread
I microwave my garlic bread. So much nicer than when it's all dried out in the oven. But only the ALDI two-pack seems to ever work right. All other garlic breads end up tasting horrid when microwaved.

Lasagne
The large (2.1kg?) lasagne for $10 is freaking awesome. Not only does it taste delicious, but at $10 it's like four large meals, or six if you have a side with it. Just awesome.

Dim Sims
Steamed in the microwave and at only $3~ for a big pack of them, they're delicious as a quick snack.

Brooklea Favourites
Six-pack of mixed flavour lite yoghurts that are also quite cheap even when compared to the larger servings.
ddk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 1:51 AM   #2
ck_psy

interesting thread
i dont usually buy anything from aldi besides their special buys (bought $100 plus of cycling gear last year).

the reason for that is because i dont know whats good or not.
now i do.

ck_psy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 2:03 AM   #3
Franc

Dishwasher. Needed one (our old one was stuffed) bought it home realised it wouldnt fit as it was freestanding, took off the top, put the old dishwasters top in and its been good ever since.

For under $300 its suprisingly better than our previous dishwashers by quite a way, nice suprise (we were just going to put it in till we buy an asko, but not nessecary anymore I guess)
Old 8th April 2012, 5:50 AM   #4
enzo_450

250g Imperial Grain Brown Rice (90sec sachet)

185g Portview Tuna chunks in springwater/brine

Easy to take to uni - two minutes and add a bit of hot sauce = main meal for $3.
Old 8th April 2012, 6:12 AM   #5
Reaper

Snakos - Chicken flavoured. Yum.

"Jelly belly" rip offs - Yum.

The munchers peanut version - Extra yum and lower cost than peanut m&m's. The plain chocolate ones tend to go south a bit quick with me for some strange reason, but I have no problems with the peanut ones. Weird.

The mix of rice crackers in the blue packs. Yum.

Basically any of the chocolate slabs you can't go wrong with.

The pringles styled chips. Yummy and a much better price.

Dippits - Yummy.

+1 on their deli chips. Also the corn chips are great too.

Packs of cashew nuts. Yum.

Also hommus may be the one I'm thinking of, there is a very nice dip that goes well with the chives pringles styled chips they have. Just can't remember which one it is.

Basically, unless you're after allens snakes, forget about going down the chips/lollies aisles in coles/woollies and go to Aldi instead.
_____|__||__|_____ ---||---------||---
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 1:02 PM   #6
Anteros

The Munchers peanut style gets a vote from my too.

I love one of the packs of cookies you can get there, chocolate and hazelnut, i can't remember atm but i will check when I head there later, It's like havng a ferrero rocher made into a cookie and they're pretty cheap.

Their little red cans of energy drink, remind me of the old lift plus, and only $1 a can.

Mega choc milk is also awesome, there are a few more thinks I know i get a lot but right now, I really can't remember what they are, the smell of pork coming in from outside is just a little too distracting
ignore anything coolermaster says!
Anteros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 2:12 PM   #7
ddk Thread Starter
(Banned or Deleted)

Yeah, the choc and iced coffee milks are great for the price. Also agree on the Munchers peanuts.

But the pringles style chips have never worked for me. I felt they were very bland. Although, having said that, ALDI changes things so often and I think there are actually two Pringles-style chips so I might've had the crappy one.

So much damn junk food

I like their fresh asparagus and fresh brussel sprouts too. The asparagus is good to pair with their fresh salmon. A bit of lime and pepper and salt and a (tiny) bit of butter for cooking, crisp up the skin and quickly fry up the asparagus before serving. Yum.
ddk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 12:49 AM   #8
PaPaGeorGeo

Has anyone picked up a meat mincer from Aldi? I was tempted they were round $100 a few months back
PaPaGeorGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 1:42 AM   #9
pentel88

Just Organic brand organic yoghurt. I bought it after seeing a dairy show award printed on the pack. Best yoghurt I have ever tasted, makes the regular stuff they pass off as yoghurt taste like sugar-water + thickener

San Benedetto brand mineral water. Italian mineral water < $1/L

Tried their canned salmon last week. It actually looks like it used to be a fish, skin and bone included. Nothing added except salt, and has product of the usa printed on the can. Only tried the pink salmon so far, I can only assume the red species will be even better.
pentel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 7:26 AM   #10
Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentel88 View Post
Just Organic brand organic yoghurt. I bought it after seeing a dairy show award printed on the pack. Best yoghurt I have ever tasted, makes the regular stuff they pass off as yoghurt taste like sugar-water + thickener
This +1,000,000. This stuff is without a doubt the best yogurt i've ever had.

Their tabouleh salad is good.

Also their pesto is quite good. Basil ftw.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 6:36 PM   #11
RavenKittie

Mmmmm good idea for a thread

1) Chocolate Mousse. I'm not a desserts person but these are golden. The only bad thing... well don't look at the fat content... they are a once a month treat

2) Danish Feta Cheese - This stuff is great and a lot cheaper than what I used to pay in Woolies.

3) Potato Gratin from the deep freeze. Get a pack of steamed veges, some of these and a steak (the rib eye from my Aldi is delicious) and it makes for an easy dinner.

4) Turkish Bread 3 Pack. Combine with Aldi Hommus for ultimate yum.

5) Laundry Detergent / Softener ... I was getting ripped off before.

6) Cat Food. My cat loves the Sylvester brand fish pack and meat pack (in 12 satchets). I also fed him some of the dog food and he seemed to like that too.

7) Portview Tuna in Spring water ... good stuff and cheap

8) Cookies and Cream Ice Cream for $4.99 (looks the same as Connoisseur brand but couple of bucks less and tastes just as good)

9) Spinach and Feta Dip. Oooooh yeah.

10) Grated Mozarella and Tasty Cheese - So much cheaper and tastes the same. I am eye-ing off the cheese platter but haven't had a reason to buy it yet but it's on my hit list next time I have something on.

The only thing that shits me about Aldi is that they recently cut staff at my local and instead of 5 minutes to get served you can be waiting up to 15. They have room for 4 or 5 cashiers but only 2 on now, used to be 3 on during Sat / Sun peak periods.

I don't care.... I will still shop there as I save a bunch of $$$ and get decent quality stuff. For what I can't get there I go to Thomas Dux and Woolies so it's a win win.
RavenKittie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 7:00 PM   #12
dr1fta

expressi machine and also the 79c easter bunnies.

so.much.win
dr1fta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 10:01 PM   #13
Bluplet

Bratwust - Thought they were as close as it got to what Bratwust is like in Germany, quite pleased to find it!
Bluplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 10:32 PM   #14
csbalkwill

Haribo gummy bears.
csbalkwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 11:07 PM   #15
Phosphor94

It might just be me... but all the snack food and the frozen meals, both sweet and savoury are rather good... But once you buy the separate ingredients and make a meal solely from ALDI... It ends up rather mediocre...
Phosphor94 is offline   Reply With Quote