Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 8th May 2012, 6:26 PM   #1
Praneetn7 Thread Starter

Smile Mini Desktop CNC Machine Build!

A bit about myself, I am 16 years old and for my senior project for high school, I plan on building a small CNC router.

The CNC router will be used for; PCB's, wood work, plastics and (hopefully) Aluminium.

The main base frame is made from 40x40 and 40x80 extrusion and the Z axis is made of 12mm aluminium. The side plate are made from 12mm steel plate.

The linear rails that are going to be used are the 16mm supported rail type that you can get from ebay.

The proposed working area is 300x200mm with 110mm z.

So here is the initial design:

Every week I get three 70 min class lessons to work on this.

So here are some build pictures!

I first stared out buy cutting out the side plates. I had originally planned to get them CNC cut but the cost was just outrageous! So I decided to go the hard way and plasma cut them.

So here is the cut piece.

The cut wasn't very pretty and a lot of milling/grinding will need to be done for a nice finish. But hey, it was my first time using a plasma cutter and it is a learning experience so I'm happy with that.

So after both pieces were cut, I spot welded them together ready to be clamped onto the mill.

So I got it clamped and started to mill. (Yes I know that it isn't the greatest way to clamp it but that's all we had at the time )

So after a few passes this is what we got. (Ooooohh, SHNINY )

It seems the cutter is a little out of alignment, but this isnt a very vital edge so it'll be fine.

So here are the pieces after milling. You can see that there are still pit marks and stuff from my shoddy plasma cutting but that's all i could do without milling off the whole piece! It is starting to get surface rust already so I better put some paint on it soon!

After that we realigned the cutter and went to mill the bottom edges.

Seems that there is a little bit of chatter on the mill but you can't feel it with your finger so it must be a few thousands of a mill.

So here are the completed side pieces! Just have to mark and drill them now.

So that's what I have done so far and and will probably get the drilling done tomorrow if all goes to plan.

Thanks

Praneet

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 8th May 2012, 10:25 PM   #2
deva_da_man

looks awesome

subbed.

Notebook: Polycarbonate Unibody Macbook with 64GB Corsair Force Series 3 SSD
deva_da_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Moptimus
(Taking a Break)

Good work mate, very impressive.

So jelly right now, all I made in highschool was a spice rack and a tray in wood work and an apron in home ec. Fuck me, a CNC would have been well worth the time.
Moptimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 11:27 PM   #4
partybear

I made a set of cricket stumps lol, this looks like it's going to be really sturdy I bet it turns out to be a pretty decent machine.
partybear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 7:29 PM   #5
t00|

How's this going for you dude?
Any more updates?
t00| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 5:02 PM   #6
Praneetn7 Thread Starter

Default UPDATE!

Alright, update time!

Sorry for not updating this sooner. I was very busy with school work and actually kind of forgot about the thread!

So anyway let's get back to it

The side plate were drilled some cutting oil was used to cool the bit. Also a pilot hole was drilled for a larger bit.

The larger bit (25mm) was used to make a hole for the bearings that will support the drive screws.

Now the basic frame is laid out ready to be tapped where necessary for the connectors (more on that in a bit).

The extrusion has predrilled holes that are the exact size for a M8 thread.

The connectors are used to, well connect the pieces together! An M8 button head bolt is used to tighten the pieces to form a quick, simple and strong joint.

The connector assembly slides into the slots in the extrusion and is tightened with a through hole that is drilled where required.

Now to bolt other things to the basic frame these T nuts are used. Again they slot into the extrusion and a bolt is used to fasten the other components to it.

Once all of the T nuts are in place the whole frame can be squared and tightened.

When doing this make sure all of the T nuts are in place BEFORE tightening and squaring. I had to disassemble the frame multiple time because I forgot a nut here and there!

Now that the frame is complete I had to grind the welds off the side plates so I could separate and bolt them on!

That it for now. I'll be back soon

Oh and this thread is mirrored on CNCzone.

Last edited by Praneetn7; 8th October 2012 at 5:29 PM.
Praneetn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 9:44 PM   #7
Davo1111

Looks fantastic mate. I assume this is Design and Technology?
Davo1111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 4:33 PM   #8
Praneetn7 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo1111 View Post
Looks fantastic mate. I assume this is Design and Technology?
Yep, design and technology it is :P

So after the welds were grinded and the plates were separated and test bolted to the frame.

Now the next step was to fabricate the adapter plates that would allow me to attach the linear rails to the extrusions.

Now to prevent rust the parts were primed and painted to a grey colour that is called "machinery grey" so I thought it would suit well

Now the side plates could be square and mounted for real!

Here you can see the rails are mounted to the main body of the machine.

The Z axis componets were all made using the drill press. I had made engineering drawings of each part so that I could make it quickly and accurately.

As you all know doing things by hand it is expected to have a few minor accuracy issues. These hole are supposed to line up directly with the tapped holes in the bearings but are off slightly. However this isn't a huge problem as I can just run a larger drill bit through and give the bolt some extra room

After this we were all good and it all lined up. so i countersunk them for the bolts.

As I was very short on time to complete this project I couldn't wait for the shaft collars to arrive so i made some up on the lathe!

I have never used a lathe before and again this provided a great learning opportunity

Now I had completed all of the individual components for the CNC machine it is just a matter of bolting them up!

I got a Chinese industrial spindle off ebay and mounted it. I initially was thinking of using a cheap trim router but the noise they made was way to much. This spindle is so quiet it is amazing!

So now it is basically complete! Just a few small things here and there to adjust

I got a really nice trolley from eBay to put the machine on and I think it looks pretty good!

So the completed CNC Machine:

I am really pleased with the way it has turned out and my teacher is pretty impressed too!

Praneet
Old 9th October 2012, 5:16 PM   #9
Davo1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praneetn7 View Post
Yep, design and technology it is :P

I am really pleased with the way it has turned out and my teacher is pretty impressed too!
I'm sure he/she is! This shits all over my year 12 hsc project! great job
Davo1111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 7:57 PM   #10
Praneetn7 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo1111 View Post
I'm sure he/she is! This shits all over my year 12 hsc project! great job
Hahah, thank you!

A video of it working!!! I made this to go with my project as it not only has to be marked by my teacher but also other teachers from other schools!

Enjoy

Praneet.

Last edited by Agg; 9th October 2012 at 8:37 PM.
Praneetn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 8:27 PM   #11
Moptimus
(Taking a Break)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praneetn7 View Post
Hahah, thank you!

A video of it working!!! I made this to go with my project as it not only has to be marked by my teacher but also other teachers from other schools!

movie

Enjoy

Praneet.
A solid working cnc machine for a year 12 project. And you set the video to smooth jazz. Are you 40?

Good work mate, they let you keep it I hope?
Moptimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 8:39 PM   #12
Praneetn7 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moptimus View Post
A solid working cnc machine for a year 12 project. And you set the video to smooth jazz. Are you 40?

Good work mate, they let you keep it I hope?
Thank you! Hahaha i put the video to smooth jazz as most of the teachers that will be marking it are probably over 40

Well my school was asking how much to build them one! Yes I did keep it as I put my own money into it.

Praneet.
Old 9th October 2012, 8:44 PM   #13
kombiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moptimus View Post
And you set the video to smooth jazz. Are you 40?
Nope but the teacher might be

Nothing worse than an outline video etc set to death metal lol

Outstanding job OP
Old 9th October 2012, 8:52 PM   #14
Praneetn7 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombiman View Post
Nope but the teacher might be

Nothing worse than an outline video etc set to death metal lol

Outstanding job OP
Thanks kombiman

Haha i hate those videos with ridiculously loud background music!

Praneet
Old 9th October 2012, 9:01 PM   #15
krappo

Smile

Well done and fantastic choice of music
Intel Core i5 2500K@4ghz : G.Skill Ripjaws Z F3-2400C10D-8GZH 2x4GB DDR3 : ASRock Z77 Extreme6 : OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD : 4 x Seagate Barracuda 4TB : MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB : Seasonic X-760 80Plus Gold : Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler : Samsung S27B550V 27in : CoolerMaster HAF X Case : Audioengine 5+ : Audioengine D1 Premium 24-Bit DAC : Gigabyte GHOST M8600 : SteelSeries QcK+ : Logitech G19 : Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW : Win8 X64 :
krappo is offline   Reply With Quote