OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games

Notices

Old 15th May 2012, 9:49 AM   #1
Kitler Thread Starter

Thumbs up DayZ Mod - ArmA II: CO

http://dayzmod.com/

Quote:
A 225 km2 open world post-soviet state and one of the areas hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population. You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease.

Go Solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape using whatever means you stumble upon to survive.

What is DayZ?

Quote:
Realistic "Zombies" with custom animations - These once human creatures will act and behave as if they have a heighten sense of hearing and smell but less sight, on top of that they use motion captured animations such as walking and eating from your unconscious body. If you look into any built up area you'll see them walking around waiting for their next victim which dares to venture in.

New weapons and vehicles! - Ever felt like you needed a Crossbow? Or maybe a less military like weapon? If you have then this is perfect for you as we have both of these created to high quality standards all ready for your use in this wasteland. On top of that you can even pick up the bolts fired from the Crossbow to reuse! Not only that we also have created custom vehicles which can be repaired and ridden around to show the world what you're made of!

Custom Medical System - ArmA II's magic medic feature is a thing of the past with this medical system - If you get shot, expect to bleed and to lose blood until you're bandaged up. Lost too much blood? Then expect to fall over unconscious. If you get shot in the leg then you won't be able to walk until you get morphine so you can man up. Pain is also a factor taken into consideration so without pain killers after taking an injury you'll continue to shake. This is medical at it's best!

Persistent Server - Fed up of spending so many hours working towards a goal or finding supplies and then the server crashes on you losing all your progress? Well with the DayZ server all stat's are saved to our external database so where ever you log off, whatever you have will be keep on you next time you come back in. This means you can spend however long you want doing what you want to do. As long as you don't die during the night!

Tons of new objects - We haven't just added in big things like weapons, we take pride in little details so expect to find things such as water canteens, a number of canned foods, junk and car parts (Along with more!) each of which have their own models, textures and UI imagery, once again all created to that high quality you expect in a full scale modification and we're sure you won't be disappointed with it. Nothing has been rushed.

Hunting and Survival - Eating and drinking is a core part of gameplay, you can tell if you need something by a very subtle GUI which doesn't effect the atmosphere, and if you don't fulfil those needs. You'll die. Wandering animals can killed and gutted (with the right tools) to gain access to their meat which can be eaten so you live longer but also to gain blood. For once these animals actually have a use.

Heavy Optimisation - The DayZ server has been designed to give the best play possible. Custom coding and edits have created a smooth running world which can easily have thousands of zombies spawned at once!

And Much More! - The only way to find out - is to survive!
Still in Alpha stages but this game is beyond anything I have played. Has anyone else given it a go?
Kitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 9:53 AM   #2
pher0x

Already some discussion here:
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=603239

But yes, awesome game - been waiting for something like this for years
Old 15th May 2012, 10:00 AM   #3
/\pocalypse

Probably a good thing this has its own thread since its so popular. I started playing it yesterday too with friends.

Playing at night was pretty much hopeless since its so dark. I met one other player on my journey, he saluted me and carried on without saying anything ... ? lol.

My first death came after a fall from a ladder and I havn't even made it out of the first town, too busy talking on skype with friends trying to meet up and looting everything.

Still buggy as hell but thats part of the ArmA experience
Old 15th May 2012, 10:52 AM   #4
raGneG

Keen but don't like how buggy this looks. And the zombies run in weird lines?
OCAU NIGHT OWL #9 - OCAU METAL CLUB #9 - Last.FM

Steam profile: ragneg
raGneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Psycho84

Most of the buggyness you see in Youtube vids is lag. If you get a server with a sub 200ms ping you dont see much of the lag artifacts in AI movement.

Ofcourse the BIG problem is that like everyone else, you are often forced to just play on a distant high ping server because nothing closer to home has any space haha.

It's ok though, the warping isnt that bad and it's getting better with the patches.
Psycho84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 12:24 PM   #6
ausghostdog

Mate showed me this today, I am going to get the game I need and have a look in to it.
ausghostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 2:23 PM   #7
Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by pher0x View Post
Already some discussion here:
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=603239

But yes, awesome game - been waiting for something like this for years
Should move the discussion here since it seems to be taking off?
Old 15th May 2012, 2:30 PM   #8
pher0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
Should move the discussion here since it seems to be taking off?
Yeah definitely a good idea, I was more or less just pointing out that conversation had already taken place on the topic
Old 15th May 2012, 3:02 PM   #9
Commie_Mike

man this thing is ridiculously popular for an alpha mod, check out the top steam sales. I think this mod is going to single-handedly fund ARMA 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raGneG View Post
Keen but don't like how buggy this looks. And the zombies run in weird lines?
that's a good thing. the zombies are easy enough to avoid if you're crouch walking or crawling and not terribly hard to kill. they need to be terrifying and difficult to hit when you set them off IMO. if they just ran straight at you you might as well be playing L4D/killing floor etc.
Commie_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 6:33 PM   #10
_JC_

Awesome mod.

Need moar Aus servers though. Takes ages to get into one
Old 15th May 2012, 6:48 PM   #11
Clippit

We should use ocau tags so we know who to shoot on sight. I'm playing as island thursday, I will put an ocau on that

I've been playing on the uk servers since the au ones are 1 full and 2 always in the dark. it boggles the mind how popular this is too - even this early on, and despite the difficulty installing, it's already busier than many commercial releases.

This mod is great though and before you complain too much, remember its an alpha so you're not really even supposed to be playing it yet.
Old 15th May 2012, 6:59 PM   #12
pher0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JC_ View Post
Need moar Aus servers though. Takes ages to get into one
I'm working on one, hardware will be in the rack tomorrow morning - hopefully I can find some time to get ARMA II installed and setup during the day, then antipop can jump in and do his thing
Old 15th May 2012, 7:04 PM   #13
EuroSlave

It's funny that people are buying arma just for this mod.

this mod has nothing on the other multiplayer missions.

anyway I love BIS so the more people buying arma 2 the better
EuroSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 7:07 PM   #14
Gnatty

Yeah i'm seriously contemplating ARMA just for this mod, will wait for the next steam sale however
Old 15th May 2012, 7:26 PM   #15
Domokun

Is this something I can jump in and try myself or should I squad up beforehand?

Edit: Damn it! It looks like I need "ARMA II: Combined Operations". I only have ARMA II!

Last edited by Domokun; 15th May 2012 at 7:28 PM.
Domokun is offline   Reply With Quote