Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Photography & Video

Notices

Old 28th May 2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Menthu_Rae Thread Starter

Default ColorHug - Open Source Colorimeter (Monitor Calibrator)

So I just got my Colorhug Colorimeter in the mail...

http://www.hughski.com/

Cost me 57 GBP delivered (~$95 at PayPal exchange rates). I thought I'd go with it since I run Linux primarily on my desktop and I could be sure that the software/resultant colour profiles would work with Linux - the guy who made it is the guy who has been revamping colour management in Linux over the past few years.

Will be testing it out tonight on my Dell U3011. Thought I'd make this thread for anyone else who has one to share their experiences. I can do a bit of a review depending on how the actual calibration goes
System Specs: i7 3770S, Noctua NH-U9B SE2, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600, ASUS P8Z77M-PRO, 6GB ASUS GTX980 Ti, 512GB Samsung 840 Pro / 525GB Crucial MX300, 2x 5TB Toshiba HDDs [RAID1], Dell U3011, ASUS Xonar Essence One, Audioengine 5+, LianLi PC-A04B, 3x Noctua NF-F12-iPPC-2000, 3x Noctua NF-B9 Redux 1600PWM, 1kW Silverstone ST1000P. 50+ Trades.
Menthu_Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 1:08 PM   #2
cleary
Mental in the Face

Thanks for the heads up on this - managed colour output is the core thing missing from my raw workflow on linux atm
cleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 4:39 PM   #3
^catalyst

I really like the idea of this, shame about no windows / mac os x software as the profiles won't be useful if made on a different OS with a different display driver
^catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 4:42 PM   #4
Athiril

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^catalyst View Post
I really like the idea of this, shame about no windows / mac os x software as the profiles won't be useful if made on a different OS with a different display driver
Should it be that different if you're using the nVidia or ATi downloaded drivers, etc?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/athiril/
35mm, 6x7cm, 4x5"
Ask me about C-41 & E-6 processing!
Athiril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 4:52 PM   #5
Menthu_Rae Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^catalyst View Post
Well, that's the beauty of it being open source (hardware included!) - someone can write a program to use the hardware in whatever OS they want, if they wish

The guy is also looking at making a photo-spectrometer - so yeah it is an exciting project IMO and hopefully continues to have some backing behind it for some time to come.
System Specs: i7 3770S, Noctua NH-U9B SE2, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600, ASUS P8Z77M-PRO, 6GB ASUS GTX980 Ti, 512GB Samsung 840 Pro / 525GB Crucial MX300, 2x 5TB Toshiba HDDs [RAID1], Dell U3011, ASUS Xonar Essence One, Audioengine 5+, LianLi PC-A04B, 3x Noctua NF-F12-iPPC-2000, 3x Noctua NF-B9 Redux 1600PWM, 1kW Silverstone ST1000P. 50+ Trades.
Menthu_Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 5:50 PM   #6
^catalyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
Should it be that different if you're using the nVidia or ATi downloaded drivers, etc?
Nope.

If you want a profile something, needs to be done as it will run. Too many variables.
^catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote