OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Holidays & Travel

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 29th May 2012, 9:05 AM   #1
chainbolt Thread Starter
The end is near?

Smile Japan? Japan!

You consider visiting Japan? We offer advice and information! Travel reports are welcome:

OCAU residents in Japan:

Your route planner:

General Guides and Advisories:

Australian Embassy Tokyo
Quote:
2-1-14 Mita, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8361 - Telephone: 03-5232-4111
http://www.japan-guide.com: Very detailed, highly recommended guide for basically all aspects of traveling in Japan, probably the best starting when planning a Japan trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by japan-guide.com

Travel Essentials

Before you go

When to travel: When to travel to Japan.
What to bring: About baggage and coin lockers.
Flying to Japan: About airlines, airports and airfares.
Immigration: About different types of visa.
Sightseeing Guide: List of cities and sightseeing spots.
Itineraries: Suggested travel itineraries for Japan.
Under Construction: List of sights affected by renovation or construction works.
Trip Reports: Trip reports by other travelers.
Tour Packages: About individual and guided package tours.

Money matters
Travel Cost: Sample budgets for travelling in Japan.
Budget Travel: How to save money on your travels in Japan.
Shop Directory:A directory of interesting shops in Japan.
Banking: Information about banks.
ATMs: Information about international ATMs.

Practical Information
Transportation: The ways to get to and around Japan.
Accommodation: Overview of different accommodation types.
Mobile Phones: Rental or prepaid mobile phones for Japan.
Internet Access: How to access the internet while traveling.
Postal Services: About post offices and Japanese addresses.
Delivery Services: About luggage delivery services.
Electricity: About voltage and Japanese plugs.
Emergencies: What to do in an emergency.

Weather and Seasons

When to travel: Basic weather information.
Cherry Blossoms: Guide to cherry blossom viewing.
Plum Blossoms: About plum blossoms.
Autumn Leaves: About the colorful autumn foliage.
Rainy Season: About the rainy season in early summer.
Typhoons: About Japan's typhoon season.
Earthquakes: About earthquakes.
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/: Japan National Tourism Organization

http://japantourist.jp/ Tourist portal by "metropolis" - a publication for and by foreigners living in Japan

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/index.php Tons of information about winter sport in Japan

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/quake/00000000091.html: Japan earthquake and disaster situation + official weather forecast/ advisory

Accommodation and hotel reservation

http://travel.rakuten.com/ Japanese site providing discount accommodations

http://travel-japan.jp/eng/: Hotel guide

http://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/index.html Budget hotel chain

http://www.tokyo-inn.co.jp/en/ Even cheaper budget hotel chain

http://www.princehotels.com/en/ Major middle class hotel chain, very popular among foreign tourists

Transportation

http://www.japanrailpass.net/: Information about traveling by train and the "Japan Railway Pass"

http://www.jetstar.com/jp/en/home Cheap flights from AUS / Japan

http://rent.toyota.co.jp/en/index.html Toyota Car Rental and driving advise

http://www.nipponrentacar.co.jp/service/general.htm Nissan Car Rental and driving advise

Very special subjects:

10 things foreign guys do that make Japanese girls fall head over heels

Akihabara's maid cafes tickle fancy of foreign visitors

Last edited by chainbolt; 31st October 2013 at 10:43 PM.
chainbolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 29th May 2012, 9:06 AM   #2
darth_wolf

If one were to go, what would you suggest one does?
darth_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 9:09 AM   #3
oculi

can you hook me up with a company car to drive there? a black 911 would be ideal, so i can go chasing S30 nissans on the wangan.
Old 29th May 2012, 9:13 AM   #4
chainbolt Thread Starter
The end is near?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_wolf View Post
If one were to go, what would you suggest one does?
It depends on the season, and then of course the time and budget you have. Japan is stretching over quite a few climate zones. You have excellent skiing and snowboarding opportunities from November to March, for example in Hokkaido (Niseko). Then: Tokyo is a must, the world biggest city, a world by ilself. Kyoto is another classic destination. I prefer the most southern of the 4 main islands: "Kyushu" because of its lovely landscape. There are many active volcanoes, such as "Aso" clsoe to Kumamoto, it's a breathtaking caldera measuring 100 km, several active volcanoes and even villages at the bottom.
Old 29th May 2012, 9:15 AM   #5
darth_wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainbolt View Post
It depends on the season, and then of course the time and budget you have. Japan is stretching over quite a few climate zones. You have excellent skiing and snowboarding opportunities from November to March, for example in Hokkaido (Niseko). Then: Tokyo is a must, the world biggest city, a world by ilself. Kyoto is another classic destination. I prefer the most southern of the 4 main islands: "Kyushu" because of its lovely landscape. There are many active volcanoes, such as "Aso" clsoe to Kumamoto, it's a breathtaking caldera measuring 100 km, several active volcanoes and even villages at the bottom.
What do you know about the abandons islands and ways of getting access to said islands?
Old 29th May 2012, 9:30 AM   #6
kangathekat
(Banned or Deleted)

Got a gieger counter handy? Can u take some readings of some random things around your area?
kangathekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 9:34 AM   #7
chainbolt Thread Starter
The end is near?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_wolf View Post
What do you know about the abandons islands and ways of getting access to said islands?
Japan has many abandoned islands because the population is stilling retreating to the big cities. Which one do you have in mind? One of the most famous is "Hashima" close to Nagasaki: http://googlesightseeing.com/2007/04...ndoned-island/. There are many stories about this island in japan, but I have no idea how to go there. I think you would have to ask a local fisherman for a private trip from the mainland to the island. There are more abandoned islands due to volcanic activities or tsunami danger.
Old 29th May 2012, 9:38 AM   #8
darth_wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainbolt View Post
Japan has many abandoned islands because the population is stilling retreating to the big cities. Which one do you have in mind? One of the most famous is "Hashima" close to Nagasaki: http://googlesightseeing.com/2007/04...ndoned-island/. No idea how to go there. I think you would have to ask a local fisherman for a private trip from the mainland to the island.
If one were to want to go Nagasaki for a holiday, how much would they be looking to spend? (somewhere around 5 nights) Also is there much else in Nagasaki (and its surrounding areas) to look at?

note: if you want me to stop asking questions just say and i shall look it all up myself when i get home.
Old 29th May 2012, 9:52 AM   #9
i010105

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangathekat View Post
Got a gieger counter handy? Can u take some readings of some random things around your area?
Not sure if troll or not, but I am curious to know...
i010105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 10:01 AM   #10
chainbolt Thread Starter
The end is near?

Quote:
Geiger counters are selling like hotcake in Japan. Here is one integrated in a wristwatch. There have been some excessive readings in Tokyo neighborhoods but they were all form stuff that hospitals or the imperial army dumped more than a century ago, mainly radium. I don't care.

Polimasterís PM1208M Wrist Gamma Indicator the latest Fashion at Akihabara
Old 29th May 2012, 10:34 AM   #11
kangathekat
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i010105 View Post
Not sure if troll or not, but I am curious to know...
Not a troll, genuinely interested. Not much MSM coverage of it any more and would love an actual real persons accounting of results of what it's like over there now.
kangathekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 10:45 AM   #12
savolion

Me and the missus are looking at travelling in middle of November,

probably going to aim for about 2 weeks on the ground, looking at Tokyo & Osaka, probably Hiroshima but not 100% sure.

We also want to go up into the mountains and stay up there a few nights, anywhere you would recommend/ great places to visit?

Successful trades: Lothar_Wolf, RoryK, Converge, Sonicthemouse, Touchwood, Mr_Sinistah, Partybear
savolion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 10:51 AM   #13
chainbolt Thread Starter
The end is near?

Quote:
Not a troll, genuinely interested. Not much MSM coverage of it any more and would love an actual real persons accounting of results of what it's like over there now.
As I said, it's a subject of concern for many Japanese, those living in Fukushima or in the neighboring provinces, but also Tokyo, in particular families with small kids are concerned. In Tokyo however, as I said, due to the fact that suddenly many people are checking their neighborhoods, a few radiation sources were found that had nothing to do with Fukushima, but have been in place for decades - unnoticed.

Here you have such case: Setagaya Radiation “Hot Spot” – Not From Fukushima

Quote:
Yesterday morning, there was great excitement on the internet about the discovery of a radioactive “hot spot” in Tokyo. The discovery was made by a citizens’ group that had been using their own geiger counters to search for radiation in Tokyo. The particular spot was only a couple square meters in size, located along the side of an old building:

Setagaya Ward detected radiation of 2.707 microsieverts per hour at the fence, which is in the Tsurumaki district, on Oct. 6, and measured the radiation again twice Thursday. The day’s preliminary reading was reportedly 3.35 microsieverts per hour.

A level of 2.707 microsieverts per hour would be equivalent to 14.2 millisieverts per year, while 3.35 microsieverts per hour would be equivalent to 17.6 millisieverts per year, lower than the 20 millisieverts per year at which the government is supposed to order an evacuation.

It is widely believed that a one-time exposure to 100 millisieverts of radiation may increase the risk of dying from cancer by 0.5 percent.

The contamination appears to be limited to one site, as no other hot spots were found in Setagaya.

The ward measured radiation levels at 64 local elementary schools in the summer, and the highest reading was only 0.1 microsievert an hour.

It seemed like a dream come true for anti-nuclear bloggers and conspiracy theorists. Look! The Japanese government has been lying to its citizens: Tokyo is in danger! There’s a hot spot in Tokyo that is more radioactive than some of the evacuated parts of Fukushima! The government is murdering its own people!

But, the truth came to light, and it was bad news for fear-mongers. Authorities checked the building next to the spot, and found its source. It was radium-226, an isotope not used in the Fukushima reactors.

Mayor Nobuto Hosaka said Thursday the hotspot was most likely caused by a radioactive material in several old bottles in the house. He said radioactivity from the bottles exceeded the measurable limit on a low-dose radiation counter.

Science and education ministry inspectors believe the bottles contain radium, a radioactive material used in the past as self-luminous paint for watches, Kyodo News agency reported. It said the inspectors concluded that the radiation was not related to the Fukushima disaster because no cesium was detected in the bottles. Cesium is one of the main isotopes that leaked from the tsunami-damaged nuclear plant.

Meanwhile, in Funabashi, a group of Chiba citizens discovered their own hot spot. When authorities came to check it, they found it was a false alarm:
Old 29th May 2012, 11:02 AM   #14
lang

I am going to tokyo for work in 2 weeks and I will have free days on Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th of june. Based in Tachikawa if it makes a difference.

Do you know of any car related things I could do that weekend?

Interested in racing, drifting, car shows and car parts shopping (I have an evo 9)
lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 12:04 PM   #15
Fraggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by savolion View Post
Me and the missus are looking at travelling in middle of November,

probably going to aim for about 2 weeks on the ground, looking at Tokyo & Osaka, probably Hiroshima but not 100% sure.

We also want to go up into the mountains and stay up there a few nights, anywhere you would recommend/ great places to visit?
Did similar last September (was getting cool already so November could be chilly). Already did Hiroshima in another trip before so we did Fuji/Five Lakes to Osaka to Tokyo. Hiroshima is my favourite of the cities - definitely worth the visit if you can spare the time. Find a bicycle to hire or most hotels have them to borrow. Tho, would also highly recommend getting into the alps etc. was another side to Japan altogether!

First night was Fuji, picked up a MX5 and drove up to Kamikochi (had to park in town and catch a bus into the reserve). Open top roadster and Japanese country-side = Stayed overnight and did the walks next day. If you go here, and if it's the one thing you do - don't miss out on the sweet fish soba!!! Then headed down to Kawaguchiko via Matsumoto and visited Fuji-Q and hiked Mt. Fuji that night for sunrise (started about 11:00 pm and sunrise was about 4:30 am). Was a fantastic sushi/sashimi restaurant opposite Matsumoto station, surprisingly cheap too! Then returned the car to Fuji and down to Osaka four nights and back to Tokyo four nights. Next time, definitely more days out in the country tho
MACH-5 :: Q6600 :: P5K SE/EPU :: 4GB Dominator :: HX620 :: HD 5450
Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote