Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Other Operating Systems

Notices

Old 30th May 2012, 8:44 AM   #1
cleary Thread Starter
Mental in the Face

Default It's a Beefy Miracle! (Fedora 17 Released...)

Quote:
"At the heat of a thousand hot dog cookers, the seventeenth release of Fedora shall be forged by contributors the world over, and it will be known as: Beefy Miracle. The mustard shall indicate progress.

For six months, participants in the Fedora Project shall freely contribute to the release of the distribution, in the spirit of the Four Foundations -- Freedom, Friends, Features, and First -- and moreover, they shall relish in Fun, as a community without Fun would be like a day without sunshine.

Upon release, a free and open source operating system shall be available to all, catering to a variety of tastes -- those of end-users, systems administrators, and developers, with a common thread that binds them all: No, not their love for hot dogs, silly, as we certainly know that Fedora shall be created and used by those whose dietary preference could be either Beefy or Leafy. Freedom, my friends, Freedom is the Great Condiment, which shall enable all users of the Beefy Miracle to Create, Share, and Do."
-- The Book of Sauerkraut, Chapter 12, Verse 529

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F17_release_announcement

ISOs:
http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora
Local mirror: http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/fedo...x/releases/17/

Personal note: I don't mind the fact that this whole thing is pretty tongue in cheek. It stands out, and has already generated a bit of publicity and discussion, plus it's quite funny. Other people really don't like it though... - I have to appreciate the issue with resources being spent on IP/TM investigations into the names, but redhat have a team dedicated to doing that, so I can't imagine it's any sort of a drain on said resources

Last edited by cleary; 30th May 2012 at 8:51 AM.
cleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 9:21 AM   #2
Swathe
(Banned or Deleted)

It's still better than any of the ubuntu names.
Swathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 9:28 AM   #3
cleary Thread Starter
Mental in the Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swathe View Post
Them's fightin' words
Old 31st May 2012, 1:56 PM   #4
houseofzeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleary View Post
Personal note: I don't mind the fact that this whole thing is pretty tongue in cheek. It stands out, and has already generated a bit of publicity and discussion, plus it's quite funny. Other people really don't like it though...
The vote they referred to closed a while back and the consensus was to keep having release names. In an additional vote the release name chosen for F18 was Spherical Cow which I am sure the author of that post is equally enamored with.

Personally I don't see the fuss, the community obviously like having a bit of fun with the code names and then about a week after the release nobody refers to it using the release name anyway. No harm no foul.

Also I think the argument that it's wasting all this precious time is a bit of a furphy, people pushing this seriously over-estimate how much goes into it in my opinion.

Last edited by houseofzeus; 31st May 2012 at 2:00 PM.
houseofzeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 1:04 PM   #5
papelboyl1
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swathe View Post
almost anything is better than how ubuntu name their releases
papelboyl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 1:05 PM   #6
elvis
Old school old fool

Any oVirt users playing with this?
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 2:19 AM   #7
houseofzeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Any oVirt users playing with this?
I haven't really bothered, the bits that did make it are those which most people have already tried out on Fedora 16. There is a lot of change in Fedora 17, in particular with the switch to Java 7 and the inclusion of jbossas7, that will be better catered for in the second oVirt release coming up soon.
houseofzeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 7:45 AM   #8
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofzeus View Post
that will be better catered for in the second oVirt release coming up soon.
Ah, that's good to know.

I had all sorts of problems with the first release. Hopefully the next one will be a bit more stable.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 1:13 PM   #9
Asteroid

I just grabbed the default live iso and booted it on the netbook. This isn't half bad. It picked up all the hardware first go and it quite snappy, even running from an external dvd drive.

I am impressed, aside from the lack of configuration file editing.
Old 4th June 2012, 11:42 AM   #10
Asteroid

So I've got this properly installed on the netbook now. Here's how it went down:

The good:
Installed from full DVD, took ages but was easy enough It booted up and detected all the hardware straight away. Connecting to my hidden ssid wlan was a piece of cake. Even the Fn key shortcuts work. Gnome shell looks pretty and is intuitive, even for a hardened Win/ KDE user like myself. Synaptics touchpad works well and is easily configured, though some sort of palm-check would be nice. Suspend and hibernate seem ok.

The ordinary:
Gnome makes very poor use of screen real estate. Everything is bigger and bulkier than in Win7 or KDE4, very annoying on a 1024x600 screen. Partially solved by installing gnome-tweak and fiddling with themes. However the lack of configurability out of the box is lame, not only that I had to search google to figure out what package to install to do it.

The bad:
Battery life is shithouse. It's probably 1/3 of what it gets in 7 starter. This can be partially explained by the heavy OpenGL use by Gnome, but I suspect the cpu isn't throttling. Need to solve this.
Old 4th June 2012, 12:05 PM   #11
cleary Thread Starter
Mental in the Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
The ordinary:
Gnome makes very poor use of screen real estate. Everything is bigger and bulkier than in Win7 or KDE4, very annoying on a 1024x600 screen. Partially solved by installing gnome-tweak and fiddling with themes. However the lack of configurability out of the box is lame, not only that I had to search google to figure out what package to install to do it.
I found this - you can rejig your font dpi using the dconf-editor (try setting it to 0.8 to shrink it)
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=260123
Old 4th June 2012, 4:38 PM   #12
Asteroid

I tried that. The problem isn't so much the size of the fonts, it's the size of the title and menu bars. Lots of wasted space that isn't normally there.