Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Photography & Video > The Gallery

Notices

Old 11th June 2012, 6:26 AM   #1
Azrael Thread Starter

Default Berlin - a jetlagged adventure

A few from our first day in Berlin. Editing on my nopics Air, which doesn't have a colour calibrated screen, and I'm jet lagged, so i might wake up int he morning and think that the basic crop/process which I've done is crap. Meh

01 - Berlin TV Tower

02 - Berlin Wall

03 - Jewish Holocaust Memorial

04 - Jewish Holocaust Memorial

05 - Mercedes SLS GT3 in the showroom

06 - Mercedes in shoroom

07 - Objects of worship (Cathedral and TV tower)

08 - Catholic Cathedral

09 - Paying respects

10 - Clocktower

11 - Sunset

Considering cloning out the crane in the sunset photo, but at the same time its certainly a big part of what Berlin is at the moment. There is construction absolutely everywhere.
The light was middling today, the half hour or so when i was at the cathedral it was nice, but other than that it was either high in the sky or grey and overcast. Plus they have setup a massive temporary park/entertainment centre around Brandenburg Tor for the Euro2012 stuff, so its hard to get photos there atm
My feeling for the day was this overwhelming sense of gothic brooding, and so thats probably how I've subconsciously interpreted the processing, looking back. Will see what i think int he morning.

Feedback RE: levels and saturation would be good from calibrated monitors.
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 11:37 AM   #2
^catalyst

All look to have exposure not quite right, if your working uncalibrated push until clipping then dial back a bit.

nice shots largely, processing letting you down, but given the circumstances i'd call it a win.
^catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 1:43 PM   #3
BeastHouse

Number 11's sky is far too blown out for me. You should get rid of the crane, then compare the two, might be nice to have both versions.

Berlin is one place I haven't been in Germany, but it certainly does have a German feel to it that I know from the rest of the country I have seen. Well done, hope you enjoyed your trip!
BeastHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 4:49 AM   #4
Azrael Thread Starter

So i went back to these today and were pretty dissatisfied. Went through and did some processing changes but the inter webs here is being pathetic (at the hotel) so its pretty hard to upload them in bulk. Ive re-uploaded picture 11, and added a few more from today.

11 Redux, i think this is better

Day 2

12 Pergamon statuette:

13 Greek Mythology Family tree

14 Pergamon Museum

15 Brandenburg Tor

16 THE Wall

17 Das Amerikanischen Sektor

Trying for a minimalist older type of film processing for the last two.

Heading out of Berlin tomorrow, driving towards Erfurt
Old 13th June 2012, 11:04 AM   #5
mmBax

13 is awesome, Greek Mythology Family Tree.

Love how McDonalds is just inside the American Sector as well.

Awesome pics, will be keeping an eye on the rest.
mmBax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 6:07 PM   #6
deepspring

Azrael,

Awesome shots mate. Color and saturation are perfect on my monitor (calibrated with a Spyder4Express).
deepspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 8:28 PM   #7
BeastHouse

Much better!
BeastHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 6:56 AM   #8
Azrael Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmBax View Post
13 is awesome, Greek Mythology Family Tree.

Love how McDonalds is just inside the American Sector as well.

Awesome pics, will be keeping an eye on the rest.
Hehe yeah, that one did tickle my fancy, and the Greek Mythology boggles. I took about 20 pictures up close of them to try and make head and tails of some parts.

I have about another 200 pictures from the Pergamon museum, which was absolutely amazing. Especially for a history nut like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepspring View Post
Azrael,

Awesome shots mate. Color and saturation are perfect on my monitor (calibrated with a Spyder4Express).
Cool, good to know. Ill keep going like that.

Expect more tomorrow. We have been through Eisleben, Eisenach, Wittenburg, Erfurt, Wartburg and now in Adenau....
Old 25th June 2012, 7:42 AM   #9
karun

I think for the Brandenburger Tor, its better when the Hyundai Fan Park is not in the background, as this blocks out a lot of the view.
karun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 7:53 AM   #10
richard0296

god this makes me miss berlin.

pls take me back somebody
richard0296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 7:15 PM   #11
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Lovely set of pictures. I particularly like 3 for some reason. Perhaps the minimalism.
Old 25th June 2012, 9:00 PM   #12
gwills

Pics of the nopics not loading ?

Great shots though !
gwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 4:19 AM   #13
Azrael Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karun View Post
I think for the Brandenburger Tor, its better when the Hyundai Fan Park is not in the background, as this blocks out a lot of the view.
When you are doing travel photography you don't particularly get a choice in when they have big football tournaments on, and when they set up screens and scaffolding around major photographic sites.
You have to either work around it, or work with it.

Originally the Brandenburger Tor was where the public gathered to see the victorious armies returning home. Now its where the public gather to see.... the victorious (? i havnt seen many games) armies abroad....

Sometimes social commentary using photos tickles my fancy. As per the "Two objects of worship", and the Holocaust Memorial photos above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
Lovely set of pictures. I particularly like 3 for some reason. Perhaps the minimalism.
Yeah, glimpsing down there made my heart skip a beat. Especially with the general gloominess of the memorial, and the holocaust history, that little tuft of green at the end of the monotony....