OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Other Toys/Hobbies

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 5th August 2012, 10:49 PM   #1
ASIGN_Baz Thread Starter
"Maker of awesome stuff"

Default Builds By Baz - Steel MKIV Iron Man Suit

Wearable armour building from humble beginnings to the present.

Found a cool site called the 405th. It's very nerdy so it's right up my alley. These guys use scratch-building and Pepakura techniques to build 3D wearable armour. It could be just a helmet, or full-body complete with lighting, mini arc-reactors and energy weapons.

Three years later, I'm now well into my THIRD and final steel Iron Man suit with the goal to take it to sick kids hospital wards to give them some fun for a couple of hours.

Suit 1 - fibreglass/bondo

Suit 2 - Cardboard, (Templates for eventual steel)

Suit 3 - Steel

Last edited by ASIGN_Baz; 7th July 2017 at 1:17 AM.
ASIGN_Baz is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 5th August 2012, 10:51 PM   #2
HyRax1
ˇViva la Resolutión!

That looks fantastic! Well done!
Old 9th August 2012, 8:38 PM   #3
ASIGN_Baz Thread Starter
"Maker of awesome stuff"

Thanks mate.

Here's the latest work from last night.

Reinforced the inside with thick fibreglass mat tonight and left it to cure overnight. Today it is rock-hard as a motorcycle helmet. Next step, sanding and cleaning up the edges before starting the bog-work on the outside.

Old 10th August 2012, 10:25 PM   #4
ASIGN_Baz Thread Starter
"Maker of awesome stuff"

Tonight's work. I was able to borrow a Dremel tool and some wonderful mini-cut-off disks and sanding wheels. Makes light work of this!

1. Fully fibreglassed, faceplate separated and eyes cut out.

2. Faceplate test-fit. Initial sanding begins.

3. I see potential here. Would make a great motorcycle helmet or downhill ski helmet yes?
Old 11th August 2012, 1:27 PM   #5
unmaskedgrunt

Welcome to the 405th mate!

I'm currently creating an ODST suit from Halo 3. Spent about 10 hours all up pepping the helmet together only to have it shrink during the outer resin hardening. Luckily a mate has a smaller head than me and is going to take it and finish it off.

Going to restart with some smaller, less detailed parts of the suit to get some more experience before tackling the helmet again.

An Iron Man suit would probably be my next project, yours is looking good!

It's definitely a great time passing hobby. Just blast some music and you'll lose entire nights to folding and gluing.

Steam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1 View Post
You got a problem eh bro? What chu farkin lookin at bro? lookin at my girl eh?
unmaskedgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2012, 10:33 PM   #6
ASIGN_Baz Thread Starter
"Maker of awesome stuff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmaskedgrunt View Post
Welcome to the 405th mate!

I'm currently creating an ODST suit from Halo 3. Spent about 10 hours all up pepping the helmet together only to have it shrink during the outer resin hardening. Luckily a mate has a smaller head than me and is going to take it and finish it off.

Going to restart with some smaller, less detailed parts of the suit to get some more experience before tackling the helmet again.

An Iron Man suit would probably be my next project, yours is looking good!

It's definitely a great time passing hobby. Just blast some music and you'll lose entire nights to folding and gluing.
Thanks mate! Yep, I let the radio blast out of the shed and get quite focused. I hope your ODST goes well. Next part I do I will definitely be printing the pep with the numbers.

Baz.
Old 12th August 2012, 12:32 AM   #7
SVD115

don't mind me, im just posting for cupcakes...
My Rig: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD7, Intel Core i7 860 3.8Ghz, Vantec IonZ+ 700w, WD Caviar Black 500Gb, 2xSapphire HD5770CF, Coolermaster V10 TEC, Corsair 8Gb Dominator 1600mhz, LG W2353V,Asus VW246h and Samsung 32" LCD , Denon AVR-1906, Wharfedale Modus 6 front towers, Logitech G15V2, Logitech G7
[Logitech 'G' Owners Club Member #115]
SVD115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 7:35 PM   #8
ASIGN_Baz Thread Starter
"Maker of awesome stuff"

First layer of body-filler applied - roughing out the shape. Curing to rock-hard overnight ready for sanding tomorrow.

Old 14th August 2012, 6:48 PM   #9
ASIGN_Baz Thread Starter
"Maker of awesome stuff"

First sanding and shaping layer of body-filler done, ready for the next layer. Got some edges to match up a little, but fitting together better than I expected.

Old 14th August 2012, 6:56 PM   #10
hotsuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASIGN_Baz View Post
3. I see potential here. Would make a great motorcycle helmet or downhill ski helmet yes?
looks awsome , but no, the point of a motorcycle helmet is the foam inside , the carbon just protects the foam, when you hit your head the foam compresses and absorbs as much of the impact as possible, but then again you may have been joking , is there like templates for the paper or did you figure that out some how?
...\(__)L... Feed me a stray cat
hotsuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 7:01 PM   #11
unmaskedgrunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsuma View Post
looks awsome , but no, the point of a motorcycle helmet is the foam inside , the carbon just protects the foam, when you hit your head the foam compresses and absorbs as much of the impact as possible, but then again you may have been joking , is there like templates for the paper or did you figure that out some how?
There are templates for the pieces that you open with a program called Pepakura Designer. These are 3D models that are 'unfolded' to make a flat layout of the faces of the model, that you print onto card paper and cut out and glue together.

Have a look on the 405th for the different files that people are building from:
http://www.405th.com/forum.php

Steam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1 View Post
You got a problem eh bro? What chu farkin lookin at bro? lookin at my girl eh?
unmaskedgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 7:08 PM   #12
Deliverancexx
(Banned or Deleted)

Wow that picture after the first sand looks much better then I was expecting!
When I first opened the thread I thought the final step was the shaped paper from pic 1. I thought that was cool enough until I scrolled down haha.
Deliverancexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 7:46 PM   #13
ASIGN_Baz Thread Starter
"Maker of awesome stuff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsuma View Post
Cheers mate. I must remember to stop joking. You're not the first person to take me seriously and start throwing caution at me.

Mind you, I just spent a day on the snow fields with NO helmet as do most people. So, as a ski helmet, it would look cool, but of course would offer no more protection than the beanie I wore.

The Pepakura files are available online for download, but you need the programs to view and size them, modify them and print them. A degree of know-how with hand and power tools is needed, as well as an adaptive mind to modify and solve as you build.

Baz.

Last edited by ASIGN_Baz; 14th August 2012 at 7:49 PM.
ASIGN_Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 8:57 PM   #14
.Radiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASIGN_Baz View Post
The Pepakura files are available online for download, but you need the programs to view and size them, modify them and print them. A degree of know-how with hand and power tools is needed, as well as an adaptive mind to modify and solve as you build.
or open enough to realise you've buggered up and it's time to reprint certain pieces I've been working on a mech lately and some of the pieces are so small it's ridiculous - especially cylinders and other circular objects.
e.g these go onto an a4 page

Many reprints needed
Old 14th August 2012, 9:28 PM   #15
orby

This is going to be good, looks sick already! Keep up the good work