Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Holidays & Travel

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 19th October 2012, 5:15 PM   #1
bueller Thread Starter

Default What's your favourite airline?

At the moment my favourite is Air New Zealand, flew them earlier in the year and they were brilliant. Good food, plenty of in-flight entertainment, comfortable seats and really pleasant flight attendants.

Least favourite would have to be Virgin, on the way to Sydney earlier this year they were delayed by 3 hours which nearly made me miss my connecting flight. Seats were uncomfortable and the cabins looked like they were falling apart. Got on a newer plane for the return flight only to find that they had no in-flight entertainment of any kind. Luckily I had a book to read however the girl next to me didn't so I had to put up with chatty Cathy all damn flight. Never again.

Will be flying Cathay Pacific in a fornight, anyone had any experiences with them?
bueller is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 19th October 2012, 6:04 PM   #2
bsbozzy

I have flown Emirates, Qantas, Virgin, Jetstar, Garuda.

1. Emirates - by far
2. Garuda
3. Qantas
4. Virgin
7829: Jetsar
Old 19th October 2012, 6:08 PM   #3
bueller Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbozzy View Post
I have flown Emirates, Qantas, Virgin, Jetstar, Garuda.

1. Emirates - by far
2. Garuda
3. Qantas
4. Virgin
7829: Jetsar
Funny you should mention Jetstar actually, my boss has had a hell of a time with them lately. After seeing what he's been put through I've vowed never to book another flight with them.
Old 19th October 2012, 6:46 PM   #4
maev

I was going to say, I would fly anyone but jetstar.

I'm going to say virgin, though that's only been domestic.
Old 19th October 2012, 7:36 PM   #5
DarkYendor

Domestic: Qantas > Virgin > Jetstar
Successful OCAU trades / New blog & buildlogs
DarkYendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 7:39 PM   #6
spludgey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkYendor View Post
Domestic: Qantas > Virgin > Jetstar
Domestic: Qantas > Virgin > Jetstar >> Tiger
spludgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 7:48 PM   #7
bueller Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spludgey View Post
Domestic: Qantas > Virgin > Jetstar >> Tiger
People fly Tiger?

I've always avoided them like the plague, every person I've ever known that has flown them has had nothing but bad things to say.
Old 19th October 2012, 8:34 PM   #8
Krossceeper

Favorite - Korean Air (amazing food, service etc)
Runner ups - Cathay pacific, Qantas.

Worst - China airlines (horrible food which made me very very sick)
Runner ups - Jetstar.

To be honest though I expected as much with jetstar, it wasnt that 'bad' as such. They have cheap flights for a reason.
Krossceeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 9:33 PM   #9
s3kemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krossceeper View Post
Favorite - Korean Air (amazing food, service etc)Runner ups - Cathay pacific, Qantas.

Worst - China airlines (horrible food which made me very very sick)
Runner ups - Jetstar.

To be honest though I expected as much with jetstar, it wasnt that 'bad' as such. They have cheap flights for a reason.
Good to hear, I'll be flying with them later this year.

Best Int'l: SIA
Best Domestic: Virgin
48 Successful Trades: bAbY_RoG3R, red_marine, NuMatthu, z3[n], jtsmorris, ShaneBrooks, JeffK, DigiTal, orbisfactor, Rickster x3, krayzia2, other ed, foreva, Lowy, siamak, BananaMan, karsa, FoxMan, Howard, MiniDisc, jboles, jimboh2k, Datsun1600, neilz, gmturner, T-Bones, NforSa, phat_s14, Drewcarey, inspectr, kathshan x3, MultiSlayer, tuapui, sizzaone, j00cy, evo800v, Skidoo, Goth, zha50, wast3gat3, Herman, Zenskas, mookie3three, Psycronic, 180degrees, Garido
s3kemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 9:50 PM   #10
Falkor

Man so many people like Qantas, I think they are terrible international. Domestic they are the best but their international I find terrible and I've been delayed/had issues everytime I've flown them.

Singapore by far are the best.

Also depends where you are flying, within Australia Virgin are good but only a budget carrier. However within the US Virgin America is top notch.
Old 19th October 2012, 10:16 PM   #11
Nikoy

Singapore
Emirates
Qantas
Malyasian
Lufthansa
It's obvious that it's aimed at people who think hot chicks and flightless, extinct birds make a sexy combination. You could cut the sexual tension in those ads with a knife. Will the girl and the dead bird hook up? Won't they? And if they do, will she be charged with beastiality, necrophelia, or both?
Nikoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 12:39 PM   #12
Sandez

People actually enjoy flying Qantas domestically? I guess you all love your frequent flyer points. The amount of inconvenience, last minute cancellations and other things that Qantas cause myself and my clients mean I only go with them because I have to. I've personally dealt with rude, inattentive cabin staff, uncomfortable seats and innumerable delays for no reason. Their staff are also only willing to help 5% of the time (as both a member of the general public and someone in the industry), and transfer you around the rest of the time. Unfortunately as this is a public forum I can't express my true opinions but what I have written is pretty much standard knowledge.

Every few weeks they reschedule a few of their key WA routes 5 minutes either side, then swap it back, just to fuck with the agents and passengers. They also will make changes to flights, pushing them back an hour without any reason, which inconveniences hundreds of people and fucks with the buses carrying my clients to site.

My favourite domestically would have to be Virgin based on the numerous flights I've taken with them, which have all been fantastic. They are also doing a huge push to increase their routes domestically which will allow them to hopefully decimate the complacent Qantas (who would be dead in the water without corporate flyers). They are also always willing to fix problems and go above and beyond the call of duty which is always an asset. Having flown them to NZ too I can't rate the experience highly enough. They are doing a massive push to improve their public image and will be becoming a full service carrier in January which will result in a much better trip for all involved. If anyone has any negative experience on Virgin please send me a PM and I will pass it onto their sales team as they are always willing to listen.

Internationally, I would say Singapore Airlines or Emirates. My least favourite is Garuda based on a trip I took domestically within Indonesia several years ago. I hear they have improved immensely in the last couple of years though. Qantas also have the dubious honour of sharing bottom spot based on an absolutely woeful Sydney to Singapore flight I took a while back.
... there would probably be more yelling/freakingout/laughing at my small penis/photos being taken on phones...
Sandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 2:11 PM   #13
Raykay

I was young when I flew with Singapore AL, but it seems to bring back better memories than Malaysian AL, who I've used more often in recent years.
Raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 2:30 PM   #14
Oppressa

Singapore Airlines fo sho.

IMO no good domestic ones, they all have issues. Would choose Virgin though. Qantas isn't worth the price.
Main: AeroCool Dead Silence Cube, i7 3930K, Thermaltake F3 with Yate Loon, Rampage IV GENE, Corsair 4x4Gb 2133Mhz DDR3 Dominator GT, Sapphire 7970, OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 120Gb, 2 x 2Tb Western Digital Green
HTPC: Silverstone SST-GD01S-MXR, i5 4670, Scythe Big Shuriken, ASUS Z87M-PLUS, G.Skill Ares F3-1866C9D-8GAB (2x4GB) DDR3, 8Tb of storage, Pioneer Bluray BDR-206
Oppressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 3:10 PM   #15
bueller Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppressa View Post
Singapore Airlines fo sho.

IMO no good domestic ones, they all have issues. Would choose Virgin though. Qantas isn't worth the price.
Actually you make a pretty good point, I said I wouldn't fly Virgin again after last time but thinking about it there's not really much option as Qantas are too pricey and I wouldn't touch Jetstar or Tiger with a ten foot clown pole.