Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding > Modding Worklogs

Notices


Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!
Search our forums with Google:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 30th November 2012, 12:55 PM   #1
slipperyskip Thread Starter
Member
 
slipperyskip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 477
Default Ayr - A Solid State HTPC Project

Hello OCAU! I have lost count of how many projects I have posted here over the years and I always enjoy coming back. I have just been bragging about how well run this place is and how active and friendly the membership is at OCAU.

Here is the start to my latest custom computer project. The name Ayr was chosen because of the fanless air cooling that is the center of this project. Literally, as you will find out later.

The objective is to get Intel HD4000 graphics out of a fanless, solid state, no moving parts, dead silent HTPC system.



Gigabyte Z77 Mini-ITX board.





Silverstone HE02 Heatsink. Nearly 1 Kg of cooling goodness.





Intel i3-3225 with HD4000 graphics.







Thanks for looking.
__________________
slipperyskip.com
slipperyskip is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 30th November 2012, 12:58 PM   #2
thebranded
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,128
Default

you sure there's a MB under that heat sink?
thebranded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 12:58 PM   #3
BeanerSA
Member
 
BeanerSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gateway to the Barossa
Posts: 3,602
Default

It's a start. What are you're plans for case, psu?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madengineer View Post
If you follow the rules and use your brains. Everything works out.
BeanerSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 1:05 PM   #4
dorsy99
Member
 
dorsy99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ipswich, Queensland
Posts: 129
Default

Sub'd for more amazing wood. (Both meanings intended )

Very interested in how it's gonna stay cool.
__________________
Rig: i7-4770k | 16gb G.Skill 2400mhz | Asrock Z87-Extreme6 | ASUS R9 290 CrossFire | SilverStone ST1000w | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840evo 120gb
Server: i3-3220
| 8gb G.Skill 1333mhz | Intel DH77DF | Bitfenix Prodigy | Antec EA550 Platinum | ~11tb
Networking etc: Linksys E4200 | Dell PowerConnect 2816 | Netgear DGN2200 (as AP)
My Trades
dorsy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 1:07 PM   #5
BBITS
Member
 
BBITS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brisbane Southside
Posts: 668
Default

LOL WHAT... this is ridiculously good
BBITS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 1:07 PM   #6
BeanerSA
Member
 
BeanerSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gateway to the Barossa
Posts: 3,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBITS View Post
LOL WHAT... this is ridiculously good
It is?!?!

I'm not saying this isn't going to be a good project, but it's a hs on a cpu/mb.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madengineer View Post
If you follow the rules and use your brains. Everything works out.

Last edited by BeanerSA; 30th November 2012 at 1:10 PM.
BeanerSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 1:44 PM   #7
slipperyskip Thread Starter
Member
 
slipperyskip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebranded View Post
you sure there's a MB under that heat sink?
It is pretty funny isn't it? "Step 2: Attach motherboard to heatsink"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanerSA View Post
It's a start. What are you're plans for case, psu?
Hey Beaner. I typically don't give out too much info about plans. That's just my style. The power supply will be a 150W PicoPSU. You can see my other work at my web site. Most of those projects can also be found here in these forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorsy99 View Post
Sub'd for more amazing wood. (Both meanings intended )

Very interested in how it's gonna stay cool.
The HS02 heatsink is rated at 95W when fanless and the CPU is rated at 55W. Theoretically, it should work. Only one way to find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBITS View Post
LOL WHAT... this is ridiculously good
I know. Crazy huh? It just seemed like way too much fun to not do. With Ivy Bridge thermal ratings so low it just seemed like the time to go full passive.
__________________
slipperyskip.com
slipperyskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 1:58 PM   #8
dorsy99
Member
 
dorsy99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ipswich, Queensland
Posts: 129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperyskip View Post
The HS02 heatsink is rated at 95W when fanless and the CPU is rated at 55W. Theoretically, it should work. Only one way to find out.
Damn right. If it works, might be worth throwing one in my server.

Will you have any ambient airflow, or will it be enclosed in a case?

Now I'm really keen for more updates!
__________________
Rig: i7-4770k | 16gb G.Skill 2400mhz | Asrock Z87-Extreme6 | ASUS R9 290 CrossFire | SilverStone ST1000w | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840evo 120gb
Server: i3-3220
| 8gb G.Skill 1333mhz | Intel DH77DF | Bitfenix Prodigy | Antec EA550 Platinum | ~11tb
Networking etc: Linksys E4200 | Dell PowerConnect 2816 | Netgear DGN2200 (as AP)
My Trades
dorsy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 2:15 PM   #9
slipperyskip Thread Starter
Member
 
slipperyskip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorsy99 View Post
Damn right. If it works, might be worth throwing one in my server.

Will you have any ambient airflow, or will it be enclosed in a case?

Now I'm really keen for more updates!
Good question about the ambient airflow. It is hard to imagine rating it at a very specific 95W when stock cases have such varied airflow specs. Maybe the 95W assumes some internal case flow. I'm still comfortable trying it because of the 40W difference. Heatsinks will also create their own airflow from natural circulation. Again...only one way to find out.

EDIT: The heatsink will be exposed approx. 80-85%. I intend to integrate the heatsink into the cases exterior design.
__________________
slipperyskip.com

Last edited by slipperyskip; 30th November 2012 at 2:25 PM.
slipperyskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 2:18 PM   #10
Rory K
Member
 
Rory K's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Melbourne, 3145
Posts: 2,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperyskip View Post
Good question about the ambient airflow. It is hard to imagine rating it at a very specific 95W when stock cases have such varied airflow specs. Maybe the 95W assumes some internal case flow. I'm still comfortable trying it because of the 40W difference. Heatsinks will also create their own airflow from natural circulation. Again...only one way to find out.
Will you be mounting it vertically or horizontally? I would have thought mounting the mobo vertically would perform better in passive, since the heatsink fins would be vertical, but it would be interesting to test
__________________
Project: Eternity, modded and liquified TJ08-E ON HOLD
| i5 3570K | GTX 780 | 8GB 1600CL8 | Z77 Extreme4-M | TJ08-E | 128GB Samsung 830 | 240GB SanDisk Extreme | 850W Strider Plus | Xonar Essence STX | U2711 |
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarZK View Post
What's the point of going to the pub when you can get drunk on skype?
Rory K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 2:19 PM   #11
Pugsley_21
Member
 
Pugsley_21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 1,418
Default

Nice project! I had the same objectives when I built my HTPC - http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...&postcount=296
__________________
Signature virus: please copy me to your signature.
Pugsley_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 2:45 PM   #12
slipperyskip Thread Starter
Member
 
slipperyskip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory K View Post
Will you be mounting it vertically or horizontally? I would have thought mounting the mobo vertically would perform better in passive, since the heatsink fins would be vertical, but it would be interesting to test
The heatsink will be horizontal and 80-85% exposed. Vertically mounted will be Rev 2.0 if the horizontal fails. I keep imagining a vertically-mounted 1 Kg heatsink snapping the motherboard in half. Well...rip out a few bolts anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley_21 View Post
Nice project! I had the same objectives when I built my HTPC - http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...&postcount=296
I'm familiar with ADATA products. Nicely made. Great project. Thanks for sharing.
__________________
slipperyskip.com
slipperyskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 3:36 PM   #13
dorsy99
Member
 
dorsy99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ipswich, Queensland
Posts: 129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperyskip View Post
The heatsink will be horizontal and 80-85% exposed. Vertically mounted will be Rev 2.0 if the horizontal fails. I keep imagining a vertically-mounted 1 Kg heatsink snapping the motherboard in half. Well...rip out a few bolts anyway.
Yeah... you would need to support it somehow... humm...

Are you planning on doing anything to the heatsink itself, or keep it stock nickle?
__________________
Rig: i7-4770k | 16gb G.Skill 2400mhz | Asrock Z87-Extreme6 | ASUS R9 290 CrossFire | SilverStone ST1000w | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840evo 120gb
Server: i3-3220
| 8gb G.Skill 1333mhz | Intel DH77DF | Bitfenix Prodigy | Antec EA550 Platinum | ~11tb
Networking etc: Linksys E4200 | Dell PowerConnect 2816 | Netgear DGN2200 (as AP)
My Trades
dorsy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 4:12 PM   #14
slipperyskip Thread Starter
Member
 
slipperyskip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorsy99 View Post
Yeah... you would need to support it somehow... humm...

Are you planning on doing anything to the heatsink itself, or keep it stock nickle?
The fins are actually aluminum and my primary goal is to keep from damaging them during construction. I can already see myself asking Silverstone for another.

If you are asking if I plan to paint the heatsink then the answer is no...not ever. I have had some pretty good luck with wood accented with aluminum like Level Eleven and Aerodyne. I'm thinking more of the same here.
__________________
slipperyskip.com
slipperyskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 5:21 PM   #15
sjp770
Member
 
sjp770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,188
Default

Amazing previous projects, very interested to see where this one goes!

Love the PSU PC, made my day!
__________________
Maelström - i7 5960X - R5E - 32Gb Avexir DDR4 2400 - Asus R9 290X - Corsair AX1200i - Samsung XP941 M.2 SSD - Aquaero 6 XT - Caselabs TH10A Reverse
sjp770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 4:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. -
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Internode!