Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Mobile Phones & Devices > Google Android (OS & Devices)

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 13th April 2013, 4:22 AM   #1
Sankari Thread Starter

Arrow Samsung unveils 6.3in Galaxy Mega smartphone

6.3", 199g... surely this is getting a bit ridiculous?

Quote:
Samsung has unveiled the biggest smartphone to date - the Galaxy Mega, which features a 6.3in (16cm) screen.

The firm suggested its size made it ideal for watching videos or running two apps alongside each other.

Samsung helped popularise the so-called "phablet" category - in which phones approach tablet dimensions - with its original 5.3in Galaxy Note in 2011.

That proved more popular than many expected, but one analyst suggested the latest device might be a step too far.

Samsung is marketing the Android-powered handset as having a high-definition screen - however, a spokesman was unable to confirm whether it supported 720p or the "full HD" 1080p resolution.
(Source).

Sankari is online now   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 13th April 2013, 9:08 AM   #2
Danthemanz
Old School Admin

I find it a bit of an odd release.
They have their popular Note series which has always been treated as their high-end premium part with a obvious refresh coming later in the year. I wonder where these sit?
Samsung's page lists it as "HD TFT", in other words, 720p LCD. (GS4 says Full HD)
Perhaps its more like the Samsung Grand, a cheaper mid ranged part made for more markets...

I read they are releasing this and a 5.8" version (just over Galaxy Note 2 size with less bezel perhaps?).

Without screen resolution, SOC (CPU) and radio details we dont really know what it is exactly.

I cant imagine they are going to sell too many 6.3" models.
My Note2 is often too big as it is, i love it to death when im commuting on the bus etc, but on the weekends im often dropping back to something a little more “pocketable” if im not carrying a bag.
That said, if all you want the Galaxy Note for is a highly portable 3G/4G tablet that can make or receive the odd phone call, why not go a bit bigger? Its just a small market.

Edit:

Taken from the "Features page"

Quote:
Both GALAXY Mega 6.3 and 5.8 run on the latest Android 4.2 Jelly Bean experience, and feature Dual Core Processor, spacious internal storage along with up to 64GB of expandable memory
I wouldnt be suprised if we dont see these released in Australia.

Last edited by Danthemanz; 13th April 2013 at 12:20 PM.
Danthemanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2013, 11:58 AM   #4
asher001

This is going to be a mid-range phone in terms of specs. I don't really see the appeal of it personally (as a note owner).
asher001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Danthemanz
Old School Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
Chipset Exynos 5250
CPU Dual-core 1.7 GHz Cortex-A15
GPU Mali-T604

Its no slouch!
Old 13th April 2013, 1:19 PM   #7
hamishbindrinki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I don't understand why they didn't go all the way with 1080p.
Thats for the next version. Increased screen resolution can certainly be used as a selling point when the actual screen size can't be realistically increased significantly as you start getting very close to tablet territory.
[OCAU Golf Addict Member#8 Weapons of choice:Taylor Made clubs. Callaway HX Tour Balls]
hamishbindrinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2013, 1:36 PM   #8
Cask

OK Samsung, I love you and all, and I love my Galaxy Nexus, but can we have the phone fit in our palms rather than in our gigantic supposedly cash filled pockets?
Cask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2013, 8:18 PM   #9
yellows2k

im really enjoying my note 2. and the mega 5.8 would only be a little bit bigger.
the 6.3 would be pushing the boundaries tho for me.
i dont use the note 2 to its full capabilities, so the mega wouldnt be missing much.
i think they didnt go full 1080p was the larger screen meant it would be really expensive, and they wanted this to be cheaper, under the note 2 and galaxy series phones
yellows2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 7:31 PM   #10
munka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cask View Post
OK Samsung, I love you and all, and I love my Galaxy Nexus, but can we have the phone fit in our palms rather than in our gigantic supposedly cash filled pockets?
You can, Galaxy S4 does that, and they released a galaxy S3 mini for those who thought that form factor was too big.

This is for people that want a phablet, not those that wanted a phone. I think their biggest strength is and always will be the range they offer.
munka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 11:06 PM   #11
Treggs

Releasing this makes perfect sense to me. It's not aimed at the demographic that frequent OCAU, it's aimed at their WAG's. This form factor is perfect for the handbag. I bought my wife a GNex and then a Nexus 7 (for ebooks) and the 6.3 would fit nicely in the middle as a one device solution and it wouldn't look completely ridiculous using it occasionally as a phone. Not that phones are being used as much as phones these days. The spec is perfectly acceptable but will also keep the price reasonable. I think these will sell very well with the fairer sex.

For those of us that carry our phones in pockets rather than handbags/manbags, I think my Nexus 4 form factor is about as big as you can go practically.
Intel 2600k @4.4Ghz | Asus P8Z68-V Pro | G-Skill 2133 Mhz 16gB | Silverstone FT-02B-W USB3 | Asus 6950 Direct CUII 2Gb | Thermalright Silver Arrow | ThermalTake ToughPower 775w | 2 x 2713HM| Logitech DiNovo for Notebooks | Logitech Performance MX
Treggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 10:44 PM   #12
MagyaR

Samsung have lost the plot, I hope https://www.change.org/petitions/and...high-end-specs has some merit.
MagyaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 11:10 AM   #13
Cask

Quote:
Originally Posted by munka View Post
You can, Galaxy S4 does that, and they released a galaxy S3 mini for those who thought that form factor was too big.

This is for people that want a phablet, not those that wanted a phone. I think their biggest strength is and always will be the range they offer.
Absolutely. I sit there and think "Hmmm...I really should use a tablet for this, but I can't be bothered hiking it everywhere with me" and so this would be the ultimate deal
Cask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 6:36 AM   #14
ronald_r32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treggs View Post
For those of us that carry our phones in pockets rather than handbags/manbags, I think my Nexus 4 form factor is about as big as you can go practically.
Only one pair of my shorts cant fit my Note 2, i think people under estimate how big pockets generally are.
ronald_r32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 2:42 PM   #15
Slugoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald_r32 View Post
Only one pair of my shorts cant fit my Note 2, i think people under estimate how big pockets generally are.
True. I've had a Note 1 before and that was pocketable, but not exactly the most comfortable to carry around. I can't image a 6.3" which would really be near impossible to carry in any pants/trouser pockets.

Which leads me to another question. Can a phone still be called a "phone" when it's not pocketable at all? 6.3" it's almost tab size....not a phablet anymore but a tabphone. Don't think many people would want that tbh. If you can carry a 6.3" device then I'm sure you can carry a 7" tab no problem.
Slugoid is offline   Reply With Quote