Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Hobby Engineering

Notices

Old 16th June 2013, 9:58 AM   #1
aXLe Thread Starter

Default 3D Printing Requests

This thread is for posting of requests for 3D printing work. Hopefully those on the forum that own or have access to a 3D printer will be able to respond to the request and give an idea of cost and whether they can take on the job.

I have a part that I would like printed - or at least to see what it would cost.

In my sig there is a link to my sim racing cockpit development worklog. I would like to get an idea what it would cost to print my steering wheel adapter plate. I can supply .STL files etc. The part is roughly 125mm x 102mm x 6mm. Anyone here able to give me an idea of cost and whether they can take the job on?

Last edited by aXLe; 17th June 2013 at 1:35 PM.
aXLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 11:30 AM   #2
TERRA Operative

I have a few. I need them printed in ABS with 100% fill (They need to be strong!).
Major grid lines are 10mm apart for scale, and I can supply them in almost any format required.

Old 16th June 2013, 3:42 PM   #3
eyebrow

The OpenLAB is about to offer this as a service.
Feel free to send through the details and we can quote.

info(at)openlab.com.au
eyebrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 7:07 AM   #4
Billzilla

I've got an UP 3D printer.
It'll do up to about a 120 mm cube in ABS. It uses STL file formats. $0.60 per gram plus postage.
Old 17th June 2013, 1:19 PM   #5
TERRA Operative

Hey Bill, do those shapes I posted look doable?
I'll have to work out their volume to see what it's worth....
Old 17th June 2013, 1:39 PM   #6
Mathuisella

Terra.

I have access to a couple of printers at uni. But they aren't large scale stuff...

Do you have overall dimensions of the parts ?
You can evidently see who here holds an attitude of trying to improve and happiness, as compared to the sourpusses that frequent here.
Mathuisella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 1:39 PM   #7
aXLe Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
I've got an UP 3D printer.
It'll do up to about a 120 mm cube in ABS. It uses STL file formats. $0.60 per gram plus postage.
Ok - if I plug ABS into Solidworks it tells me it is 69 grams - so it would be $41.40 plus postage.

cool - gives me something to work to - I'll see what it will cost to laser cut from aluminium plus counterbore the holes, and compare
Old 17th June 2013, 2:33 PM   #8
Gazob

Quote:
Originally Posted by aXLe View Post
This thread is for posting of requests for 3D printing work. Hopefully those on the forum that own or have access to a 3D printer will be able to respond to the request and give an idea of cost and whether they can take on the job.

I have a part that I would like printed - or at least to see what it would cost.

In my sig there is a link to my sim racing cockpit development worklog. I would like to get an idea what it would cost to print my steering wheel adapter plate. I can supply .STL files etc. The part is roughly 125mm x 102mm x 6mm. Anyone here able to give me an idea of cost and whether they can take the job on?
Its more about time then money, the material cost in the printed part is minimal, $5 at most, time wise, 30 minutes printing time, and to post, an A4 envelope, $2:50. Best guess $15-20 posted given you supply the STL and the part is as simple as the picure shows.

In ABS warping on a part this size may be an issue, but as its not thick would probably be okay. Strength would be the issue.

What sort of strength does this part need, looking at the picture I dont understand why you dont just cut a square of 3ply or Alluminium, and drill the appropriate holes.
Old 17th June 2013, 2:40 PM   #9
Gazob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRA Operative View Post
The first 2 parts have overhangs which may be tricky without support, support may affect the finish of the part, but as its external should be relatively easy to remove.

The third part would need to be printed with internal support that will probably be a b#$%^ to remove and clean up, or printed as 2 halves that are glued back together after they are printed.

The fourth part looks relatively easy.
Old 17th June 2013, 2:48 PM   #10
RyoSaeba

Quote:
The part is roughly 125mm x 102mm x 6mm.
I think you're better off getting it made from metal than ABS plastic. ABS is kinda brittle.
RyoSaeba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 4:40 PM   #11
aXLe Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyoSaeba View Post
I think you're better off getting it made from metal than ABS plastic. ABS is kinda brittle.
Yeah - I am getting it quoted in aluminium, which was my original design intent, but then I had a thought about having it printed as an option.
Old 17th June 2013, 4:42 PM   #12
aXLe Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazob View Post
Its more about time then money, the material cost in the printed part is minimal, $5 at most, time wise, 30 minutes printing time, and to post, an A4 envelope, $2:50. Best guess $15-20 posted given you supply the STL and the part is as simple as the picure shows.

In ABS warping on a part this size may be an issue, but as its not thick would probably be okay. Strength would be the issue.

What sort of strength does this part need, looking at the picture I dont understand why you dont just cut a square of 3ply or Alluminium, and drill the appropriate holes.
Yep - My original intent was to have it laser cut from aluminium. That is likely what I will still do, but I was curious about printing it instead.
Old 17th June 2013, 4:43 PM   #13
Billzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRA Operative View Post
Yeah they're all doable.
The only tricky one is the handle thingy -
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/h5yu.jpg

It's got a lot of empty space inside and the printer would need to create a removable structure to do it in one piece. As mentioned, it'd be better in two halves that you stick together.
If you want a smooth surface with ABS, all you have to do is give it a wipe a couple of times with a clean rag soaked in acetone. Comes up pretty good after that.

Quote:
Ok - if I plug ABS into Solidworks it tells me it is 69 grams - so it would be $41.40 plus postage.

cool - gives me something to work to - I'll see what it will cost to laser cut from aluminium plus counterbore the holes, and compare
It'd be lighter than that as the printer doesn't print solid, it makes an internal matrix mesh type thing. I can't print a completely solid object I can only vary the amount of 'infill' as they call it. The finished product is usually pretty strong.
If you want to send me the STL files so I can give a quote I am happy to delete them after either the quote or printing so they remain yours.
Email me if you like.
Old 17th June 2013, 7:08 PM   #14
TERRA Operative

Printing in two halves is fine. I can slice it myself and send two files (I think it is symmetrical). I can finish the parts no worries. I just need the shape to start from.

Here are the dimensions and volumes of the parts (weights for ABS, 100% fill)

- Yellow trigger - 30 x 12 x 40 mm, 6 cm^3, 6.5 grams
- Orange horseshoe - 115 x 80 x 30 mm, 50 cm^3, 54 grams
- Green handle - 110 x 135 x 20, 90 cm^3, 96 grams
- Orange star - 70 x 80 x 40mm, 71 cm^3, 76 grams
Old 17th June 2013, 7:15 PM   #15
SLATYE
SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Quote:
Yep - My original intent was to have it laser cut from aluminium. That is likely what I will still do, but I was curious about printing it instead.
You might want to look at getting it laser cut from acrylic instead. Aluminium is a pain in the neck to laser cut because it conducts the heat away so effectively. As a result, laser cutting it is going to be an expensive exercise. Acrylic is straightforward to cut and still stronger than printed ABS.