Overclockers Australia Forums
OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 16th August 2013, 9:43 AM   #1
bobster Thread Starter

Default Asus ROG Gene VI vs cheaper MB + Xonar DSX?

Hiya,

I am building a new computer just because it is fun (current build in signature), I am just downsizing a bit.

My current MSI Z87 G45 Gaming has ALC1150 with headphone preamp (not that I ever use headphone) but produces a decent sound, far better than 898 and 892 but with the rebuild I wanted to upgrade the sound again.

I thought the Asus GENE VI would be a good upgrade sound wise but I hear that the Supreme FX maybe a lot more software driven than I would like so the dilema is would the Asus Z87 Gryphon with a Asus Xonar DSX sound better than the Gene VI.

I have never owned a GENE mobo so any input would be great.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 16th August 2013, 1:01 PM   #2
xRdawGz

Put it this way.
A sound card is almost always better than inbuilt ones. Also depends on other factors. What headphones are you using? What speakers (if any).

For most people, they can't tell the difference between minor changes in sound quality with their average audio gear. So it wouldn't be any point in spending more money on sound card/mobo if the hardware you already have can't handle it.
xRdawGz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 2:47 PM   #3
bobster Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRdawGz View Post
Put it this way.
A sound card is almost always better than inbuilt ones. Also depends on other factors. What headphones are you using? What speakers (if any).

For most people, they can't tell the difference between minor changes in sound quality with their average audio gear. So it wouldn't be any point in spending more money on sound card/mobo if the hardware you already have can't handle it.
Speaker only for me,

May sell my Swiftech H220, if I do I will be contacting you for some XSPC gear
Old 16th August 2013, 4:40 PM   #4
terrastrife

If the Gene 6 has the dedicated audio area with the separated ground, it's probably good as the Xonar but with more features. What speakers are you using? Unless you're using audiophile grade stuff you probably won't hear the difference between the Xonar and decent on board.
Old 16th August 2013, 5:20 PM   #5
ProfoundBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrastrife View Post
Unless you're using audiophile grade stuff you probably won't hear the difference between the Xonar and decent on board.
True.

From my HTIB speakers, they all sound largely the same.

But with my ATH 900D headphones - the sound stage is crisper with any dedicated card. Even with my current space saving SB 5.1 USB pro, it sounds better than onboard.

But since you aren't a headphone guy, you'll be good to go either way.

I personally buy add on cards because I need features like Dolby Digital live or DTS via Toslink if I want 5.1 in games.

If whatever reason the obnoard isn't what you need, there's plenty of add ons available. Other MB features are more important when deciding which mobo.
ProfoundBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 9:51 AM   #6
bobster Thread Starter

I need an asus board with fan expert 2 because I want to turn of most the fans when the system is on idle rest of the features I am. It to fussed about wifi and sound cards can be added in but the Gene meant I can go dual gfx that all since it has decent sound and the mini pcie for wifi