OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Troubleshooting Help

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 8th September 2013, 9:48 AM   #1
donigan Thread Starter

Default Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H Problems

Hi,

I've been having a bit of trouble with my setup since I upgraded to Haswell about a month ago. Originally the problem was that once at the windows loading screen the motherboard would power down the USB ports, nothing I did would fix it so I reinstalled windows. That fixed the power down issue but I kept getting random blue screens and when I used a blue screen reader It said it was a USB problem.

It seems that the drivers are the cause of the problem because once they are installed the USB ports power down once at the windows loading screen, without the drivers the USB ports are fine.

The second problem happened while I was trying to fix the USB issue. For some reason my SSD (Intel 520 Series) wasn't being detected by the motherboard, no matter what I did it wouldn't detect it. I ended up flashing the new bios (F7, I originally had F3), the new bios fixed the SSD issue and installing the new USB drivers off Gigabytes website fixed the USB issue, but not completely. Sometimes on boot the power down issue would still occur but a reset would fix it.

Last night I was playing Far Cry 3 and the sound cut out, then about 10 seconds later the computer locked up and all I could do is reset it. Once I reset it the SSD is now not detected again, I've tried unplugging the data and power cables and plugging them back in, I pressed the reset cmos button and have switched the power supply off and removed the battery and it's still not detected.

I decided to install windows on my HDD to see if windows would be able to see it but now I've run into the USB issue again. This time there is no bios update to flash and the latest drivers off the website don't fix the problem.

When I boot into safe mode, the USB ports work as normal, reboot to normal mode and they power off once at the loading screen. I can uninstall the drivers in safe mode (which I will do now) but I'm thinking I'll have problems with random blue screens again.

I ran some SSD life program to tell me what the condition the SSD was in when I first got everything working again and it said it was 100% fine so I'm not thinking the SSD is dead either.
CPU: Intel i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz|MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H|Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws Z (2x4gb) @ 2400mhz|GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked|PSU: Corsair TX750 v2|HDD: Intel 120gb 520 Series|2xSeagate Barracuda 2tb
Watercooling: EK Supreme HF|Aquacomputer Kryographics|RX360|RX240|D5 Vario|Phobya Balancer 250 Res

Last edited by donigan; 24th September 2013 at 1:41 PM.
donigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 8th September 2013, 10:28 AM   #2
donigan Thread Starter

I had to do a system restore, I'm now back in normal mode and have installed all my drivers except for the USB ones, will see how i go with blue screens.

My SSD isn't detected in windows disk manager either, which I kind of thought might happen seeing as though the BIOS doesn't detect it.
CPU: Intel i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz|MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H|Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws Z (2x4gb) @ 2400mhz|GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked|PSU: Corsair TX750 v2|HDD: Intel 120gb 520 Series|2xSeagate Barracuda 2tb
Watercooling: EK Supreme HF|Aquacomputer Kryographics|RX360|RX240|D5 Vario|Phobya Balancer 250 Res
Old 9th September 2013, 5:48 AM   #3
donigan Thread Starter

Should I be worried about this guys? Look at the 12v voltage in Hardware Monitor, the 5v and 3.3v rails seem to be out of spec too.

Old 9th September 2013, 11:16 AM   #4
robbo2

What SSD is it mate? They can just die like that, particularly if it's OCZ lol. Also with the power supply the readings can be off with software. Pretty sure you can check them in the bios.
Old 9th September 2013, 11:22 AM   #5
donigan Thread Starter

Will have a look in the bios and see if I can find them. The SSD is an Intel 520 series, it's only just over a year old. I'm going to pull it out today and put it in a caddy I have spare and see if I can detect it through USB both at home and here at work.
Old 9th September 2013, 8:01 PM   #6
donigan Thread Starter

Voltages are fine in the BIOS. I pulled the SSD out and put it in my caddy and windows disk manager can see it but says it's not initialised. When I click initialise the disk I get an error message saying the device is not ready. I guess that means the SSD is dead does it? I'm not having a good run with SSD's, if this one is dead this will be the second one in 2 years.
Old 10th September 2013, 10:57 AM   #7
robbo2

I'd say she's toast mate.
Old 10th September 2013, 5:24 PM   #8
donigan Thread Starter

Yeah I connected it to 3 different computers at work today and none of them even detected it. It was making a weird chirping sound when it was connected too, never heard anything like it before lol.
Old 24th September 2013, 1:40 PM   #9
donigan Thread Starter

Latest drivers on Gigabyte's website seem to have fixed the USB issue, SSD is being replaced too.