Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Musicians

Notices

Old 7th June 2014, 2:28 AM   #1
Willybomb Thread Starter

Default Worklog - NE-1 Random Stranger. Bass Preamp Pedal.

Gudday all. Just finished a bass pedal project as I've sold all my amps and replaced them with a single powered PA speaker/wedge - an 800watt (sure) Alto thing I picked up from cashies for ~$400.

So, I needed something to shape the bass (the guitar one is coming next, although the amp emulated output on my HT-dual sounds just great through it anyway) as I didn't have anything for it besides a tuner pedal.

So, we have:
The Yamaha NE-1 bass preamp on vero, thanks to Paulinthelab,
Mictestors Really Cheap Compressor on vero, modified for bass, thanks to Freestompboxes and Mictestor.
A madbean Sprout etch, thanks to Haberdasher on the Madbean forums.
A balanced output pcb thanks to THCustom effects.

I tried it compressor->fuzz->preamp but got a squeal for some reason. I swapped to fuzz->compressor->preamp and got rid of the squeal. There was still a faint weird noise there that I got rid of by adding some power filtering.

So, anyway, I now have a decent bass frontend in a single pedal. The NE-1 has a frequency sweep, along with a notch switch for flat, shallow, or deep, and I can output the whole thing to a desk and an amp thanks to the xlr out and the line driver pcb.

The fuzz isn't the best, but it's just there for a bit of fun and bedroom Hysteria riffing.

On with the pics. Sorry about the old phone pics. Can't seem to get a decent pic of it.

Drilled 1590DD enclosure.

Painted (by me) and laser etched (by the local trophy shop).

Clearcoat over the etch, would have preferred not to, but it was marking too easy.

Gutshot.

Outsides.

Thanks for reading,
Willy.

30+ successful trades and counting
Offical OCAU Musicians Guild Member #15 OCAU Guitar Players club
Willybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 10:04 AM   #2
cleary
Mental in the Face

Thanks for posting this up - I'm a big fan of the bass/preamp/pa compact rig, and generally only rehearse with my sadowsky stompbox which is a little outboard preamp.
if you don't mind me asking, what sort of price did this build end up coming to?
The only other thing I would've thought about wedging in there would've been a tuner
cleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 12:42 AM   #3
Willybomb Thread Starter

Lol, the Shadowsky was a preamp I was looking at building when I was checking out veros for this purpose.

Hmm.. good question. This was built over the course of 8 months or so on and off so I'm a bit hazy.

The most expensive parts are the pots and the enclosure, if you go through, say, Jaycar. I ended up just wanting to finish this, so I picked up the DD from them instead of pedalpartsaustralia.com (with whom I have a large order I'm waiting to get the $$ to pay for!) for around $18, iirc.

The line driver ICs were fairly expensive, around $7 each. The only place I could find them was element14, but as I placed an order with the local Jaycar, they sourced them for me (from element14 I believe!)

The line driver PCB was ~$7 +PP.
http://diy.thcustom.com/shop/balance...iver-v1-0-pcb/

Probably say, $2 per pot.

The jacks and general hardware... maybe $15 as the xlr socket was pretty exxy.

The stomps are expensive if you go via jaycar, $11 each. I got 10 off ebay for ~$18 iirc, free shipping, but took a month to get here. Pedalpartsaustralia has them for $3.50 each.

The laser etch was $12...

You're probably looking at $20-$25 for all the components inc LED bezels ect. Maybe a bit more.

Then there's the paint too. The etching primer and clearcoat are supposed to be pretty good, and are actually the easiest and best rattlecans I've used, so looking at $20 there roughly.

The sprout PCB I had lying around from a pedal workshop I did last year, but they were $6 ($5?) each from Haberdasher on the Madbean forums. You could easy build that on vero though.

So, not super cheap really, and for the time that went into building it, not a quick build.

It'll go on a small pedalboard with a tuner next to it. I could probably rehouse one in there, but a DD isn't *that* big comparatively, lol, maybe 7inches wide. I'm also going to build a custom powersupply for the board to power those two.

30+ successful trades and counting
Offical OCAU Musicians Guild Member #15 OCAU Guitar Players club
Willybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 9:11 PM   #4
cleary
Mental in the Face

Thanks for all that info - I'm not sure what sort of price I was expecting but that seems like it came out pretty cheap. Discount the etching etc since it's an optional (but it does make it look a million bucks) and it seems very reasonable to me for the amount you've packed in
cleary is offline   Reply With Quote