OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Game Consoles

Notices

Old 16th July 2014, 10:49 PM   #1
|Renegade| Thread Starter

Arrow Race for Charity - the ultimate sim endurance race! [Agg Approved]

Greetings OCAU!
This thread has been Agg approved.

As we were advised on last Wednesday's news post, there was a world record set for the longest time playing a racing game.

With some greatly encouraging comments on the news post, I went into the stages of planning.

One week later and many phone calls and discussions, I am pleased to announce:

Introduction

You all know me as |Renegade| and I like the name, but my real name is James. In my lifetime, I'd say I've had my fair share of good and bad. One part of my life that does stand out is that I have not been homeless once - but twice, and both times occurred before I was even 25. I don't have any talking terms with my family, so any time I had a friend who supported me, I felt the urge to really return the favour. I've had close calls and very closely avoided getting too deep in bad situations with drugs and alcohol. It has been over 4 years since all the darker times. I couldn't have done it without my friends and my youth hostel workers to look out for me when I needed them. Needless to say, I owe them my life.

Sadly, not everyone is as lucky as me. Many find themselves "falling through the cracks of society" and feel like there is no other life for them. I would like to be a contributor to getting behind a cause that helps people out in these situations. I believe that Youth Off The Streets is helping towards this cause.

Much like many of us - I love cars. The ultimate endurance race - 24 hours of Le Mans - is admirable on so many levels. By simply uttering the words 'Le Mans', I can guarantee that you at least once think of a radical prototype car. But sadly, a lot of us are never that lucky to have the driving skill, the finance or the fame to slot ourselves into these prestigious races. Thankfully, we have games that give us some of the thrills involved with endurance racing.

When I saw the record broken in Mariokart, I certainly found respect for the four guys that pulled it off, but I knew straight away that it was worth taking it one step further in the interest of charity. Here we are.

[/CENTER]

Console: Playstation 3 PC!
Peripherals: Logitech G27
Game choice: Project Cars
Car selection: TBA
Race type: Endurance - 24 hours (a 48 hours race will be held once we can meet the Guinness criteria)
Race schedule: Nurburgring - 24 hours or Le Mans Track - 24 hours.
Rules: Le Mans endurance race rules. (as close as possible).
Online steaming: Twitch TV

FAQ

How many drivers are participating?
We have three, including myself.
TBA - we are hoping to call on more people for this shortly. STAY TUNED!

How will you be racing?
We will be racing to "as close to" Le Mans driver regulations as possible. This means we need to swap drivers only when we've entered the pits. We will only be allowed to choose one car for both races and pausing the game will be forbidden except in a legitimate emergency.

Are you making any money out of this?
All proceeds are running directly through the 'My Cause' donations generation website for Youth Off The Streets.

Currently Pending

Donations: Any amount will do! Help contribute towards our cause!

Venue: TBA shortly!

Additional furniture required: Tables? Additional Chairs? (very venue dependent). Agg has very kindly offered a race chassis for us and will most likely take him up on his offer in a week or two.

Race helmets: Y/N

Display: We currently do have a TV we can use, but if we can get our hands on a good projector or have a TV already supplied at a venue that would save some space!

Additional webcam: My current laptop has a pretty substandard webcam, so getting my hands on something with better quality for the stream would be ideal. If you have one you would like to let us borrow one that's got some pretty good image quality, please get in contact.

Streaming Device: We haven't bought one yet, but we will if we need to. Our preferred device will be the AverMedia C875 Live Gamer Portable. I am seeking further input in regards to this, or if anyone might have one they would be happy to lend for our race.

Youtube channel: Pending first video creation.

Driver Regulation: As BioNiKaL has pointed out, Le Mans drivers have a maximum 4 hour stint.

Status Log

14.07.14 - Submitted to Guinness World Records to confirm if there is currently a record for 'Longest Endurance Race completed in a racing game'.

15.07.14 - Have contacted multiple companies being used that are associated with this challenge and have not officially received any response as of yet.

16.07.14 - Posting on OCAU with Agg's permission to get our race out to OCAU and help us with our currently pending issues. Thanks Agg

17.07.14 - In honour of Madengineer's original post on this idea, we've agreed that he'll be a spectator and a fallback driver!

30.07.14 - I've contacted Logitech directly just moments ago as a walk-in. Depending on the outcomes, we hope to bring you some very good news shortly.

13.08.14 - I've been having a lot of chats lately and we've had a bit of a big overhaul. The 48 hour race will be temporarily postponed while we utilise endurance racing that will be available with the Project Cars game. It's very important to acknowledge that this doesn't mean we have given up on it. Guinness has some very strict regulations on confirming records, so we intend to get us on the map by running a 24 hour event first. With this event will come an additional surprise which we'll announce soon.

26.08.14 Update Here

Last edited by |Renegade|; 15th September 2014 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Massive update!
|Renegade| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 11:04 PM   #2
Madengineer

I feel like you stole my thunder. Lol

But anyway, happy my suggestion was actually taken seriously

I just wish I could come up for it. (I might be able to if a venue is secured)
Old 17th July 2014, 6:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madengineer View Post
I feel like you stole my thunder. Lol

But anyway, happy my suggestion was actually taken seriously

I just wish I could come up for it. (I might be able to if a venue is secured)
It created a storm! No robbing intended! It's surprising how much has to be planned for it!

I'll keep you posted RE: venue to see if it's possible to have something a little bit closer to you.
Old 17th July 2014, 10:25 AM   #4
Madengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Renegade| View Post
It created a storm! No robbing intended! It's surprising how much has to be planned for it!

I'll keep you posted RE: venue to see if it's possible to have something a little bit closer to you.
Replied to your pms

Such an exciting time!
Old 28th July 2014, 11:11 AM   #5

Phwoar. What a week. I've been working double time at work to get everything together.
Still working the kinks on an introductory video. I've continued to call on communities, companies for any potential venues.
I've taken annual leave for the next two days to really get everything into the swing of things. Will be paying a few companies a visit to sit down and negotiate some terms of venue.

I've secured a domain - (raceforcharity.com.au) which simply redirects to the MyCause site for now. With any luck, I should have a full site setup in the next week.

I'll update the original post on Thursday with clearer details.
Old 7th August 2014, 9:52 AM   #6

I love the smell of Guinness E-mails in the morning:

Old 9th August 2014, 1:21 AM   #7
Chamelion

That's awesome.. What I wouldn't give to be a part of something like this.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 8:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
That's awesome.. What I wouldn't give to be a part of something like this.
I'm tinkering away at the best pace I can, there's still a lot to do and I do know in the not too distant future I'll be calling on some help.

I know it sounds cliche, but I'm still campaigning that donating will not only help towards the cause, but help generate momentum to be more publicly recognized. It's our best hope at the moment!
Old 14th August 2014, 9:56 AM   #9

Massive Update:
In light of some recent revelations, I've updated the forum post.

- We're going to be calling on anyone and everyone for more support very soon and in more ways than one.

- We've pushed the 48 hour race to an initial 24 hour race due to both venue restrictions and also to continue getting more public exposure. Who knows, maybe Race For Charity will become an annual thing! Note this does NOT mean we're throwing in the towel for the 48 hour race. This will be happening, but we need the right media attention.

- We have a website! raceforcharity.com.au is officially live!
Old 14th August 2014, 3:32 PM   #10
iinsom

Where abouts are you at?

Id be keen on getting involved in someway.
Old 14th August 2014, 3:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by iinsom View Post
Where abouts are you at?

Id be keen on getting involved in someway.
We're in Sydney and with the way this is going, we're going to be having more than one team in Australia getting on board.

Where do you hail from iinsom?
Old 14th August 2014, 4:16 PM   #12
iinsom

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Renegade| View Post
We're in Sydney and with the way this is going, we're going to be having more than one team in Australia getting on board.

Where do you hail from iinsom?
Western Sydney, Penrith area.
Old 14th August 2014, 4:58 PM   #13
BioNiKaL

Another sydney guy, Race fan, sim racer and fan of this cause.

Will be happy to attend/help however possible!
the 'WTF am i doing' MR2 project log
"fuck the poor people" - Bill Shorten
BioNiKaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 7:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by iinsom View Post
Western Sydney, Penrith area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioNiKaL View Post
Another sydney guy, Race fan, sim racer and fan of this cause.

Will be happy to attend/help however possible!
I'll keep you all posted - I have everything really "up in the air" just at the moment, I'm waiting on some confirmations and hopefully I can come bearing some pretty awesome news.

Btw BioNiKaL - I'm a real sucker for those old MR2's.
Old 15th August 2014, 8:12 AM   #15
BioNiKaL

Le Mans states: Maximum allowed time for an individual driver is 4 hours per stint.

From wiki

Quote:
By the 1990s, due to the speeds of the cars and the strain it put on drivers, further rules were added to improve driver safety. Drivers could not drive more than four hours consecutively, and no one driver could run for more than fourteen hours in total. This reduced driver fatigue during the races.
After 4 hours I think you'll be itching to get out of there and stretch your legs

Generally the Le Mans guys will do 1.5ish - 2hours doing double stints (4hrs) on occasion.
the 'WTF am i doing' MR2 project log
"fuck the poor people" - Bill Shorten
BioNiKaL is offline   Reply With Quote