Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 11th September 2014, 10:07 AM   #1
Frontl1ne Thread Starter

Default AMD’s Next Gen x86 High Performance Core is Code Named “Zen”

http://wccftech.com/breaking-amds-ge...zen-debut-k12/

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD
Everyone knows that Bulldozer was not the game changing part when it was introduced three years ago. We have to live with that for four years but Zen, K12 we went out and got Jim Keller we went out and got Raja Koduri from Apple, Mark Papermaster, Lisa sue. We are building now our next generation graphics and compute technology that customers are very interested in and they’ll ( referring to the next generation graphics and compute architecture) move to the next generation node and they’ll be ready to go.
CHOO CHOO!!! HERE COMES THE HYPE TRAIN!!!
Frontl1ne is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 11th September 2014, 5:04 PM   #2
glimmerman

gonna flop - you heard it here first
Im going to go over there and suck some dick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broden View Post
another quality post from glimmerman!
glimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 6:05 AM   #3
TaroT

we,ll get back to you in 2016 when they release it
but honestly with that dude running it I can see it doing well(well at least have a chance)

problem is in the time it takes them to get it on the shelves what will inhell come up with.
Old 12th September 2014, 11:02 AM   #4
dragonFLAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaroT View Post
we,ll get back to you in 2016 when they release it
but honestly with that dude running it I can see it doing well(well at least have a chance)

problem is in the time it takes them to get it on the shelves what will inhell come up with.
Intel hasn't really pushed the envlope recently it seems, 5% here and there.

Bring back the old AMD, underdog for life!
dragonFLAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 1:33 PM   #5
Gonadman2

They need to drop the 'A' from AMD.

False advertising is what it is!
Gonadman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 9:46 PM   #6
SLATYE
SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonFLAME View Post
Intel hasn't really pushed the envlope recently it seems, 5% here and there.
Hasn't really been much need. The cheapest LGA1155 Celeron is way, way more than enough processing power for most people these days. Even for gaming, a mid-range Core i5 does a perfectly good job. Better to save on the CPU and get a quick GPU and SSD instead.

If AMD can beat Intel's top-end CPUs then that'll be great marketing, but (as always) what they actually need is something that competes with Intel's mid-range. Better performance with lower cost and lower power is critical.

Of course, if they can repeat the K8 and offer a mid-range CPU that out-performs Intel's top-end, with lower-power than any non-mobile Intel CPU, that'll be even better.
Old 14th September 2014, 12:24 AM   #7
2_stroke

They dug up Steve Jobs and started a campaign of making amd look cool, apple tactics?
Bought from: h$v, epo299, tangcla, Gillyske, winterstide, jboles, nooobs,Sainter4Life, auron1
stop listing years ago just way to many trades lol
2_stroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 10:16 AM   #8
vid_ghost

2016!! to release a CPU that has 25% more performance then that they have on sale now! IDIOTS!! They are all idiots before they waste another 2 years on a FLOP!!

AMD should “just die shrink of Phenom II to 20nm, make it 8 core and sell it”

People have been asking for this for the past 4 years LOL AMD thinks they are so smart and know best.. They have proven time and time again they know jack all..They even released a 220W CPU and is hardly faster then a 5 year old 45nm 6 core Chip "they" created that runs at 125W

AMD Phenom II on a smaller 28nm 2014 CPU Node would blow away anything AMD has on the market today!

Last edited by vid_ghost; 16th September 2014 at 10:19 AM.
vid_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 9:06 PM   #9
dirtyd

Yeah, it's so simple, why didn't AMD think of that? They've only been fabricating semiconductors for 45 years, what would they know?

The Phenom architecture was end of life, it was at the end of a 10 year stretch from K7 onwards, and doing a die-shrink is nowhere near as simple as you seem to think. They had to replace it with something, and a combination of factors contributed to the failure of Bulldozer.

The main problem is, once you've committed to something like changing the entire architecture that all your future derivative CPU's are based on, if you choose wrong there's not a lot you can do about it in the medium term, because CPU architectures are complicated (to say the least) and take a very long time to conceptualise, design, and verify.

Choosing a new architecture which will enable iterative improvements as manufacturing processes mature and then scale down is incredibly speculative work.

On top of that they had contracts with GlobalFoundries that forced them to buy a specific amount of fab capacity, whether or not they needed it, which drained cash that could have been spent on R&D. This was exacerbated by GlobalFoundries failing to hit timelines which delayed their already sub-par releases even further.

You also appear to be ignorant of the work they're doing with heterogenous compute. No other company has APU's that can do what AMD's are capable of, in terms of memory sharing and context switching between CPU and GPU, as well as the audio capabilities. There is a reason why Sony and Microsoft both chose AMD for their latest consoles, and it's not because "they know jack all". Intel and Nvidia simply haven't invested the resources into this area, there is no competition.

Lastly, Bobcat and it's derivatives are a much more successful architecture, managing to compete with Intel's chips in the low power segments whilst being a full node behind on process tech, which is pretty impressive.

Bulldozer was obviously not a success, but that is not a reason to assume that their next architecture will fail. Getting people like Jim Keller and Raja Kaduri back (they are both ex-AMD/ATI) can't really hurt, they have proven track records.
"It is worthy of remark that a belief constantly inculcated during the early years of life, whilst the brain is impressible, appears to acquire almost the nature of an instinct; and the very essence of an instinct is that it is followed independently of reason." - Charles Darwin | trustworthy traders
dirtyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 2:08 AM   #10
Domokun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd View Post
There is a reason why Sony and Microsoft both chose AMD for their latest consoles...
I just assumed it was a cost issue. AMD was able to provide an adequate solution at a cheaper cost than competitors.
Old 30th October 2014, 9:10 PM   #11
SLATYE
SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domokun View Post
I just assumed it was a cost issue. AMD was able to provide an adequate solution at a cheaper cost than competitors.
Well, yes. But AMD were able to offer a cheaper solution because they're the only company that's got a really good integrated CPU and GPU.

The alternative would have been an Intel CPU and an nVidia GPU. The chips alone would probably cost more (having to buy two chips from two suppliers instead of one chip from one supplier). Then there's more RAM (so the CPU and GPU can have their own RAM), a much more complicated PCB (to handle two chips and the extra RAM, plus communications for all of them), a larger heatsink (to cover two chips), higher failure rates in manufacturing (due to the higher complexity), and so on. Plus the initial lawyers (I'd imagine that contract negotiations for a many-million-dollar project are not cheap) and engineering (persuading the Intel CPU and nVidia GPU to play nice).

Or they could just buy an AMD chip. One chip, plus a bit of RAM. Simple PCB, AMD probably handed them a reference design for the PCB to save time there, a single chip to keep cool, etc.
Old 20th December 2014, 12:04 PM   #12
mixsetup

Wonder what socket they will be?
AMD FX-8150, ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional Motherboard,MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G , GeIL 16GB Kit DDR3 Evo Potenza @ 2133MHz, Sandisk Ulta II 240GB SSD, 2 X 2TB SATA3 HDD, 2TB NAS , 1TB SATA3, 2 X 2TB external HDD, LG Blu-Ray RW
mixsetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 3:52 PM   #13
m1one

Default Unfortunately

AMD has a proven track record of what they know !
And it only has one or two shinning stars , the rest is
And please don't come back with the budget stuff ..

Often it is hard to see what is right under your nose , and even worse for fanboys to see it first and call for it - now that would make AMD look right silly would it not ..

Give the consumer what they want - oh and wait - maybe be a intel killer ! Geez Louise , you cant have that !

And the simple fact is , that's what intel did .. Slap two dual cores together and viola , a AMD killer .. It was so simple , so silly an idea , it almost bankrupted AMD . So why is it crazy or nuts to put two quads together for a 8 core , shrink the die as much as possible , and maybe create a decent CPU .

Ok so maybe it wont be a true 8 core , maybe the MB and OS will see 2x quads , does anyone really care ? As long as it pumps !
How about 4x Dual cores .. OS and MB see 4 dual core CPU's .. ????
That could Pump some life back into AMD .. As well maybe some more FPS in games ..

Me thinks AMD is short on imagination , and even shorter on delivering .
My CPU is so freaking old now , its the oldest CPU I have ever had .
Im supposed to wait for AMD to come to the party how many more years ...

I have money for a new puter , I want some power NOW! I have waited and waited and waited and waited and IM getting older , my hair has grey in it .

Seriously , AMD can get stuffed .

A fanboy no more ...
Old 20th December 2014, 6:43 PM   #14
James086

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1one View Post
AMD has a proven track record of what they know !
And it only has one or two shinning stars , the rest is
And please don't come back with the budget stuff ..

Often it is hard to see what is right under your nose , and even worse for fanboys to see it first and call for it - now that would make AMD look right silly would it not ..

Give the consumer what they want - oh and wait - maybe be a intel killer ! Geez Louise , you cant have that !

And the simple fact is , that's what intel did .. Slap two dual cores together and viola , a AMD killer .. It was so simple , so silly an idea , it almost bankrupted AMD . So why is it crazy or nuts to put two quads together for a 8 core , shrink the die as much as possible , and maybe create a decent CPU .

Ok so maybe it wont be a true 8 core , maybe the MB and OS will see 2x quads , does anyone really care ? As long as it pumps !
How about 4x Dual cores .. OS and MB see 4 dual core CPU's .. ????
That could Pump some life back into AMD .. As well maybe some more FPS in games ..

Me thinks AMD is short on imagination , and even shorter on delivering .
My CPU is so freaking old now , its the oldest CPU I have ever had .
Im supposed to wait for AMD to come to the party how many more years ...

I have money for a new puter , I want some power NOW! I have waited and waited and waited and waited and IM getting older , my hair has grey in it .

Seriously , AMD can get stuffed .

A fanboy no more ...
AMD gets torn to shreds on IPC, what you are suggesting is what they are doing already. Brute-forcing performance by adding more cores or higher clockspeed requires more power and you end up with products like the FX 9590 which is pretty consistently beaten by Intel's 4770K while the Intel uses about 1/3 of the power (Link). They need to improve their IPC but Intel has billions of dollars more to put into R&D so AMD looks likely to never catch up. It's a shame, but AMD can hardly be said to be "not trying".
Old 20th December 2014, 7:32 PM   #15
m1one

Default Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by James086 View Post
AMD gets torn to shreds on IPC, what you are suggesting is what they are doing already. Brute-forcing performance by adding more cores or higher clockspeed requires more power and you end up with products like the FX 9590 which is pretty consistently beaten by Intel's 4770K while the Intel uses about 1/3 of the power (Link). They need to improve their IPC but Intel has billions of dollars more to put into R&D so AMD looks likely to never catch up. It's a shame, but AMD can hardly be said to be "not trying".
The power thing , why you shrink cores ..
I know its hard to shrink a 8 core for AMD , to get the power levels down ..
Would it not be easier to shrink a quad , or a dual core die ..
And rather than trying to make a 8 core cpu that's a true 8 core ( CHEAT ) like intel did ..

Was it the Q6600 that was like all the rage for so so long .
I built one for a friend , and for years it just roosted me for Video encoding ..
What took 10 minutes for the Q6600 took half an hour for my top of the range AMD at the time .. And things have not changed ..

I built my friend a i5 system , and it just kills my AMD in almost everything , and that's at stock clocks VS my 1090 @ 4GHZ .. It hasn't been a contest for the longest time ..

Oh well , I don't know if I want to buy another CPU , the 6 core is cheap enough , the 8 core runs 4ghz stock .. My 1090 is just about over the hill having being pushed hard for so long ..

I don't know , maybe a 8 core ( Last one ) and I might grind the heat spreader off the 1090 and see if a custom fitted head spreader does something for it .. One last hurrah , see if I cant push the 1090 past 5ghz on air .. But it is getting tired , 4 years @ 4ghz , Ive never had a 4 year old CPU before .. Its survived 3 mother boards and 2 sets of ram ...

I thought I would be doing 5GHZ + on air by now ...