Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Mobile Phones & Devices > Google Android (OS & Devices)

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 15th November 2014, 6:33 PM   #1
Revenger Thread Starter

Arrow The Android Gaming Thread

This is the consolidated thread for all things related to Android gaming.
This thread is not just about posting and sharing cool games but is intended for discussion of all things related to Android gaming and what's going on with devices companies etc.

For games when you post please indicate gamepad support and microtransaction model where applicable.
* This is for us that want to connect our devices to a TV or gamepad and play games the traditional way.

Terms:
==================================================
Premium *feeling* - This is the term used for mobile gaming used to describe quality games that play, feel and are developed like a proper standard game you would get on a PC or console.
Freemium - This is the term used for free games that use in-app purchases.
In-App Purchases - Where developers usually charge for things like power levelling etc to speed up your game-play so game-play is faster or to remove very long sometimes 24 hour waiting restrictions for upgrades & production etc so things are done instantly, DLC is not usually done this way with developers preferring to create and charge for new game variants with that content instead of adding it on.
Free to Play - Exactly the same as Freemium with a slight difference that this term is well known as you can play 'start up' the game for free but to get anywhere it costs real money or takes a lot of grind.
Pay to Win - A term used to described free to play games with over the top restrictions that require purchases to remove them like being limited to dig 1 block per 24 hours or games loaded with paid power-ups that you give you massive advantages over other players.

Controllers:
Still not that common, some games now support controllers instead of touch controls, the most compatible game controllers are listed below.

Moga Controller
- This seems to be a game controller of choice for android developers with more and more supported titles.
- There are a few models listed on game webpages the Pro model seems to be the most compatible from my looking.

Xbox360 (Usually Wired)
- Was the first fully supported controller and is still popular amongst developers.

PS3 Controller (Bluetooth)
- Not as supported as the Xbox controller but some games do support it.

Android Hardware good for gaming:

Other Android Stuff here:

Adblock Apps
- We know they exist and what they do for games, don't talk about adblockers in this thread unless you want a ban.
- An alternative in some cases is disabling internet connection, Please correct me on this in thread if this is wrong.

Google Play Games
- Similar to the community system on Steam etc
- Community focused.
- Achievements and with in game rewards.
- XP system for player ranking based on achievements.
- Share your game experiences with mates.
- Matchmaking system for multiplayer games based on rank.
- Seems to only list games you got from the play store.
- Appears that you need to connect the game to your Google account to use Play Games features.

Official Google Play list, Pay once Play forever
- Official list of Pay once Play forever games
- These games have a initial cost with NO Microtransactions at all what you pay is what you get.

Games without in-app purchases list at Slant.co
- Very handy list of games that don't include in-app purchases.
- Highlights some good and bad points for each game.

Humble Bundle Mobile Bundles
- Occasional selection of Android games all together for a low cost with a selectable choice of your proceeds going to charity.
- Games either come as APK's or use a humble management app and aren't connected to your play store account, Humble as there own account system.
- Game updates Require the Humble app, but no idea the level of support this gets compared to the play store.

GMD Immersive
- Hides navigation and the notification bar.
- Some games don't go full screen and still show the navigation bar, this helps gets around that for those not on a custom rom.

Notable Companies & Games in this thread:
Companies
Electronic Arts - Listed here because they are a big publisher, they do have a lot of pay up or wait 1 hour / day to dig 1 block games but some games may be alright from them.
Gameloft - Known for many games with a premium feel, though app purchases are creeping in.
Kemco Games - Creator of popular JRPG's for Android that have the same quality as the older console JRPG games.
Rockstar - They have ported there GTA games without loading them with in-app purchases.
Rovio - Makers of one of the first mainstream super popular games Angry birds, their games now have in-app unlockable purchases like most others.
Sega- Known for its consoles and Sonic, some games will soon be removed due to not meeting internal quality standards. (kinda meaning broken due to system updates and they cant be bothered or have resources to patch them and don't want bad press & ratings)
Square Enix - There games are usually well made premium games with proper console level of quality and gameplay.

Games
Ingress
- Real time multiplayer territorial control between 2 factions Enlightenment (Green) and Resistance (Blue) played out in the real world.
- Hundreds of thousands of people working and playing together in the world at the same time together.
- Totally FREE

Minecraft Pocket Edition
- Android version of one of if not the most popular casual game.
- Single and multiplayer over local wifi.

Snes9X +
- Play your legally owned backed up snes games on android.
- Many Snes9x versions available.
- Not as compatible as the PC version.
- OCAU does not support playing games you do not legally own yourself.

**/ Please help me make this a good first informational post \**

Last edited by Revenger; 12th August 2015 at 6:42 PM.
Revenger is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 24th November 2014, 12:48 PM   #2
chrisrv

The Telltale games - The Walking Dead Seasons 1 and 2 as well as The Wolf Among Us. Also really enjoyed The Room and The Room 2.
Old 24th November 2014, 2:34 PM   #3
kha-khees

Hoplite. Hoplite hoplite hoplite.

Just a simple hex-based roguelike where you progress through levels and acquire powerups from shrines. Free to download and play, I think its like 3 aud to buy which gets you some extra achievements to unlock further powerups.

I bought it after an hour or so of playing because I thought it was done well enough to warrant a few dollars.
kha-khees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 2:53 PM   #4
kbekus

Sky Force 2014 - A genuinely good vertical shooter with 9 levels and a shop for powerups.

Real Racing 3 - A reasonably OK driving game, if a touch arcadey. A portable Gran Tourismo if you will, where you buy and upgrade your cars to run in various race series.
kbekus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 3:44 PM   #5
Revenger Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbekus View Post
Sky Force 2014 - A genuinely good vertical shooter with 9 levels and a shop for powerups.

Real Racing 3 - A reasonably OK driving game, if a touch arcadey. A portable Gran Tourismo if you will, where you buy and upgrade your cars to run in various race series.
Been playing that Skyforce yesterday after viewing your post, enjoying it mostly.

The game is very grindy for star collecting which is done by killing stuff in the usual shrump fashion, also the wait times get longer and longer as you play for well over a hour on each upgrade and 30 mins to a hour restock a single plane but you can reduce timers with stars.

Thers 3 one off unlockables for about $2.16 AUD remove ads, faster ship restock time and star doubler you are made to spend 1k stars before these options appear.

Then you can buy star packs 5k stars for $1.08 to help reduce upgrade timers which have no paid enhancement like ship restock, if you don't want to wait or keep replaying missions.

Between each mission you get a advert to click away and always floating above the upgrade screen, and if you run out of ships you are asked if you wish to watch an advert video for a ship which you must watch the full vid as it uses a timer. No ads ingame though.

Gameplay seems solid and fun but grindiness for upgrades gets to you after a bit at least its not as bad as other games with grind & wait or pay.

Also connect to social media accounts to unlock extra stuff in game seems a bit off putting.

----
Other than that Humble have there next mobile bundle out.

Im thinking of picking it up for Ravensword Shadowlands and others look interesting.

I see games are supporting Xbox 360 controller, ps3 or Moga controllers.

I'll redo the first post with this info and are keen to change the first post if you guys have stuff anything at all that should be included in there for android gaming or devices etc that are good etc just let me know.

------
Moving my game list from first post to here to make space in the first post for android gaming related information.

Bards Tale - Native Controller: Yes
Aquaria - Native Controller: Yes (doesn't seem to be on play store)
N.O.V.A 3 - Native Controller: No
GTA3
GTA Vice City - Native Controller: Yes
GTA San Andreas - Native Controller: Yes
Carmageddon - only microtransaction is to unlock everything upfront for those that don't like unlocking through playing.
Secret of Mana - Native Controller: Yes
Worms 2: Armageddon

Last edited by Revenger; 26th November 2014 at 6:20 PM.
Old 26th November 2014, 4:54 PM   #6
supasaiyan

snes 9x + zelda = happy train ride
supasaiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 5:41 PM   #7
Revenger Thread Starter

Just came across this webpage that lists quoite a few games without inapp purchases.

Will update the op with the information and anything else you guys want me to.
I added some stuff to the op a few days back for general things in regards to ocau.

Feel free to contribute on games you found that are enjoyable

I'm still playing that skyforce and now hit the grind for stars which isn't too bad as mission 3 hard is pretty easy and gives 825 or so stars a run the most I've seen on a single run and I'm up to level 6 normal with 4 being hard.

Also you occasionally collect cards that increase ship reserves and decrease timers etc.

Forgot to think about ingress even though I play it all the time so added it to the op.

Last edited by Revenger; 1st December 2014 at 5:49 PM.
Old 1st December 2014, 7:02 PM   #8
2SHY

Monument Valley.

Really recommended. Great Visuals. Got mine for free on Amazon.
Steam ID: 2SHY_N8 / Origin: N8HIAN/Rockstar Social Club: 2shy_n8
OCAU Trades
Computer Sepcifications
2SHY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 8:45 PM   #9
Revenger Thread Starter

First post is continually being updated since earlier today added in a companies section and a bunch of game companies I feel do a premium Android game experience that I have come across in the past.

The whole point for me starting this thread was that I didn't know about any proper gamer games and all I would hear about was games with absurd in-app purchases and anytime I opened up the store out of interest all I saw was in my opinion basic and kinda crappy games made for mobile and touch.

With soo many games out there it was hard to find the good ones and why I haven't played games in ages.

While games were posted in the app thread that was more talk about normal and general apps for android.

I'll see if I can get this a sticky to stop it dropping down but I think it may need more posts first from others.

Update: thanks to Ma Baker we have sticky as long as the thread generates interest and stays active.

Last edited by Revenger; 2nd December 2014 at 3:05 AM.
Old 4th December 2014, 5:57 PM   #10
Revenger Thread Starter

Anyone know how the Ouya and Shield are going as gaming devices as well as those Android portable game systems JXD etc that are similar to the PSP?

Also I hear the new Google box is meant to be good for gaming, only released in the US so far.

Just to note this is about all things games consoles controllers companies and general game talk etc.

So thread isn't just about listing games but all things gaming to help with keeping this thread alive.

I've looked at Drakerider by Square and started playing it and it seems a good game, only in-app purchases are for power leveling bonuses you don't really need.

Its touchscreen only by controls are well done regardless, with the chain system you swipe a chain to keep the dragon under control that auto fights.

Really keen to try some Kemco games I listed in the first post I heard about them but never played them before.

Also is there any news on proper MMO games? I heard things years about like a Ragnarok MMO or others for Android with proper controls but nothing seemed to happen in this area.

Last edited by Revenger; 4th December 2014 at 6:12 PM.
Old 4th December 2014, 10:25 PM   #11
Supplanter

Some of the things I am playing at the moment.

Waking Mars, an exploration style game, no transactions that I am aware of.

Star Command, has a Faster Than Light vibe to it, no transactions

Godus, a god simulation, micro transactions but they aren't necessary to play.

Ricoh 5A22 @ 21.47727 MHz | 128 kB DRAM | PPU @ 21.47727 MHz 64kB VRAM 544B OAM 480B CGRAM | Sony SPC700 @ 24.576 MHz
Supplanter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 11:36 AM   #12
cdtoaster

Card Wars is decent, a bit simple but fun

Game Dev Story is a lot of fun, you manage a game studio.

for phones & tablets i'd also recommend:
Dragon Coins (SEGA)
Hearts Free (AI Factory one)
MechCom - basic RTS game
NFS most wanted (better on phone due to tilt steering)
Carmageddon - has the 3DFX level gfx

for tablets:
Worms 3
Plant vs Zombies

These are all games i've spent some time playing. if anyone has played the Civilization Revolution 2 or X-Com i'd like to know how those go
cdtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2014, 3:40 PM   #13
Grom Hellscream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenger View Post
Anyone know how the Ouya and Shield are going as gaming devices as well as those Android portable game systems JXD etc that are similar to the PSP?
I've just gotten a shield and I reckon it rocks. Heaps of native android apps now with controller support, mine plays GTA:SA and KoTOR (which is just released on android) buttery smooth and with native controller support. I've loaded mine with some emulators as well - haven't found anything that doesn't run well.

My shield is replacing my PSP for emulation and does a great job. Downside is battery life isn't great, but worth the tradeoff IMO.
Grom Hellscream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 10:05 PM   #14
FerrisXB9R

HIGHLY recommend this.

The Witcher Battle Arena by yes, CD Projekt Red.

A thoroughly amusing moba built specifically for mobile devices. MUCH friendlier learning curve than the likes of LoL, and with the inability to communicate with each other with words, no QQ for newbies. I'd call it real easy to pick up, and hard to master. You can play PvP (3v3) Co-op vs AI, or practise (you and 2 AI vs 3 AI) All modes net you xp and crowns (the ingame currency)

In app purchases, but not required unless you GOTTA have a hero thats not in the free rotation. (I bought Geralt)

3 character classes (Warrior, Mage, Archer) with 8 heroes in rotation so far.
Warriors = Geralt, Letho, Zoltan, The Golem and Saskia
Mages = Phillipa and The Operator.
Archers = Eithne and Iorveth

Last edited by FerrisXB9R; 28th January 2015 at 10:10 PM.
FerrisXB9R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 10:12 PM   #15
power

The Silent Age is an awesome and intriguing adventure that had me hooked, the first part of the game is free and gives well and truly enough game to decide if you like it and the second episode is cheap ($6.49).

It's a very solid 4.5 game, and compared to much of what's out there even the full 5/5

If anyone can recommend any other games like it, do it!

Quote:
The Silent Age takes you on an adventurous journey into a dystopian future where mankind has gone extinct!
Travel through time between the iconic 70's and a desolate present day haunted by silence.
The Silent Age is an atmospheric point-and-click adventure game with stylized visuals and an eerie soundtrack that will keep you in suspense as you solve mind-bending puzzles.
With an interface specifically designed for touch devices, you'll flow through the story without hiccups and frustrations. Sit back, plug in your headphones, and enjoy the adventure.