Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 9th January 2015, 12:29 AM   #1
DualBios Thread Starter

Default Home network massive upgrade

So I'm upgrading my home network. Currently I only have a Netgear Router Wndr3700 along with a eop to extend the wifi. I have a thecus n7700 pro currently and looking at getting a second. Everything is wifi except the nas at current and main gaming pc.

Wifi devices including
6 phones
4 laptops
4 media pcs
Xbox one
ps4
2 wd media players
2 smart tvs

I have run atm 5 cat6 to the granny flat 4 for TV Xbox pc and media pc. Fifth is for a unfi ac ap.

In house I have run several more cat6 cables for media pcs and I'm moving everything network wise in to a very large cupboard.

Now for the questions what network gear should I use for modem switch with poe and router/firewall. I want to get 10gigbit going with the nas' s and main pc but isn't 100% needed
DualBios is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 9th January 2015, 12:42 AM   #2
Renza

Needs more info. Some questions to get you started:
  • What's your budget?
  • What ISP or internet tech are you using?
  • Do you have a specific need for a separate modem and firewall?
  • What features do you require for your 'gateway'? VLANs, VoIP, multiple external IPs, etc.
  • How many PoE ports do you require?
  • How many total ports on the switch do you require?
Renza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 11:32 PM   #3
DualBios Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renza View Post
Needs more info. Some questions to get you started:
  • What's your budget?
  • What ISP or internet tech are you using?
  • Do you have a specific need for a separate modem and firewall?
  • What features do you require for your 'gateway'? VLANs, VoIP, multiple external IPs, etc.
  • How many PoE ports do you require?
  • How many total ports on the switch do you require?
budget under $1000
atm i have telsrta adsl 2 using a DGND3700
i have a cheap linksys 24 port gigabit switch but its not the best
atm i have 1 thecus n7700pro but will atleast have 1 more or possibly 2

no need for voip yet but if i end up getting nbn will be going down that route

for poe im thinking possibly 8 4 for access points and 4 cameras

for ports i require atleast 24 total would love for a 10gigabit back bone for the nas's but not a true requirement
Old 20th January 2015, 9:27 AM   #4
bubblegoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualBios View Post
would love for a 10gigabit back bone for the nas's but not a true requirement
Not for $1000 it's not.
Old 21st January 2015, 8:12 AM   #5
LostBenji

Quote:

Wifi devices including
6 phones
4 laptops
4 media pcs
Xbox one
ps4
2 wd media players
2 smart tvs
Red items should be cabled.

Quote:
budget under $1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegoose View Post
Not for $1000 it's not.
+1

OP: I see you have a DIY approach yet I get the feeling you are not a qualified cabler (you would already know half the answers to your questions). Nothing wrong with doing it yourself, BUT get it checked before sealing everything up.
Not even close to being a fan of the Netgear, better options out there. As for the network, if you think your WiFi has done fine this long, esecially for all those things that should have been cabled in first place, don't worry about 10GbE. You have nothing that will use it.
The Lynksys switches are good gear if you look after them. They have a habit of blowing caps and if replaced with good caps, they run great.
If you want faster media storage, time to drop the NAS's and build a media server. Use multiple NIC's a bond them (server 2012 is great for this, even without a managed switch).
You will be looking for a PoE switch if going cameras but this will cost a fair bit for a 24-port PoE, instead, use a little 8-port TP-Link switch that has 4 or 8 of the ports as PoE. This will allow you to keep security on its own subnet/network.
If you must upgrade the switching, the the MikroTik CRS's will do nice, you will just need to learn them for a couple of hours (Dutch designed, plenty of Dutch arrogance in the default configs they ship with) then you will have a cheap managed switch that runs cool and no noise.

LostBenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2015, 10:19 PM   #6
DualBios Thread Starter

we tolerated the wifi in the past only 1 media pc being used at a time and if watching a movie no one else was using anything.

so atm i have wired 8 points around the house using cat 6. i do have a mate thats a cabler hes going to check everything i used to do terminating as a ta for him. must say wow its great being able to use the media pcs all at once have seen the nas hit 100% network utilization so server might be the answer as some frames are being dropped now and then.

think ill approach it one thing at a time ill try replacing the caps in the switch and see if that fixes it first will be a good modem any recommendations for just a modem.
Old 23rd January 2015, 7:59 AM   #7
LostBenji

With the switch, you will need a soldering rework station as just a plain old soldering iron will have a hard time with the multi-layer boards and heat-sinking. Look for all the shot 1000uF and 1500uF caps. If some are bulged, replace all that also are of the same size on the board. They designed them to have multiple smaller sub-supplies for each of the switching groups.

NAS: Yeah, I think you will find cheaper units are likely to shit you to tears when you start pulling multiple streams. It's not the speed of the NIC, it is the ability for the NAS to have the required I/O for pulling data from all over the array concurrently.

Good to see you have a Cabler, doing it right the first time is a winner. Just remember to run plenty of cables/sockets/points to cater for future use. 4x to the AV and main entertainment area is a must and at least 2 to each room.

LostBenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:39 PM   #8
Aetherone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBenji View Post
you will need a soldering rework station as just a plain old soldering iron will have a hard time with the multi-layer boards and heat-sinking.
Its not impossible if you use a bigger iron and trim the tip suitable for cap legs, but a soldering station is the best solution.
Aetherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 8:27 AM   #9
DualBios Thread Starter

the mess about to be cleaned up got my 4ru rack
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Vy...iJg&authuser=0

Last edited by DualBios; 11th June 2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11th June 2015, 3:34 PM   #10
glimmerman

forget about 10gb for under $1k lol....

Have you maybe thought about putting cables in for access points if you are just having issues with signal?
Im going to go over there and suck some dick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broden View Post
another quality post from glimmerman!
glimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 5:14 PM   #11
DualBios Thread Starter

yeah what im going to do is build in stages first buy is a nice switch with some poe and manageable to allow me to aggregate the connection and i have run some more cables for access points going this route i think http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/N...53980-UAP-AC-3
Old 13th June 2015, 7:52 PM   #12
davros123

personally, I would suggest you first work out what problem you are trying to solve.

For example...Why do you think you need 10G? Can your nas even hangle >120MB?

Why not just get a cheap 24 port switch?

I have the unifi ac ap and i prefer my pro. Ac has crap range. Why do you want a unifi ap?
yeah well I just reported my own post...ferk....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
If you have become content with the size of your e-penis, sticking clear of rack mounted stuff will save you heaps of $$$.

Last edited by davros123; 13th June 2015 at 8:06 PM.
davros123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 8:00 PM   #13
Copie

Quote:
budget under $1000
atm i have telsrta adsl 2 using a DGND3700
i have a cheap linksys 24 port gigabit switch but its not the best
atm i have 1 thecus n7700pro but will atleast have 1 more or possibly 2

no need for voip yet but if i end up getting nbn will be going down that route

for poe im thinking possibly 8 4 for access points and 4 cameras

for ports i require atleast 24 total would love for a 10gigabit back bone for the nas's but not a true requirement
There is half your problem right there.

Piss it off, get yourself an Asus DSL-AC68U, as Lostbenji said, cable those items in red and happy days.

Depending on how far your devices are from the AC68, you can always look into wifi AP's on the opposite end of the house/main living areas to increase your signal strength or segregate your devices to multiple 2.4/5ghz wifi AP's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glimmerman View Post
forget about 10gb for under $1k lol....

Have you maybe thought about putting cables in for access points if you are just having issues with signal?
You can do it for under 1k, just got to troll graysonline, not hard to pick up a Dell 6224 for <200 bucks, a SFP+ module for 150, cards for 100ish each and Dell SFP+ copper cables for 40 each. But regardless unless his gear has the capacity to push it above 120Mb/s its a waste of time.

For me my setup goes as follows, forgive the ghetto windows paint job.

Last edited by Copie; 13th June 2015 at 8:11 PM.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 8:57 PM   #14
DualBios Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davros123 View Post
personally, I would suggest you first work out what problem you are trying to solve.

For example...Why do you think you need 10G? Can your nas even hangle >120MB?

Why not just get a cheap 24 port switch?

I have the unifi ac ap and i prefer my pro. Ac has crap range. Why do you want a unifi ap?
I want the zero handover feature as im having issues with the modem router not letting go of the connection i also want more bandwidth and coverage so ill get the pros thanks for that information.

The router is about to be upgraded to just a modem and im building a pfsense box the nas has really good reads and have had it putting out about 175Mb/s with 2 connections
Old 13th June 2015, 9:41 PM   #15
DualBios Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copie View Post
There is half your problem right there.

Piss it off, get yourself an Asus DSL-AC68U, as Lostbenji said, cable those items in red and happy days.

Depending on how far your devices are from the AC68, you can always look into wifi AP's on the opposite end of the house/main living areas to increase your signal strength or segregate your devices to multiple 2.4/5ghz wifi AP's.

You can do it for under 1k, just got to troll graysonline, not hard to pick up a Dell 6224 for <200 bucks, a SFP+ module for 150, cards for 100ish each and Dell SFP+ copper cables for 40 each. But regardless unless his gear has the capacity to push it above 120Mb/s its a waste of time.

For me my setup goes as follows, forgive the ghetto windows paint job.

What sfp module should i be looking for