Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding > Modding Worklogs

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 13th July 2016, 11:26 AM   #1
vladtepes Thread Starter

Default "Romulus & Remus" - Dual System Build

The Plan:

A dual system build in the one case – a gaming/office PC ("Romulus") and a FreeNAS / Media streaming system ("Remus").

Why a dual system build? Because they are fairly rare, and why the heck not !

Background:

My synology thing crapped out and I got sick of the whole lack of support / interest from them. The people over at FreeNAS are very helpful so I've decided to go that way.

GAMING / OFFICE "Romulus"

My existing gaming/office system:

Case Thermaltake – T31
PSU THERMALTAKE SP-650P SMART POWER 80Plus Bronze
MoBo Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H
CPU intel i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
RAM Kingston HyperX Blu 32Gb (4x8Gb)
Video Nvidia Geforce GTX-970
SSD Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250Gb
HDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB
HDD WD Green 2TB WD20EZRX
Optical Drive LG 16x BluRay R/W & DVD R/W (LG-BH16NS40)
OS upgraded to Win 10

monitor ASUS 23"
monitor Eizo 27"
Microsoft USB multimedia keyboard and mouse

(The graphics card and 16Gb of RAM are recent upgrades)

I have since purchased :
Case Phantek Ethnoo MiniXL (with dual system conversion kit)
PSU 750W modular ATX
Mobo Asus Gryphon Z97
CPU cooling: Air (CPU heatsink and fan).

As you can see from the case I've chosen – I needed to go to an mATX form factor as opposed to the existing ATX. Thus the new mobo which I chose as it allows me to reuse the CPU, RAM etc.

I'll be doing some fiddling about with HDDs and perhaps add another 250Gb SSD in there as well... time will tell..

I will be sticking with air / fan cooling rather than water-cooling; for both simplicity and cost reasons.

NAS

I'll give some info regarding the NAS system in a future post.

MODS

So the above is all really classed as a system build, whereas I will also be modding the case a bit. I don't want to give away too much but there will be some changes to the Perspex window on the side of the case (the current one is scratched up anyway), perhaps some additional colour on the case, and some lighting effects inside.

My System Build & Modding experience: None.
(Well I assembled the current system under a friends supervision a couple of years ago, but that's it...)
I figure this is a good way to learn though.

INITIAL BUILD

I'll initially be building the system (or at least the new mobo with existing stuff) in my existing case, so that I can get it up and running before the July 29 Win 10 upgrade offer finishes. Then I can take my time doing the case mods properly, and then shift the hardware across to the new case.

Last edited by vladtepes; 18th July 2016 at 12:22 PM.
vladtepes is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 13th July 2016, 11:31 AM   #2
vladtepes Thread Starter

I subsequently purchased:

For PC:
Samsung 500GB SSD 850 EVO

For NAS:
Intel Core i3 6100 Dual Core LGA 1151 3.7GHz CPU Processor
Kingston 120GB SSD 2.5in SSDNow UV400
Western Digital RED WD30EFRX RED NAS- 3TB

... which is a nice segue into -

NAS SYSTEM "Remus"

The second system in the Ethnoo Mini XL case will be a system to run FreeNAS and will comprise of the following:

PSU: Corsair SF600 SFX 80 PLUS Gold 600W (probably)
Mobo: Supermicro X11SSL-F
CPU: Intel i3-6100
RAM: 32Gb Samsung ECC unbuffered RAM
Boot / System drive: Kingston V400 120Gb SSD
NAS drives: 4 x WD Red NAS 3TB

So the plan is 4 x 3Tb drives (12Tb) in a RAID configuration which will give me 6Tb with a 2 drive failure tolerance.
That's conservative but should be more than enough space for now.

I could have got a smaller SSD for the boot drive as that's very much overkill.... but it was also as cheap as heck!

Last edited by vladtepes; 18th July 2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 13th July 2016, 11:34 AM   #3
vladtepes Thread Starter

OK the above two posts are essentially cut and pastes of a thread I started elsewhere, but I like OCAU better....

So now we are up to date...

I'm still waiting on the mobo for the 'main' build which is annoying heck out of me. (edited to remove adverse comment, as per forum rules). It wouldn't worry me so much if it weren't for the July 29 Win 10 upgrade deadline.

The 2nd hand Phantek Enthoo MiniXL case arrived. Hilarious! For a micro-ATX form factor case it's substantially larger than my existing ATX form factor case.

Now I am waiting for my NAS microATX board as it will have to fit where the case is designed to hold a mini-ITX board (the second system, if you will).

I am pretty confident I'll be able to modify it appropriately, especially given the 2nd system doesn't require any graphics cards, large CPU cooler, or anything bulky like that.

So the mods required to the actual case will be:
- fit microATX board into mini ITX space
- cut out / modify side window for 'special evil plan*' I have in mind.

I'm also seriously considering getting a Phantek power splitter so I can run both systems from the 750W PSU I have, so I won't need to find room for a small form factor PSU.

And once all that's sorted it will be a full disassemble of the case, and paint.

*Special Evil Plan may include hollowed out volcano and army of orange jumpsuit clad lackeys with poor marksmanship skills.

Last edited by vladtepes; 18th July 2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 14th July 2016, 8:29 AM   #4
pvtgonzo

where did you manage to get the case from? Wasnt able to find one from a reputable retailer in Aus when I ordered parts for my build recently.
System: Intel 6700k@4.6, ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha w/EK M8G Monoblock, Custom Watercooling Loop, EVGA 1080GTX SC @ 2100mhz, 16gb Corsair 3000MHZ DDR4, ASUS Xonar STX, Samsung 512gb SM961 NVME m.2 drive, Fractal Design Define S w/ Tempered Glass Mod.
Many successful trades over the past 12 years with many happy buyers/sellers!
pvtgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2016, 1:33 PM   #5
vladtepes Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvtgonzo View Post
where did you manage to get the case from? Wasnt able to find one from a reputable retailer in Aus when I ordered parts for my build recently.
From the forums here !

You after a whole case or just certain parts?
Old 14th July 2016, 9:32 PM   #6
pvtgonzo

I wanted the case with the mini ITX kit, been looking around a bit for it. Can find the mini itx kit but cant find the case short of ebay or newegg and paying a ridiculous amount for shipping. Like I get I'm at the ends of the earth in Cairns but 250 dollars shipping for a case is stupid.
System: Intel 6700k@4.6, ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha w/EK M8G Monoblock, Custom Watercooling Loop, EVGA 1080GTX SC @ 2100mhz, 16gb Corsair 3000MHZ DDR4, ASUS Xonar STX, Samsung 512gb SM961 NVME m.2 drive, Fractal Design Define S w/ Tempered Glass Mod.
Many successful trades over the past 12 years with many happy buyers/sellers!
pvtgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2016, 11:45 AM   #7
vladtepes Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvtgonzo View Post
I wanted the case with the mini ITX kit, been looking around a bit for it. Can find the mini itx kit but cant find the case short of ebay or newegg and paying a ridiculous amount for shipping. Like I get I'm at the ends of the earth in Cairns but 250 dollars shipping for a case is stupid.
New case prices are stupid.
Yes shipping isnt cheap - it is reasonably heavy which can't help...
Old 18th July 2016, 12:18 PM   #8
vladtepes Thread Starter

OK having had a good look at the case and trying to work out if things will fit, I had a better idea. I decided to buy a new system

So these will be the new specs for the

GAMING/OFFICE system

MOBO: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming LGA 1151 Mini ITX
RAM: Corsair CMU32GX4M2C3200C16R 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz Vengeance Black with Red LED
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K Quad Core LGA 1151 4GHz Unlocked CPU Processor
CPU Cooler: bigarse* heat sink and fan. (I'm going with air cooling not water)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX970 FTW
SSD1: Samsung 950 Pro Series 512GB M.2 SSD (boot/system/office)
SSD2: Samsung 840Evo 500Gb (game library)
SSDD3: Might or might not use it Samsung 840Evo 256Gb
HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 3TB
HDD2: WD Green 2TB WD20EZRX
(I'd eventually like to replace these with a larger single WD HDD, as I need to free up a drive bay.)
Optical: LG 16x BluRay R/W & DVD R/W (LG-BH16NS40)

So there it is.

At the moment I'm waiting for various bits to be delivered by post or ready to pick up at umart.

My main conundrum now is that I had originally intended to paint the case..... now I'm unsure. I'll make a call on that when the mobos get here and I figure out what it will all look like.

Last edited by vladtepes; 17th August 2016 at 8:03 PM.
Old 3rd August 2016, 10:41 AM   #9
vladtepes Thread Starter

Well some stuff has FINALLY arrived yesterday....

Phanteks Power splitter
Phanteks dual SSD tray
Supermicro mobo
ECC Ram 32Gb

I also bought myself a Dell 25" monitor to replace the smaller Acer I'm currently using. This will see the Dell as my main monitor and smaller Eizo as my second monitor.

It'd be nice if the 'Romulus' mobo etc would turn up.....

I'll need a visit to MSY to pick up another HDD Red NAS and Win 10 Home retail.

Hopefully I'll end up with an EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W PSU and when that turns up I should be OK to start the build!
Old 3rd August 2016, 11:02 AM   #10
vladtepes Thread Starter

So, to keep everything together - these are the specs I am running with.

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Mini XL details
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W review and Phanteks Power Splitter details

"Romulus" (Gaming/Office system)

MOBO: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming LGA 1151 Mini ITX specs
RAM: G.Skill 32G (2x16G)F4-3200C15D-32GTZKW PC4-25600 DDR4 3200 Mhz
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K Quad Core LGA 1151 4GHz
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 360mm AIO info
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX1070 mini-ITX
SSD1: Samsung 950 Pro Series 512GB M.2 SSD (boot/system/office)
SSD2: Samsung 840Evo 500Gb (game library)
SSDD3: Might or might not use it Samsung 840Evo 256Gb
HDD1: WD Blue 6TB
Optical: LG 16x BluRay R/W & DVD R/W (LG-BH16NS40)

"Remus" (FreeNAS system)

Mobo: Supermicro X11SSL-F specs
CPU: Intel i3-6100
RAM: 32Gb Samsung ECC unbuffered RAM
Boot / System drive: Kingston V400 120Gb SSD
NAS drives: 6 x WD Red NAS 3TB in Raid Z2 (2 drive failure tolerance)

UPS: Cyberpower CP1500EPFCLCD info (Australian version thereof)

Last edited by vladtepes; 7th January 2017 at 9:58 PM.
Old 7th August 2016, 11:36 AM   #11
vladtepes Thread Starter

and some gratuitous pictures of some of the 'stuff'

Last edited by vladtepes; 7th January 2017 at 9:55 PM.
Old 25th August 2016, 11:03 AM   #12
vladtepes Thread Starter

Still waiting for some bloody cables to arrive before I can continue this build !

EDIT 02/09/2016: Bloody cables have arrived, now tearing my hair out getting this hooked up, and trying to achieve some semblance of cable management....

Last edited by vladtepes; 2nd September 2016 at 2:28 PM.
Old 7th September 2016, 11:56 AM   #13
Excellent Mong.

Any pics? Sounds like a cool build. I just built a new m-ITX box with almost identical specs to your gaming side and performance is great, really easy to OC the 6700k with the Asus mobo too. Never used a small form factor rig before, but hard to see myself going back now.
i7 6700K | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Samsung 950 Pro M2 SSD 512GB + Crucial M4 120GB SSD + Corsair 850 Pro 240GB SSD + WD Red 3TB | Asus Z170I m-ITX | Radeon R9 380 4GB | Corsair 650W PSU | Fractal Design Define Nano S | Windows 10 64-bit | 27" 1440p 120hz IPS (Korean)
Excellent Mong. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 2:49 PM   #14
vladtepes Thread Starter

Edit: OK I am retrospectively adding this post in here so it makes more sense rather than put it at the end.
As I mentioned, I had decided to use an AIO CPU cooler for the gaming system (Romulus) – a 120mm wide rad and 3 120mm LED fans.
The top of the case has provision for both 120 and 140mm radiators/fans BUT the location of the mini-ITX mobo gives VERY little clearance between the mobo and the radiator. Combine this with the criticality of having the radiator lines exit in a place which wouldn’t cover anything crucial on the mobo and the mounting was more difficult than I’d imagined.

Having determined that the ‘slots’ for mounting screws for the rad/fans were not long enough, I had to use the obvious (but somewhat dramatic) solution…

The following picture shows where I made the, umm, adjustments:

You can see 1-4 went fine, but in 5,6 I accidentally cut all the way through one end. Fortunately it was still more than adequate as a mounting point.

So I ended up with this:

And was able to mount the radiator, thus:

The fans are then mounted above the radiator in a ‘pull’ configuration thus:

Lining up the screws to secure all this in place was… fun. But not at the time. In fact come to think of it, it was a PITA. But I got there.

You can see in the following pic the very close tolerances involved, and the CPU where the AIO cooler heatsink has to go…

You can see the hoses appear long in this pic but the length was useful as it subsequently allowed the heatsink/block to be mounted in the correct orientation.

Not the neatest job in the world bit as good as it gets given the limitations under which I was working:

The micro ATX board for the NAS (Remus) utilises the standard Intel cooler, which is perfectly good for a non-overclocked chip.

In the above photo (and below) you can see the 120mm rear case fan exhausting air to the outside world….

It was working then but has since stopped, I’ve yet to figure out why….. No doubt just a plug or something…..

And so begins a cable management nightmare….

(In case you are wondering - that thing in the top LH corner is Phantek’s power splitter supplying both mobos from the one PSU)

At the time I did this, it all worked… still does actually.

Last edited by vladtepes; 7th January 2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 9th September 2016, 11:06 AM   #15
vladtepes Thread Starter

Meanwhile I've been having some fun working out some names for parts of my system.

So far we have Romulus and Remus (the twins) which I think is an apt them for my system.

My UPS will be named "Juno" as well as the Queen of the Gods she was the Protector of Rome. So Juno protects Romulus and Remus...
I had also considered 'Vesta' a goddess of the sacred fire...

Thinking of using "Mercury" (messenger of the gods) as something to do with LAN/wireless/network name.

My chromecast device is called "SQPR" (= the people and Senate of Rome) because it's the recipient of the benefits provided by Romulus and Remus.....