Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Photography & Video

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 7th August 2016, 9:49 PM   #1
antipody Thread Starter

Default Can anyone recommend a waterproof camera for me?

All my cameras are dead or lost and I need to get a new one.

My Sanyo Xacti VPC-CA100 was pretty cool so I'm considering dropping $200 on another one.

I also like to make video and audio recordings out of the water, so I'm wondering if anything else comes recommended these days. Haven't researched cameras in a long time.

Can anyone recommend anything?
antipody is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 7th August 2016, 10:23 PM   #2
Beanz

Canon PowerShot D30.

I have one, love it.
Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 11:08 AM   #3
antipody Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
Canon PowerShot D30.

I have one, love it.
Thanks for the tip.

ANy particular reason you love it? Any nice features that make it stand out?

How do you find the UI? Is it good for photography out of the water? Macros, panos, creative modes etc?

How is the audio recording?

It looks nice and small which is handy. Rated much deeper and prolly better image quality than my Sanyo option... Could be a goer.

The Oly Tough TG-4 is more costly, but looks good. So does the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS6

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/bes...rproof-camera/

Hrmmm....

Last edited by antipody; 8th August 2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 8th August 2016, 12:48 PM   #4
antipody Thread Starter

Think I'm gonna grab the Oly...

Has some great features for the price, but that lens seems to be quite a selling point. Fantastic for macros, low light and fast focussing.

Kogan has them for $430 delivered. Wonder if that's the best place to buy one...
Old 10th August 2016, 12:58 PM   #5
lionman

For around 500 you can get the Nikon AW1 single lens kit which might be worth considering.

Not as compact, though it has a larger 1" sensor.
lionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 1:14 PM   #6
antipody Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionman View Post
For around 500 you can get the Nikon AW1 single lens kit which might be worth considering.

Not as compact, though it has a larger 1" sensor.
Yes, I've just been reading about these. Nearly the same price as the Oly but seems to be a better camera...

https://www.camerasky.com.au/nikon-a...l#.V6qbbFMumIQ

Interchangable lens and waterproof... interesting...

Still considering my old Sanyo for 200 bucks. It takes great underwater footage and has fantastic 14x zoom (5x optical), which I often used.

The fact that you can hear the zoom motor when changing zooming during recording is a major negative of the Oly....
Old 10th August 2016, 1:23 PM   #7
lionman

You would think that you could hear the lens zoom on most cameras while underwater given how well water is at conducting sound, or is it noisy out of the water also?
lionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 1:26 PM   #8
antipody Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionman View Post
You would think that you could hear the lens zoom on most cameras while underwater given how well water is at conducting sound, or is it noisy out of the water also?
Yep, quite a few reviews commented on this. Can hear it out of water. This isn't the case at all for the Sanyo.

The limited zoom size (5x) is also an issue on all of these as I love being able to zoom right on something from afar when filming...
Old 10th August 2016, 3:55 PM   #9
antipody Thread Starter

Not sure how well that Nikon with the stock lens would fit in my pocket.

Sanyo may be calling....
Old 11th August 2016, 12:57 PM   #10
Eclipsor

A mate at work has an AW1. It is pretty chunky. All the extra protection has to add bulk I guess. I'm not sure if he ever ended up even using it underwater. He was too nervous to do it I think.
Old 11th August 2016, 5:29 PM   #11
antipody Thread Starter

I dropped my bundle on the Nikon.

$540 delivered is a lot more than the Sanyo on ebay, but seems pretty good value. I used to have a Pentax Optio 555 and have to say the Oly seems to have similarly fantastic macro optics and the TG4 seems to be a similarly awesome camera, but I'm just curious about interchangable waterproof lenses and have never owned a Nikon.

Now that I think about it, I should have bought the 3 yr warranty, for $50. I wonder if I can get after I receive it.

Is there a typically period over which you can still buy extended warranties?

Last edited by antipody; 11th August 2016 at 5:59 PM.
Old 11th August 2016, 7:22 PM   #12
metalrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipody View Post
Is there a typically period over which you can still buy extended warranties?
If you bought it at a registered Australian reseller (even on eBay), you should be able to register the product (or any other Nikon product) with the My Nikon Life program for an additional year of manufacturer's warranty for a total of two years from the date of purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsor View Post
I'm not sure if he ever ended up even using it underwater. He was too nervous to do it I think.
Well, at the very it should survive for a long while then

metalrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 8:21 AM   #13
Steak Face

I have the Nikon AW100 (it's a few years old now) and I've used in in pools, creeks surf etc and had no dramas with it.

They can get condensation inside them so you have to let it 'air out' every now and then.

But otherwise, very durable camera with decent iq.
Steak Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2016, 9:24 PM   #14
antipody Thread Starter

Quick review on the Nikon AW1, comparing with Sanyo Xacti VPC-CA100

Relatively, with kit lens AW1 is huge. The Sanyo, with waterproof folding screen is smaller than just the body of the Nikon. Nikon plus stock is just going to be hard to hold in and out of board or othershorts. I feel dirty about it, but I actually put the strap the Nikon.

Whereas the Sanyo's strap is designed for the hand, the Nikon's is, well a light camera strap. The whole kit requiring massive pockets with the stock lens so rates shockingly from a portability comparison.

On optics, 5x optical in Sanyo with 14x digital control and a super zoom button make the Sanny perfect for taking cool videos and really utilising the beautiful lens.

UI is a bit clunky and takes learning in the Sanyo, but it works intuitively (I can actually still navigate the menu even after stupidly being too lazy to take out the battery and dry it out after the viewfinder started getting wet klling the screen, yet the camera goes on.

Battery is much more compact and has a great life in the Sanyo. I'm really getting concerned I didn't read up on the Nikon and failed to notice that the battery doesn't just charge up easily via USB. Camera tells me I have to take it out and can't take photos with a flat battery, that takes forever to recharge.

This is the first time I've actually used a Nikon lens but I'm impressed by the speed. Terrified looking at this sensor through the air in between.

Not sure this lens is going to take good video. Should have got the Sanyo. Wonder if I can replace the screen while I wait for the Nikon to charge.

Last edited by antipody; 16th August 2016 at 9:30 PM.
Old 29th August 2016, 7:14 PM   #15
antipody Thread Starter

AW-1 Conclusions after a trip down the coast, to the snow and for a skate around Lake Burley Griffin:

Fundamental design flaws:

Shape makes single handed operation close to impossible.

Zero image stabilisation a ridiculous design flaw for a camera that is designed to be "rugged" and yet film at the same time.

It's cool that you can go swimming, skating, and skiing with it, but when doing these things you generally want image stabilisation.

Apart from being heavy and big and having no USB charge, it's a strangely powerful camera and I have a few nice shots.

I feel like Nikon are fiercely releasing products that they can charge you more in the future for. Even at $540, hard to justify forking out yet more money. I wonder if they can release improved firmware for it?