Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Other Operating Systems

Notices

Old 13th August 2016, 6:43 PM   #1
ernie Thread Starter

Default ReactOS

Anyone using ReactOS here?

I am doing my gaming on Linux Mint using Wine, but I was thinking of trying ReactOS to see if it gives me a better frame rate. Wine works ok, but it has to convert Direct3D to OpenGL which adds an extra layer that costs fps.

For those of you that don't know, ReactOS is an opensource rewrite of Windows from the ground up. It's based on Windows server 2003 with extras.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS

- Ernie.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 6:46 PM   #2
elvis
Old school old fool

Not running it myself, but a long time follower of their development. Keen to hear real-world use cases, whether for gaming or business.

The latest builds show Doom 3 running natively with full frame rate. That's really amazing news.

As an avid retro-gaming and software preservation fan I always worry about what happens when operating systems move on and games become broken as a result. FreeDOS and DOSBox are great for that generation, but we'll soon be facing a Win2k/WinXP era of gaming with compatibility problems, and hopefully ReactOS is the answer.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 6:51 PM   #3
ernie Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Not running it myself, but a long time follower of their development. Keen to hear real-world use cases, whether for gaming or business.

The latest builds show Doom 3 running natively with full frame rate. That's really amazing news.

As an avid retro-gaming and software preservation fan I always worry about what happens when operating systems move on and games become broken as a result. FreeDOS and DOSBox are great for that generation, but we'll soon be facing a Win2k/WinXP era of gaming with compatibility problems, and hopefully ReactOS is the answer.
The current ReactOS is only 32bit, there is a 64bit version in development. I don't have a spare drive to try it atm. maybe next week. I am interested in testing Aion and Guildwars 2 which I run under Linux/Wine atm. I actually had more game crashes on Window 7 32bit. than I do on Linux/Wine.

- Ernie.
Old 13th August 2016, 7:03 PM   #4
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
The current ReactOS is only 32bit, there is a 64bit version in development. I don't have a spare drive to try it atm. maybe next week. I am interested in testing Aion and Guildwars 2 which I run under Linux/Wine atm. I actually had more game crashes on Window 7 32bit. than I do on Linux/Wine.
Much like FreeDOS, I see ReactOS's true power as being a freely distributable compatibility layer for people using old software. Whether that's installing it on old hardware, or running it inside a VM (like DOSBox, the most popular distribution method for FreeDOS).

I think a 64bit build is a noble goal, but honestly I think getting 32bit compatibility up there is the real power of this project.

As a Linux user, I do tend to use WINE a hell of a lot more. And you're right - WINE is getting to the point where it's a bloody brilliant way to run old Windows software (I too have often found success with older Windows software in Linux+WINE where Windows 8/10 has failed). I'm also seeing more and more indie software where WINE is officially supported for Linux users, which is great at increasing a user base.

What I hope to see from ReactOS into the future are GOG-like installers that use it. As Windows evolves, I see the challenges increasing where developers can't patch things forever. While Diablo II can get patches eleventy million years after release, not everyone has the financial power that Blizzard does to keep teams patching old software.

Who knows - in 20 years we'll probably see archive.org using ReactOS to deliver in-browser emulation of old Win2K/WinXP software!

Last edited by elvis; 13th August 2016 at 7:15 PM.
Old 13th August 2016, 7:38 PM   #5
ernie Thread Starter

Well XP was 2001, ReactOS is based on server 2003 driver compatibility, but being a rewrite they can add whatever they want really.

I think there is potentially a huge niche for ReactOS for people that don't like the GUI and privacy changes that occurred from Windows 8 onwards. I think that Windows 7 was the last real release before they lost the plot. XP was fine too, but 7 was a cleaner GUI.

- Ernie.
Old 13th August 2016, 8:17 PM   #6
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
I think there is potentially a huge niche for ReactOS for people that don't like the GUI and privacy changes that occurred from Windows 8 onwards. I think that Windows 7 was the last real release before they lost the plot. XP was fine too, but 7 was a cleaner GUI.
My dear old mum is one of these folk. She ran WindowsXP until she literally could no longer (hardware failure), and then on upgrade was forced to Windows 7. She hated that, and hates Windows 10 even more.

She insists on using Eudora Mail for her email (for a tonne of reasons that are outdated and invalid, but you try changing the mind of a 64 year old French woman), and finds more and more difficulty using applications that she's enjoyed for years with current operating systems. She also loathes upgrading working hardware because RAM requirements of things increase, when she has no real need for the new features they bring.

The downside of course is that the OSes she likes can't be bought new. And even if she did source a machine that ran WindowsXP, she'd be in all sorts of security strife.

I've eyeballed ReactOS for years with the hope that it would become stable and secure enough to be her "daily drive". That would be precisely what she would love to use.
Old 13th August 2016, 8:55 PM   #7
Bold Eagle

Had to sub.....Win10 sucks balls and then wants my blood as well with this intrusive crap.

Can you assess and are you assured of privacy....or have you just migrated over to be someone else's bitch?
Old 13th August 2016, 9:12 PM   #8
ernie Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
Had to sub.....Win10 sucks balls and then wants my blood as well with this intrusive crap.

Can you assess and are you assured of privacy....or have you just migrated over to be someone else's bitch?
I was in the Win10 beta, and spent a lot of time turning things off, but it still wanted to phone home to Micro$oft. So I went back to Win7 32bit. I don't have the 64bit unfortunately, and the 32bit crashes on heavy 3D graphics.

ReactOS has a show stopper bug in the current version which I just downloaded. It can't boot off USB which means I can't install it. They are working on the problem.

Someone else will have to test it in the meantime!

-Ernie.
Old 13th August 2016, 10:23 PM   #9
Statitica

Quote:
I was in the Win10 beta, and spent a lot of time turning things off, but it still wanted to phone home to Micro$oft. So I went back to Win7 32bit. I don't have the 64bit unfortunately, and the 32bit crashes on heavy 3D graphics.

ReactOS has a show stopper bug in the current version which I just downloaded. It can't boot off USB which means I can't install it. They are working on the problem.

Someone else will have to test it in the meantime!

-Ernie.
Looking at the feed on their website, a fix will be released shortly.
Old 14th August 2016, 1:14 PM   #10
ernie Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statitica View Post
Looking at the feed on their website, a fix will be released shortly.
That's good news, I found a HD to install it on last night, but I only have a USB CD drive.

- Ernie.
Old 14th August 2016, 3:24 PM   #11
Statitica

A friend of mine is running it in a VM; says that it is on its way to being something good, but has a way to go yet before it is ready for the average user (i.e. I.T. illiterate) to operate on.
Old 21st August 2016, 2:54 AM   #12
elvis
Old school old fool

0.4.2 was officially released. Full ext2/3/4, BtrFS and UFS read/write support out of the box (making dual-boot with Linux easier to share data partitions - no more need for FAT32, thank goodness).

"Doom 3" and "The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim" apparently are both fully playable on this release!
Old 21st August 2016, 6:11 PM   #13
ernie Thread Starter

I will grab it an see if they fixed the USB boot

- Ernie.
Old 21st August 2016, 6:26 PM   #14
Bold Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
0.4.2 was officially released. Full ext2/3/4, BtrFS and UFS read/write support out of the box (making dual-boot with Linux easier to share data partitions - no more need for FAT32, thank goodness).

"Doom 3" and "The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim" apparently are both fully playable on this release!
AMD has full Linux driver support now as well:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/linux
Old 23rd August 2016, 7:50 PM   #15
ernie Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
AMD has full Linux driver support now as well:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/linux
Kind of, only up to 15.04 I am running 16.04 which they haven't gotten around to yet.

I am not fussed if I run Linux or ReactOS, as long as I can play Aion and Guildwars 2 that's all I use that PC for.

- Ernie.