Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Mobile Phones & Devices > Google Android (OS & Devices)

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 17th October 2016, 9:19 PM   #1
EvilGenius Thread Starter

Default Google Home

Putting this in here because buggered if I know where else to put it..

Google home is an upcoming competitor to the Amazon Echo, and I bloody want one. Too bad they aren't coming to Australia.. WTF..

These things seem to be about as close as you can get to saying 'Tea, early grey, hot.' and getting it.

Features list is pretty long, but basically controls any home automation you care to link it to, voice search, media streaming, any other google assistant features you might already be using with your android phone.

I can't for the life of me think why this device wouldn't be sold in Australia. With the Amazon echo I can mostly understand, Amazon want you to shop with it and they don't have their vast network here in Australia. Google though? They want your data, they don't have a giant online retail network to feed. Is our data not good enough?
Wanted - N64 console - decent controller/s
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 18th October 2016, 6:45 PM   #2
Amfibius

It might be that they want to roll it out in the USA first. Same happened with Google Now. Same with Microsoft Cortana.

"Not coming to Australia" might mean "Not coming to Australia YET" or "Not coming to Australia EVER". Not sure which one.

-Amfibius
Amfibius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 6:52 PM   #3

Yeah I just don't get it. They'd have my money now, like the moment I saw these were available I wanted one. Only outstanding point for me is whether I can get it to respond to jervis instead of 'ok google', because there is nothing natural about saying 'ok google', it just doesn't work.
Old 19th October 2016, 10:06 PM   #4
dreamcaster

I would buy one of these straight away as well. Would consider importing one if there are no issues with getting it powered and language recognition.
Old 22nd October 2016, 3:54 PM   #5
lxboston

I tried to preorder one of these via Shipito and Bestbuy, but I think Bestbuy worked out my credit card was Australian and cancelled the order.

This device looks to add a huge leap in convenience technology, especially once you can control apps like Netflix on Chromecast directly with voice, order Ubers, control my Phillips hue light bulbs and setting timers in the kitchen would be very handy too.

If anyone manages to work out how to import let me know !
lxboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 1:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxboston View Post
I tried to preorder one of these via Shipito and Bestbuy, but I think Bestbuy worked out my credit card was Australian and cancelled the order.

This device looks to add a huge leap in convenience technology, especially once you can control apps like Netflix on Chromecast directly with voice, order Ubers, control my Phillips hue light bulbs and setting timers in the kitchen would be very handy too.

If anyone manages to work out how to import let me know !
https://twitter.com/madebygoogle/sta...79257110466560

Quote:
Quote:
Hank ‏@Hankers 17h17 hours ago

@madebygoogle when the Google Home is released would a unit purchased in the United States work in Canada?
0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes
Made by Google Verified account
‏@madebygoogle

@Hankers Google Home is not guaranteed to work in countries where we haven't launched. Your warranty is voided if you export the device.

Google have had a huge hand in making the internet the global borderless thing that it is, and still they pull this crap.

Old 23rd October 2016, 11:45 PM   #7
lxboston

Hmm it must be the case that they can't guarantee that it will respond to the Australian accent
Old 24th October 2016, 3:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Hmm it must be the case that they can't guarantee that it will respond to the Australian accent
Bit of a BS excuse that one. Google now voice search works just fine. All this google assistant is is a bunch of existing apps they already have working rolled together.

I'd think more likely it's licensing garbage, contracts for which site google assistant will hit for which questions like 'what's the weather like'.
Old 24th October 2016, 11:12 PM   #9
lxboston

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Bit of a BS excuse that one. Google now voice search works just fine. All this google assistant is is a bunch of existing apps they already have working rolled together.

I'd think more likely it's licensing garbage, contracts for which site google assistant will hit for which questions like 'what's the weather like'.
True, it is BS. I thought the website that it picked was supposed to be the best that was setup for their Rankbrain search algo, e.g. the site with the best Schema structure, like the results that end up at the top of search these days.
Old 18th November 2016, 10:50 AM   #10

Summary seems to be, work in progress. What works now works really well, but still missing a lot of features.

Old 7th February 2017, 10:58 PM   #11
lxboston

I've got one here in Melbourne.

Been using it a few weeks, verdict so far:

Upsides

- great portable speaker for the kitchen/main living area (chromecast friendly)
- very easy to play favourite music or spotify playlists (I've got it connected to my Spotify) so I can just say 'play some chet faker' and it will, can also change songs which is cool just by saying 'next song', even just quickly putting on some background piano music is easy
- the timer is very handy for cooking, you can run more than 1 timer simultaneously and give each a name
- I've got it connected to control my living room lamps (Philips Hue, so I can turn them on and set dimming %)
- can call ubers (haven't tried this yet)
- can check my route to work via Google maps in the morning to find out best route and traffic
- good for finding out the weather for the day first thing when getting up
- can speak netflix on chromecast (turns TV on)
- can speak to play the radio e.g. Triple J
- You can add things to your grocery shopping list as you remember it, e.g. add coffee beans to my shopping list, when i go shopping i have the full checklist on my phone
- asking it random facts is fun, how many calories in this etc, who won this football game

Needs improvement

- when playing music and its quite loud it's hard to address it sometimes to turn the volume down, that given its got a very good mic for talking to it across room, i haven't had problem with the Australian accent yet
- it would be great if it could send messages to people via Integration with things like Facebook Messenger and or Whattsapp
- better Skype integration would be good to send messages and or make calls
- would be good if could control the TV e.g. turn on, which channel etc, alas it will turn the TV on if you have a chromecast, but only to use within chromecast
- would be great to have it integrate with grocery delivery providers (this might be the future) to buy your grocery list etc
- would be great to pay bills and transfer money via (internet banking integrations)
- train time integrations, e.g. when does the next train leave x station? i guess they could leverage google search and instant answers already to get this

Be great to hear anyone elses experiences
Old 21st July 2017, 10:52 AM   #12
Agg
Lord of the Pings

This is officially launched in Australia now.

I happened to be killing time in a big-name electronics shop yesterday and saw a big display of them. It surprised me as I had no idea they were launching here.. anyway couldn't resist so grabbed one and will be playing with it tonight.

Anyone else grabbed one now they're official in Oz? Let me know if you find any cool stuff to do with it.
Old 21st July 2017, 10:55 AM   #13
elvis
Old school old fool

For folks on a budget, you can have a crack at making your own.

https://aiyprojects.withgoogle.com/

Old 21st July 2017, 11:08 AM   #14
Stooge007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agg View Post
This is officially launched in Australia now.

I happened to be killing time in a big-name electronics shop yesterday and saw a big display of them. It surprised me as I had no idea they were launching here.. anyway couldn't resist so grabbed one and will be playing with it tonight.

Anyone else grabbed one now they're official in Oz? Let me know if you find any cool stuff to do with it.
i'm sorry Agg, i'm afraid i can't do that ...

www.precisetaxsolutions.com.au
Stooge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 11:24 AM   #15
vladtepes

Quote:
Probably depends on the accent... "OK google chuck a steak on the barbie and grab me a tallie wouldya?"

OK Google open the garage door....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooge007 View Post
i'm sorry Agg, i'm afraid i can't do that ...

Members willing to do pickups for other members

successful trades: see profile.
vladtepes is offline   Reply With Quote