Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Other Toys/Hobbies

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 20th October 2016, 8:06 AM   #1
trop Thread Starter

Default Construction Bricks Discussion - Lego, Lepin, Megablocks, Decool, etc

As requested in the Lego only thread, this thread is for the discussion of all brands of construction bricks.

I think we should keep the replica set discussion to retired sets only, no copies of currently available sets. What are people's thoughts on this?
trop is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 20th October 2016, 10:09 AM   #2
Sharpe

Good idea.I agree with this. I understand it's a grey area, but limiting this discussion to retired sets and original sets from the likes of megabloks et al. keeps it more in the light grey/white than dark grey.

I'd like to start out by saying I love the Star Trek sets that megabloks are coming out with, and i'm also keep to try out the Lepin Imperial Flagship.
Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 11:20 AM   #3
daehenoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
keeps it more in the light grey/white than dark grey.
You can tell the difference in those colors on a Lepin set? ZING!

Disclaimer: I'd never heard of Lepin before this thread.
daehenoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 2:19 PM   #4
Mynamewastaken

Had never heard of Lepin either before this/the Lego thread. Will have to have a look.

Can we add Kre-O to this list? I bought all the Transformer sets when they were on sale at Toyworld for next to nothing. Still have a few unopened to put together. They look pretty decent.

Team Pentax
K3 - K5 - K200D - MX and a bunch o' glass
Mynamewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 2:28 PM   #5
Sharpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynamewastaken View Post
Had never heard of Lepin either before this/the Lego thread. Will have to have a look.

Can we add Kre-O to this list? I bought all the Transformer sets when they were on sale at Toyworld for next to nothing. Still have a few unopened to put together. They look pretty decent.
I assume this thread covers all construction lego-like bricks that aren't lego, so yeah Kre-O would count. I considered their startrek sets when they were out but never liked the look of them.
Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 11:18 PM   #6
PabloEscobar

I also had not heard of Lepin, and now I have.

I've been a Lego Man through and through, purely because of the quality and consistency. I've not built with any of the off-brand blocks recently, but the last time I did, it was a terrible experience. Is that still the case with the Lepin blocks? (someone with first hand experience would be nice to hear from).

Edit:
Bugger Me, That's Cheap, I've ordered the Mini Cooper from aliexpress, and if it's Lego quality, they have a convert. I don't like them ripping off lego designs, but I also don't like lego abusing their monopoly, so I can rationalise it to myself .

Last edited by PabloEscobar; 20th October 2016 at 11:36 PM.
PabloEscobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 2:16 PM   #7
trop Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
I assume this thread covers all construction lego-like bricks that aren't lego, so yeah Kre-O would count. I considered their startrek sets when they were out but never liked the look of them.
We're not brand loyal in here Discuss any bricks you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEscobar View Post
I also had not heard of Lepin, and now I have.

I've been a Lego Man through and through, purely because of the quality and consistency. I've not built with any of the off-brand blocks recently, but the last time I did, it was a terrible experience. Is that still the case with the Lepin blocks? (someone with first hand experience would be nice to hear from).

Edit:
Bugger Me, That's Cheap, I've ordered the Mini Cooper from aliexpress, and if it's Lego quality, they have a convert. I don't like them ripping off lego designs, but I also don't like lego abusing their monopoly, so I can rationalise it to myself .

I'm about 50% of the way through building the Super Star Destroyer and I'm really happy with the set for the price. 95% of the pieces are excellent quality, a few of the technic style bits are a bit tight and cheap feeling though. Some of the longer flat plates are a bit more flexible/bendy than Lego too.

The colours on the manual printing leaves a lot to be desired to honest, it is very hard to tell the difference between dark grey and black a lot of the time. Other than that its fine, its clear and easy to see what goes where.

Overall I'm happy with it for the price but if Lego were to re-release the kit, I would buy that and get rid of this one.

Old 21st October 2016, 2:56 PM   #8
PabloEscobar

Quote:
Originally Posted by trop View Post
I'm about 50% of the way through building the Super Star Destroyer and I'm really happy with the set for the price. 95% of the pieces are excellent quality, a few of the technic style bits are a bit tight and cheap feeling though. Some of the longer flat plates are a bit more flexible/bendy than Lego too.

Overall I'm happy with it for the price but if Lego were to re-release the kit, I would buy that and get rid of this one.
Cheers for the reviews, Nice to see I'm not the only one that uses the condiment trays for lego storage during builds .

What would be the reasons for buying the kit if Lego re-released it?

I had a read of a thread somewhere else last night comparing a Lego vs Lepin kit side by side, and apart from the minifig faces and decal quality... the rest of the kit seems on-par with the legit Lego one.

In a blind test, given a mix of Lego and Lepin pieces, could you tell the difference?
PabloEscobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 5:16 PM   #9
trop Thread Starter

Quote:
Cheers for the reviews, Nice to see I'm not the only one that uses the condiment trays for lego storage during builds .

What would be the reasons for buying the kit if Lego re-released it?
Haha the trays are great for sorting parts! This build has a lot of parts though so I had to raid the cupboard for some plastic cups too.

Main reason I would still buy the Lego kit is because it would be Lego and my collection is Lego. I have no issue paying for their kits and supporting the designers who make them, I do have an issue paying inflated prices to "collectors" who have rooms full of unopened kits just to flip.

This is a very nice kit and the quality is so close it's not funny but it's still not quite as good as the real thing.

Quote:
I had a read of a thread somewhere else last night comparing a Lego vs Lepin kit side by side, and apart from the minifig faces and decal quality... the rest of the kit seems on-par with the legit Lego one.

In a blind test, given a mix of Lego and Lepin pieces, could you tell the difference?
Decals are poor quality, they look like they were printed on a cheap printer. As for the minifigs, I'm not a minifig fan at all and don't collect or display them but the lepin ones are noticeably shitty when compared to the real thing.

In a blind test you would struggle to tell the difference with about 75-80% of the parts ive seen so far. With the ones you can tell it's just minor things like the longer bits being more flexible and the technic not feeling quite right.
Of course, none of the bits have lego written on them so you can tell quite easily really!

Last edited by trop; 21st October 2016 at 6:54 PM.
Old 23rd October 2016, 1:11 PM   #10
Mynamewastaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEscobar View Post

HERE's a big thread I've been reading through with a few comparisons/what to expect etc.

Pretty crazy how close they get.

Team Pentax
K3 - K5 - K200D - MX and a bunch o' glass
Mynamewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 2:56 PM   #11
slavewone

So, has anyone been following Brixo?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/b...-and-iot-diy#/

I'm down for a mad scientist kit to see what functionality I can add to my win95 era mindstorms. I see it as extending Lego, not directly competing because it is all action bits.
Old 28th October 2016, 11:34 AM   #12
cyrax83

135/150 pages done of two falcons. I should finish it tonight I think. Looks excellent and very happy. Where to put it is a different issue lol. It's ridicoulously big. They don't call it the ultimate for no reason (sorry Hoth but you fail)

So far missing parts is minimal

- I'm definitely missing a bunch of the hoses.
- The landing gear hinge black part (7 of them per falcon) were missing so I've skipped that and will see what pieces are left over
- Around 3 to 4 minor pieces which I'm keeping track of and may resurface as I come to the end of the build
- The landing gear technic gray axles are loose so occasionally landing gear falls off, but this will be an easy fix as I'll replace the gray axle with an original part which should solve the issue

I'll then do a parts count on the SSD and build that one a bit slower.

I can honestly say two falcons (over 11,000 pieces) is the biggest build I'll ever do in my life, and not one I'll want to ever repeat
cyrax83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 12:45 PM   #13
cyrax83

Old 31st October 2016, 10:38 PM   #14
uLa32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrax83 View Post
Looks awesome! Any reason why you bought two MF's?

I never knew this stuff existed until Lepin was mentioned. For the models that i think are worth it (mostly Star Wars/UCS sets), I've always bought one to keep it in the box and another to open and build (usually from ebay, already opened to keep costs down). Now i can get the Lepin versions without worrying about losing pieces.

I'm about 1/3 on my MF UCS (first 3 pages and last 10 pages of instructions were missing lol) and i'm pretty impressed with the quality, and no missing parts so far. Can't wait for my ISD and Death Star 2 to arrive. Now, if they released the Y-Wing UCS, I can finally build it and keep my original copy unopened.
Old 1st November 2016, 12:29 AM   #15
cyrax83

Quote:
Originally Posted by uLa32 View Post
Looks awesome! Any reason why you bought two MF's?.
I bought one. But they accidentally sent me two. Lol