Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Apple Desktop Hardware/Software

Notices

Old 28th October 2016, 8:07 AM   #1
giles666 Thread Starter

Default New MacBook Pros

Apple announced a new line of MacBook Pro. These were long overdue, but on first look, it seems like Apple have done a really good job.

The TouchBar thing looks like it will be very useful, and TouchID on the Mac is awesome.

The prices are a little bit steep though, quite a jump over the previous line.

http://www.apple.com/au/macbook-pro/
giles666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 8:14 AM   #2
Elyzion

Not sure if you're joking or not.

This was the worst Apple event in history. Utter disappointment.
Elyzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 8:34 AM   #3
giles666 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyzion View Post
Not sure if you're joking or not.

This was the worst Apple event in history. Utter disappointment.
Really???

What were you looking for?

I was disappointed they didn't do anything with their desktop lineup, but we knew beforehand that this was going to be a laptop only event.
Old 28th October 2016, 8:49 AM   #4
Alfonzo

Why take away all functional ports and give us four of the frigging same?

If I'm travelling and someone gives me a hard drive or a USB stick to copy data from, am I going to have to also carry an adapter just so I can use USB? And why does it make sense to remove the 3.5mm audio jack from the new iPhone, but make sense to keep it as the 5th and only non usb-c port on the pro? That's a slap in the face to anyone that bought the iPhone 7, and either had to re-invest in wireless headphones or ones with a lightning port connection.

There's no way in hell I'll be buying one of these. It's no longer about adding value to your work - it's forcing you to conform to how they want you to work.
Fortunately my 2012 model is still going very very well (touch all the wood things \o/ ) - Sorry Apple, this has to be the most disappointing launch I've seen yet.

Oh, but at least you can get it in space grey...
Alfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 9:00 AM   #5
mrthong

Got the 2010 model, probably stick with that. Price is steeper, no SD card slot, not mag safe, turn off points for me. With a $2,700 price tag, should be i7 or 16,GB ram inside it.
PSN:s2NE1 | Bnet s2ne1#1890 | SteamID: stwoanyone | Orgin: s2ne1
Desktop: i5 3750k 4.3ghz|Gigabyte x77z-up7|8gbGskill|SLi EVGA GTX670 FTW|Cosair RM850|Cosair 650D| WaterCooled
mrthong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 9:01 AM   #6
giles666 Thread Starter

USB-C will only be a short term issue - everything is going that way. Four mulii-purpose ports make WAY more sense than a stack of single purpose ports.

The removal of the headphone jack on the iPhone is because it didn't fit. There is space on the iPad and Macs so it stays on them.

BTW anything with a W1 chip will automatically sync pairing across all your apple devices. So your Beats or AirPods you got for your iPhone will work perfectly with your new Mac.
Old 28th October 2016, 9:16 AM   #7
lombot

I can't see myself moving to this anytime soon. The price point and lack of ports that I utilise on a day to day basis is just to much of a deal breaker for me. The main annoyance is that there are just to many items and people that I need to collaborate with on a day to day basis using things like USB that the requirement to carry another cable and also have to reinvest in all my lightning cables means that the price point moves up another $150, plus cost of lightning to USB (assume $50) plus additional power supply (assuming $100) when you add that and the apple tax it creates a large price gap between this and other devices.

The touch bar looks nice, not sure about the larger touch pad would need to test it in store.

Overall I felt very underwhelmed by the announcement.
lombot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 9:33 AM   #8
Alfonzo

When people carry usb-c sticks and portable hard drives are sold with a USB-c connection without a crazy price tag, then I would consider everything is going that way and would consider spending multiple thousands of dollars for a computer that can only natively take USB-c. Right now it's not a minor issue - I see it as a majorly limiting one to whoever tries to be on the bleeding edge of tech and buys one of these things.

What if you have a mouse that has a USB dongle? I suppose you're supposed to buy an Apple mouse? Ok, hope it never runs out of battery - it comes with a USB charge cable. Same goes with the Magic Keyboard and touch pads. I also hope your iPhone, iPad, or iWatch never needs to be synced directly to your mac or charged from it - all of those devices came and will continue to come with USB cables.

Sorry I think this is batshit insane. They could have given us two usb3 and two USB-c ports and it would have been dandy and I'm sure as shit there would have been space. Instead they've managed to isolate their entire product line from this update with this move. It wasn't a big deal with the 12" MacBook because it was introduced between the Air and the Pro - people still had a choice. No more choice.
Old 28th October 2016, 9:51 AM   #9
sammy_b0i

They already sell adapters for $29

http://www.apple.com/au/shop/product...to-usb-adapter
OCAU is a breeding ground for hyper-moralistic 13 year olds who've never stepped out of the computer room in their entire life. Young liberals, young labor, people who will grow old and die before they ever think about pulling their head out.
sammy_b0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 9:53 AM   #10
miicah

Dual core for $2100 lmao holy shit I'm dying. Only two ports, suprised they didn't remove the headphone jack

EDIT: Well they did remove something, the escape key LOL

CS:GO Videos | Motorcycle Videos

Last edited by miicah; 28th October 2016 at 10:08 AM.
miicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 9:54 AM   #11
giles666 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonzo View Post
When people carry usb-c sticks and portable hard drives are sold with a USB-c connection without a crazy price tag, then I would consider everything is going that way and would consider spending multiple thousands of dollars for a computer that can only natively take USB-c. Right now it's not a minor issue - I see it as a majorly limiting one to whoever tries to be on the bleeding edge of tech and buys one of these things.

What if you have a mouse that has a USB dongle? I suppose you're supposed to buy an Apple mouse? Ok, hope it never runs out of battery - it comes with a USB charge cable. Same goes with the Magic Keyboard and touch pads. I also hope your iPhone, iPad, or iWatch never needs to be synced directly to your mac or charged from it - all of those devices came and will continue to come with USB cables.

Sorry I think this is batshit insane. They could have given us two usb3 and two USB-c ports and it would have been dandy and I'm sure as shit there would have been space. Instead they've managed to isolate their entire product line from this update with this move. It wasn't a big deal with the 12" MacBook because it was introduced between the Air and the Pro - people still had a choice. No more choice.
I moved to Bluetooth everything over a year ago. It's vastly better than bloody wires everywhere.

As for sharing stuff - AriDrop is amazing (and for PC fools, use Dropbox).

The only think I still use USB for is a Compact Flash reader, upgrading that won't be a big issues (and that camera does have wifi if I wanted to ditch those wires)

As for charging your phone etc. Apple sett USB-c to Lightening cables. Just grab a few and your set.

Price wise, the actually compare pretty favourably to the Surface Book - which is probably the most direct competitor.
Old 28th October 2016, 9:57 AM   #12
Arctic_Silver08

Quote:
Originally Posted by miicah View Post
Dual core for $2100 lmao holy shit I'm dying. Only two ports, suprised they didn't remove the headphone jack
No different to my XPS which retailed for $2499
Old 28th October 2016, 10:10 AM   #13
giles666 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Silver08 View Post
Looking around, the Macs are pretty reaonsble.

Similar level/quality laptops (eg. Razor, HP Spectre, Surface Book) are in the same price bracket.
Old 28th October 2016, 10:15 AM   #14
miicah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Silver08 View Post
OK fair point. I still don't know what segment this is really targeting, because if it's professionals, then having no normal USB ports means they need to buy a bunch of adapters for all their existing devices. Dual core is going to be too slow for FinalCut Pro. There are a bunch of people commenting on that Anandtech article about how they want to upgrade badly, but Apple keep changing stuff and not actually offering what professionals really need - aka a proper Mac Pro.

CS:GO Videos | Motorcycle Videos
miicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 10:16 AM   #15
Alfonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by giles666 View Post
As for charging your phone etc. Apple sett USB-c to Lightening cables. Just grab a few and your set.
They are $35 each and serve the sole purpose of syncing to the computer since they aren't compatible with the wall adapter. If I'm travelling with my equipment I now have the wall adapters and usb cables, and now at least two additional cables that I need to pack and keep track of so I can charge or sync my iDevices with the new Pro. And anyone with a Watch is out of luck because watch charger to usb-c does not exist.

Dropbox is great, I use it too - but it's only great provided shared internet is available and everyone already has it. And it is a step backwards to have to duplicate data into Dropbox so you can then share the folder over the internet, requiring you to upload the data, wait for the sync to take effect, and then let them download it. What if we're talking gigabytes? No thank you. That's not viable.