Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 12th November 2016, 10:12 AM   #1
Fouler Thread Starter

Default Distant PC - Remote Control PC Starter

Hi - not sure where to put this topic, but here looks to be the closest match...

I'm planning to move my PC box to a high shelf in a built-in wardrobe about 3m from where I sit. Cable lengths will be about 5-6m for things like monitors and a USB hub with an external optical drive etc., in order to keep things tidy.

But rather than have a step ladder to turn the PC on or reset it, can anyone suggest a remote control device to turn the PC on?

The only thing I've found so far is this:

Logisys PC Remote Start / Reset Controller (RMPC2)

http://www.frozencpu.com/images/prod...in/bus-317.jpg

Doesn't seem to be available in Australia (except by freight forwarders who charge a premium) so would be prepared to get it from the US direct myself.

Any other suggestions would be more than welcome

OCAU ADMIN ACTION FORM
Action taken by: Ma Baker

This form details the modifications made to this thread or post.

Action Taken: Post edited, IMG Tags removed.
Reason for Action: You are not allowed to link images if you're not hosting them yourself or using a hosting service. If you do own the hosting can you please leave a note saying so when you link an image so that we know it's ok to be linked.
Other Information: Please read this thread which will explain the no linking images rule.

Last edited by Ma Baker; 22nd November 2016 at 10:18 AM.
Fouler is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 12th November 2016, 10:24 AM   #2
Bold Eagle

How about set the mouse or keyboard to "Wake from Sleep" then just allow the PC to go to sleep when not in use?

Make sure you have some airflow in the cupboard to ensure the PC can cool sufficiently.
Old 12th November 2016, 10:38 AM   #3
Plax

As per above,

Just use sleep mode and, if you want to be anymore aggressive with power savings use Hybrid Sleep and Hibernate.
Addicted to folding club member #8080
Plax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2016, 10:45 AM   #4
mad_mic3

hava chat with member Jonbanez, I think he used to use a setup like that
mad_mic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2016, 10:00 AM   #5
Gnatty

I used to use Wake on Lan for a server in a closet. When shutdown the motherboard waits for a 'magic packet' on the LAN port to turn on the computer.. you can send it from another computer or phone. Pretty sure that Unified Remote supports WoL, and you can use the remote screen viewer etc as well which is very handy.
Old 18th November 2016, 7:21 PM   #6
Eisenhorn

Is it too much of a pain to wire up some dual core wire with a switch running to the motherboard power switch header?and running that cable with your others and leaving the switch on your table? U can pick up a basic pc power switch for less than a dollar and just some wire to extend it.
Eisenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 9:04 PM   #7
sanousie

I've got almost the same setup, I just use one of those cheap wireless mouse/keyboard mini combo's which go for about 20-30 dollars.

Enabled Sleep/wake modes and its simple as taping a key on the mini keyboard to turn on the pc, but if it freezes, you'd have to manually reset it, which will be abit of hassle.

Best of luck bud, cheers.
Successful trades: VinnY (x 3), Fatmantan, finnigan (x 2), Bravo (x 2), BananaMan, willz, skinz (x 2), mavric41, AnthonyL, bimmer, PLUSCORP, OzTeXs, maxsaw, Anthony256, Mattch3w, Kosti, Branko, pat123, Duckpowder, Cldthorn, magic, AngryAnt, Shaddo, troll, millsy_c, Pepsimax, room4more, vanlan2010
sanousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 5:50 PM   #8
isaakk

Grab some cheap dual core wire, a small momentary push button switch and some of these and these to make a long extended switch to the motherboard headers (just run the wire next to the others).

Or use sleep/wake as suggested above?
Old 19th November 2016, 9:56 PM   #9
callan

You may be able to do something with ONE OF THESE remote control power switches.

Depending on how your BIOS is configured for behaviour on power loss, they might just do the job (change power-on behavior). Experiment first, though.

I use a ton of these all over the house, and they're bloody awesome.

Callan

"I don't like this internet thing anymore, can we have the old version back please?" - BlueRaven
callan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2016, 6:59 AM   #10
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnatty View Post
I used to use Wake on Lan for a server in a closet. When shutdown the motherboard waits for a 'magic packet' on the LAN port to turn on the computer.. you can send it from another computer or phone. Pretty sure that Unified Remote supports WoL, and you can use the remote screen viewer etc as well which is very handy.
I use unified remote and wol works very well when I'm feeling lazy. Added bonus it sends shutdown or reboot commands too.
Old 21st November 2016, 10:33 PM   #11
sanousie

Quote:
Originally Posted by callan View Post
You may be able to do something with ONE OF THESE remote control power switches.

Depending on how your BIOS is configured for behaviour on power loss, they might just do the job (change power-on behavior). Experiment first, though.

I use a ton of these all over the house, and they're bloody awesome.

Callan
Yep same here, everyone should be using these to save electricity, easy way to turn off electrical items wiht out the hassle of fumbling for a switch (great for items that are on standby)

Cheers.
Successful trades: VinnY (x 3), Fatmantan, finnigan (x 2), Bravo (x 2), BananaMan, willz, skinz (x 2), mavric41, AnthonyL, bimmer, PLUSCORP, OzTeXs, maxsaw, Anthony256, Mattch3w, Kosti, Branko, pat123, Duckpowder, Cldthorn, magic, AngryAnt, Shaddo, troll, millsy_c, Pepsimax, room4more, vanlan2010
sanousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 9:23 AM   #12
X-ZemPt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhorn View Post
Is it too much of a pain to wire up some dual core wire with a switch running to the motherboard power switch header?and running that cable with your others and leaving the switch on your table? U can pick up a basic pc power switch for less than a dollar and just some wire to extend it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaakk View Post
Grab some cheap dual core wire, a small momentary push button switch and some of these and these to make a long extended switch to the motherboard headers (just run the wire next to the others).

Or use sleep/wake as suggested above?
This
Why do it the expensive & lazy way when you can do it cheap and properly
I should really update my sig.....nah Main Rig: E6300 @ 3.2Ghz (458*7)| Gigabyte 965P-S3 v3.3 | 4Gb Crucial LanFest @ ****Mhz *-*-*-* | PoV 8800GTS 320Mb @ 600Mhz-GPU/900Mhz-Mem/1300Mhz-Shader | BenQ FP222W 5ms
Trade History: Trade totaling over $8000. No longer keeping track...
X-ZemPt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 9:53 AM   #13
power

Some of you guys are cavemen - who the hell would run cabling and install a power switch when all you need to do is

a) enable WOL in your BIOS.
b) install unified remote on your machine https://www.unifiedremote.com/download
c) grab the unified remote app and install it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...h.Remote&hl=en

Then when you want to wake the machine you open the app on your phone/tablet that is also connected to your network over wifi and hit the WOL button. tada, machine awake. You can do this wherever you are as long as you are on your network. ie sitting on your couch because you are lazy. Alternatively to wake it just run a basic script from another PC.

added bonus, enable WOL and install unified remote to any PC in your house and you can wake, shutdown or restart them as well.

then enable rdp on the machine instead of running a screen/kb and mouse off of it as well.

Last edited by power; 22nd November 2016 at 9:59 AM.
power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 10:26 AM   #14
X-ZemPt

Decent solution for a headless machine, but I believe he still wants to use the monitor/kb/mouse. So he is already running cables for those, just wants to hide the box. So 1 extra cable for power switch isn't really a 'caveman' tactic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Some of you guys are cavemen - who the hell would run cabling and install a power switch when all you need to do is

a) enable WOL in your BIOS.
b) install unified remote on your machine https://www.unifiedremote.com/download
c) grab the unified remote app and install it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...h.Remote&hl=en

Then when you want to wake the machine you open the app on your phone/tablet that is also connected to your network over wifi and hit the WOL button. tada, machine awake. You can do this wherever you are as long as you are on your network. ie sitting on your couch because you are lazy. Alternatively to wake it just run a basic script from another PC.

added bonus, enable WOL and install unified remote to any PC in your house and you can wake, shutdown or restart them as well.

then enable rdp on the machine instead of running a screen/kb and mouse off of it as well.
I should really update my sig.....nah Main Rig: E6300 @ 3.2Ghz (458*7)| Gigabyte 965P-S3 v3.3 | 4Gb Crucial LanFest @ ****Mhz *-*-*-* | PoV 8800GTS 320Mb @ 600Mhz-GPU/900Mhz-Mem/1300Mhz-Shader | BenQ FP222W 5ms
Trade History: Trade totaling over $8000. No longer keeping track...
X-ZemPt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 1:20 PM   #15
mad_mic3

Hi Fouler

Heres a couple of pics of the remote starter kit from member “Jonbanez”

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

If it’s what you need & of any use to you
just pay postage from 2325 & a Thankyou to Jonbanez
mad_mic3 is offline   Reply With Quote