Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 22nd November 2016, 12:06 PM   #1
FR3D1 Thread Starter

Default Network Management software

So I have a home network and would like a software solution to me help monitor usage, block websites and throttle the bandwidth of devices to prevent the kids from hoging the bandwidth.
So my current setup:
A modem router connected to a PC which will be on 24/7 and other wireless devices.
I'll configure the router default gateway to my PC and from my PC I'll configure the default gateway back to the router so that all traffic will have to go through the PC first and so I can monitor and control them.
The PC I'm running will have Windows Server 2016 running in VM and with other services such as DHCP, IIS and DNS.

So I want to use the existing equipment and keep it simple. For those in the field something like how corporate monitor their employess and school monitors their students. I'm open to any suggestion and I'm pretty new to Windows Server so if theres any feature/role that I should install please let me know.
FR3D1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 22nd November 2016, 2:06 PM   #2
BigMah

You should check out SOPHOS UTM, you can get a license for free for personal/home use. Might be what you're looking for.
BigMah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 2:28 PM   #3
cozbert

PF Sense will also do what you want
cozbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 2:52 PM   #4
bugayev
Whammy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR3D1 View Post
I'll configure the router default gateway to my PC and from my PC I'll configure the default gateway back to the router
Except then you'll end up with traffic stuck in your network, since both devices will have the next hop set to the other.

A better solution would be to modify DHCP to set the default gateway for clients as your Windows Server Router Firewall random device (not the best choice at all to be honest), with a route that sets the next hop as the router.

Alternatively, just get a router or firewall that will do what you want without all this extra bullshit. pfsense will be fine.
[/quote]
bugayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 11:14 AM   #5
FR3D1 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.
I was really hoping for some Windows software solution because I really want it to run on top of Server 2016 instead of having running a separate distro. Could there be any Windows based software by any chance?
Old 23rd November 2016, 12:01 PM   #6
303-Acid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMah View Post
You should check out SOPHOS UTM, you can get a license for free for personal/home use. Might be what you're looking for.
This is what I use. I used to have it in a VM along with my WHS2011 VM and it worked fine. I now have it running on its own microserver though.
Old 23rd November 2016, 12:42 PM   #7
cvidler

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
I was really hoping for some Windows software solution because I really want it to run on top of Server 2016 instead of having running a separate distro. Could there be any Windows based software by any chance?
there's TMG (Microsoft Threat Management Gateway).

But the other options here are much better for a home environment (proper 'free', lower footprint, less management overhead).
cvidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 8:40 PM   #8
FR3D1 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvidler View Post
there's TMG (Microsoft Threat Management Gateway).

But the other options here are much better for a home environment (proper 'free', lower footprint, less management overhead).
Seems like the exact software that I needed but after looking it up seem like Microsoft have dropped support on it since 2012 but is there like like a replaced/similar built-in feature in server 2016?

If using a linux distro do I have to have 2 routers 1 for LAN and the other for WAN?

Last edited by FR3D1; 23rd November 2016 at 9:13 PM.
Old 24th November 2016, 6:46 PM   #9
knoted

+1 for PFSense or buy Synology's router (PFSense is based on FreeBSD). OpenWRT or DDWRT can also probably do what you want and there are a few other Linux or BSD based appliances.

I wouldn't even consider a Windows Server based solution for this problem, packet forwarding performance isn't exactly something it's known for. I think you'll be in for a world of headache if you go outside of the standard solutions. Hell, I'm a professional Network Engineer and I wouldn't bother with anything non-standard for home use.
knoted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 10:17 PM   #10
cvidler

Quote:
Seems like the exact software that I needed but after looking it up seem like Microsoft have dropped support on it since 2012 but is there like like a replaced/similar built-in feature in server 2016?
No, good thing too. Using Microsoft for network security tools is like using a tomato for a comb.

Quote:
If using a linux distro do I have to have 2 routers 1 for LAN and the other for WAN?
you only need one router, but it will need two interfaces (be they real NICs, virtuals, one NIC with VLAN subinterfaces etc.)
cvidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 10:57 PM   #11
scottath

Something left field - see if you qualify for the free Cisco Meraki gear - one of the MX64s could do a lot of what your looking for i think.
https://meraki.cisco.com/freemx
I just got one at work to play with, however also use pfsense at home and loving it.
Old 24th November 2016, 11:06 PM   #12
Penfold

I know you wanted something software based but for ease of use and setup you can't beat a router flashed with https://www.gargoyle-router.com . Easy to setup and easy to monitor.
Penfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 12:02 PM   #13
Agg
Lord of the Pings

Minor thread dig. This month we have been chewing through our internet allowance like crazy - nearly all 200GB used and it's only halfway through the month. I even thought someone may have hax0red our wireless but having changed SSID and passwords etc the problem is continuing. Also, when it's just me at home and I am controlling my usage there is not much usage shown. So, given it's school holidays I assume the kids or wifey are using something which is using up all our quota, but from informally monitoring their usage the only new thing is Stan which shouldn't be killing it to this extent with one user on it - and the problem exists on days when wifey insists she hasn't watched Stan. Lots of Netflix but that's quota free on our particular Internode plan. I can see lots of unmetered usage that is presumably Netflix. The kids play on their phones a bit and probably click every horrifying ad and dialog box they see so who knows what is lurking on their phones.

So. Long story short, I want to break down our LAN/Internet traffic by device. Ideally of course I would do this on the router, but our particular Netgear DGND3700v2 does not do that itself and it's not supported by any of the cool custom firmware solutions.

After browsing this thread (and this one) it seems Sophos UTM Home Edition might be the go. I even have an N36L Microserver lying around which would suit the job perfectly (once I add another NIC). But of course that won't track the wireless clients and the kids primarily do stuff on their phones (but the WiFi bandwidth usage reported on their phones is not very high).

Anyway. I guess I'm just thinking out loud at this stage, in case anyone has any brainwave suggestions while Sophos UTM is downloading..
Old 17th January 2017, 12:04 PM   #14
martini.txt

tp-link archer can do decent QOS for cheap, can give your device network priority.

Can also load a custom firmware if you want to get more advanced
Micro - HP N40L w/ Ubuntu, Sickrage, Plex, Deluge
Garage - Honda Hornet 900 & Fiesta ST & BF XR6 Turbo
martini.txt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 12:17 PM   #15
Agg
Lord of the Pings

By the time I order a new router and have it arrive, we'll be out of quota. All I want is a nice report detailing how much bandwidth each IP address or device is using.