Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Mobile Phones & Devices > Google Android (OS & Devices)

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 7th December 2016, 8:35 AM   #1
mr626 Thread Starter

Default Samsung Galaxy S8- Unveiling in Feb 2017

Couldn't see a thread for this one yet.

Looks like the S8 might be going the way of the iPhone and removing the headphone jack:

http://www.sammobile.com/2016/12/06/...eadphone-jack/

Still a few months from being released though, so who knows?
mr626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 7th December 2016, 1:33 PM   #2
Carey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr626 View Post
Couldn't see a thread for this one yet.

Looks like the S8 might be going the way of the iPhone and removing the headphone jack:

http://www.sammobile.com/2016/12/06/...eadphone-jack/

Still a few months from being released though, so who knows?
Interesting, although there's nothing in the article to point to a solid reason for why (internals, case designs, ordering patterns etc)... They just said "It won't be there!".

I hope they're wrong. Phones don't need to be slimmer than what they are. And they'd lose a ton of sales over it - it's not like there's a lack of competition in the android market.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 1:41 PM   #3
Sphinx2000

It's all theory and conjecture at this point...

Quote:
Removing the 3.5mm headphone jack enables Samsung to make the Galaxy S8 thinner while also freeing up more space inside for a bigger battery. Samsung may also integrate stereo speakers which some believe will be made in collaboration with Harman, a company that Samsung is acquiring for $8 billion. Perhaps the company will try to convince customers that this is a trade worth making.
Sphinx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 5:25 PM   #4
Kookooburra

The latest rumours suggest some crazy screen/body ratio...as such a 5.7in screen within a 140mm frame...this of course means it can be safely secured in ones shirt pocket.

Samsung Tab S 8.4 4G
HTC10
Kookooburra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 10:49 PM   #5
Alfonzo

So hypothetically, if Samsung does do what the Apple got slammed for and remove the headphone jack, has there been any speculation about what they'd do for headphones? Would you expect to see wireless headphones in the box, or USB-C corded 'phones, or a 3.5mm dongle?
Alfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 1:23 AM   #6
Kookooburra

Rumours suggest 3.5 jack REMAINS....

Samsung Tab S 8.4 4G
HTC10
Old 20th January 2017, 5:18 PM   #7
Kookooburra

Actually the rumours are all over the shop....as a former jedi i suggest patience

Samsung Tab S 8.4 4G
HTC10
Old 22nd January 2017, 12:37 PM   #8
AERO

i got a galaxy s5, waiting to upgrade my phone for this as i dont want a bomb s7, if they remove the headphone jack that is the deciding factor that ill be shopping elsewhere
curious as to what they will have
Old 22nd January 2017, 4:19 PM   #9
Treggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AERO View Post
i got a galaxy s5, waiting to upgrade my phone for this as i dont want a bomb s7, if they remove the headphone jack that is the deciding factor that ill be shopping elsewhere
curious as to what they will have
S7 =/= Note 7 bomb.
Treggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 4:06 PM   #10
Jimmyb53

Being in the market for a new phone, I'm definitely keen to see what this has to offer. Once my S6 gets assessed at samsung for repair, cost depending I may be getting a new phone.

If the S8 doesn't have that much of an improvement over the S7 I may just get one of those, as they'll be cheaper. Won't get an edge though, find it a useless gimmick.
There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith. Ain't that a bitch.
Jimmyb53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 4:15 PM   #11
samos

I don't get everyone's fascination with a jack. I'm confident in the next 5 years no phones will have a jack, except the Nokia-32 equivalent in that era. I for one can't wait until all the focus is put into super high quality wireless transmission, so I can train at the gym and peace and be metres away from my phone. [can technically do this now, but I want the tech to get even better]

Same goes for home theatre speakers and headphones on my PC. The less cords the merrier IMO.
samos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 5:11 PM   #12
josh_676

I've been on the Galaxy bandwagon since the S3, however finding myself considering going with one of the Chinese 'giant killers', anyone else in the same boat?
josh_676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 5:35 PM   #13
Squeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samos View Post
I don't get everyone's fascination with a jack...... I for one can't wait until all the focus is put into super high quality wireless transmission, so I can train at the gym and peace and be metres away from my phone. [can technically do this now, but I want the tech to get even better]
The tech to transmit all the data required for Hifi is just not feasable yet for such small devices if I recall correctly an article about it.

Also the other issue apart from losing them and issues of Proprietary is having to always charge them. Wired 3.5mm headphones are passive. Just plug em in
Squeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 6:02 PM   #14
samos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezer View Post
The tech to transmit all the data required for Hifi is just not feasable yet for such small devices if I recall correctly an article about it.

Also the other issue apart from losing them and issues of Proprietary is having to always charge them. Wired 3.5mm headphones are passive. Just plug em in
Understood, but todays problems won't be tomorrows. Battery tech will improve as will the tech for transmission.

it's already out in JB, the mrs almost got the wireless headphone kit but it was $250 with a 4 metre range or there abouts.

My mate has had wireless rears in his home theatre for about 7 years, I am sure they have improved heaps since, but damn it makes the place look a whole lot cleaner and they sound good too (sound coming directly behind you, rather than 3 metres up in the corner of a room is far better IMO)
samos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 6:56 PM   #15
MagyaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_676 View Post
I've been on the Galaxy bandwagon since the S3, however finding myself considering going with one of the Chinese 'giant killers', anyone else in the same boat?
Don't do it, China phone bad. Although it depends which brand, the cheap yum cha specials are shite, mate had a couple. The higher end ones I heard some are slack with upgrades to the os.

I'm thinking about losing HTC, had the 7 and 9 and over their shite camera and crap 3.5mm ports.
MagyaR is offline   Reply With Quote