Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:
View Poll Results: What do you think?
Good idea, I would participate 29 72.50%
Good idea, but I don't have the time/ability/desire to participate 11 27.50%
Bad idea 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd January 2017, 12:31 PM   #1
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Default Retro Let's Play: General Discussion

[edit]

We're going ahead with the "Retro Let's Play" idea. There's an FAQ thread here that I'd like to keep for FAQs, HowTos, and other helpful stuff. General discussion about the process, ideas, improvements, criticisms, etc, can all go in this thread. Each month there'll be a dedicated thread to the actual game we're playing, which is linked to from the FAQ thread.

[/edit]

What do folks think of a monthly "Let's Play" section here in the retro subforum?

We can have a discussion for suggestions/nominations each month, and a vote in the final week for what the next month's game will be. Then a separate thread just talking about that game, and what we think of it.

It would be a great way to get people introduced to some classic games they might have missed, or dig deeper into titles they might have glossed over too quickly, or had on their "pile of shame".

Standard rules apply: the game itself has to be at least "10 years old to the day". I'd be willing to let people choose whatever platform they like (often that's fun in itself, to compare and contrast the differences in versions). That would also be more inclusive to people who have limited access to hardware (or PCs fast enough for certain emulators). Obviously we'd try to get a good mix of console, arcade and computer games in, so we cover all bases.

I'm happy to co-ordinate the whole thing here in this subforum. What are people's thoughts on this? I've seen it work well on other forums with larger memberships. Do we have the number of people here to pull this off?

Last edited by elvis; 7th January 2017 at 5:22 PM.
elvis is online now   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 3rd January 2017, 1:13 PM   #2
badmofo

Sounds like a great idea but personally I struggle to find time to play the games on my personal to-do list, so probs wouldn't be involved in this much.
Old 3rd January 2017, 5:35 PM   #3
Oblivion-330

^ What badmofo said.

Antec 300 | EPoX EP-3VSA2 | PIII-S 1.4 @ 1.50Ghz | 3x512MB PC133 SDRAM @143Mhz
ATI 9800 XT | Intel 520 120GB SSD | Antec True 380s
Oblivion-330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 6:45 PM   #4
Krumm

I like the idea and would try to take part when I could. For me personally I would exclude the popular / well known titles like the Mario's, Zelda's, Sonic's etc but I can also see how this would encourage those who may not have played the originals to try them.
Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 7:34 PM   #5
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
I like the idea and would try to take part when I could. For me personally I would exclude the popular / well known titles like the Mario's, Zelda's, Sonic's etc but I can also see how this would encourage those who may not have played the originals to try them.
Agreed, but I also want to avoid going full-snob and ensuring a good percentage of the titles are accessible to newcomers.

But yes, avoiding the cliched titles I think is worthwhile. I'd really like it to be a collection of really fun games that people may have missed for one reason or another.
Old 3rd January 2017, 8:09 PM   #6
DonutKing

I like this idea I don't think I'd contribute videos because I'm terminally dull, but I'd happily try out a game each month and vomit out an opinion on it.
DonutKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 8:18 PM   #7
GumbyNoTalent

great idea let me suggest an all time favorite - Wizball
GumbyNoTalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 8:58 PM   #8
dacow

I think that sounds great! Would love to expand my horizons a bit and get other peoples opinions
dacow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 9:06 PM   #9
nimmers

Good idea, would participate
nimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:05 PM   #10
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Anonymous poll added for ease of counting.
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:34 PM   #11
flu!d
Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Seems like a cool idea.

Here, beat my crappy score on C64anabalt:

I'm addicted to this game, it's frustrating the shit outa me!

Dell T5500, Xeon X5675 Hex core @ 3.46Ghz max, 24GB RAM, GTX 670FTW, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive, 2 x 1TB home/storage drives, Dual Acer V243HQ 1920 x 1080 monitors, Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS and loving it!
flu!d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 2:37 AM   #12
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Some more thoughts on how I'd run it (bullet points because it's late and I'm brain dumping):

* Start a nomination thread for the following month 14 days before hand
* Close nominations and start voting 7 days before hand
* Considering a multi-vote system, as often there's more than one game you'd like to try, and it sucks to only have one vote when that's the case. Dunno.
* Voting closes midnight of the last day of the month
* 1st of the new month, discussion thread opens, we all play the winning title, talk/screenshot/video about our thoughts, feelings, emotions, nostalgia and other general wish-wash on the matter, both current and "back in the day", occasionally throwing in a "get off my lawn".

I'd lock off the nomination/voting thread at the end of each month, and keep the discussion threads open forever so folks can jump in as they please. The current month's discussion and voting threads will be stickied for the month.

I'll also start an FAQ thread with a constantly-updated first post covering every game we've played (easy reference to avoid re-nominating a game twice), and get some contributions on how to get things like emulators, DOSBox, ScummVM and other stuff running for those who need it (probably a bunch of videos we can already link to from helpful members like philscomputerlab).

As above, the original game must be released "10 years to the day" ago or earlier, however ports and re-releases are totally valid to play through and compare (not sequels however - e.g.: if "The Secret of Monkey Island" originally released in 1990 is the game chosen, you can play the 2009 "Special Edition" re-release, but not the 1991 sequel "Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge").
Old 4th January 2017, 11:00 AM   #13
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

More thoughts:

Happy enough for nominations to go through straight to voting. If it gets crazy and there's too many, we'll use a "seconding" system where each one needs a second to get through to voting. But that's extra complication, so I'll leave it alone until it becomes an issue.

I might also automatically carry-over games for voting if the vote was close, or if nominations are light. Doing one of these a month, there's plenty of opportunity for games to get played even if they don't get voted in during the month they were nominated.
Old 4th January 2017, 11:34 AM   #14
QuakeDude
ooooh weeee ooooh

I'd definitely be in for that - I've seen so many game screen shots posted (I think they used to do something similar on Gizmodo or one of those sites) where I'd just look at it and instantly feel bad that everyone else knew what it was, and I'd never seen it
QuakeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 12:09 PM   #15
cdtoaster

I'll give it a try. Prob won't play anything from the 80s unless it's stunts or awesome earl in skaterock or stunt car racer
cdtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote