Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Extreme and Water Cooling

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 7th January 2017, 11:58 AM   #1
Chardiieee Thread Starter

Default Complicated Parallel loop, need opinions

Hi guys

I posted this one on my go-to facebook tech group but no one was really sure if it would work or not. So i need the assistance of some experts.

The pump powering the water flow is a relatively new EK Revo D5 at full speed.

Im also considering doing hard-line for the two pillars, and then soft tubing to the blocks. Just aiming for something unique.

I know the picture is crude but it should get the idea across.

Last edited by Chardiieee; 7th January 2017 at 12:04 PM.
Chardiieee is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 7th January 2017, 12:27 PM   #2
_slacker_

yes it will work. Thats just the same setup as about a hundred thousand SLi/XFire setups across the planet have.

Old 7th January 2017, 12:29 PM   #3
spud42

interesting...
as long as the loop is closed and bled properly it will work. Now the question is how efficient it will be. You are splitting the flow into 4 paths. the amount of flow will be different in each path depending on the flow resistance in the blocks used. With the GPU being the last one the question will be does it get enough flow to stay at reasonable temps?
are 3 240mm rads needed ? that is also a lot of rad to push water through... but i am no expert so i am interested to see what others think.
successful deals: rubix, kooliez,Jim G,X-ZemPt,electro rc,pvtgonzo,Modafroman,Sabien,ryann,mtoti,ktmrida, WarezNimph,Jt612,jkpha5,gabgab1982,Plonkflopped, KaineZX9R, philscomputerlab, Rubens x 2, Mathuisella x2, TheWatcher, Freshwat3r, Wakdog, Mastablasta, Hive, nrzln, Bigtosser ,Hadley ,CM96 ,coldfusion81 x 2, hzac_ , Calindor, Rabih1978 , htpcfan ,Amneet, nOva x 2, havoc_1710, sjhupp ,demiurge3141,CoHmodderSolo, Simwah, Roger, c.f4, sonicthemouse, had_beans, FearTec, KudOZ, ben333_333
spud42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 12:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slacker_ View Post
yes it will work. Thats just the same setup as about a hundred thousand SLi/XFire setups across the planet have.
Yes however mine does involve two extra blocks

Also if anyone hasnt realised yet, it would take roughly 30 fittings and 6 t-junctions, which is roughly 400 bucks worth of EK brand fittings. I could get Barrow fittings for about 150 bucks less but am unsure of the quality difference
Old 7th January 2017, 12:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud42 View Post
interesting...
as long as the loop is closed and bled properly it will work. Now the question is how efficient it will be. You are splitting the flow into 4 paths. the amount of flow will be different in each path depending on the flow resistance in the blocks used. With the GPU being the last one the question will be does it get enough flow to stay at reasonable temps?
are 3 240mm rads needed ? that is also a lot of rad to push water through... but i am no expert so i am interested to see what others think.
Flow and pressure are the key points here, I am completely unsure about how it will work. I dont know if it would evenly be distributed on the inlet side, or if the higher block flow on some blocks would steal from the GPU flow to the point of stagnation.

My assumption at this point is if the bottom inlet of the intake pillar immediately receives the flow from the pump in an upwards direction, it should flow upwards enough to reach the GPU with decent flow - because travelling straight upwards directly seems like it would be an easier flow path rather than taking a 90 degree turn.

Regarding the radiators, I feel like it is necessary. I am overclocking both the CPU and GPU, and the added heat of the blocks (especially the VRM) will contribute a fair amount of heat. I am also aiming for silence, so having more rad space with less fan speed should even out.
Old 7th January 2017, 12:53 PM   #6
_slacker_

shamelessly stolen from EKWB's site :

Old 7th January 2017, 1:29 PM   #7

Quote:
shamelessly stolen from EKWB's site :

This is what I thought, however because the example is using matching blocks, people are claiming (elsewhere) that this is likely the only scenario where this rule applies.
Old 7th January 2017, 1:41 PM   #8
straiton

because your flow is split, you can't be sure water will go where you want.Depends how restrictive each block is.
Water, like electricity, will take the path of least resistance

May need flow restrictors(eg. small tube) to VRM and PCH to make the bulk of the flow go to GPU and/or CPU
Old 7th January 2017, 1:53 PM   #9

I said this on the facebook group post I made prior to this one:

it would be cool if a sponsor could provide the parts so that I can test this, because I dont want to spend $400 bucks on a failed experiment.

I mean, I probably could use all those extra fittings for something else, or sell them at a loss, but ideally this would actually work and be worth the cost.
Old 7th January 2017, 2:20 PM   #10
_slacker_

man run 2 d5s in serial and the loop in parallel and you wont have any worries ever.

I am a little hazy atm so dont know how to express it properly but say you got 3 things :

Fast
Cheap
Reliable

You can only ever have 2 of those things. i.e fast and reliable isnt cheap. Cheap and reliable isnt fast etc.

You with one pump will lose a little pressure and hence flow rates suffer. If you eliminate the pressure problem you will have the flow. While that saying above is true that water will take the path of least resistance, you will be applying equal pressure to all 3 gpu blocks. GPUs really dont need huge amount of water to be tamed.

Its really not hugely important, no leaks is waaaaaay more important

No-one will sponsor you because its been done to death, the romans understood fluid dynamics...
Old 7th January 2017, 3:45 PM   #11
spud42

Quote:
Originally Posted by straiton View Post
because your flow is split, you can't be sure water will go where you want.Depends how restrictive each block is.
Water, like electricity, will take the path of least resistance

May need flow restrictors(eg. small tube) to VRM and PCH to make the bulk of the flow go to GPU and/or CPU
thats what i said and thought...
now i do like the idea of restricting flow to the motherboard blocks seeing as they are first in the vertical distribution pipe. say make those 10mm pipe and the GPU/CPU pipes 13mm. this would probably even out the flow more or possibly bias it to the CPU/GPU blocks.
slackers idea of 2 pumps could work too. add it between the vertical outlet pipe and the first rad... room may be an issue i just realised thats where the PSU goes.
successful deals: rubix, kooliez,Jim G,X-ZemPt,electro rc,pvtgonzo,Modafroman,Sabien,ryann,mtoti,ktmrida, WarezNimph,Jt612,jkpha5,gabgab1982,Plonkflopped, KaineZX9R, philscomputerlab, Rubens x 2, Mathuisella x2, TheWatcher, Freshwat3r, Wakdog, Mastablasta, Hive, nrzln, Bigtosser ,Hadley ,CM96 ,coldfusion81 x 2, hzac_ , Calindor, Rabih1978 , htpcfan ,Amneet, nOva x 2, havoc_1710, sjhupp ,demiurge3141,CoHmodderSolo, Simwah, Roger, c.f4, sonicthemouse, had_beans, FearTec, KudOZ, ben333_333

Last edited by spud42; 7th January 2017 at 3:50 PM.
spud42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 4:01 PM   #12
_slacker_

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud42 View Post
slackers idea of 2 pumps could work too. add it between the vertical outlet pipe and the first rad... room may be an issue i just realised thats where the PSU goes.
I was meaning something along ther lines of this type pump arrangement ...

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xtop-re...-d5-pwm-serial
Old 7th January 2017, 6:20 PM   #13
desertstalker

IMO series config is going to be simpler and deliver similar performance (better likely if all your water goes through the VRM/RAM sinks).

As has been stated putting things in parallel will cause uneven flow rates and since CPU/GPU blocks are the most restrictive they will get the least flow (the opposite of what you want).
desertstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 11:00 PM   #14
_slacker_

what case you got Chardiieee?
Old 8th January 2017, 3:03 AM   #15

Quote:
what case you got Chardiieee?
its exactly as designed, a TJ07, inverted like this. I even used the RIVBE board Im doing this with. Its accurate and to scale. Roughly.