Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Hobby Engineering

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 11th January 2017, 9:28 PM   #1
Menthu_Rae Thread Starter

Default Aluminium Extrusion Help

Hey all,

I really like the concept behind the Lian Li PC-Q36:

www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-q36/

I would like to try to build my own case using a similar method... however - no matter where I look I can't seem to find an identical (let alone similar!) aluminium extrusion corner piece that would allow a relatively thin (say 1-3mm) panel to slide in...

Click to view full size!

I have checked minitec/maytec/capral... does anyone have any other ideas of where I could source such an extrusion? Or am I SOL and it's likely fully custom made just for Lian Li?

Thanks!
System Specs: i7 3770S, Noctua NH-U9B SE2, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600, ASUS P8Z77M-PRO, 6GB ASUS GTX980 Ti, 256GB/512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSDs, 2x 5TB Toshiba HDDs [RAID1], Dell U3011, ASUS Xonar Essence One, Audioengine 5+, LianLi PC-A04B, 3x Noctua NF-F12-iPPC-2000, 3x Noctua NF-B9 Redux 1600PWM, 1kW Silverstone ST1000P. 50+ Trades.
Menthu_Rae is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 11th January 2017, 10:07 PM   #2
underskore

your most likely shit out of luck... custom profiles are as common as anything and Lian-Li are a pretty big fish in the case game, if they wanted a custom extrusion they'd just go out and get it made. I think one of our suppliers will ignore die costs if we will be buying a few tonne of the shape in the first couple of years - at one point we were even ordering our own size flat bars, custom shapes are very very common.

I'd be looking into systems like 8020... https://8020.net/1012.html
I doubt that exact one is going to work for you but it might be some inspiration. There is a lot of systems like 8020, it's just the first one to come to mind.

edit: they also have these... https://8020.net/shop/9355.html#prod...ription_tabbed

edit2: close the tabs and walk away... http://www.modularcomponents.com.au/...ks/profiles-5/ (still not a silver bullet but they have some good accessories)

Last edited by underskore; 11th January 2017 at 10:18 PM.
underskore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 10:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by underskore View Post
your most likely shit out of luck... custom profiles are as common as anything and Lian-Li are a pretty big fish in the case game, if they wanted a custom extrusion they'd just go out and get it made. I think one of our suppliers will ignore die costs if we will be buying a few tonne of the shape in the first couple of years - at one point we were even ordering our own size flat bars, custom shapes are very very common.

I'd be looking into systems like 8020... https://8020.net/1012.html
I doubt that exact one is going to work for you but it might be some inspiration. There is a lot of systems like 8020, it's just the first one to come to mind.
Thanks for the reply - yeah profiles like that 8020 one you linked are relatively common but the gap/channel is very wide (in the case of that one, around 6.5mm). Companies like minitec / maytec have inserts you can use to allow thinner panels to slot in nicely - but they are designed to edge-mount and stay in there, whereas I'd obviously want the panels to slide along the length of the channel to be removed.

I have found that just standard makerbeam has ~3mm channel which may be suitable with 3mm sheet (depending on sheet/beam tolerance)... it would mean a much heavier case than I'd like but if it means it can be made through readily available parts then all the better.

I shall keep investigating!
System Specs: i7 3770S, Noctua NH-U9B SE2, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600, ASUS P8Z77M-PRO, 6GB ASUS GTX980 Ti, 256GB/512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSDs, 2x 5TB Toshiba HDDs [RAID1], Dell U3011, ASUS Xonar Essence One, Audioengine 5+, LianLi PC-A04B, 3x Noctua NF-F12-iPPC-2000, 3x Noctua NF-B9 Redux 1600PWM, 1kW Silverstone ST1000P. 50+ Trades.
Old 11th January 2017, 10:53 PM   #4
underskore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menthu_Rae View Post
I shall keep investigating!
the winnebago/caravan cabinetry industry would have to have some corner profiles for thin panels, but you probably won't get much many matching accessories...

adhesive backed ptfe tape could be handy for achieving a snug but not jammed fit
underskore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 9:25 AM   #5
psychobunny

That is a custom moulded profile. You are SOL

You should look into adapting existing profiles (look at something like marine keel trims on the capral catalogue (section EL6077 or EL6421 might work)

Alternatively make a sandwich of 3 L profiles; middle one being the thickness of the panels you have but with shorter arms. This will create a channel for you. try to get the inner most angle to also include a rope channel or a solid piece that you can use as a screw point to fix the end caps too

-edit-

http://www.aluminiumprofile.com.au/p...LS.084.100.007 you may need a shim or a controlled bend to close the opening

Originally Posted by clinic: psychobunny'dô twice in one thread. Well played sir, well played...
Originally Posted by Agg: I am not good with computer.

Last edited by psychobunny; 12th January 2017 at 10:25 AM.
psychobunny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 12:44 PM   #6
SimParadox

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
http://www.aluminiumprofile.com.au/p...LS.084.100.007 you may need a shim or a controlled bend to close the opening
Malwarebytes gave me a malicious website warning when I hovered over this link.
Intel 6850K, ASRock X99 Taichi, Corsair T780 case, Corsair RM1000i power supply, Samsung 960 EVO M2.SSD, 2TB WD Black, 32GB (4x8GB) G.Skill RipJaws DDR4-3000, Corsair H115i cooler, Asus GeForce GTX 1070 OC 8GB.
SimParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 1:41 PM   #7
vladtepes

Malwarebytes isn't perfect....
vladtepes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 8:29 PM   #8
MoonShadow

Octanorm do some weird profiles. Not sure about pricing and availability.

http://www.octanorm.com.au/MediaLibr...10_enu.doc.pdf
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 8:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
That is a custom moulded profile. You are SOL

-edit-

Not a bad option but not sure of the channel width - always good to have options though, so thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShadow View Post
Octanorm do some weird profiles. Not sure about pricing and availability.

http://www.octanorm.com.au/MediaLibr...10_enu.doc.pdf
Cool - I like that the channel width is ~4.3mm and that they go down to 18mm x 18mm... M1618 seems pretty good - can probably thread an M6 in there.

I've had some ideas about how I could nicely get a machined or 3D printed "guide" onto a relatively thin sheet so that it fills the channel width out but lets me keep a low-mass sheet.

Thanks for all the ideas and if anyone has any more - keep them coming!