Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Mobile Phones & Devices > Mobile Phone What/Where to Buy, WTB and Price Check

Notices

Old 31st January 2017, 9:41 PM   #1
X-ZemPt Thread Starter

Default Dual Active Sim 4G Phone?

Long story short. I have two Telstra 4G sim cards I am wanting to put in a single phone.
Sim 1 - Personal. Main sim used for calls/texts/data. 4G.
Sim 2 - Work. Used occasionally for calls/text. Would like to be able to use data from this sim sometimes also if possible. Again, Telstra 4G.

Need to be able to send/receive calls and text on both sims. And ideally switch between sims for data.

Anyone got suggestions of what phones would allow this? Not familiar with dual sim phones much. But realise a lot don't allow both sims to actively receive calls/texts.

Thanks for help/suggestions.
I should really update my sig.....nah Main Rig: E6300 @ 3.2Ghz (458*7)| Gigabyte 965P-S3 v3.3 | 4Gb Crucial LanFest @ ****Mhz *-*-*-* | PoV 8800GTS 320Mb @ 600Mhz-GPU/900Mhz-Mem/1300Mhz-Shader | BenQ FP222W 5ms
Trade History: Trade totaling over $8000. No longer keeping track...
X-ZemPt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 7:11 AM   #2
The Sentinel

I think you mean "dual".
Interested to hear replies on this. I was after dual sim when I was researching fmmy S7 but only the overseas model supported two sims.
Old 1st February 2017, 9:28 AM   #3
marknvicky

Have a look at this thread over at Whirlpool
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/foru....cfm?t=2543939
As lot of dual sim phones can only get 2g on the second sim when both are active only some of the newer soc can do 3g on the second sim
marknvicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 5:33 PM   #4
X-ZemPt Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknvicky View Post
Have a look at this thread over at Whirlpool
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/foru....cfm?t=2543939
As lot of dual sim phones can only get 2g on the second sim when both are active only some of the newer soc can do 3g on the second sim
Cheers. Will have a look.
I should really update my sig.....nah Main Rig: E6300 @ 3.2Ghz (458*7)| Gigabyte 965P-S3 v3.3 | 4Gb Crucial LanFest @ ****Mhz *-*-*-* | PoV 8800GTS 320Mb @ 600Mhz-GPU/900Mhz-Mem/1300Mhz-Shader | BenQ FP222W 5ms
Old 3rd February 2017, 9:11 PM   #5
X-ZemPt Thread Starter

Looking like the Moto G4 Plus or Moto Z Play might be my best bet. With band 28 support, dual standby 4g/3g and separate SD slot.
Might see if I can get a good deal on one over the weekend.
Old 10th February 2017, 7:37 PM   #6
X-ZemPt Thread Starter

Bit of an update. Ordered a G4 Plus 32Gb/3Gb version yesterday, arrived this aro.
Very impressed with it so far. Nice and quick, decent build quality.
Will update thread after a week or so with feedback. But for a sub $400 phone (Inc postage), it looks very impressive.

Edit: The Oppo R9s looked like a good option also. Pretty new model I think.

Last edited by X-ZemPt; 10th February 2017 at 7:40 PM.
Old 6th April 2017, 9:22 AM   #7
X-ZemPt Thread Starter

So stumbled across this thread again when looking for another of my threads and thought I would give some more feedback for anyone else looking for a dual sim 4g/3g phone.

I'm REALLY impressed with the Moto G4 Plus 32Gb/3Gb, haven't really noticed any slowness when using the phone except for when using Google Maps when driving and having some podcasts playing at the same time it has bombed out (I don't use it for games though). Watching Plex/Youtube, Spotify, general browsing etc haven't had any issues. I came from an Galaxy S6 with Samsung rom.
Moto Android rom is as close to standard ASOP you will get from a manufacturer, no bloatware at all except for a Moto app that gives you some very useful gestures etc for turning on torch and camera etc without unlocking screen.
Battery life on average is 48 hours, which surprised me for a dual sim phone. I only ever charge my phone when driving to/from work now and once over a weekend.
For a basic mid range phone I'd definitely recommend. If you were after a bit extra CPU power I'd suggest looking at the Moto Z Play, but it is nearly double the price last I checked. I would assume features/android wise it would be very similar just with faster CPU.
Old 8th April 2017, 9:53 AM   #8
congoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-ZemPt View Post
So stumbled across this thread again when looking for another of my threads and thought I would give some more feedback for anyone else looking for a dual sim 4g/3g phone.

I'm REALLY impressed with the Moto G4 Plus 32Gb/3Gb, haven't really noticed any slowness when using the phone except for when using Google Maps when driving and having some podcasts playing at the same time it has bombed out (I don't use it for games though). Watching Plex/Youtube, Spotify, general browsing etc haven't had any issues. I came from an Galaxy S6 with Samsung rom.
Moto Android rom is as close to standard ASOP you will get from a manufacturer, no bloatware at all except for a Moto app that gives you some very useful gestures etc for turning on torch and camera etc without unlocking screen.
Battery life on average is 48 hours, which surprised me for a dual sim phone. I only ever charge my phone when driving to/from work now and once over a weekend.
For a basic mid range phone I'd definitely recommend. If you were after a bit extra CPU power I'd suggest looking at the Moto Z Play, but it is nearly double the price last I checked. I would assume features/android wise it would be very similar just with faster CPU.
Thanks for your detailed feedback. Can you pm me where you got it from?
My Lenovo K3 Note digitiser died (common fault with this model) and was looking for a replacement with 4G/3G dual sim phone.
congoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2017, 9:58 AM   #9
X-ZemPt Thread Starter

I purchased mine from https://www.mobileciti.com.au for around $380 delivered. You can get grey imports cheaper. But Australian warranty and tax invoice were worth the extra money for me as it is used as a work phone. Plus delivery was very quick, only took a day or two from Sydney to Bris with the free postage option.
You can get the 16Gb/2Gb cheaper if ram isn't an issue for you. Then chuck an SD card in for extra storage, has a separate SD card slot, not shared with a sim slot like some dual SIM phone.
Old 8th April 2017, 10:39 AM   #10
congoh

Quote:
I purchased mine from https://www.mobileciti.com.au for around $380 delivered. You can get grey imports cheaper. But Australian warranty and tax invoice were worth the extra money for me as it is used as a work phone. Plus delivery was very quick, only took a day or two from Sydney to Bris with the free postage option.
You can get the 16Gb/2Gb cheaper if ram isn't an issue for you. Then chuck an SD card in for extra storage, has a separate SD card slot, not shared with a sim slot like some dual SIM phone.
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
congoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2017, 11:20 AM   #11
ikonz0r

Quote:
Long story short. I have two Telstra 4G sim cards I am wanting to put in a single phone.
Sim 1 - Personal. Main sim used for calls/texts/data. 4G.
Sim 2 - Work. Used occasionally for calls/text. Would like to be able to use data from this sim sometimes also if possible. Again, Telstra 4G.

Need to be able to send/receive calls and text on both sims. And ideally switch between sims for data.

Anyone got suggestions of what phones would allow this? Not familiar with dual sim phones much. But realise a lot don't allow both sims to actively receive calls/texts.

Thanks for help/suggestions.
You do realise dual active simply means two concurrent communication streams at once. i.e. 2x data or 2x voice which as a human can prove both expensive and difficult.

It also means more overhead and reduced battery. I've rocked dual sims for the better part of a decade... I've been through dozens of them. Nothing wrong with standby, but personally I prefer to carry 2 around these days for longevity.. and ensure 1 of the 2 is dual sim for lighter loads at times.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
ikonz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2017, 11:31 AM   #12
X-ZemPt Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonz0r View Post
You do realise dual active simply means two concurrent communication streams at once. i.e. 2x data or 2x voice which as a human can prove both expensive and difficult.

It also means more overhead and reduced battery. I've rocked dual sims for the better part of a decade... I've been through dozens of them. Nothing wrong with standby, but personally I prefer to carry 2 around these days for longevity.. and ensure 1 of the 2 is dual sim for lighter loads at times.
Yea, I do now.
Having never used or looked at buying a dual sim phone before now, I wasn't up with all the lingo!
Turns out what I was actually after was 'dual standby', meaning being able to make a single phone call at a time from either sim card or using data from a single sim card (can manually switch between which sim to use for data).
I believe dual active are not very common, especially in dual 3G/4G. Dual standby are not common either in that config, but there is still enough variety to choose from as least.
From 'regular' use the G4 Plus (3000mAh battery) gives me around 36-48 hours of battery life. The other day I was listening to podcasts for a good 8 hours while working and chewed the battery much quicker. I was quite surprised I was able to get that amount of use out of a dual sim phone actually, very pleased with my choice to get the G4 Plus
Old 27th April 2017, 9:04 AM   #13
Stooge007

thanks for the mini review on the G4 Plus

i'm tossing up between the G4 Plus (3gb RAM/32gb) and the Lenovo Zuk Z2 (4gb RAM/64gb)

on paper, the Zuk Z2 wins hands down, faster processor, more RAM etc.

but the G4 Plus has 5.5" screen and expandable storage

both around the same price (grey import)

any thoughts?

www.precisetaxsolutions.com.au
Stooge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 10:04 AM   #14
X-ZemPt Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooge007 View Post
thanks for the mini review on the G4 Plus

i'm tossing up between the G4 Plus (3gb RAM/32gb) and the Lenovo Zuk Z2 (4gb RAM/64gb)

on paper, the Zuk Z2 wins hands down, faster processor, more RAM etc.

but the G4 Plus has 5.5" screen and expandable storage

both around the same price (grey import)

any thoughts?
In the end I went for the Moto G4 Plus 32Gb/3Gb due to being local stock/support and supporting band 28 4G. I paid $389 delivered I think, def could of got it cheaper as a grey import.
The fact that the rom on it is basically stock without bloatware is a bonus, I didn't have to mess around with flashing a new rom.
If I had a bigger budget I prob would of went the Moto Z Play for the faster CPU, but I am very satisfied with my choice.

Edit: The G5 Plus has been released I think, not sure if it is duel sim. Might be worth checking out.
Old 27th April 2017, 10:46 AM   #15
Stooge007

Quote:
In the end I went for the Moto G4 Plus 32Gb/3Gb due to being local stock/support and supporting band 28 4G. I paid $389 delivered I think, def could of got it cheaper as a grey import.
The fact that the rom on it is basically stock without bloatware is a bonus, I didn't have to mess around with flashing a new rom.
If I had a bigger budget I prob would of went the Moto Z Play for the faster CPU, but I am very satisfied with my choice.

Edit: The G5 Plus has been released I think, not sure if it is duel sim. Might be worth checking out.
awesome, thanks for the reply

www.precisetaxsolutions.com.au
Stooge007 is offline   Reply With Quote