Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Hobby Engineering

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 13th February 2017, 1:44 PM   #1
psychobunny Thread Starter

Default If I had a ? machine, i would make a ? widget (manufacturing machines only please)

Just for a bit of fun, I thought i'd set this up.

Lots of people want 3d printers, cnc routers, laser engravers/cutters, etc. I was one of them, and now i have a cnc router.

Many people here have one of these machines, if so, pick a machine you dont have

I'll start.

If i had a laser engraver i would use it to cut out gears and make a clock

Originally Posted by clinic: psychobunny'dô twice in one thread. Well played sir, well played...
Originally Posted by Agg: I am not good with computer.

Last edited by psychobunny; 28th February 2017 at 9:19 AM. Reason: Muppets keep posting off topic
psychobunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 13th February 2017, 6:03 PM   #2
Life_Essence

How vague can we be?
My first thought of this was a nice shed/room so I could actually have all the stuff that I own in a spot I can actually use it instead of 250km away, milling machine, lathe, MIG welder, bandsaw, untold numbers of hand/power tools etc.

For a better answer it'd be a laser as well though for making PCB's for many a project that start and never finish.

[Logitech 'G' Owners Club Member #22]
Life_Essence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2017, 9:27 PM   #3
rainwulf

if i had a metal lathe, i would make model steam engines, air pumps, steampunk looking things that reciprocate, air compressors, pulleys.
Old 13th February 2017, 11:00 PM   #4
Rass

if I had a high end laser cutter or CNC milling machine... i would make coin striking dies. I would also cut out knife blanks (and maybe partially shape them). Plus engrave nice patterns on the knives.

If I had a good quality CNC engraver (capable of engraving soft metals, cutting plastics and wood), I would make embellished decorative parts for furniture/housewares and cool cases for my electronic projects, customised boxes for storing my tools and toys and carving wax models as well as molds for casting.

If I had a good quality laster cutter/engraver, I would use it to cut leather for my leather working hobbies, engrave/decorate wooden boxes and cases for my projects or customising gifts.

If I had an inexpensive CNC engraver that could only do soft woods and plastics, I would use it similarly to above - making or decorating cases and boxes, as well as making molds and models for casting (both resin and metal casts). I would also tool around with making things like keychains and fancy labels. I'd also see if I could convert it to a laser marker, so I could try burning designs into leather, wood and other materials to help customise projects.

If I had a good 3d printer, I would use it to make cases for my projects, experiment with making molds or masters for casting, and prototypes for whatever took my fancy (most likely thinks like geared mechanisms that can be interacted with, given away or added to create physical interfaces to computing).

If I had a bad quality 3d printer, I would make a mess.
Rass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 7:20 AM   #5
psychobunny Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rass View Post
If I had a good quality laster cutter/engraver, I would use it to cut leather for my leather working hobbies
You must like the smell of burnt hair... did this once and it was horrible! if you wet the leather though the engraving of it comes up well

Originally Posted by clinic: psychobunny'dô twice in one thread. Well played sir, well played...
Originally Posted by Agg: I am not good with computer.
psychobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 12:04 PM   #6
Rass

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
You must like the smell of burnt hair... did this once and it was horrible! if you wet the leather though the engraving of it comes up well
I hadn't thought about that; however I get the feeling if I was getting a decent quality laser cutter/engraver, I would definitely be looking at awesome venting and filtering.
Rass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 12:40 PM   #7
ShadowBurger

If I had a decent CNC mill, I'd use it to cut carbon fiber sheet and mill aluminium to build big drones!
Old 17th February 2017, 3:06 PM   #8
tunksy

If i had a cnc mill.... id make custome heatsinks for my computing gear
Old 17th February 2017, 3:11 PM   #9
elvis
Old school old fool

If I had a CNC machine I'd make a dozen bartop RPi powered arcade machines for my friends.

If I had a 3D printer I'd make a dozen handheld RPi powered game machines (handheld and under-TV) for my friends.
Old 17th February 2017, 3:38 PM   #10
mad_mic3

Plenty off old skool manual machines that I would like & would have a use for before getting some cnc googies
making 1 0ff/custom cars/rods
mad_mic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 8:19 PM   #11
Matthew kane

If I had a CNC, a 5 pivot point milling machine and a laser engraver I would go mass production with my audio business, rather than sourcing stuff from overseas.
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | Zotac AMP! Edition GTX 980 Ti | PNY GTX 465 unlocked to 470 | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter
Matthew kane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 7:47 PM   #12
Azrael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_Essence View Post
How vague can we be?
My first thought of this was a nice shed/room so I could actually have all the stuff that I own in a spot I can actually use it instead of 250km away, milling machine, lathe, MIG welder, bandsaw, untold numbers of hand/power tools etc.

For a better answer it'd be a laser as well though for making PCB's for many a project that start and never finish.
Yeah, im in the 'bigger garage' category as well. That way i could move the lathe, mill, bandsaw, jointer and tablesaw over here. Then again i do have a decent sized setup already.

Next on the list for me is probably a CNC router/laser cutter.
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 9:02 PM   #13
Ratzz

First on my list would be a decent shed, but I don't have a large enough yard. Then I think I'd love to have a selection of lathes. Never actually used one, but I want so much.... carving steel and wood, love it.

A 3d printer would be way cool too. So many plastic things get thrown away because of a simple plastic part crapping itself.. so many interesting things to make for the inside of a PC.. it would never stop printing !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seizium View Post
I did visit the NBN van today at Westfields North Lakes, but their internet connection wasn't working so they couldn't give me any information
My Rig
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 3:26 PM   #14
Nitephyre

If I had a/an [insert machine here] I'd still be fucking useless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmagga View Post
There aren't too many things you can cuddle and BBQ
Nitephyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 9:10 AM   #15
FuzwaldQO

If I had a time machine, I'd get next weeks lotto jackpots numbers. Then I could buy any widget I wanted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbagesquirrel View Post
they want a bad boy, but you hit them once and suddenly its australia says no.
FuzwaldQO is offline   Reply With Quote