Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Mobile Phones & Devices > Mobile Phone What/Where to Buy, WTB and Price Check

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 28th February 2017, 9:45 AM   #1
CoHmodderSolo Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Darwin
Posts: 227
Default Rugged Smartphone

This is a WTB and What to buy? combined thread. I dont know what I want but if you have something that will suit me Ill buy it!

My work and lifestyle is taking its toll on my Galaxy Note 3 and is destroying the poor thing. I want something rugged that will withstand the test of time (and me) - water, dust/dirt, drop resistance. Internet access and GPS is important because I use them often.

At the moment Im looking at something that can complement the Note 3 - I will take new phone out work and leave the Note 3 when Im going out dinner or something. If I can get a new phone that can completely replace the Note 3, that is even better!

I solely use my phone for calls, texts and information gathering (internet research, finding location). I dont game or use intensive apps.

Im willing to spend $200, but can stretch it to $400 for the device of my dreams.

Cheers
__________________
Main PC (WIP): i7 4770k, Asrock Z97 ITX wifi, 2x8GB RAM, Asus GTX 960 Mini, XFX 450w PSU
Laptop: Dell Inspiron 13 7000 series 2 in 1, Metabox N150RF i7 6700HQ
CoHmodderSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 9:51 AM   #2
power
Member
 
power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: brisbane
Posts: 50,752
Default

Telstra rebrand a fairly decent ZTE device. Even ships with a glass screen protector.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-ph...tra-tough-max#

Probably higher than your budget but the only other real options are getting a real tough case not just using a phone nekid.
__________________
this is who we are.
power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 10:18 AM   #3
supasaiyan
Member
 
supasaiyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 3000
Posts: 3,852
Default

Sony Z1 or Z3 would fit what you're after.. i sold my Z1 for $100ish and my Z3 for $200ish
supasaiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 2:57 PM   #4
CoHmodderSolo Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Darwin
Posts: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Telstra rebrand a fairly decent ZTE device. Even ships with a glass screen protector.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-ph...tra-tough-max#

Probably higher than your budget but the only other real options are getting a real tough case not just using a phone nekid.
Ive tried to avoid long term plans since my Note 3 but that looks like a good option. Ill consider it, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasaiyan View Post
Sony Z1 or Z3 would fit what you're after.. i sold my Z1 for $100ish and my Z3 for $200ish
Ive never thought much about Sony phones, are they considered as 'rugged'?
__________________
Main PC (WIP): i7 4770k, Asrock Z97 ITX wifi, 2x8GB RAM, Asus GTX 960 Mini, XFX 450w PSU
Laptop: Dell Inspiron 13 7000 series 2 in 1, Metabox N150RF i7 6700HQ
CoHmodderSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 3:04 PM   #5
supasaiyan
Member
 
supasaiyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 3000
Posts: 3,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoHmodderSolo View Post
Ive never thought much about Sony phones, are they considered as 'rugged'?
nowadays, pretty much all the smart phones are basically the same (in terms of "ruggedness" - apart from the Active range of Galaxy's). I had a pretty thick case on my z1/z3 and they lasted through a couple of under 3 kids using them for a while, with no real damage. Only time i damaged it, was when i took the case off and then managed to drop it which messed up one of the corners a bit

Overall, they are pretty good phones. Camera was good for outdoor pictures but found that inside pictures used to be a bit grainy. The waterproofing was good (as long as you keep the charging flaps closed, can get magnetic chargers so you don't have to open the flaps)
supasaiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 3:13 PM   #6
power
Member
 
power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: brisbane
Posts: 50,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasaiyan View Post
nowadays, pretty much all the smart phones are basically the same (in terms of "ruggedness" - apart from the Active range of Galaxy's). I had a pretty thick case on my z1/z3 and they lasted through a couple of under 3 kids using them for a while, with no real damage. Only time i damaged it, was when i took the case off and then managed to drop it which messed up one of the corners a bit

Overall, they are pretty good phones. Camera was good for outdoor pictures but found that inside pictures used to be a bit grainy. The waterproofing was good (as long as you keep the charging flaps closed, can get magnetic chargers so you don't have to open the flaps)
You reckon? Every modern smartphone IMO needs a good tough case or it'll get destroyed the first time it's dropped.

The tough max is IP67 rated against dust and moisture also has wireless charging - no opening flaps and the body is rubberised to protect it from drops. Has blue tick and 4GX. I'm no fan of ZTE's Android skin but I've seen a lot worse and the OP's requirements from that side aren't demanding anyway.

We buy these for our warehouse managers because well they drop shit and have yet to have a broken one.

They are available outright - but they are not cheap, but then they aren't junk either so there's that. Last time I was in a Telstra store they had them on display to look at.

I don't know of any other tough smartphones but I'm sure they are out there, as I said though, most phones can survive quite a lot of abuse in a good case - but it's gotta be chunky.
__________________
this is who we are.
power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 10:52 PM   #7
Hater
Member
 
Hater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,377
Default

http://www.catphones.com/phones/b15-smartphone.aspx

Just an idea.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Quote me in 2026, and if I'm wrong, I'll buy you a nice steak dinner.
Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 12:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!