Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Mobile Phones & Devices > Mobile Phone What/Where to Buy, WTB and Price Check

Notices

Old 28th February 2017, 9:45 AM   #1
CoHmodderSolo Thread Starter

Default Rugged Smartphone

This is a WTB and What to buy? combined thread. I dont know what I want but if you have something that will suit me Ill buy it!

My work and lifestyle is taking its toll on my Galaxy Note 3 and is destroying the poor thing. I want something rugged that will withstand the test of time (and me) - water, dust/dirt, drop resistance. Internet access and GPS is important because I use them often.

At the moment Im looking at something that can complement the Note 3 - I will take new phone out work and leave the Note 3 when Im going out dinner or something. If I can get a new phone that can completely replace the Note 3, that is even better!

I solely use my phone for calls, texts and information gathering (internet research, finding location). I dont game or use intensive apps.

Im willing to spend $200, but can stretch it to $400 for the device of my dreams.

Cheers
Old 28th February 2017, 9:51 AM   #2
power

Telstra rebrand a fairly decent ZTE device. Even ships with a glass screen protector.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-ph...tra-tough-max#

Probably higher than your budget but the only other real options are getting a real tough case not just using a phone nekid.
Old 28th February 2017, 10:18 AM   #3
supasaiyan

Sony Z1 or Z3 would fit what you're after.. i sold my Z1 for $100ish and my Z3 for $200ish
supasaiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 2:57 PM   #4
CoHmodderSolo Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Telstra rebrand a fairly decent ZTE device. Even ships with a glass screen protector.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-ph...tra-tough-max#

Probably higher than your budget but the only other real options are getting a real tough case not just using a phone nekid.
Ive tried to avoid long term plans since my Note 3 but that looks like a good option. Ill consider it, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasaiyan View Post
Sony Z1 or Z3 would fit what you're after.. i sold my Z1 for $100ish and my Z3 for $200ish
Ive never thought much about Sony phones, are they considered as 'rugged'?
Old 28th February 2017, 3:04 PM   #5
supasaiyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoHmodderSolo View Post
Ive never thought much about Sony phones, are they considered as 'rugged'?
nowadays, pretty much all the smart phones are basically the same (in terms of "ruggedness" - apart from the Active range of Galaxy's). I had a pretty thick case on my z1/z3 and they lasted through a couple of under 3 kids using them for a while, with no real damage. Only time i damaged it, was when i took the case off and then managed to drop it which messed up one of the corners a bit

Overall, they are pretty good phones. Camera was good for outdoor pictures but found that inside pictures used to be a bit grainy. The waterproofing was good (as long as you keep the charging flaps closed, can get magnetic chargers so you don't have to open the flaps)
supasaiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 3:13 PM   #6
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasaiyan View Post
nowadays, pretty much all the smart phones are basically the same (in terms of "ruggedness" - apart from the Active range of Galaxy's). I had a pretty thick case on my z1/z3 and they lasted through a couple of under 3 kids using them for a while, with no real damage. Only time i damaged it, was when i took the case off and then managed to drop it which messed up one of the corners a bit

Overall, they are pretty good phones. Camera was good for outdoor pictures but found that inside pictures used to be a bit grainy. The waterproofing was good (as long as you keep the charging flaps closed, can get magnetic chargers so you don't have to open the flaps)
You reckon? Every modern smartphone IMO needs a good tough case or it'll get destroyed the first time it's dropped.

The tough max is IP67 rated against dust and moisture also has wireless charging - no opening flaps and the body is rubberised to protect it from drops. Has blue tick and 4GX. I'm no fan of ZTE's Android skin but I've seen a lot worse and the OP's requirements from that side aren't demanding anyway.

We buy these for our warehouse managers because well they drop shit and have yet to have a broken one.

They are available outright - but they are not cheap, but then they aren't junk either so there's that. Last time I was in a Telstra store they had them on display to look at.

I don't know of any other tough smartphones but I'm sure they are out there, as I said though, most phones can survive quite a lot of abuse in a good case - but it's gotta be chunky.
Old 28th February 2017, 10:52 PM   #7
Hater

http://www.catphones.com/phones/b15-smartphone.aspx

Just an idea.
Hater is offline   Reply With Quote