Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Other Toys/Hobbies

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 2nd March 2017, 11:56 PM   #1
Ratzz Thread Starter

Default bumzilla's new his n' hers Desk.

A little project I'm working on for bumzilla.

He wanted a 2m/+ his and hers desk, but the nearest he could find to what he wanted was a chipboard thing in Officeworks for 400 bucks, and only 1600 wide so not long enough for two people.

I like to build things nice and chunky. Strong and simple.
This desk features a simple box joint construction, using builders adhesive on the joints, and expanding glue on dowels. No screws or nails at all.

Heres the initial plan. Its made from 2x 2100mm L x900m W x30mm thick laminated pine benchtops. Some minor changes were made, like the location of joints and dowels, but you get the idea.

Desk dimensions will be 2100mm L x600 W x 730mm H

Cutting the joints. I clamp 2 pieces together, saw them together, they come out identical. Perfect.

My Rig

Last edited by Ratzz; 3rd March 2017 at 12:44 AM.
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 2nd March 2017, 11:57 PM   #2
Ratzz Thread Starter

Making some dowels. Its 12mm Tassie oak, dictated by the thickness of the 30mm benchtop and the fact Bunnings only has 12mm dowel in Tassie oak 12mm is the thinnest I would like it to be, but much thicker and you risk splitting the bench you are doweling into. The grooves are to allow the glue to spread and expand better.

The glue is Tarzans Grip Ultimate Strength. It's moisture activated, and expands like foam to make an extremely strong bond. Excess just scrapes or sands off when dry.

Here I've used the dowels, glue and clamps to attach the bolsters which will hold the centre brace.

Although it appears the timber is sitting on the concrete, its actually on the 70mm thick bolster that the dowels are driven into.

My Rig

Last edited by Ratzz; 3rd March 2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 2nd March 2017, 11:57 PM   #3
Ratzz Thread Starter

And here, attached the centre brace to the uprights. Just glue and clamps here, but the adhesive has changed to liquid nails. I left it clamped for a couple days before proceeding.
In the first shot, you can see the other benchtop, already cut as this one was lengthwise by the good people at Bunnings. The 900mm wide benchtops were cut into 2x 600mm and 2x300mm widths.

One of the 600mm wide lengths was then cut at home to provide me with the two 730mm uprights, and the other will be the benchtop. One of the 300mm widths was shortened by 60mm to become the centre brace.

My Rig

Last edited by Ratzz; 3rd March 2017 at 12:56 AM.
Old 2nd March 2017, 11:58 PM   #4
Ratzz Thread Starter

Spot the deliberate mistake.... I'm getting old I'll find a way of making it look good though, and it wont be highly visible anyway. The big feature here is the huge amount of space available for cables, power boards, and anything else you want to hide.

Here you get some idea of how it works. Before cutting...

and it needs a few holes cut for the cable entries. These are 5 bucks each at officeworks, white or black.

My Rig
Old 2nd March 2017, 11:58 PM   #5
Ratzz Thread Starter

The ends of the benchtop cut and dropped into the uprights. At this point I've forgotten to dowel the main brace to the bolsters, but moving it around all the time, it didn't flex or shift at all even before adding the benchtop.

I've used liquid nails on these joints, and all other joints. Only the dowels used a different adhesive.

You can see in this pic an experimental piece I've been staining. Not happy, it needs to be darker but not yellower. I might try adding some japan black to the maple stain.

Along the top of the centre brace, I ran a heavy bead of liquid nails, as well as all the contact surfaces between the uprights and benchtop. I then used 3" screws in exactly the same places as I planned to put dowels, substituting for clamps overnight.

Next day, removed the screws, drilled the dowel holes into the screw holes, and dowelled the already perfectly square desk.

I then used a circular saw to cut 30 slices from the corners, a beginning to a rounded edge. You'll also see that the holes have been cut for the cable entries.

I also had to insert the 18mm dowels I've used to mount the centre brace to the bolsters from the back, I'd forgotten these, the thing was already so solid.

My Rig

Last edited by Ratzz; 3rd March 2017 at 12:43 AM.
Old 2nd March 2017, 11:58 PM   #6
Ratzz Thread Starter

Heres where I'm at now..

I'll now use this rear section as a test bed for stain, bumzilla has a particular colour in mind which I'd like to duplicate. All I can do is try Once I get his approval, I'll do that area over in a very dark stain, and the visible areas will get the chosen colour.

Things remaining.. of course I'd like to clean up the remaining joints with filler as I have with these.

Then I have to fix the deliberate mistake.. remember that? The bolsters were supposed to be on the BACK of the bloody centre brace.. now I have to make them look good. I'm considering some nice floral carving with a dremel and some contrasting woodfiller as a faux inlay.

Then of course the whole shebang gets sanded back, stained, sanded back, stained, stained, sanded back, lacquered about 10 coats thick, then sanded and polished to a satin sheen.

I'll be using Cabot's water based Flooring Lacquer. It's designed for heavy traffic flooring, I've used it on many benchtops, its pretty much invulnerable. Very easy to use too of course being water based. The kitchen I did with it in the pic below is still as new after some years now.

Oh, and of course it will have some kind of low profile feet on it. Probably just some flat plastic castors, I can't see anyone wanting to move it very often

How much am I charging him? More than the smaller $400 chipboard officeworks flat pack desk, less than I probably should. I do it because I like doing it No further details offered...

If you are interested in the kitchen I mentioned above, and some of my other work, then I have a thread for it HERE.

Our his n' hers desk looks like this.. also using Cabots Flooring.

I might have to post a video of my fish pond in another thread

My Rig

Last edited by Ratzz; 3rd March 2017 at 12:41 AM.
Old 3rd March 2017, 6:03 AM   #7
mad_mic3

sweet as
mad_mic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 8:36 AM   #8
Ratzz Thread Starter

Thanks man.. not up to your standard but I love making shit.

My Rig
Old 3rd March 2017, 9:07 AM   #9
Azrael

Looking good. Out of interest, was the benchtop from Bunnings? The only solid wood stuff they seem to have at the ones over here are $600+
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 9:53 AM   #10
Ratzz Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
Looking good. Out of interest, was the benchtop from Bunnings? The only solid wood stuff they seem to have at the ones over here are $600+
Yeah, that would be right. Any kind of solid wooden benchtop would cost a mint, not many trees grow that thick.

These are laminated pine, ie multiple planks of pine glued and fingerjointed together. You can buy laminated benchtops at Bunnings for around $100, usually in a choice of different woods. Just as strong as a solid benchtop, although maybe not as nice to look at, and unlike a single piece of wood, a laminated benchtop will not bow or warp.

I've chosen pine because its one of the cheaper options, it can be easily stained to almost any colour you want, and its easy to work with. In particular, this benchtop was 900mm wide, which meant I could get both 600 and 300 widths from the same benchtop, saving me from buying a 3rd benchtop.

Disadvantage of pine of course is that being a soft wood, its fairly easy to mark, but the Cabots Lacquer sorts out that problem really well.

My Rig

Last edited by Ratzz; 3rd March 2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:42 AM   #11
mad_mic3

do you use 000 steel wool in between coats or just free cut paper
mad_mic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:09 AM   #12
Azrael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
Yeah, that would be right. Any kind of solid wooden benchtop would cost a mint, not many trees grow that thick.

These are laminated pine, ie multiple planks of pine glued and fingerjointed together. You can buy laminated benchtops at Bunnings for around $100, usually in a choice of different woods. Just as strong as a solid benchtop, although maybe not as nice to look at, and unlike a single piece of wood, a laminated benchtop will not bow or warp.

I've chosen pine because its one of the cheaper options, it can be easily stained to almost any colour you want, and its easy to work with. In particular, this benchtop was 900mm wide, which meant I could get both 600 and 300 widths from the same benchtop, saving me from buying a 3rd benchtop.

Disadvantage of pine of course is that being a soft wood, its fairly easy to mark, but the Cabots Lacquer sorts out that problem really well.
Cool. Must be just the rubbish Bunnings near me then. Oh and by solid wood I meant all wood, as opposed to laminate/melamine/decorative wood laminate stuff that is a thin layer of melamine or wood on top of MDF or chipboard.
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:13 AM   #13
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
I'll be using Cabot's water based Flooring Lacquer. It's designed for heavy traffic flooring, I've used it on many benchtops, its pretty much invulnerable.
Used 2.7m floor boards, pine sleepers and cabot's flooring lacquer to make a setup for my retro gaming area several years back. Was a fraction of the price I'd pay for something store bought, and would outlast a nuclear war.
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:38 AM   #14
Ratzz Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_mic3 View Post
do you use 000 steel wool in between coats or just free cut paper
Once I get to the lacquer stage I don't do anything between coats. I just keep laying it on (obviously using a damp tack rag to wipe between coats ). The beauty of waterbased products Then I use wet sanding 180, 400, 800. For this project I'll stop at 800, as bumzilla wants a low sheen, but on the kitchen pictured above I worked all the way up to 5000 with an automotive RO. With 10 coats, you can keep sanding till you have a mirror with no risk of sanding through the lacquer.

My Rig
Old 6th April 2017, 6:54 PM   #15
ominae

Awesome stuff. Always been keen on making my own furniture but the barrier of entry has always been buying the initial investment in tools :/
ominae is offline   Reply With Quote